Exceeding and Failing so far...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buddy and mine that always try to have some Packer discussions had this EARLY season conversation....

What one or two players so far have exceeded your expectations and what one or two have underachieved or failed your expectations?

Exceeded:

It seems odd having him on the list because I was high on him pre-draft and post-draft but Doubs through injury issues has had far more chances than I assumed he would this early and is on pace (EARLY) to greatly exceed my expectation of stats across the board for a WR.

The other guy for me was between Tonyan or Jenkins....both battled through injuries to get back "arguably ahead of schedule"...but I'll give my nod to Jenkins given the banging role an OL has to do and to do it so quickly after a severe injury is incredible and a testament to all the recovery therapy that he had.

Failed/underachieved

Savage...I'm sorry but I'm beginning to be quite unhappy with our decision to pick up his 5th year option at this point. All the 5th year millions I'd rather see go to keep Amos here another year than pay an underachieving safety for a 5th year...

Suprisingly I'm going to go Reed here. He has not played bad, but I truly envisioned his presence keeping Lowry from the field more, but so far Lowry has been our second best interior DL for sure IMO behind Clark which surprises me.

Who you got?

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt Doubs has exceeded expectations so far. Here's a trivia question a friend of mine asked me. How many rookie receivers have had more than the eight catches he had against the Bucs in a game in franchise history? Give it guess and name them. I don't think anyone else on offense or defense has had a bigger impact than expected, therefore I'm going with Pat O'Donnell as my second choice.

On the other side Amari Rodgers (he doesn't even get on the field on offense) and Savage (agree with your take here) have fallen short of expectations.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Doubs has exceeded expectations so far. Here's a trivia question a friend of mine asked me. How many rookie receivers have had more than the eight catches he had against the Bucs in a game in franchise history? Give it guess and name them. I don't think anyone else on offense or defense has had a bigger impact than expected, therefore I'm going with Pat O'Donnell as my second choice.

On the other side Amari Rodgers (he doesn't even get on the field on offense) and Savage (agree with your take here) have fallen short of expectations.

Max McGee?

D

Deleted member 6794

Max McGee?

I'm impressed you got that one correct (I didn't).

Max McGee (9-105-1) is the only rookie receiver in franchise history to have had more than eight receptions in a game back in 1954.

There have been five other before Doubs did it on Sunday with Billy Howton (1952), Boyd Dowler (1959), Gerry Ellis (1980) with Sterling Sharpe and Keith Woodside doing it in the same game in 1988.

Interesting note, the Packers lost all of those games before Doubs achieved it on Sunday.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm impressed you got that one correct (I didn't).

Max McGee (9-105-1) is the only rookie receiver in franchise history to have had more than eight receptions in a game back in 1954.

There have been five other before Doubs did it on Sunday with Billy Howton (1952), Boyd Dowler (1959), Gerry Ellis (1980) with Sterling Sharpe and Keith Woodside doing it in the same game in 1988.

Interesting note, the Packers lost all of those games before Doubs achieved it on Sunday.

Honestly I just threw the first old timer to come to mind because I had zero clue and didn't remember anyone in recent times doing it.

That was pure pure luck as I chose him instead of Sterling cuz for some reason I didn't think he had, but appears I'm wrong in that he at least did eight like Doubs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exceeding expectations I can't argue the Doubs mention at all. Jenkins being back before week 4 exceeded my expectations, but his level of play has not.

I'm going to go with 2 that most people would probably say, but we expected them to be very good and that's true, but so far this year whenever I've watched Kenny and Gary, they seem to have both hit another level in every facet of their games. I think it's hard to be impressed with guys you know are really good, but so far this season both have made me take notice a lot more and with regularity in these games.

Underachieved
Amari, i was excited about this pick. I see bits here so far in the preseason and so far in the regular season. But not much consistency and the inability to crack regular snaps on the offense despite a large need doesn't sit well with me.

Savage is my other. Honestly I don't know how he's doing snap to snap within the defense. I just expect a guy with his physical skill set and now a few years of experience to be making bigtime plays and i'm just not seeing them so far this year at all. He's stood out in a couple for the wrong reasons.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buddy and mine that always try to have some Packer discussions had this EARLY season conversation....

What one or two players so far have exceeded your expectations and what one or two have underachieved or failed your expectations?

Exceeded:

It seems odd having him on the list because I was high on him pre-draft and post-draft but Doubs through injury issues has had far more chances than I assumed he would this early and is on pace (EARLY) to greatly exceed my expectation of stats across the board for a WR.

The other guy for me was between Tonyan or Jenkins....both battled through injuries to get back "arguably ahead of schedule"...but I'll give my nod to Jenkins given the banging role an OL has to do and to do it so quickly after a severe injury is incredible and a testament to all the recovery therapy that he had.

Failed/underachieved

Savage...I'm sorry but I'm beginning to be quite unhappy with our decision to pick up his 5th year option at this point. All the 5th year millions I'd rather see go to keep Amos here another year than pay an underachieving safety for a 5th year...

Suprisingly I'm going to go Reed here. He has not played bad, but I truly envisioned his presence keeping Lowry from the field more, but so far Lowry has been our second best interior DL for sure IMO behind Clark which surprises me.

Who you got?
Yes, Reed should be put to the test. Albeit, the Bucs gave up on the run early because we stopped it, the Bears torched us. We drafted Reed to line up with Clark.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exceeding expectations I can't argue the Doubs mention at all. Jenkins being back before week 4 exceeded my expectations, but his level of play has not.

I'm going to go with 2 that most people would probably say, but we expected them to be very good and that's true, but so far this year whenever I've watched Kenny and Gary, they seem to have both hit another level in every facet of their games. I think it's hard to be impressed with guys you know are really good, but so far this season both have made me take notice a lot more and with regularity in these games.

Underachieved
Amari, i was excited about this pick. I see bits here so far in the preseason and so far in the regular season. But not much consistency and the inability to crack regular snaps on the offense despite a large need doesn't sit well with me.

Savage is my other. Honestly I don't know how he's doing snap to snap within the defense. I just expect a guy with his physical skill set and now a few years of experience to be making bigtime plays and i'm just not seeing them so far this year at all. He's stood out in a couple for the wrong reasons.
Totally agree here and the fact that Clark and Gary are so young excites me

Agree on Amari but surprised he wasn't cut. You have PS guys like Winfree getting more Offensive snaps than you, that's not a good thing

Savage agree, I have always loved the potential but he simply doesn't make enough plays. At this point, it's probably a wash, or even slight preference, to wanting someone like HaHa back there instead

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I expected more out of the iOL. No matter who is there.
The punter is doing better than I am used to seeing along with the improved ST play across the board.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could add Meyers to my underachieving list too. He hasn’t looked the same this year to me

Reaction score
I think Savage has been a relative disappointment considering he’s a highly paid seasoned vet.

I don’t even remember the last time we had a Rookie catch on so fast in the WR room. Doubs is an easy pick for favorable first impression. To me he’s at lowest a WR3-WR4. Which is about what you’d hope for in late Rd4. Ceiling is sky is the limit

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Savage has been a relative disappointment considering he’s a highly paid seasoned vet.

I think you may be confused on him. He is still on his rookie deal and is only hitting the cap for sub $4M - which isn't crazy. I concur with you of course given my original stance, but he isn't a highly paid seasoned vet however.

Now his 5th year option we picked up for next year ****** me off.....gonna cost us nearly $8M

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My disappointment so far, based on only 3 games, though, has been Watson. I really thought Doubs was the more NFL-ready immediately to play, but I sure thought Watson would be very productive. And his preseason/regular season injury status has held back his development.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree here and the fact that Clark and Gary are so young excites me

Agree on Amari but surprised he wasn't cut. You have PS guys like Winfree getting more Offensive snaps than you, that's not a good thing

Savage agree, I have always loved the potential but he simply doesn't make enough plays. At this point, it's probably a wash, or even slight preference, to wanting someone like HaHa back there instead
Except for the Viking game the opposing QB has not taken a whole lot of shots down the field. Savage will get put to the test more as the year goes on like when we see Stafford and Kupp. He will then have to make plays or else.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poor Savage. If Campbell doesn't deflect the 2 pt. pass then Savage breaks up the play (I think it was Savage on the coverage) and he is the hero. At least for a minute or two.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poor Savage. If Campbell doesn't deflect the 2 pt. pass then Savage breaks up the play (I think it was Savage on the coverage) and he is the hero. At least for a minute or two.

I had PI most likely happening as he was pulling/spinning WR, Campbell making contact with ball means contact can occur and erases the PI I think was coming.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If 2 players can break up a play then we must be pretty good on D. I hope that can continue.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with the overachiever being Doubbs

Underachievers I have 3.

BOTH Safeties: Yes this goes back to last year, but there's something wrong on the back end of the defense and I can't always tell that it's Savage.

Aaron Rodgers: I don't care if he's gonna be 40 by the end of the regular season. He's deified by Packers fans everywhere, he didn't show up against Minnesota, and barely did against Tampa Bay. The INT not only was his fault this past weekend, but I couldn't tell you with WHERE he threw that ball what he thought he could do with that throw and get a positive outcome. This was a Favre into triple coverage type mind boggling throw.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers QB rating against the Bucs, 103.4. The majority of NFL QBs would give their left ear to get that on any given week. Yet, Packer fans call that average, or a failure on Rodgers part because there was a pick, and he didn't put up 3 TDs, and 300 yards.

Me? I'm satisfied that the team did enough to win, even though they didn't hit on all cylinders. Their offense is a work in progress. I don't know if people noticed it, but our RBs didn't do over 3 yards a carry. Yet, because of the O-Line, they get a pass, but Rodgers doesn't?

Interesting.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers QB rating against the Bucs, 103.4. The majority of NFL QBs would give their left ear to get that on any given week. Yet, Packer fans call that average, or a failure on Rodgers part because there was a pick, and he didn't put up 3 TDs, and 300 yards.

Me? I'm satisfied that the team did enough to win, even though they didn't hit on all cylinders. Their offense is a work in progress. I don't know if people noticed it, but our RBs didn't do over 3 yards a carry. Yet, because of the O-Line, they get a pass, but Rodgers doesn't?

Interesting.
like I said in another thread, or maybe this one, it always amazes me just how little people appreciate just how good our QB is.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Interesting.

I am critical of Rodgers more than many but I think he did fine as well. Better than fine. He showed he is one of the best.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had PI most likely happening as he was pulling/spinning WR, Campbell making contact with ball means contact can occur and erases the PI I think was coming.
I said that out loud to my wife right after it happened.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts