Fant or Hockenson?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Or neither? And with which pick?

Personally, I love Hockenson. But I get nervous using a first rounder on TE, especially when I’m unsure of their blocking abilities in the NFL. And historically the difference between a first round TE and second really is not a significant difference. What are everyone else’s thoughts?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We saw what a dynamic TE did to the offense during "run-the-table" of 2016. Spending a first on a TE that can both block and separate from lb's is worth the pick if the TE pans out. Dynamic TE's are incredibly valuable. If Hockensen fits, getting him would be worth the pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think both will be around when the Packers pick at #30, but both will be gone when they pick at #44.

As long as Gute does some roster fixing (OLB, OL, S) in Free Agency, I would be just fine with taking Hockenson at #30.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In a vacuum, Hockenson is a much more impressive prospect. But if you're talking about Hockenson at #12 vs. Fant later, that's a different discussion. I haven't seen very much of Irv Smith Jr., but from the little I have seen I would prefer him to Fant.

Reaction score
Hockenson is the better all around TE.
His run blocking skills are impressive in this TE group and he’s actually fun to watch on tape overall.

My concern is I don’t see him as a viable pick until #20-#30 range and a he’s not a substantial value pick until our pick at #44.
The only way I’d want to spend a pick this high at TE is if we let both Mercedes and Kendricks BOTH walk AND commit to getting said selection on the field (unlike the MIA status of Kendricks and Mercedes). We barely even used 1M worth of the 4M free agent additions last year. But last year was last year and I’m hoping our TEs don’t get ignored again this year.

Not trying to start a war here, but I’d rather get a RB or WR that’s going to be recorded first on the depth chart (used more regular) than a TE that’s listed behind Graham as a second tier option.
Are we truly going to commit to running more double TE sets than double WR sets or RB formations in the backfield??
Whatever the direction, let’s get the best talent on the field in 2019 is my main contention. That’s why OL also makes sense here.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Given Hockenson's versatility, it isn't unrealistic that he could play 50+% of the offensive snaps as a rookie.

Last year in Tennessee, tight ends accounted for 1502 snaps. They played 986 total as an offense. So obviously they were using multiple TE sets quite frequently-- tight ends played 152% of the snaps.

Tight ends accounted for 1366 on the Packers last year, of 1074 total snaps-- 127% of the snaps.

The usage in Tennessee is especially telling given that Delanie Walker, their top TE by a long shot, got hurt in the first game and missed the rest of the season. You would imagine that the total would be higher if he had been healthy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not trying to start a war here, but I’d rather get a RB or WR that’s going to be recorded first on the depth chart (used more regular) than a TE that’s listed behind Graham as a second tier option.

It will be impossible for any rookie wide receiver to pass Adams on the depth chart.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It will be impossible for any rookie wide receiver to pass Adams on the depth chart.

I'm guessing he meant top of the depth chart across from Adams.

I do, however, think that (assuming health to current players) Hockenson would see the field roughly as much as a high pick at RB or WR.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the family, we are crazy if we don't take him at 30 but I don't think he'll be there at 30.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither.

I like Josh Oliver, Irv Smith, or Alize Mack in a later round.

Also I think there is at least one 6th or 7th round TE in this years draft that will make a pro bowl. No idea which one but that’s how deep this draft seems for TEs.

Reaction score
I'm guessing he meant top of the depth chart across from Adams.
Amen. Some versions even show 3 Wideouts (Like GBs)

Unrelated. I’m also not opposed to going TE somewhere day 3. It all depends if we drop both Mercedes and Lance. If we ditch both? I’m ok anywhere round 2 or back.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Amen. Some versions even show 3 Wideouts (Like GBs)

Unrelated. I’m also not opposed to going TE somewhere day 3. It all depends if we drop both Mercedes and Lance. If we ditch both? I’m ok anywhere round 2 or back.

Irv Smith would be an ideal fit in the offense if he lasts.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both will be around when the Packers pick at #30, but both will be gone when they pick at #44.

As long as Gute does some roster fixing (OLB, OL, S) in Free Agency, I would be just fine with taking Hockenson at #30.

That's why itd be great to trade back somehow and end up with 2/3 even 4 2nd round picks.

Say trade back from #12 to #15 with Washington and pick up # 46 it's a plus 300 on the chart but if they want a QB ahead of Miami they probably do it.

Then trade #30 for ideally the colts #34 and #58 plus 260 on the chart but they might do it if they really want somebody.

Or trade #30 to Houston for # 54 and #55 plus 90 on the chart I guess more likely.

But if you can even just make only the deal with the colts wow you'd be sitting pretty to get an elite starter at #12 devin white and a 3-4 de with serious pass rusher potential, Zach Allen at #34 a impact te hockenso/smith/Fant at #44 and acplug and play olinemen Dalton Risner/Chris Lindstrom/elgton jenkins #58

You get that done along with an edge rusher or 2 anthony barr/Dee Ford and a free safety, Earl Thomas in free agency and the pack is back...

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How have the Pats done it? A TE that can do it all, that's Hock, watch his film. BB trots out his te or 2 te with a FB offense and beats on you. By the 2nd half the small quick DE that all teams seem to be in a rush to get are done. Some of the top DE picks in this years draft are in the 245 lb. range, BB has to be licking his chops. Copy the champion.

D

Deleted member 6794

How have the Pats done it? A TE that can do it all, that's Hock, watch his film. BB trots out his te or 2 te with a FB offense and beats on you. By the 2nd half the small quick DE that all teams seem to be in a rush to get are done. Some of the top DE picks in this years draft are in the 245 lb. range, BB has to be licking his chops. Copy the champion.

While Gronk has been the most dominant tight end in the league for several years you once again make the wrong conclusion believing the Patriots having him and using a fullback are the main reasons for them being that successful.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Gronk has been the most dominant tight end in the league for several years you once again make the wrong conclusion believing the Patriots having him and using a fullback are the main reasons for them being that successful.
How would we know, we haven't had either.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t complain if they took Hockenson at pick 30.

I also think that Mississippi State QB, Nick Fitzgerald would be a worthwhile pick in 7th round as a TE prospect.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn’t complain if they took Hockenson at pick 30.

I also think that Mississippi State QB, Nick Fitzgerald would be a worthwhile pick in 7th round as a TE prospect.

At first I didn't want hockenson til #44. It's now clear theres no chance of that happening. I'm still not cool with taking him at #12 but I'm totally good with taking him at #30 if he falls that far.

Some of the plays dude makes are insane and by all accounts he's a super plus blocker. That rushing td he had where he motioned one way turned back caught a direct snap and scores at the pylon wow! Very impressive.

Originally I was a bigger fan of Irv Smith jr and I'm still a big fan of him. I think if hockenson doesnt make it to #30 taking Smith either at that spot or at #44 would be almost as good. I think he's the next best dual threat the, as he's a pretty good blocker as well.

But as far as Fant I'm not a huge fan he's the third option but a distant 3rd behind hockenson and Smith because he's definitely not there as a blocker and for the things I think lafleur wants to do you need the guy who can do both. They already have the one dimensional guy in Jimmy Graham

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hock and Smith are gone at 30, I'd rather pass on Fant and get an Oline or Dline help at 30. The Miss St. QB looked awful slow against Iowa in the bowl game and Iowa doesn't have NFL type speed on D. With teams needing QB's we may be able to walk back our 12 pick then work back up to get Hock and our pass rusher. Hock is like having an extra lineman, gives us options galore with a base O set. Or 2 TE, one back, 2 receiver set. He gives us options without substituting.

Members online

Latest posts