Farve Decision

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say the 2006 season is a bust because we lost Rivera and Whale. In fact, I believe they had to be let go along w/ Bubba to have any money to play in FA. I stated this on other sites since training camp. GB/OL Coach has done an outstanding job finding quality OL w/ late rd picks and no name FA signings. Again, our 96 & 97 teams didn't have an OL that was as good as this unit was. Coach Larry does a great job putting that unit together and getting it to perform at a high level, and I think he can do it again. What I, and I am sure many of you, didn't anticipate was just how bad GB was strapped against the salary cap. Not only are they releasing quality players to get below the cap, but more importantly, they can not pick up any quality Defensive FAs to improve our Defense. The inability to acquire at least one quality Defensive FA this or last year is what's troubling and probably has more to do w/ whether Farve would want to return for another year. Putting yourself in Farve's shoes, how realistic would it be to think this team, as we know it today, has a shot to do more next year than it did this year?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I remember awhle back after a game in the locker room Brett was being interviewed after a loss and you could almost see it in his eyes that at that very moment he realized he wasn't the same QB he once was. He was saying over and over the receivers did their job and he couldn't have asked for anything more out of them and without saying it directly he was eluding to it was his fault the ball wasn't where it should be for them. Seeing that painful look in his eyes and hearing his tone of voice really got to me, I even felt bad for the guy and I never met him.
With how Brett finished last year I think that sits in the back of his mind and bothers him. Now he has to deal with two new Guards (mind you guard is the easiest position to learn/succeed in the NFL on the OL), then there is Sherman who can focus more on the team now that Ted was brought in, donatell to slowik to bates for defense I think is a huge bright sppt for him although everyone knows he must have loved being able to jus sling it down the field but I think he was drained by thinking if he didnt win the game it wouldnt be won even if they racked up 30 pts.

Bottomline, I have no idea if he is coming back or not. I don't know how to read/judge any of this.

Rhino58

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would he come back if no one is their to protect him from the defense? If Favre comes back, he will probably get alot of injuries.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Rhino58 said:
Why would he come back if no one is their to protect him from the defense? If Favre comes back, he will probably get alot of injuries.

Guards are the easiest to replace on a OL, as long as we have solid Tackles and Flanny comes back 100% I woudln't worry too much about the OL

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Guards are the easiest to replace on a OL, as long as we have solid Tackles and Flanny comes back 100% I wouldn't worry too much about the OL
I'd agree totally here - the Packers were pretty deep last year with the Offense - moreso than on Defense. Some people say Morley won't fit in - I think that's politics and BS. Have you seen his stats with the CFL? That's one hard workin' dude. Kevin Barry'll be there, too!

We'll be fine.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fvre4mvp said:
Move barry to right tackle tausch to left guard flanny at center and pick up a right guard no prob FAVRE FOR 2006

i thought your name said frye4mvp for a sec...i almost called you insane.

favre will be back, the line will be fine im sure. we will make a decent attempt to patch up some of our defensive needs before the offseason is over. we will take the north again.

oh yeah, don't quote me...i've been drinking.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word from Beightol - is he's not moving Tauscher.....!
And, we know Clifton's position is set.
Flanagan has moved spots before... and done well.
Which means he could be moved again - leaving Scott Wells for Center.
Favre's comment about Wells, was he forgot who was playing Center.
The only way that happens - is that you're doing your job THAT well! So look for that as a possible.
Morley's in Europe for some much needed play time....
We have Barry, & Bubba left --- Who else?

OP
OP
S

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't count Barry or Bubba just yet. Some team may still offer either one of them a hugh chunk of money GB can't match.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I've heard - Kevin Barry is not going anywhere....
We'll see exactly what unfolds with Bubba Franks... not so sure he really 'wants' to leave!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The year the Packer won the Super Bowl, they picked up some has been left tackle in Wilkerson because Ruettgers was hurting and because John Michels sucked. Yet they won the Super Bowl with this over the hill has been Wilkerson playing Tackle.

I think the key guys Favre eyes are Walker, Green, and Driver. I think Favre will be happy as long as those 3 guys are around to make plays. Like Wahle said after he signed his contract with Carolina, Favre won MVPs without him before he arrived.

I just hope Bates can do some magic on defense to help Favre out.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would add to AZ's comment, by stating that Brett truly depends on his Center to keep guys from coming straight at him... THAT's one of 'his' main contention points while playing the game.... And to hear him compliment Scott Wells as he did... was phenominal(sp).... I think Scott Wells will be the future starting Center at Green Bay thanks very much in part to what Brett's opinion of him is.... We should shortly be seeing Flanagan moved over to take either Rivera's place or Wahle's.... the other one they'll move in for now will be Kevin Barry... Beightol KNOWS what needs to be done... He's a Coach you can respect!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if this was brought up yet..

Here is are some comments that I think are important from an article in the Journal.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/mar05/307178.asp

Wolf took no exception to new general manager Ted Thompson's frugal approach to free agency and his decision not to shell out big bucks to retain Wahle, Rivera and safety Bhawoh Jue. He said there is no way the Packers can expect to keep everybody.

"I don't think they've lost anything yet," Wolf said.

Wolf said Rivera's durability was a credit to his toughness and desire, but he said the fact he will be 33 years old next year makes it difficult to invest a lot of money in him.
I'm sure they would rather have (Chad) Clifton and (Mark) Tauscher than Wahle and Rivera.

Wolf doesn't see a problem with shedding the team of players who were part of the problem last year. But Bhawoh Jue, to me, that's not a loss. They let Hawthorne go and he's not a player, either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts