Fan Philosophy

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It plays out every game day in the shoutbox, and in several threads per week. Optimism vrs pessimism.

I started this thread to apologize to those I am sarcastic and short with in the shout box. And I am sorry if I come across as rude, but I still don't get it.

I posted something that summed up my philosophy on the Packers - If they win or lose, it has no affect on me tomorrow. I don't bet on the games and I have no financial stake in any way shape or form with the Packers. My only investment is emotional, and it is 100% under my control to allow that to be as big of an impact as I want to make it.

I laugh at one poster in particular who brags how he warned us after every game how bad the defense was in 2011. He wasn't fooled like the rest of us. He was absolutely validated by virtue of getting bounced in the first game of the playoffs. From my perspective - you missed out on the greatest regular season in Packer history 15-1 by dwelling on and *****zing continually about the negatives you (at least appeared) miserable all season. I, on the other hand, enjoyed a fantastic Packer season.

I don't think some people realize just how difficult it is to win in the NFL. The talent level from the best team to the worse, is not as great as many realize. That is to say, on any given play, any little advantage by any player may result in a big play. But it is that very competitive nature of football that makes it so enjoyable.

I guess to each their own, as for me? I don't expect everything to work on every play. I expect the other team to get the upper hand on plays here or there. But in the end, if your team keeps grinding; keeps playing hard; and you will have the majority number of 'advantaged plays' and you come up with a victory.

The only unforgivable 'sin' I will ever rip a player on is lack of effort - and I haven't seen that as an issue in some time for the Packers.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.

Though the defense was disheartening and at times, hard to watch last year it was still a great ride and if you pay too much attention on the negatives you missed us going 15-1. Then we started out this year 2-3 and some fans wanted everybody fired.

It wouldn't even be exciting if we won every play, every game of every year. As a fan I appreciate winning a little more after losing.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
If you're gonna call me out, just call me out instead of referring to me as "a particular poster".

I'm pretty sure everyone knows who you're referring to anyway.

Why exactly would I get off on bragging about being aware of how ****** our defense was? Do you think I find enjoyment in that?

We did have a great regular season, but we tanked when it mattered and it was mostly in part due to awfulness of our defense and that's what sticks and that's what most people remember.

Nothing is ever going to go smoothly. That's Life. I don't expect an opposing team to go 3 and out on every drive, turn the ball over to us 4 times and pitch a 48-3 shutout every week.

Mistakes are made, but when these same mistakes routinely happen over and over again and don't get corrected after 20 some games, there is a problem and I see nothing wrong with pointing it out, even in a win and even if my opinion never gets to anyone that can do something about it.

We won the last 3 games. Fantastic, but these weren't exactly performances you'd expect from a team labeled as one of the league's elite.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're gonna call me out, just call me out instead of referring to me as "a particular poster".

I'm pretty sure everyone knows who you're referring to anyway.
Honestly, I didn't remember. I was actually thinking of someone else. You are not unique in your negativity.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What I noticed here and in cheesehead tv chat is the exact same thing.

Winning by a lot,....certain posters do not post..

Losing or not doing good. those missing ones come out..

I have witnessed people with in 5 mins of a game blasting them and saying they will lose..5 mins in really?

I give up staying at chat all game...I cant take the non stop bashing...I get mad then start being sarcastic and rude...And I REALLY dont want to be that way...So I exit..

And b4 anyone says a word..

IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO BASH THEM IF YOU WANT.....I just dont want to read it in every line people post..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We won the last 3 games. Fantastic, but these weren't exactly performances you'd expect from a team labeled as one of the league's elite.

Texans game? That wasnt awesome?

We are with out how many guys on defense? And how many on offense and you expected a huge blow out today?

I said it b4...If we had Nelson, Kuhn, Jennings, Woody, Sheilds, and others...We blow them out...Also dont forget...Crosby missed..We had a fumble that led to a td...We had a key drop that would have been 1st down inside their side..

This was a floppy game on offense...We get you want to see a blow out, WE ALL WOULD!!

Sometimes expectations fall short

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess certain people have certain expectations of the Packers. Perfectionists.
And when those expectations aren't met, they get bent out of shape.
Too bad a win isn't enough for them.
There isn't a team in the NFL that doesn't have some flaws. An NFL game and team is too complex, there are too many parts in motion. In a play you can account for everything and have the perfect play called in a stituation, only to have an opposing player make a mistake/bad read and thwart your play.

Players retire, get injured, leave as free agents - as a GM you have to be constantly stocking your shelf. We currently are starting our 4th string ILB - we only have one starter left. How can you plan for that kind of stuff?

At some point, I would think, you can sit back and realize the Packers are one of the elite teams in the NFL and at the start of the season were the most popular Superbowl pick. Winning the SB will be very difficult, but it is great to have a good shot at it - something the Lions/Vikings/etc can only dream about.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are with out how many guys on defense? And how many on offense and you expected a huge blow out today?

I said it b4...If we had Nelson, Kuhn, Jennings, Woody, Sheilds, and others...We blow them out...Also dont forget...Crosby missed..We had a fumble that led to a td...We had a key drop that would have been 1st down inside their side..

This was a floppy game on offense...We get you want to see a blow out, WE ALL WOULD!!

Sometimes expectations fall short

Let's not forget that the Jaguars were missing players too.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lately in the NFL it seems like it only matters when you peak. I know we have the talent and can peak.

Find me a top team this season that didnt have a game where they struggled against a team that sucked

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is this:

Yesterday's game vs. the Jags was the first game that I have ever been a part of the shoutbox DURING the game for the whole game. I don't think I ever will do that again, and that is just my choice.

Why? Well, as AM and some others put it: Too much negativity and bashing. I will admit that I voiced my opinion here and there, but I tried to stay as positive as possible. Sorry that I told to AJ HAWK to "wrap up his tackles! -expletive!-" I got so caught up in the moment that I let that come out. I shouldn't have. Besides Finley's "rooster dance" which I now know is a shark fin, I really didn't take anything else away from the shoutbox that I was glad I left with.

I am a Packers fan, through and through. Even though Finley isn't my favorite Packer of all time he is still a Packer and I can't hang him out to dry. Why? Well, mostly because he is a real easy target to complain about but then when he makes a big catch like he did in yesterday's game I sure as hell wasn't whining "******** it, Finley caught the ball!" . No, I was pumped up, and happy! You have to take the good with the bad.

Every week is a new week, and with it a new chance for the players in a slump to break out and be great. I cannot sit here and say that I am not disappointed when the Packers lose, and angry sometimes. I sure am, because I know that our team is better than a loss to the Colts. However, I am not giving up hope for the season or a playoff spot.

3 weeks ago vs. the Texans was an amazing victory, and a game that will stick in my head for a LONG time I think. Last season was epic! I was flying high, and being in an area that natively roots for the 49ers and Raiders, people always came up to me and smiled and said "Hey, your boys are looking good this year!" it felt great. I think that EVERYONE and me in particular had a major sense of "wind let out of the sails" after the 2011 Divisional game. We would be lying if we said other wise. I had a bad feeling all day that day, but now I use THAT Game and the Colts game as fuel for my fire. It is my inspiration and I think that the Packers players do too.

So, in closing because I have to leave for work here in about 3 minutes...lets all just try and stay as positive as possible. We are not perfect, no one is. Our tempers can, and more than likely will get the better of us. However, at the end of the day when all the dust has settled and the smoke has cleared would you want Vince Lombardi and Aaron Rodgers to see you pissed at the team or players even though we won?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if some people carry this over to everyday life or its just a sports thing

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
See post by Hard Right Edge above

I see 2 db? unless Rahean didnt play, never noticed

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-injury-.../3566588/jaguars-packers-inactives-nfl-week-8

For the Jaguars, cornerback Derek Cox (back), wide receiver Laurent Robinson (concussion), safety Dwight Lowery (ankle) and running backs Maurice Jones-Drew (foot) and Montell Owens (shoulder).are listed as inactive. Cornerback Rashean Mathis, despite a groin injury, is listed as active. Defensive tackles D'Anthony Smith and Jeris Pendleton are also active.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see 2 db? unless Rahean didnt play, never noticed

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-injury-.../3566588/jaguars-packers-inactives-nfl-week-8

For the Jaguars, cornerback Derek Cox (back), wide receiver Laurent Robinson (concussion), safety Dwight Lowery (ankle) and running backs Maurice Jones-Drew (foot) and Montell Owens (shoulder).are listed as inactive. Cornerback Rashean Mathis, despite a groin injury, is listed as active. Defensive tackles D'Anthony Smith and Jeris Pendleton are also active.

Game day inactives for Jags.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Jacksonville Jaguars
21 CB Derek Cox
24 RB Montell Owens
25 DB Dwight Lowery
32 RB Maurice Jones-Drew
81 WR Laurent Robinson
95 DT D’Anthony Smith
98 DT Jeris Pendleton
Starting lineup changes: On offense, #84 Cecil Shorts III will start in place of #81 Laurent Robinson at wide receiver. On defense, #42 Chris Prosinski will start in place of #25 Dwight Lowery at free safety.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An NFL game and team is too complex, there are too many parts in motion. In a play you can account for everything and have the perfect play called in a stituation, only to have an opposing player make a mistake/bad read and thwart your play.

Players retire, get injured, leave as free agents - as a GM you have to be constantly stocking your shelf. We currently are starting our 4th string ILB - we only have one starter left. How can you plan for that kind of stuff?
Bingo!
ALL of us on here are nothing but armchair quarterbacks and coaches.
NONE of us really has any idea on how to run, play or coach a pro NFL football team let alone a game.
We think we do. But we really don't unless anyone on here can honestly claim that they played or coached even just one down in the NFL.
Packers would not have won even one game and losing each game badly if anyone on this forum was a coach.
That is why we are here and the coaches are there in Lambeau every week.
Thank god for that.

Sure, we can get frustrated with our team. But for it to get to a point of "Why didn't this happen and I would have done a better job" is not only arrogant but also foolish.

We shouldn't expect everything to go our way every time. You gotta be flexible and take the bad with the good.
If anyone on here really wants to know what frustration with a team every week is like, then become a Browns fan.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

What teams has looked like one of the elites for the last couple weeks?

The Falcons have won all their games, only yesterday did they dominate.

The Niners? The Texans? Patriots? Maybe.. Seattle? Noo... Chicago. Err squeeking by.. let me think here.. someone has to have been completely dominate. The Raven... oh yeah.. blown out last week. The Giants.. wait didn't they win by a fingertip yesterday.

The Point is.. with football as we all know it from yesteryear.. there are no dominate teams anymore. Every team has warts with caps and free agency.

Where it comes into play is minimizing the holes or weaknesses... there I will agree with your assessment from last season. We never addressed our two pressing issues last season.. failing to run and defense.

The last three weeks of football is more about getting this team ready again for the playoff push in becoming a more balanced team.. thus a better team. Worry not about how you win.. just win. Especially while working towards becoming a more complete team.

Style points or "Looking dominate" means little.. just win.

Members online

Latest posts