EPL and British Football

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that England is opting out of the EU, I understand it will affect their ability to go after youth players on the continent because of working paper rules. What I want to know is, does this mean English salaries will now be more attractive to the more high profile players?
It's not only England that opted out of the EU, it's the country formerly known as "United" Kingdom. A very sad day imho. Regarding your question - I think we don't know yet. And why should it be more attractive ? In case they have generally lower taxes than in other European countries this might be the case. But tax laws are not in the hand of the EU anyway so as much as I know it won't change anything. The working paper rules will be more interesting - "in is in and out is out" ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's not only England that opted out of the EU, it's the country formerly known as "United" Kingdom. A very sad day imho. Regarding your question - I think we don't know yet. And why should it be more attractive ? In case they have generally lower taxes than in other European countries this might be the case. But tax laws are not in the hand of the EU anyway so as much as I know it won't change anything. The working paper rules will be more interesting - "in is in and out is out" ;)

I was thinking mostly of exchange rates. Will the Brexit give the pound more punch? If it does, will continental players see that as added incentive to go to UK teams?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Aaah, I was just about to write that the Pound is on a historical low level since 1985 and therefore there might be wishes to be paid in Euros or USD instead.

As the U.S. begins more and more to pay footy players on the scale of other major U.S. sports, I think we are going to see a lot more players come over here. After all, the U.S. is a pretty good place to live and the dollar is desirable over most of the world. This, I hope, in time will raise the level of play in the U.S. system to be equally competitive with Europe.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the U.S. begins more and more to pay footy players on the scale of other major U.S. sports, I think we are going to see a lot more players come over here. After all, the U.S. is a pretty good place to live and the dollar is desirable over most of the world. This, I hope, in time will raise the level of play in the U.S. system to be equally competitive with Europe.
Hmmm, might be. Or China and Russia, there is a lot of money too.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Uncapped or low capped players from the EU no matter how good will not qualify to play in the UK because of restrictions, I think that will be just the tip of the Ice Berg there will be alot of change in the EPL.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Uncapped or low capped players from the EU no matter how good will not qualify to play in the UK because of restrictions, I think that will be just the tip of the Ice Berg there will be alot of change in the EPL.

Nah I don't think so. They have at a minimum two years to figure out a deal to keep things mostly status quo....I'm fairly certain they will.

It hasn't stopped players in countries that have nothing to do with the EU from playing there.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Nah I don't think so. They have at a minimum two years to figure out a deal to keep things mostly status quo....I'm fairly certain they will.

It hasn't stopped players in countries that have nothing to do with the EU from playing there.
Ha thats what i thought until this morning.......now anything is possible.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I appreciate your concern Nessie, but Holland could follow Great Britain in coming out soon.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate your concern Nessie, but Holland could follow Great Britain in coming out soon.
I know Bill, and don't forget France and the Front National. And we have the AFD, a party that is compareable with UKIP. They're getting stronger, disgusting. I know that the EU has made mistakes but I still believe in the idea of a united, solidary Europe so please dont take it personally when I expressed my feelings. It has been a democratic vote and I have to accept this. Btw, we just started to plan our trip to Cotswolds, Devon and Cornwall in October and I dont feel welcome any more and I wonder if we better travel to Scotland or N-Ireland/Ireland again. But this reaction might be exaggerated. ;)
Sorry for being OT.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I know you were just in the states Nessie, but October in this neck of the woods can be breathtaking at times.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Just to add a little comedy so it's not sooooo serious around here.

Other countries are having problems too. We can talk about the Kingdom of Canucklestan going on strike and not delivering mail to its constituents. ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I know Bill, and don't forget France and the Front National. And we have the AFD, a party that is compareable with UKIP. They're getting stronger, disgusting. I know that the EU has made mistakes but I still believe in the idea of a united, solidary Europe so please dont take it personally when I expressed my feelings. It has been a democratic vote and I have to accept this. Btw, we just started to plan our trip to Cotswolds, Devon and Cornwall in October and I dont feel welcome any more and I wonder if we better travel to Scotland or N-Ireland/Ireland again. But this reaction might be exaggerated. ;)
Sorry for being OT.

I never took it personally Mate, you`re to nice of a bloke. The idea of a united fair Europe is great, but we both know that isn`t happening at the moment. Lets hope that when the dust settles they can negotiate a deal to please everybody.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Just to add a little comedy so it's not sooooo serious around here.

Other countries are having problems too. We can talk about the Kingdom of Canucklestan going on strike and not delivering mail to its constituents. ;)

Ha! Hadn't seen that one yet. Seen a bunch of other good ones circulating the interwebs

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
As expected, Croak. They're going to have a better team next season.

I'm not buying it yet. Ibra is getting older. Ibra might have taken a shot at the MLS... but then again, it would have been LA Galaxy to pick him up. And since I hate LA... screw em.

Members online

Latest posts