EQ is at a crossroads...

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, there was a three-play stretch in last night's NO-DAL game (maybe a couple plays in between?) where Cooper, then Lamb, then Gallup caught huge passes, ending with the most beautiful TD catch by Gallup...I nearly wept thinking what Rodgers could do with a trio like that. Just a different league of skill at #2 and #3.
Gallup was amazing, and to think Lamb is their #1, Cooper #2 and Gallup is 3rd-fiddle is frightening.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams isnt going anywhere
I wish that were true… that being said I do not want the Packers to pay ANY WR north of 25 million dollars/year. Adams is predicted to get that so… I find it highly unlikely he will be here next here.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish that were true… that being said I do not want the Packers to pay ANY WR north of 25 million dollars/year. Adams is predicted to get that so… I find it highly unlikely he will be here next here.
Franchise tag amount is projected to be $19.127 for 2022, but only way (IMHO) GB would slap him with it is if they planned on extending him at approx. 4yr/$100Mil range-ish (+/-$10Mil) with a void year attached to spread the bonus $ into 5 yrs. I'm guessing he won't be back. :(

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franchise tag amount is projected to be $19.127 for 2022, but only way (IMHO) GB would slap him with it is if they planned on extending him at approx. 4yr/$100Mil range-ish (+/-$10Mil) with a void year attached to spread the bonus $ into 5 yrs. I'm guessing he won't be back. :(
Essentially we are in agreement… i’m just pointing out… I see absolutely no way they could franchise tag him with their current cap situation. That would require them to put the entire amount in the 2022 league year… and be unable to spread any of it out into the future.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tag him, and trade him Use the draft choices to improve at an entry level. That's assuming you can tag someone and trade them.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tag him, and trade him Use the draft choices to improve at an entry level. That's assuming you can tag someone and trade them.

You dont get rid of blue chip players while they are still blue chip players....not if you wanna be successful at least. The trams who let blue chip players out of the building are the perennial loaers and theres a definite correlation between winning and elite players

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You dont get rid of blue chip players while they are still blue chip players....not if you wanna be successful at least. The trams who let blue chip players out of the building are the perennial loaers and theres a definite correlation between winning and elite players
Define blue chin please. I promise you that the Packers will be letting a number of guys go next year to get under the cap. We can all speculate as to which ones, but it’s pretty clear that some of them are going to be important players on this year’s roster. Furthermore, I suspect Adams isn’t going to want to stay if Rodgers leaves… so a lot hinges on what they do with him.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Define blue chin please. I promise you that the Packers will be letting a number of guys go next year to get under the cap. We can all speculate as to which ones, but it’s pretty clear that some of them are going to be important players on this year’s roster. Furthermore, I suspect Adams isn’t going to want to stay if Rodgers leaves… so a lot hinges on what they do with him.
blue chin - taking a digger on Albertsons stadium. Two teams I could see 12/17 tandem next year: Pittsburgh or New Orleans.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I guess if I have to quantitatively define blue chip player...id say any player who is top 5 in the NFL at their position

So you got Rodgers, Adams, Alexander, Clark, Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Z. Smith (injury?) and then id say Aarron Jones is borderline depending on your opinion of him and the other guys. Dont think I forgot anybody...Savage is gonna be one, like Nick Collins, by his 4th season

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
blue chin - taking a digger on Albertsons stadium. Two teams I could see 12/17 tandem next year: Pittsburgh or New Orleans.

So you dont believe Mark Murphy with his "were not idoits" statement or whatever it was. If that happens the Packers will be a laughing stock

And since the Packers have done a pretty good job of not letting blue chip players out of the building i dont think thatll happen at all

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you dont believe Mark Murphy with his "were not idoits" statement or whatever it was. If that happens the Packers will be a laughing stock

And since the Packers have done a pretty good job of not letting blue chip players out of the building i dont think thatll happen at all
No argument there for sure. The cost could be steep letting others walk though. Murphy - pfff...lol needs to stick to developing Lambeau into six flags, and not player personnel.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question on Adams has nothing to do with whether or not you want to keep him, but whether or not you can afford the cap hell it's going to create with an extended contract that will stop the Packers from doing much at all in free agency for the next few years. He's going to command the highest contract figure for a WR in the NFL, and the Packers simply won't be able to afford it and retool at the same time.

Cap and trade gives the Packers the best advantage over their rebuilding. It allows them to retool in two, or even possibly three areas with the money that will be saved, and come away with long term talent that will help them move forward.

Rest assured, if they do a cap and trade, the team getting him will have already worked out a "deal in principle" that they would automatically offer, and sign him long term.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question on Adams has nothing to do with whether or not you want to keep him, but whether or not you can afford the cap hell it's going to create with an extended contract that will stop the Packers from doing much at all in free agency for the next few years. He's going to command the highest contract figure for a WR in the NFL, and the Packers simply won't be able to afford it and retool at the same time.

Cap and trade gives the Packers the best advantage over their rebuilding. It allows them to retool in two, or even possibly three areas with the money that will be saved, and come away with long term talent that will help them move forward.

Rest assured, if they do a cap and trade, the team getting him will have already worked out a "deal in principle" that they would automatically offer, and sign him long term.

Dude youre totally misunderstanding...the packers are only in cap hell for 2022. Signing Rodgers and Adams to big long term deals will alleviate that 2022 cap problem.

In 2023 the cap is gonna go up significantly from the 208.2 million it will be in 2022 likely approaching dare I say 250 million. Because of the hige nedia deals the NFL recently signed with amazon and the tv networks.

By back loading the contracts the Packers will he able to field a solid sb contender in 2022 and beyond likely at least til Rodgers calls it quits

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude youre totally misunderstanding...the packers are only in cap hell for 2022. Signing Rodgers and Adams to big long term deals will alleviate that 2022 cap problem.

In 2023 the cap is gonna go up significantly from the 208.2 million it will be in 2022 likely approaching dare I say 250 million. Because of the hige nedia deals the NFL recently signed with amazon and the tv networks.

By back loading the contracts the Packers will he able to field a solid sb contender in 2022 and beyond likely at least til Rodgers calls it quits
First of all, Rodgers is not going to be there in 2022. Secondly, it's more than just the Adams contract that will be coming up. There are others who will be leaving via free agency because they just can't afford to pay the cost forward and take hard hits on future seasons.

But, that's just my opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still haven't seen anything to make me believe it is completely Rodgers call if he's here next year or not. If he wants to continue to play, I think it's in GB and they'll make it work. If he doesn't, he'll retire. I don't think GB is going to be able to trade him anywhere as I really don't think he wants to or will. And that is still as much thought as I want to put into it until this season is over :)

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still haven't seen anything to make me believe it is completely Rodgers call if he's here next year or not. If he wants to continue to play, I think it's in GB and they'll make it work. If he doesn't, he'll retire. I don't think GB is going to be able to trade him anywhere as I really don't think he wants to or will. And that is still as much thought as I want to put into it until this season is over :)
You might be right, but quite honestly, I don't see him suiting up in Green Bay after their last game played this year. I don't see how they can afford it. Then there's the question of what they'd do with Love.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't believe I said significantly.

I said more.

It doesn't matter, I don't think any team will offer EQ more than the minimum.

The Packers would have a window of only eight days to work out an extension with Adams if they franchise tag him as they need to be under the cap on March 20 and that would be close to impossible with Adams on the tag.

Essentially we are in agreement… i’m just pointing out… I see absolutely no way they could franchise tag him with their current cap situation. That would require them to put the entire amount in the 2022 league year… and be unable to spread any of it out into the future.

The Packers could still negotiate a long-term deal with Adams after franchise tagging him to lower his cap hit in 2022. But see above why that's a huge issue.

The Packers could trade Adams after franchise tagging him. But once again they would have only eight days to make it work.

Unfortunately the Packers are in a difficult situation regarding the salary cap entering next offseason, most likely resulting in them having to move on from blue chip players.

The Packers extending Rodgers would create cap space for next season. With Adams being an unrestricted free agent the team signing him would result in an additiona cap hit for 2022 though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Packers are in a difficult situation regarding the salary cap entering next offseason, most likely resulting in them having to move on from blue chip players.

The Packers extending Rodgers would create cap space for next season. With Adams being an unrestricted free agent the team signing him would result in an additiona cap hit for 2022 though.

Unfortunately the blue chip guy i think its most likely they move on from is zadarius smith

And if they were to extend Adams before the end of the season couldnt they gain some releif in 2022?

Either way they keeping Rodgers and you better believe that hes gonna say im only staying if you keep Adams

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is a FA after this year. Only way I think they could extend him and save money would be in theoretical terms only.

Like I want 10m and they extend him now and put 5m on this years cap and 5 on next. But it’s not saving anything especially since we can bring cap forward to next year.

But anything they sign him to will add to next years cap as he’s counting nothing for it now for next year.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is a FA after this year. Only way I think they could extend him and save money would be in theoretical terms only.

Like I want 10m and they extend him now and put 5m on this years cap and 5 on next. But it’s not saving anything especially since we can bring cap forward to next year.

But anything they sign him to will add to next years cap as he’s counting nothing for it now for next year.

Yeah youre right I see what you're saying...

I guess then I mean you sign him to a back loaded deal give him a vet minimum base or whatever you gotta do...theres ways to figure this stuff out 100% and i dont think it would be smart for the Packers to fail to do so

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if they were to extend Adams before the end of the season couldnt they gain some releif in 2022?

No. The Packers currently do not owe Adams any money for 2022 because this year is the end of his contract. Therefore if they were to sign him to ANY contract it would result in an additional cap hit for next year. It of course could end up being very back loaded resulting in a very minimal hit in 2022, but there would certainly be no relief to their current 2022 obligations because Adams is not part of that.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok Rodgers currently has a base salary of 26,470,588 in 2022 the veteran minimum is 1.075 million lets call it 26.5 m and 1 m. The packers can extend Rodgers four seasons while turning roughly 25.5 m of his 2022 base salary to signing bonus as part of the extension so theyd save about 20 m on the 2022 cap. Theyd have to get Rodgers to take the rest of his guaranteed money in something other than signing bonus

But saving that 20 m would put the Packers in decent shape salary cap wise for 2022. They are currently at 250.5 million and the cap is capped at 208.2. 42.3 over so 22.3 if they save 20 m on Rodgers extension.

They can release preston smith and save 12.5 m which brings them to 9.8 m over the cap. They can then extend zadarius smith and save 10.4 m on the 2022 cap and theyd be 600k under. Now sign Jaire Alexander to an extension to lower his cap hit from 13,294,000. And you have enough to fit a back loaded Adams contract as well. Might need to restructure a guy like kenny Clark or extend Amos and there you go you're good for 2022 and you hope the cap goes way up in 2023 which i think is very likely