Family night 2021

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players who stood out to me:

Funchess - he looks like a great weapon. So big and he uses his body well.

Hill - lots of pop. I think he will get a bunch of carries and give Jones a few breaks.

Aaron Rodgers - he is in great shape and has a different attitude

Jordan Love - fumbled the snap twice. Made a spectacular throw that was dropped and made a few throws that needed to be better.

Stokes looked good. He was covering Adams and at first I thought that wasn't fair, but then thought they were not exploiting him but it was a learning process for him.

Tonyan took another step.

Chandler Sullivan was very active. Tough to gage without tackling, but looked pretty good.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair, the practice was held during a steady rain. Rodgers threw a pick when Savage had an acrobatic catch after DA17 bobbled and lost it. Tonyan did look good. Jaire had a nice break up on a throw to DA17. Starting defense looked to be a page behind the offense.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Rodgers has a great attitude"

To people who love him and always have I understand where you get to this line of thought. For those of us who see and have seen flaws and have been horselaughed on the board for years I saw a guy who Roger Phoebe's boyfriend on Friends would've had a field day with 'love me adore me I need it or I'm not validated'

Now that the psych eval portion of the post is over let's talk about the players.

Adams with the big drop on the INT.

Jordan Love in year 2 is not gonna be Aaron Rodgers in year 6...Aaron Rodgers year 2 wasn't Aaron Rodgers year 6. Jury is still out for me on this guy.

I was looking forward to seeing Slaton in one on one situations, and maybe he was in 2nd gear all night but I didn't see much. I had actually hoped he would take a starting position week 1. It can happen, but I still would've liked to see more from him last night.

McCarren and Larrivee making it sound like Campbell is the starter inside...I don't buy it. I think Martin and Barnes are the starters week one, but if Campbell is the starter I think Barnes is the odd man out of the 3.

Biggest takeaway for me. Sh** weather, wet field...no slipping issues and NO injuries!

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Love in year 2 is not gonna be Aaron Rodgers in year 6...Aaron Rodgers year 2 wasn't Aaron Rodgers year 6. Jury is still out for me on this
I want to see if Love can move the offense down the field and score. Successful drives are what I want to see from Love. If Love struggles during the preseason it will not bode well for the future of the Packers.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see if Love can move the offense down the field and score. Successful drives are what I want to see from Love. If Love struggles during the preseason it will not bode well for the future of the Packers.
Ehhhhh. The Packers won't be using their regular season playbook during the pre-season, so it is always hard to judge backup quarterbacks due to not only that fact but also that he will be playing with the #2 stringers at best most snaps. Last night he showed how much of a cannon arm he has and that he is composed in the pocket.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ehhhhh. The Packers won't be using their regular season playbook during the pre-season, so it is always hard to judge backup quarterbacks due to not only that fact but also that he will be playing with the #2 stringers at best most snaps. Last night he showed how much of a cannon arm he has and that he is composed in the pocket.
Well...we have nothing else to go by. IMO, good QB's show they can move the ball and make plays in the preseason, even with a vanilla offense.

Since Rodgers isn't playing, I expect to see 1st stringers out there with Love, with the exception of Adams.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rodgers rookie year. Ive posted it b4.

Lot of inconsistent throws.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He looked awful his first 2 years but back to my earlier point, a lot of that is due to the pre-season playbook and playing with mostly non-starters. It is something every backup has to overcome

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

That's how he looked quite a few times in 2019 as I remember it. Couldn't hit the RB circling out, short hopping passes on the crossing routes. That is why Love is on the roster.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players who stood out to me:

Funchess - he looks like a great weapon. So big and he uses his body well.

Hill - lots of pop. I think he will get a bunch of carries and give Jones a few breaks.

Aaron Rodgers - he is in great shape and has a different attitude

Jordan Love - fumbled the snap twice. Made a spectacular throw that was dropped and made a few throws that needed to be better.

Stokes looked good. He was covering Adams and at first I thought that wasn't fair, but then thought they were not exploiting him but it was a learning process for him.

Tonyan took another step.

Chandler Sullivan was very active. Tough to gage without tackling, but looked pretty good.
Thanks Amish. I thought Funchess looked to be in great football shape - and for a guy who hasn't played for two years. And I didn't see Tonyan, but if he's better, all the better.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Rodgers has a great attitude"

To people who love him and always have I understand where you get to this line of thought. For those of us who see and have seen flaws and have been horselaughed on the board for years I saw a guy who Roger Phoebe's boyfriend on Friends would've had a field day with 'love me adore me I need it or I'm not validated'

Now that the psych eval portion of the post is over let's talk about the players.

Adams with the big drop on the INT.

Jordan Love in year 2 is not gonna be Aaron Rodgers in year 6...Aaron Rodgers year 2 wasn't Aaron Rodgers year 6. Jury is still out for me on this guy.

I was looking forward to seeing Slaton in one on one situations, and maybe he was in 2nd gear all night but I didn't see much. I had actually hoped he would take a starting position week 1. It can happen, but I still would've liked to see more from him last night.

McCarren and Larrivee making it sound like Campbell is the starter inside...I don't buy it. I think Martin and Barnes are the starters week one, but if Campbell is the starter I think Barnes is the odd man out of the 3.

Biggest takeaway for me. Sh** weather, wet field...no slipping issues and NO injuries!
No injuries is the biggest win from Saturday.

I usually don't pay much attention to PS games, but will this year just to see Love (and maybe Benkert, sp?). After this year I don't expect Rodgers back, and QB will be a serious issue. Hate to waste all the other talent, but we've seen what happens when Rodgers goes down for significant time. The team ends up with 6 wins. It's hard to see how that dilemma gets fixed before next season, but who knows.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no tried and true way to replace a HOF quarterback. The methods have been researched and discussed ad nauseum. You can try to have the next Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings, but that is rare. You can acquire a new QB once the need actually arrives, but acquiring a quality one is rare. You can draft a franchise quarterback once your HOF quarterback is gone, but that is also rare. What is most likely is that we join the large pack of teams on the ever-elusive hunt for a top ten QB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no tried and true way to replace a HOF quarterback. The methods have been researched and discussed ad nauseum. You can try to have the next Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings, but that is rare. You can acquire a new QB once the need actually arrives, but acquiring a quality one is rare. You can draft a franchise quarterback once your HOF quarterback is gone, but that is also rare. What is most likely is that we join the large pack of teams on the ever-elusive hunt for a top ten QB.
Your comment reminds me just how fortunate we've been as fans for 30 years. Yeah we'd all like a few more Lombardis, but we've had competitive, playoff teams most years. GB will likely be in a mini-rebuild the next few years. There is still a lot of talent on the team, but we've seen how far that gets us when #12 goes down. Maybe a change of strategy is in order. Build an elite defense and get a game manager QB. Teams have won SBs that way. It would be a shock to the system, given GBs offensive prowess all these years.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night I reflected not just on having two great QBs in a row, but I started thinking about how both have relatively escaped major injury. Rodgers has had his two collar bone breaks and the calf, but nothing like teams that got good QBs in Carson Wentz and Andrew Luck but saw their careers taken away by injury. We've been lucky on multiple fronts.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night I reflected not just on having two great QBs in a row, but I started thinking about how both have relatively escaped major injury. Rodgers has had his two collar bone breaks and the calf, but nothing like teams that got good QBs in Carson Wentz and Andrew Luck but saw their careers taken away by injury. We've been lucky on multiple fronts.
Good point. And I think Favre would play through a broken leg if they would have let him.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I worry that if Love fails that the northern half of my home state will handle it very poorly. I've come to believe Wisconsin is alot like Florida where the further north you go the further south you get. I hope to God I'm wrong.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I worry that if Love fails that the northern half of my home state will handle it very poorly. I've come to believe Wisconsin is alot like Florida where the further north you go the further south you get. I hope to God I'm wrong.
Best description ever lmao

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
GO I have to agree. In Wisconsin, the further north you go the further south you get in terms of attitude, political outlook, etc. Hilarious.
Except in summer when all the FIBs and Milwaukee-Madison elites hideout in their "up nort'" cabins.

Members online

Latest posts