Evans suspended.

Reaction score
Actually that was not my point at all. I mentioned that I didn't like the way the Packers defended the running game in the second half.
Ok sounds good we all want less yards by our opponent. That said the end justifies the means.

The next best scenario in a game we are winning by multiple scores and running up and down the field on them, is if you do allow those yards? (it’s not always going to work out perfectly in each contest) do what’s important and make them eat clock. It limits how many times we each see the ball again.

As far as our Offense also in a multi-score Win. That’s why smart players stay in bounds going into the 4th quarter (or vice versa for the team that’s 2 scores behind) and especially as the game clock exceeds 80% of its totals. :40 seconds off that game clock is often more important than struggling for 2 more yards etc.. That’s the point I was making.

I enjoy the cerebral part of the game. The clock is a major part of the rules and if it’s used effectively it can be a tool that will Win or Lose games. Yards and Stats don’t always paint a perfect picture. Just ask Josh Allen and his Coordinator, they made some mistakes that likely cost them a game and I knew it evidenced by his cracked football helmet and the broken IPad in pieces in the booth.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Ok sounds good we all want less yards by our opponent. That said the end justifies the means.

The next best scenario in a game we are winning by multiple scores and running up and down the field on them, is if you do allow those yards? (it’s not always going to work out perfectly in each contest) do what’s important and make them eat clock. It limits how many times we each see the ball again.

The problem being that if the Packers allow those yards in a game they're winning by three scores I don't feel confident about their ability to do it in a close game. Just take a look at the end of the playoff loss to the Niners last season for evidence of that strategy not working out.

Reaction score
The problem being that if the Packers allow those yards in a game they're winning by three scores I don't feel confident about their ability to do it in a close game. Just take a look at the end of the playoff loss to the Niners last season for evidence of that strategy not working out.
Yes and I understand that. When using clock properly it's imperative that you pick and choose those scenarios (down/distance) I'm not suggesting a blanket approach in every down and distance. As you well know, you have to take into account all factors, such as the flow of the game and the % of game-clock expired etc..

In this particular case, we were up by multiple scores, favorably moving the ball all day and moving into the 4th quarter with an unstoppable Running attack (200+ yards). Take a look at what TCU is doing to Oklahoma today, they are up 17 and gashing them in the run, yet TCU is still snapping the ball with 15 sec on the game-clock. This is because it's Quarter 1, not end of the 3rd Quarter so those are examples of totally different scenarios. Clock management is still an underrated part of the game and understanding the rule book in relation to clock usage is like sharpening a dull axe.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and I understand that. When using clock properly it's imperative that you pick and choose those scenarios (down/distance) I'm not suggesting a blanket approach in every down and distance. As you well know, you have to take into account all factors, such as the flow of the game and the % of game-clock expired etc..

In this particular case, we were up by multiple scores, favorably moving the ball all day and moving into the 4th quarter with an unstoppable Running attack (200+ yards). Take a look at what TCU is doing to Oklahoma today, they are up 17 and gashing them in the run, yet TCU is still snapping the ball with 15 sec on the game-clock. This is because it's Quarter 1, not end of the 3rd Quarter so those are examples of totally different scenarios. Clock management is still an underrated part of the game and understanding the rule book in relation to clock usage is like sharpening a dull axe.
That is what Lombardi did in the Hornung-Taylor days. The 4th quarter was murder on tired opposing defenses with that ground game.

D

Deleted member 6794

My point is that opponents can control the clock in close games if the Packers' defense isn't able to contain the run. Just like the Niners did at the end of the playoff game.

Reaction score
My point is that opponents can control the clock in close games if the Packers' defense isn't able to contain the run. Just like the Niners did at the end of the playoff game.
Ok. However You are picking and choosing 1 or 2 drives and dismissing what we did on the other 8 drives. It’s not a coincidence that the drives you are focusing on cane later in the contest. Would you like to clean up a few missed tackles or have a few plays back? Sure
Yet the end justifies the means. Wins don’t always come pretty with gaudy stats.

In particular if their Offense is having relative success up to that point you don’t allow a big pass play downfield. That csn open some underneath **** n dunk or run plays. The % chances of our opponent scoring on the last 3 drives or so and holding us to zero points on all of our chances at return serve? Its called playing the odds. Also when your teams O has early or ongoing success and our opponent is expecting to hold an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady to zero points over the last 20 minutes they are going to lose far more than win that bet.

Ask MLF and that NFC game against Brady. Never put the ball in that man’s hands hoping he can’t move the sticks. It’s a recipe for losing.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. However You are picking and choosing 1 or 2 drives and dismissing what we did on the other 8 drives. It’s not a coincidence that the drives you are focusing on cane later in the contest. Would you like to clean up a few missed tackles or have a few plays back? Sure
Yet the end justifies the means. Wins don’t always come pretty with gaudy stats.

In particular if their Offense is having relative success up to that point you don’t allow a big pass play downfield. That csn open some underneath **** n dunk or run plays. The % chances of our opponent scoring on the last 3 drives or so and holding us to zero points on all of our chances at return serve? Its called playing the odds. Also when your teams O has early or ongoing success and our opponent is expecting to hold an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady to zero points over the last 20 minutes they are going to lose far more than win that bet.

Ask MLF and that NFC game against Brady. Never put the ball in that man’s hands hoping he can’t move the sticks. It’s a recipe for losing.
So true. When a defense allows a mere 2 FGs in 60 minutes of football you should win the game. And we know why we did not.