EPL and British Football

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand that. I saw the Bears play a few years ago....lol, that was fun. I got into a conversation with a decent American Bears fan over his shirt. He asked me if I would be rooting for the Bears, which I said was unlikely, but as he was such a nice guy I`d try. As the first Bears came out of the tunnel I was on my feet booing. The guy tapped my arm, and with a big grin on his face he said "Yeah man,you really tried hard there !". I bought him a beer as compensation....lol

Cheering the bears nah this is not possible. :D

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Oh I think both games will be televised. I would have supported the Jags out of respect to my friend, but I think they`ll get creamed by the 49ers to be honest. The thought of seeing the Vikings get mauled by the Steelers would be worth the money alone....lol

Id find it hard to watch a 49ers game, they are my marmite team but not in the i like sense. ;) However to see them get thumped by the Pack im in! :tup:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder who is giving up a home game for playing in London ?
Without looking it up I guess it will be the Jags and the Vikings, no way that the 49ers and the Steelers would accept to give up a home game just to play a NFL game in London.:confused:
From time to time I read the "Ask Vic" column at Packers.com
There he recently wrote that the NFL will relocate two teams, one in LA and one in London - or more likely both teams in the LA area.
Do you guys think there would be market for a NFL in London ?
I do have my doubts because as much as I personally love the game its still strange for many European people, they dont understand the game. And not forgetting to mention the commercial breaks, in a football dominated culture where there is only a 15 minute halftime break difficult to accept.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I wonder who is giving up a home game for playing in London ?
Without looking it up I guess it will be the Jags and the Vikings, no way that the 49ers and the Steelers would accept to give up a home game just to play a NFL game in London.:confused:
From time to time I read the "Ask Vic" column at Packers.com
There he recently wrote that the NFL will relocate two teams, one in LA and one in London - or more likely both teams in the LA area.
Do you guys think there would be market for a NFL in London ?
I do have my doubts because as much as I personally love the game its still strange for many European people, they dont understand the game. And not forgetting to mention the commercial breaks, in a football dominated culture where there is only a 15 minute halftime break difficult to accept.

I also have my doubts, you could throw as much money as you liked at it but for me a London franchise is a non starter. It would be an American team playing abroad, people would see through it very quickly. After it failed it would do what other overseas business ventures have done, upsticks and move to a vacant city back home. Its a North American sport with a tiny but passionate fan base in Europe, its also from a different sporting culture. I don't doubt they might try a London team, but thats my opinion of it anyway.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I also have my doubts, you could throw as much money as you liked at it but for me a London franchise is a non starter. It would be an American team playing abroad, people would see through it very quickly. After it failed it would do what other overseas business ventures have done, upsticks and move to a vacant city back home. Its a North American sport with a tiny but passionate fan base in Europe, its also from a different sporting culture. I don't doubt they might try a London team, but thats my opinion of it anyway.

I`m with you guys on this one, although to be honest the turn out for the London games has always surprised the Americans, and the peoples knowledge of the game in general.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sad to see the death of Bert Troutmann today. Goalkeeping legend. R.I.P.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad to see the death of Bert Troutmann today. Goalkeeping legend. R.I.P.

He was a legend and a living example for the postwar reconciliation between UK and Germany !
Impressive career and life.

Our German football magazine "kicker" just published a remarkable quote by him:
"Meine Erziehung begann, als ich nach England kam. Ich habe Menschlichkeit, Toleranz und Vergebung gelernt"

In English: ".....my education began when I got to England. I learnt about humanity, tolerance and forgiveness."
RIP, Bert Trautmann !

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
He was a legend and a living example for the postwar reconciliation between UK and Germany !
Impressive career and life.

Our German football magazine "kicker" just published a remarkable quote by him:
"Meine Erziehung begann, als ich nach England kam. Ich habe Menschlichkeit, Toleranz und Vergebung gelernt"

In English: ".....my education began when I got to England. I learnt about humanity, tolerance and forgiveness."
RIP, Bert Trautmann !

I think for him playing a game of Football with a broken neck although he didnt know it for three days after was nothing compared to being on the Eastern Front. He basically described himself as a poorly educated ****** Youth, before he was taken prisoner.
Fellow Germans called him English i dont think he minded. A true gent, Rest in Peace.

Three part doc very interesting, featuring Bert Trautmann. ;)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Didn't know of this story until recently, thought id share. Erich Schaedler son of a fellow POW of Trutmann's who played his only Scotland game ironically against West Germany.
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/profile-erich-schaedler-hibernian-hero-1-1370998

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think for him playing a game of Football with a broken neck although he didnt know it for three days after was nothing compared to being on the Eastern Front. He basically described himself as a poorly educated ****** Youth, before he was taken prisoner.
Fellow Germans called him English i dont think he minded. A true gent, Rest in Peace.

Three part doc very interesting, featuring Bert Trautmann. ;)

Didn't know of this story until recently, thought id share. Erich Schaedler son of a fellow POW of Trutmann's who played his only Scotland game ironically against West Germany.
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/profile-erich-schaedler-hibernian-hero-1-1370998

Aaah, just saw it today - thanks for sharing ! :tup:
Interesting life story with a tragic end.
Erich Peter sounds very German ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Aaah, just saw it today - thanks for sharing ! :tup:
Interesting life story with a tragic end.
Erich Peter sounds very German ;)

Yeah sad end, we should remember peoples lives in a positive way a bit more i think. I never knew of him really. He had a pub near Easter Road called ''Shades'' I think its still there maybe next time you can go in for a jar. ;) He was the first to put Bryan Robsons shoulder out, i like him even more. :D Erich Peter Schaedler you could hardly get more German than that. A good club servant and quite a Cult favourite playing for Hibs.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah sad end, we should remember peoples lives in a positive way a bit more i think. I never knew of him really. He had a pub near Easter Road called ''Shades'' I think its still there maybe next time you can go in for a jar. ;) He was the first to put Bryan Robsons shoulder out, i like him even more. :D Erich Peter Schaedler you could hardly get more German than that. A good club servant and quite a Cult favourite playing for Hibs.

I will try to find this pub next time when I will go there to visit a Hibs game ;) :tup:
Do you Brits know that your Pub culture is still unmatched ? :)

Any news from the EPL? Any interesting transfers?
Barely found time to check the internet this weekend because of the awesome weather we had. 30 degrees C and more, lots of sun, I even missed Hamburg playing Bayern (0-4:mad: ) and Dortmund (0-1:rolleyes: ) because I didnt find time to watch football.
Preferred to do some gardening work and having Barbecue instead.

Michael Mancienne is likely on his way back to the EPL. Hamburg doesnt want him anymore and they say he is negotiating with EPL teams.
Its a pity that they let him go, I like him and there are other players I would sort out first.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I will try to find this pub next time when I will go there to visit a Hibs game ;) :tup:
Do you Brits know that your Pub culture is still unmatched ? :)

Any news from the EPL? Any interesting transfers?
Barely found time to check the internet this weekend because of the awesome weather we had. 30 degrees C and more, lots of sun, I even missed Hamburg playing Bayern (0-4:mad: ) and Dortmund (0-1:rolleyes: ) because I didnt find time to watch football.
Preferred to do some gardening work and having Barbecue instead.

Michael Mancienne is likely on his way back to the EPL. Hamburg doesnt want him anymore and they say he is negotiating with EPL teams.
Its a pity that they let him go, I like him and there are other players I would sort out first.

I dont usually do the Pub thing as much anymore too expensive really but its ok once in a while.

Just the usual Rooney speculation, my thinking is if they sell it will be a deadline day deal after ManU gets a suitable replacement after the 1st ManU v Chelsea game. No way will they sell before.
Also heard of a crazy Sir Alex to Barcelona rumor, there is no way this is going to happen but would be funny if it did. They would not have a clue what he was saying to them. :roflmao: Hiddink suddenly leaving his job is more of a clue.

Quite right forget about Football in weather like this! :tup:

Shame for Mancienne i thought he would do so much better.

Mostly a young team played a Malaysia eleven. Ended 1-4.
More work for the Doc, De Bruyne played well scored but he didn't last long. Got injured not too badly, Flown home for a scan. :rolleyes:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont usually do the Pub thing as much anymore too expensive really but its ok once in a while.

Just the usual Rooney speculation, my thinking is if they sell it will be a deadline day deal after ManU gets a suitable replacement after the 1st ManU v Chelsea game. No way will they sell before.
Also heard of a crazy Sir Alex to Barcelona rumor, there is no way this is going to happen but would be funny if it did. They would not have a clue what he was saying to them. :roflmao: Hiddink suddenly leaving his job is more of a clue.

Quite right forget about Football in weather like this! :tup:

Shame for Mancienne i thought he would do so much better.

Mostly a young team played a Malaysia eleven. Ended 1-4.
More work for the Doc, De Bruyne played well scored but he didn't last long. Got injured not too badly, Flown home for a scan. :rolleyes:

Yeah, quite expensive nowadays. But I cant resist when Im travelling to UK.... :)

Sir Alex in Barcelona ? :eek::D
I guess he would feel like a alien coming down to earth, unthinkable.
They already found their new manager, "Tata" Martino. Have you ever heard of him before ? :rolleyes:
Sad to hear that Tito Vilanova had to quit his job, but I guess he needs all his time and power to fight cancer.

Michael Mancienne was solid, I would have kept him but they sort out most of the players Arnesen
brought in. He will be replaced by a 22yo German player, Lasse Sobiech.

Aaah, Dr. Eva right in the middle of the action ! :tup:
Hope De Bruyne will be back soon, how is Andre Schurrle doing ?
Any opinions by Chelsea fans so far, your thoughts on him ?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yeah, quite expensive nowadays. But I cant resist when Im travelling to UK.... :)

Sir Alex in Barcelona ? :eek::D
I guess he would feel like a alien coming down to earth, unthinkable.
They already found their new manager, "Tata" Martino. Have you ever heard of him before ? :rolleyes:
Sad to hear that Tito Vilanova had to quit his job, but I guess he needs all his time and power to fight cancer.

Michael Mancienne was solid, I would have kept him but they sort out most of the players Arnesen
brought in. He will be replaced by a 22yo German player, Lasse Sobiech.

Aaah, Dr. Eva right in the middle of the action ! :tup:
Hope De Bruyne will be back soon, how is Andre Schurrle doing ?
Any opinions by Chelsea fans so far, your thoughts on him ?

Just a silly internet rumor saw through it in a second.
*I dont know him from Adam, :eek: wow what kind of odds would you have got for them choosing him?! i thought Hiddink would get it. Not that i care so much its only Barca. :D But i hope Vilanova gets better.

I thought Mancienne would one day play for his country, still time but i doubt it now.

Always nice to see EC but prefer it was more on the side lines but thats her job!

Schurrle is doing very well, speaks pretty good English fitting in well and enjoying his game so far. :tup:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...urrle-wants-claim-Germany-World-Cup-spot.html

* Never heard of him

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a silly internet rumor saw through it in a second.
*I dont know him from Adam, :eek: wow what kind of odds would you have got for them choosing him?! i thought Hiddink would get it. Not that i care so much its only Barca. :D But i hope Vilanova gets better.

I thought Mancienne would one day play for his country, still time but i doubt it now.

Always nice to see EC but prefer it was more on the side lines but thats her job!

Schurrle is doing very well, speaks pretty good English fitting in well and enjoying his game so far. :tup:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...urrle-wants-claim-Germany-World-Cup-spot.html

* Never heard of him

Aaaah, another idiom, thanks for your explanation PackerFan71.:)
Im surprised that Barca signs a manager who is completely unknown in Europe.:confused:

Mancienne is average but solid but I think England should have better players for their National team.
If not no wonder that they wont win anything in the near future.

Sounds promising and as said before - I expect him to win a place in the starting lineup soon. I hope for more informations by you as soon as the season has started..... ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Aaaah, another idiom, thanks for your explanation PackerFan71.:)
Im surprised that Barca signs a manager who is completely unknown in Europe.:confused:

Mancienne is average but solid but I think England should have better players for their National team.
If not no wonder that they wont win anything in the near future.

Sounds promising and as said before - I expect him to win a place in the starting lineup soon. I hope for more informations by you as soon as the season has started..... ;)

Messi says hes good, that will do Barca then. :rolleyes: if it all goes wrong ask Cruyff.

Agreed basically for the most part they are not technical enough and lack discipline. The last really good squad they had was 1990s Waddle, Beardsley, Gazza, etc, soo long ago now. Cant see anything changing soon, complaining? me? not. :)

I think the left wing is where Mourinho will play Schurrle. I get daily updates will keep you in the loop. :tup:

Just found this, thats Gigi Salmon who works for Chelsea TV, tearing this journo a new one good girl! :D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Messi says hes good, that will do Barca then. :rolleyes: if it all goes wrong ask Cruyff.

Agreed basically for the most part they are not technical enough and lack discipline. The last really good squad they had was 1990s Waddle, Beardsley, Gazza, etc, soo long ago now. Cant see anything changing soon, complaining? me? not. :)

I think the left wing is where Mourinho will play Schurrle. I get daily updates will keep you in the loop. :tup:

Just found this, thats Gigi Salmon who works for Chelsea TV, tearing this journo a new one good girl! :D

Didnt expect you complaining about the decline of English football :D

Hey, she's great, funny ! Who is silly now ? ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Celtic placed a bid for Artjom Rudnevs, fortunately refused by Hamburg and Rudnevs said he doesnt want to play in Scotland. We cant afford to lose another striker after having lost Heung Min Son to Leverkusen.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Khelifa--bid-Artjoms-Rudnevs-breaks-down.html

Playing in Scotland im afraid to say would be a step down for him, hes better off staying where he is no matter how much money they offer him. Jelavic would be a good choice, hope you manage to get him. :tup:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playing in Scotland im afraid to say would be a step down for him, hes better off staying where he is no matter how much money they offer him. Jelavic would be a good choice, hope you manage to get him. :tup:
Jelavic would be a huge improvement for our offensive but Im afraid we cant afford him.
They are in talks, signing him on loan would be the best solution.
Btw - like the Celtic shirt shown in this article, classic design. I guess its the "old" 12/13 shirt ?
Unfortunately I could never buy it because of their friendship with St.P****. :rolleyes:;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Jelavic would be a huge improvement for our offensive but Im afraid we cant afford him.
They are in talks, signing him on loan would be the best solution.
Btw - like the Celtic shirt shown in this article, classic design. I guess its the "old" 12/13 shirt ?
Unfortunately I could never buy it because of their friendship with St.P****. :rolleyes:;)

With good players giving him service Jelavic would be lethal, he was way too good playing in Scotland so much better than the other strikers. Don't know whats happened to him at Everton loss of form for some reason.
Its a cool shirt much better than the new one, which now has tiny little white lines on the green hoops. :confused: Well there you go, you cant help the company others sometimes keep. :rolleyes:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

Latest posts