EX-Packer Adam Timmerman cut by the Rams

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams release veteran guard Timmerman

NFL.com wire reports

ST. LOUIS (Feb. 26, 2007) -- The St. Louis Rams have released veteran guard Adam Timmerman, a team stalwart who played in two Super Bowls for the team.

Timmerman was informed by Rams coach Scott Linehan he was being released from the club, his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said. Timmerman, 35, has no plans to retire.

"I think they just wanted to make a change," Bartelstein said. "It's a difficult thing for Adam. He feels great and he's looking forward to having a great season.

"His body feels great and he's ready to go. This is a tough part of the business."

The Rams were expected to announce the release Feb. 28, though Bartelstein said it could happen as early as Feb. 27. Linehan was at the NFL's annual scouting combine in Indianapolis.

Timmerman had both shoulders operated on after last season and ended this season with a rib injury.

The Rams signed Timmerman as a free agent from Green Bay after the 1998 season. He became part of the starting lineup at right guard and stayed there the next eight seasons, earning two Pro Bowl selections and appearing in 10 playoff games and two Super Bowls for the Rams.

Timmerman had a streak of 204 consecutive games, including the playoffs, since his rookie season in 1995 with the Packers. However, he missed the Rams' last three games last season due to cracked ribs.

The Rams brought in a young offensive line that included Richie Incognito at Timmerman's right guard spot. Incognito will have that spot at the start of training camp.

Rams offensive coordinator Greg Olson said in January that the team has some "aging veterans up front who have done a tremendous job for the team," but who eventually would be replaced.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ah you guys love these old dinosaurs too much.

im gonna go ******** to my brett favre posters now.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ah you guys love these old dinosaurs too much.

Since Adam left the Packers he started every game, 204 consecutive games, until during game 14 last year he suffered multiple rib fractures.

He is not brittle but very tough and with his record of starting in the league it is not correct to seriously call him over the hill.

Linehan the new coach (infected with purple slime) probably wants his guys in the line up.

Check out this article
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...715E227CB4072D908625728F0017A772?OpenDocument

"The Rams were the NFL's losingest team in the 1990s when Timmerman was signed from Green Bay in free agency following the 1998 season. He was immediately inserted into the starting lineup at right guard and stayed there for the next eight seasons, playing in two Super Bowls, 10 playoff games overall and two Pro Bowls.

Timmerman played with toughness and athleticism, also displaying a willingness to play through pain. He compiled a streak of 204 consecutive regular-season and playoff games dating back to his rookie season (1995) with Green Bay.
But Timmerman missed all but one snap of the final three games of 2006 because of cracked ribs.

Timmerman said he never felt embraced by Linehan and his coaching staff.

"I didn't feel that I was somebody they put much stock in, or that they cared that much about here," Timmerman said. "I don't know (why). It wasn't as if I didn't try to buy into the system."

Linehan took exception to those remarks.

"If that was the case, he wouldn't have started 13 games," Linehan said. "He did a very admirable job for us this year. This is the tough part of the business when you get guys that are at the end of the career. Very few get to go out like John Elway did."

"From some conversations I've had around the league, I anticipate that there's going to be a lot of interest in Adam," said Mark Bartelstein, Timmerman's agent.

Releasing Timmerman saves the Rams $1.3 million in cap space. Timmerman was due a $200,000 roster bonus next month.
I just don't see this as being a good move by the Rams with regard to the salary cap or degradation in play.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's pretty old for an O-lineman. I always wished the Packers wouldn't have let him go. Now he's getting on in age.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always wished the Packers wouldn't have let him go. Now he's getting on in age.

Wolf said it was a choice between Earl Dotson and Adam Timmerman.
The Packers had Marco Rivera as a replacement OG but hadn't drafted Tauscher yet.

One of the tough decisions a GM has to make. In hindsight it would have been better to keep Adam. Adam has been to 4 Super Bowls and multiple ProBowls. Not bad for a late round draft pick.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Cali......every year they have to make tough decisions. And of course hindsight makes it easy for us to figure out which moves were right or wrong! :rotflmao:

Members online

Latest posts