Favre clears the air on trade speculation

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bertram said:
but he throws more interceptions than the two combined.

Here's another discussion that's been hashed a dozen times.

If he had a defense of great as the Ravens/Bucs from their Super Bowl years, he wouldn't throw nearly as many because he wouldn't feel he needed to carry the team on his shoulders. Evidence supports that theory when you look at the years the Packers were dominating with their defense.

my theory is that our defense is on their way to becoming a dominating defensive unit.

Because TT has devoted many draft picks and signed some notable free agents. Some of the people in this forum don't even think about that side of the ball Bertram, so please don't get too frustrated!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: shoot, i bet TT is pissed, he probably planned on trading Brett for a 4th round pick in 2008.
then he could taken that pick and traded down to get three picks in the 6th round to get the packers back in the playoffs

On a more positive note maybe TT heard that bullit whiz by his ear and will go ahead and pull the trigger next time. I like what TT has done so far but don't always like what he has not done.

Sometimes you just have to go ahead and do the deal. I would be O.K. with something between his conservative nature and damn the torpedoes. Moss was probably a gamble in that he was either going to be a real player or turn into a real *****. I'm not sure he will ever accept not being the top doq out there and I don't like what he does (or doesn't do) when the ball's not coming his way.

But it's May 14th and we still need another playmaker so let's go here and make a move or two that's going to get us where we want to be. Favre's little tirade may just be that little shove he needed.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bertram said:

If he had a defense of great as the Ravens/Bucs from their Super Bowl years, he wouldn't throw nearly as many because he wouldn't feel he needed to carry the team on his shoulders. Evidence supports that theory when you look at the years the Packers were dominating with their defense.

my theory is that our defense is on their way to becoming a dominating defensive unit.

I agree. I think we are building a defense that will be dominant for a long time. My only major concern is our CB position. I don't think we have two guys on the team who will sufficiently replace Woodson or Harris in the future. Perhaps that's coming in next draft?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:
Zero2Cool said:
Bertram said:

I agree. I think we are building a defense that will be dominant for a long time. My only major concern is our CB position. I don't think we have two guys on the team who will sufficiently replace Woodson or Harris in the future. Perhaps that's coming in next draft?

This Defense is still has a ways to go before being dominant. It does have some nice pieces however. Zero, you make a good point about the CB's. They are not getting much younger. I would also throw the Safeties in there. We all know Manuel is a liability but I was EXTREMELY dissapointed with Collins last year. I hope he can turn it around. I also would like a SAM LB that could cover someone in coverage and a pass rush up the middle.

We have some Key Players and some maybe's. It would be nice to have a dominant Defense like the Ravens did

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think it was a major mistake not drafting a CB in this draft.
I don't know of any CB in this draft that was someone we shouldn't have passed up on. I'm sure after the season has concluded I'll know though.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a deep CB draft, I would have liked to see either Eric Wright, Josh Wilson, Michael Coe or David Irons.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats the one position we did bring in a FA on.

i think the moves made served the d well. plenty of competition at all positions except CB which is arguably the most solid position on the team with the current starters. D-line solid LB solid. CB solid(depth questionable) S iffy to solid. and the same D-coordinator for the first time in like 4 years. i think its on its way.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bertram said:
Zero2Cool said:
Bertram said:

This Defense is still has a ways to go before being dominant. It does have some nice pieces however. Zero, you make a good point about the CB's. They are not getting much younger. I would also throw the Safeties in there. We all know Manuel is a liability but I was EXTREMELY dissapointed with Collins last year. I hope he can turn it around. I also would like a SAM LB that could cover someone in coverage and a pass rush up the middle.

We have some Key Players and some maybe's. It would be nice to have a dominant Defense like the Ravens did

I think Collins will be okay though. Perhaps I'm just being a homer here, but I'm hoping it was just a sophomore slump thing with him.

Manuel, with me he's not even a Packer anymore. I've already celebrated the day he was released.

I think our DL and LB core is pretty solid. If we can get some studs at CB (im talking after Woodson and Harris) and another Safety who can hold his ground. I think we will have a defense that many offenses will struggle against.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
:twocents: shoot, i bet TT is pissed, he probably planned on trading Brett for a 4th round pick in 2008.
then he could taken that pick and traded down to get three picks in the 6th round to get the packers back in the playoffs

On a more positive note maybe TT heard that bullit whiz by his ear and will go ahead and pull the trigger next time. I like what TT has done so far but don't always like what he has not done.

Sometimes you just have to go ahead and do the deal. I would be O.K. with something between his conservative nature and damn the torpedoes. Moss was probably a gamble in that he was either going to be a real player or turn into a real *****. I'm not sure he will ever accept not being the top doq out there and I don't like what he does (or doesn't do) when the ball's not coming his way.

But it's May 14th and we still need another playmaker so let's go here and make a move or two that's going to get us where we want to be. Favre's little tirade may just be that little shove he needed.

Well put Warhawk... that is all most of us want out of this offseason... not to shoot everything to pieces.. just add a piece or two here and there.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Bertram said:
I think it was a major mistake not drafting a CB in this draft.
I don't know of any CB in this draft that was someone we shouldn't have passed up on. I'm sure after the season has concluded I'll know though.

Somehow I think we will regret letting Hall slip by. Not knocking Harrell at all, just a top rated CB was there.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another link of Favre backpedaling. He said before that he wants to finish as a Packer. I'm glad that he's sticking to it, even though I'd rather he were traded or retired.

As for how good your QB has to be. He doesn't have to be good, he just can be bad. Throwing picks and keeping opposing teams in the game doesn't get you through the playoffs. This is Brett's demise.

If we can get him that dominant D again, (and a running game) then maybe he won't have to take as many risks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-favrefallout&prov=ap&type=lgns

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds to me like Brett was incredibly angry over the lack of the trade for Moss and started spouting off. Who of us hasn't done that at one time or another, so lets give him a break. He's a great player, he's a tough player, he's not a perfect human being.

I still don't blame him for spouting off about Thompson not giving him any weapons. Thompson has one of the greatest quarterbacks in the game and what does he do? He sits on all that money. What a shame.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we're reading from the Packers and Brett Favre today is $12 million worth of damage control. I'm guessing Brett hasn't really changed his mind overnight, but it's worth a whole lot of money to him to say he did.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Favre says he was 'frustrated' but doesn't want out of Green

We can't have enough Favre articles/threads.

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Brett Favre released a conciliatory statement today about his desire to play for the Green Bay Packers after a long conversation with General Manager Ted Thompson on Sunday night.

Favre’s statement, released through the team, appears to be a step toward reconciliation with Thompson and the organization. It came after a tumultuous weekend in which Favre criticized the Packers for not acquiring receiver Randy Moss in a trade, followed by a national report that said he’d asked the team to trade him immediately after the draft late last month.

“I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England,” Favre’s statement said in part. “I never wanted to be traded and don’t want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me.”

Favre and the Packers hadn’t determined as of this evening whether he will attend the team’s three-day mandatory minicamp this weekend. Favre won’t participate in the camp because he’s in the late stages of recovering from ankle surgery, and he would prefer to remain in Mississippi to work out and rehabilitate the injury. But a source close to Favre said the quarterback and team would decide probably by today whether he will attend.

In the meantime, an NFL source said Thompson and Favre had a long conversation on Sunday night in a first step toward ironing out any problems between them and bridging the large communication gap that has developed between the two this offseason. Favre and Thompson hadn’t talked since the Moss trade fell through.

Favre then released the written statement through the team today regarding his comments over the weekend and his desire to play for the Packers.

“I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we’re going to see from one year to the next,” Favre also said in his short written statement. “I really enjoy the young guys I’m playing with. I’m working hard down in Mississippi right now rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life.

“I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good.”

On Saturday at his annual charity golf tournament, Favre criticized Thompson’s failure to acquire Moss and questioned whether the Packers really want him to return for his 16th season as their quarterback. Favre had lobbied hard for the Moss deal, and through his regular contact with Moss thought the trade would be completed by the weekend of the NFL draft.

However, the trade fell through, in part because the Packers insisted upon a significant part of Moss’ $3 million to $3.5 million salary be paid in weekly roster bonuses contingent upon him playing that week. Moss rejected that roster-bonus structure and wanted the full salary regardless of whether he were injured. Also, it appears the Raiders and Moss didn’t go back to the Packers for a counteroffer after receiving a bid from New England after the draft’s first day.

After Favre’s public statements Saturday, the Fox Sports Web site reported on Sunday that shortly after the draft. Favre’s agent asked the Packers to trade his client. It said Favre thought he’d been misled about the team’s commitment to adding immediate help on the offensive side of the ball.

Besides releasing the written statement Monday, Favre also called a reporter at his local newspaper in Mississippi, the Biloxi Sun Herald, and said he never wanted a trade.

“If I wanted a trade, I would have forced the issue and got out,” Favre told the newspaper. “But it was never an issue. I am not going anywhere or play for any other team. I am a Packer and want to retire as a Packer. … The organization is first class and has been great to me and my family.”

Neither Thompson nor coach Mike McCarthy was available for comment today.

Reaction score
Favre says he was 'frustrated' but doesn't want out of Green

I think this can fall under the Favre's press release thread you started earlier, basically an expanded view of that release and the events of the weekend.

*merged*

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Read the article, you will see it deserves to be started fresh instead of tossed aside. But hey, what do I know.

Staff online

Latest posts