Ex Packer Safety cut....

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Oakland Raiders released Marques Anderson. So he didn't make it out their either. Can anyone think of who we got for him,I think it was a draft pick or two.but who did it turn out to be? :shrug: :kickcan:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish we still had Anderson. He didnt have a bad season exept he kept getting hurt. But for this year I wish we had him.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
I wish we still had Anderson. He didnt have a bad season exept he kept getting hurt. But for this year I wish we had him.

Nahh....I like all of our younger guys over him. I can live with mistakes the first year. Anderson was a terrible tackler.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
agopackgo4 said:

Nahh....I like all of our younger guys over him. I can live with mistakes the first year. Anderson was a terrible tackler.

The irony here is Anderson was sought after because of his hard hitting in college. He's another guy who couldn't make the transisition.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Folks, with Anderson it was the off the field stuff more than the one the field stuff. When with the Packers he took bad angles and picked up Sharpers tacking form but he was better than Edwards. Case closed.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Folks, with Anderson it was the off the field stuff more than the one the field stuff. When with the Packers he took bad angles and picked up Sharpers tacking form but he was better than Edwards. Case closed.

yo sherlock reopen the case and give some details about the off field stuff please

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Raiders last year had him starting and his tackling greatly improved once he was a Raider.

The Raiders run the opposite type camp to Green Bay's. They are in Napa with tarps surrounding the fields and security guards keeping people away who might peek through cracks. The media can report only what they are told.

The true story may never be known.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is what I found in the Contra Costa Times:

NAPA -- An injury to starting strong safety Derrick Gibson necessitated the trade for Marques Anderson late in training camp last year. Things came full circle Monday, as Gibson's return to full strength prompted the Raiders to release Anderson.

Anderson began training camp as the front-runner to retain the job he held last season. However, Gibson consistently made plays in practice and exhibition games and surged ahead of Anderson two weeks ago.

"(Pass) coverage, playing in the way we want to play, playing all the deep stuff, is not his strength," coach Norv Turner said of Anderson. "He's very good down inside."

Gibson said he felt all along that it was his job and that Anderson's release came as no surprise.

"I just keep doing what I've been doing," Gibson said. "I can only control the things that I can control. It will take you a long way in this league. ... I feel like they have a lot of confidence in me."

As I said Marques Anderson really made his mark as a tackler with the Raiders playing the run. Apparently his deep coverage was not good enough.

I do not think the Packers did enough tackling in practice in the past. It seems to have improved with Bates. I always found it interesting that Anderson and Jue did well as rookies and then got worse while with the Packers.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Two draft picks that we later traded for R-Kal Truluck.

I was surprised we were able to get a 5th and 6th round pick for Anderson. I wish we would have had those picks for TT to use in the draft instead of trading them for Truluck. TT might have been able to dig up a couple of more gems in the draft if he had those picks. Oh well. I'm still happy with our draft so far. I can't say I've been happy with Truluck, but he looked better the other night going against some 3rd stringers.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer fans complained about Anderson's missed tackles, but I thought his problem was more in coverage. I remember him making some good, aggressive tackles near the line of scrimmage. I think most of the missed tackles in the NFL are not because of bad tackling technique but because the player has not put himself into a good position to make the tackle. That was more Anderson's problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts