EQ is at a crossroads...

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Few of us hinted at this, but EQ's time in Green Bay may be coming to an end or cemented this year at least.

Personally many know I believe EQ has promise but just not in GB. Sometimes a project takes years to contribute (Nijman best recent example) - other times we hold on too long thinking a guy would someday breakthrough...that is where EQ is I believe. Either way, something is about to change for him and his time in GB it appears.

He's not terrible.

He's not great.

He's okay as a fifth or sixth Wide Receiver and a Special Teams guy.

If he sticks, fine. Green Bay can use him in certain situations.

If he leaves, that's okay too. Maybe he'll find more opportunities on a less-stacked roster.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. We have one of the best WR in the league. Then we have a couple of guys that are not quite good enough to be a #2 but slightly better than a #3 (Cobb, MVS, Lazard). After that is just roster filler.

Many of you poo-poo'd my thread earlier this season about not getting Amari Rodgers more time in the passing game. Now that Cobb is out, we are in a place where Amari Rodgers really isn't ready to step in. He has only gotten few reps at the position (averaging 5 snaps/game - total 5 targets, 3 catches in 2021). It will be MVS, Lazard, and ESB carrying the load with Amari and Taylor licking up the slop.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agreed with everything you said, until this. I guess I don't view our WR room as stacked. I think guys like Malick Taylor and ESB would have a tough time making most teams.

Perhaps not the WR position, but when you look at the roster as a whole, it certainly is. The reason that's important is because of the salary cap....Teams without a lot of high-priced talent can afford to spend more on players like ESB. Green Bay has to compromise on the bottom end of the roster.

And yet, all-in-all, the WR room is just fine. Players like Taylor and St. Brown, however, can be replaced by rookies without too much difficulty.

Reaction score
I still think EQ has shown flashes of big play potential. That TD catch (nullified) at the back of the Endzone earlier this season illustrated his athleticism. After coming off an early injury, he’s done a nice job remaining patient for his chance. In the meantime he’s contributing nicely on ST.
I think EQ could take on a slightly bigger role over the stretch run. Lazard seems to have taken a step backwards, I’m not sure if he’s playing injured or what but he just looks complacent.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Agreed. We have one of the best WR in the league. Then we have a couple of guys that are not quite good enough to be a #2 but slightly better than a #3 (Cobb, MVS, Lazard). After that is just roster filler.

Many of you poo-poo'd my thread earlier this season about not getting Amari Rodgers more time in the passing game. Now that Cobb is out, we are in a place where Amari Rodgers really isn't ready to step in. He has only gotten few reps at the position (averaging 5 snaps/game - total 5 targets, 3 catches in 2021). It will be MVS, Lazard, and ESB carrying the load with Amari and Taylor licking up the slop.
I've been a bit disappointed in Lazard as of late. As far as Amari goes, his time will come, but I just don't think he is ready. Even when other WR's like Adams, Lazard or MVS have been injured, that didn't seem to mean more playing time for him. Maybe like you said, with Cobb out, he may see more time in the slot. At this point though, I prefer Cobb. Despite some ******' and moanin' about the Packers trading a 6h round for him, he has been a key player at times for the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Teams without a lot of high-priced talent can afford to spend more on players like ESB. Green Bay has to compromise on the bottom end of the roster.
I doubt cost will have anything to do with ESB being on another team or not. Right now would you offer him more than vet min next year? Again, I liked ESB and what I thought was potential, but he needs to keep showing what he has the last 2 games and that might open some eyes for 2022. Packers might try to keep him around, especially if Adams, Cobb and MVS are gone, but at this point I wouldn't pay a ton to do that.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Cobb really out, though? Depends on severity of groin... pull? strain? "tweak"? No reason Amari can't still be mixed-in with 5-10 snaps/game... but will AR trust him to be in the right places? No reason Amari can't be used on some of the jet-sweep in motion plays which MLF has been fake-using so they're basically just "noise" and not a real threat, anyway.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True - we won't know the severity until next week. They just tend to take a while to heal and we have a conservative medical staff, so I am making an assumption.

I think that one of Amari's plays this year actually was on the jet-sweep. It was a rare time when MLF did keep teams honest. I do believe that he is keeping that in his pocket for important downs in the playoffs. I hope at least.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt cost will have anything to do with ESB being on another team or not. Right now would you offer him more than vet min next year? Again, I liked ESB and what I thought was potential, but he needs to keep showing what he has the last 2 games and that might open some eyes for 2022. Packers might try to keep him around, especially if Adams, Cobb and MVS are gone, but at this point I wouldn't pay a ton to do that.

A rookie is cheaper than the vet minimum, so I imagine EQ will probably be gone once his rookie contract expires. Just a hunch.

Some team with a little extra cash will take a shot on him. Maybe the Lions.

Reaction score
I've been a bit disappointed in Lazard as of late. As far as Amari goes, his time will come, but I just don't think he is ready. Even when other WR's like Adams, Lazard or MVS have been injured, that didn't seem to mean more playing time for him. Maybe like you said, with Cobb out, he may see more time in the slot. At this point though, I prefer Cobb. Despite some ******' and moanin' about the Packers trading a 6h round for him, he has been a key player at times for the Packers.
Just a guess, but I think they’ll rest Cobb a few weeks, but he’ll be back somewhere between the Ravens contest (12/19) to Vikings (1/02/22) at Lambeau. I think EQ could see some work as our #4 in the meantime.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A rookie is cheaper than the vet minimum, so I imagine EQ will probably be gone once his rookie contract expires. Just a hunch.

Some team with a little extra cash will take a shot on him. Maybe the Lions.
EQ isn't on a rookie contract this year, due to the Packers waiving him. He ended up signing a 1 year deal for $613.885K.

Maybe since Rodgers has sung his praises, whatever team trades for Rodgers might try to sign him?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think EQ is looking much more comfortable and I won't sit on the edge of my seat quite as far when throwing to him on 3rd down; still, he is catching 2 passes a game. Don't think that and playing good punt coverage is going to put him in the high tax bracket.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EQ isn't on a rookie contract this year, due to the Packers waiving him. He ended up signing a 1 year deal for $613.885K.

Maybe since Rodgers has sung his praises, whatever team trades for Rodgers might try to sign him?

I stand corrected.

Aaron Rodgers once sung the praises of jake Kumerow as well.

I doubt that either EQ or Kumerow will factor into where Aaron Rodgers plays next year....Which, I increasingly am led to believe, will be Green Bay.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers once sung the praises of jake Kumerow as well.
Yes and Rodgers still brought him up as a player that Gute shouldn't have let walk. Given that he has 1 catch for 22 yds in his 2 seasons since leaving, I think AR is wrong on this one. However, what Jake is further proof of is that AR can make a below average WR look average.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and Rodgers still brought him up as a player that Gute shouldn't have let walk. Given that he has 1 catch for 22 yds in his 2 seasons since leaving, I think AR is wrong on this one. However, what Jake is further proof of is that AR can make a below average WR look average.
But Randall Cobb has been xlnt. I think he is better now than when he was with us before.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Randall Cobb has been xlnt. I think he is better now than when he was with us before.
no certainly not better. However…. his biggest problem has always been staying healthy… and surprise, surprise… he played a significant part in the first half of the Ram‘s game and then…. groin injury.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Randall Cobb has been a better value for the Packers than he was in his last season or 2 in Green Bay. Up until Sunday, he had been relatively healthy and it seems that pretty much every WR now has missed time with an injury, so I guess it was his turn.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Randall Cobb has been a better value for the Packers than he was in his last season or 2 in Green Bay. Up until Sunday, he had been relatively healthy and it seems that pretty much every WR now has missed time with an injury, so I guess it was his turn.
Maybe… lol Ill reserve judgment until the season is over. I like Cobb and think he is a great locker room guy, but unfortunately, I was not surprised when it was announced that he was injured and out of the game after extensive play in the first half. I’ll wait and see how much time he misses.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agreed with everything you said, until this. I guess I don't view our WR room as stacked. I think guys like Malick Taylor and ESB would have a tough time making most teams.
Not that it is a bad thing, but obviously you don't spend much time looking at other teams WRs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perhaps not the WR position, but when you look at the roster as a whole, it certainly is. The reason that's important is because of the salary cap....Teams without a lot of high-priced talent can afford to spend more on players like ESB. Green Bay has to compromise on the bottom end of the roster.

I don't think there's another team out there waiting for the chance to sign EQ to a deal paying him more than the Packers might be able to offer.

Members online

Latest posts