Fant or Hockenson?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just by the small cut ups that I've seen, I'm not sure that I'm detecting this "freakish" athleticism that's being advertised for Hockensen. He could be very valuable for a run-heavy team, but let's be honest-Rodgers would prefer a vertical target. Teams don't blitz us that often, and a more dynamic receiving threat is more valuable in Rodgers' hands.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just by the small cut ups that I've seen, I'm not sure that I'm detecting this "freakish" athleticism that's being advertised for Hockensen. He could be very valuable for a run-heavy team, but let's be honest-Rodgers would prefer a vertical target. Teams don't blitz us that often, and a more dynamic receiving threat is more valuable in Rodgers' hands.

Hockenson makes some crazy plays, but I don't think he's a "freak" athlete.

That said, he is definitely a vertical threat. He tracks and high points very well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hock is definitely not a freak athlete.

But he's a pretty dang good athlete for a TE. Definitely above average.

Gronkowski isn't a freak athlete either. It's always nice if players are, but it's not necessary.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hock is the better TE (complete TE). Probably best TE blocker in the draft and above average athleticism with ability to catch. Fant will have some growing pains at blocking. Hock = plug and play. Fant = specialized formation

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Colt Lyerla is/was a freak athlete TE... :cry::laugh:
Yup and it wasn't just injuries that derailed his potential NFL career, drugs and alcohol were an ongoing issue with the guy.

I remember thinking/hoping the guy had the potential to be the next Gronk! :roflmao:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and it wasn't just injuries that derailed his potential NFL career, drugs and alcohol were an ongoing issue with the guy.

I remember thinking/hoping the guy had the potential to be the next Gronk! :roflmao:
Truly wasted potential. Glad packers at least gave him a chance to change.... He just couldn't escape his demons... Definitely a Hernandez type story (RIP).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I personally think that athleticism can be overrated in tight ends. Or at least the type measured at the combine. Being a great receiver at TE is at much about route savvy and physicality as it is about being fast.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think that athleticism can be overrated in tight ends. Or at least the type measured at the combine. Being a great receiver at TE is at much about route savvy and physicality as it is about being fast.

Totally.

And look at a guy like Mike Gesicki. He's a terrific athlete, but he only plays at one speed, and his athleticism rarely showed up on tape. Have to be wary of these guys that test incredibly well but don't play like it.

Reaction score
Say trade back from #12 to #15 with Washington and pick up # 46 it's a plus 300 on the chart but if they want a QB ahead of Miami they probably do it.
Absolutely. Especially at that selection, just look at last years draft and who was available at #13-#15 overall. Then you look at the depth of talent this year and it gets your blood pressure up. The thing that’s oft overlooked is you know who your trade partner will NOT pick at #12 which keeps your top prospect on the board until pick #13 minimum. So if our turn is up and we still have at least 2 guys boarded as equivalent values at pick #12? it’s not probable both get picked back to back so you have a contingency plan.
Theres also a realistic chance our ideal candidate is still there at #15 which would, in turn. make that a brilliant trade.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hock is not a freakish athlete, he is a damn good and smart football player. In high school on a Sat. night he would be lifting weights, his character is just as good as his playing. He was the designated driver for the Hawks. He gives us an every down, every type of play player. Fant will never block like Hock, and more likely to pout if he doesn't get enough throws.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dawson Knox could be a mid round TE who becomes much better as a pro. He's a good blocker and appears to be very athletic.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fant is a much better blocker than people are giving him credit for. He's not on Hockenson's level for blocking but nobody I have ever seen coming out of college is.

One small thing that worries me about Fant is happiness long term. His brother was complaining on Twitter about Noah not receiving enough targets this past season. This remind anyone of Greg Jennings sister? I'm not saying Noah believes everything his brother says nor am I saying it will be a problem, I'm just saying it's possible considering he also didn't play in the bowl game. I don't blame him for not playing in the bowl game because Iowa did underutilize him and he had nothing to gain playing in the bowl game, it's just when you add all of these things up you have to consider how high of a pick you want to use for him. I can't pin point exactly why it didn't work as well for the Hawkeye team and Fant as it should have, but as a Hawkeye fan I feel there should have been more big plays for this kid in the Black and Gold.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both will be around when the Packers pick at #30, but both will be gone when they pick at #44.

As long as Gute does some roster fixing (OLB, OL, S) in Free Agency, I would be just fine with taking Hockenson at #30.

I would honestly be shocked if BOTH are there at #30....one maybe, but BOTH...not gonna happen.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. Especially at that selection, just look at last years draft and who was available at #13-#15 overall. Then you look at the depth of talent this year and it gets your blood pressure up. The thing that’s oft overlooked is you know who your trade partner will NOT pick at #12 which keeps your top prospect on the board until pick #13 minimum. So if our turn is up and we still have at least 2 guys boarded as equivalent values at pick #12? it’s not probable both get picked back to back so you have a contingency plan.
Theres also a realistic chance our ideal candidate is still there at #15 which would, in turn. make that a brilliant trade.

The moment the order was locked in I said this trade is about as obvious to me as any in the past...which means it most likely won't occur. The more non-QBs that get drafted before our 12...that trade value keeps getting sweeter and sweeter.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would honestly be shocked if BOTH are there at #30....one maybe, but BOTH...not gonna happen.
My post was from almost 3 weeks ago when most were mocking both TE's late 1st to mid second. Since then, without playing a single down of Football, Hockenson's stock has slowly been on the rise. So depending on how he does at the combine, the Packers only chance at him might be at #12. If that is the case, I would take a pass on him.

Reaction score
I’m seeing both Iowa TEs going middle to end of day one (maybe beginning day 2) Hock has the edge right now, but some are predicting that Fant’s Test #s at the combine results will close the gap. Its likely we see them go within 15-20 or so picks of one another.

Reaction score
I love Hock at 30.
It’s not out of the equation. No teams picking between 24-29 has TE listed in their top 4 needs. If he makes it past selection #23, we have a legit shot at him. The teams with the greatest need (Denver,Detroit, Bengals etc..) pick before us do we can’t control that So much, but it may be too early to go TE for them even so.

Last edited:

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not out of the equation. No teams picking between 24-29 has TE listed in their top 4 needs. If he makes it past selection #23, we have a legit shot at him. The teams with the greatest need (Denver,Detroit, Bengals etc..) pick before us do we can’t control that So much, but it may be too early to go TE for them even so.

I think it's highly unlikely Hockenson will be there at #30. If we don't take him at #12, there's going to be a couple of need picks, but some GM will stop the fall well before #30 (mid-to-late-teens is what I'm guessing). There are more and more trades on draft day, it doesn't matter what (perceived) needs the teams in front of us have, they can just trade down if they don't need the best player on the board.

Does that mean the Packers should take him at #12? Not necessarily, but if he's BPA, and he very well might be, it's not a bad idea to pull the trigger or someone else will. Do the Packers need an edge rusher or two badly? Sure, but the class is deep and other than Allen not top heavy, no reason to reach for one, just settle for the second or third best at #30. But if you want a TE who can cath and block, well there aren't many choices.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as always i'm not pretending to know who's going where, but if Hock was the pick at 12 and he became TG or Even Jason Whitten, I wouldn't care. That's a win and a fine pick. We need players. I prefer OT or Edge, but good players are good players. Just get a good one, get 2 in the first round :)

Reaction score
I think it's highly unlikely Hockenson will be there at #30. If we don't take him at #12, there's going to be a couple of need picks, but some GM will stop the fall well before #30 (mid-to-late-teens is what I'm guessing). There are more and more trades on draft day, it doesn't matter what (perceived) needs the teams in front of us have, they can just trade down if they don't need the best player on the board.
I agree. There’s many scenarios but one scenario I like is to work a deal with the Redskins. They traded away two picks (a 6th and was a 4th for Dix) But they should get a 3rd comp for Cousins. Also they were awarded 3 more comp picks day 3. Right now, they are also in position to get their choice of one of the top 3 QBs however Miami is in their way at #13.
I believe they would love to jump frog Miami and pick at #12 and get one of the top 2-3 QBs but without losing their shorts. If we traded back to #15 we could pick up their 3rd rounder while trading a 5th and they would still have a 3rd round comp.
They’d likely come out with their original selections (except 1 less 3rd round and one more 5th) while still attaining the QB of their choice.

We’d get #15, #76. Thats enough firepower to package #30 and #76 (or #74)and get in the top #20 range a second time. It also gives us the ability to go with a premier Defender and still have s 50/50 chance of grabbing Hockenson. If he’s gone it’s not meant to be, but having a second pick around #19-#21 range is substantial

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers trade back to #15 with the QB hungry Redskins, I don't think the Packers will have to give up a 5th to get the Redskins 3rd rounder. Will be a straight up Packers trade #12 for the Redskins #15+#76.

Also, if the Dolphins don't want that to happen, they may be willing to trade their #13 pick to the Packers and throw in their #78 pick. This to me would be the more favorable trade.

Sounds like 4 QB's could go in Round 1 (Haskins, Murray, Lock and Jones). Hopefully, the Dolphins and Redskins want the same guy and 1 of them is going to be a very willing trade partner with the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts