Enlighten me

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
I was wishing that MM would be alot like Cower since they are both from Pittsbugh...Cower is a great coach that takes NO crap...I want to see MM spit alittle..lol

Hey Hedder......look how long it took Cowher to win a Super Bowl! Sometimes taking no crap leaves no room for a player/coach relationship to grow. Of course i never played in the NFL, but i think guys will play their hearts out for someone they not only fear, but like as well.
None of us knows what MM is like behind closed doors. He might get on the guys alot more then we see.

I don't think they have to "fear" him as much as know he will keep his word when he says he'll do something.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think in alot of cases the preseason is a "Every man for himself!" routine as the guys scramble for roster spots. Once they MAKE the team, they can take more of a TEAM concept. The preseason is just that, a glorified contest to win a spot. Hopefully we will see a great showing next weekend by "our" Packers!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
recte44 said:
I'm not sitting here proclaiming him to be "best coach ever", either. What I'm saying is I like the tone he's set, and I like the way he speaks. Leadership is the key element to being a successful head coach- not schemes. McCarthy has shown me leadership this season which is something we've lacked with Mike Sherman at the helm in the past years. Swap out Sherman for McCarthy two seasons ago and I think the results would have been difference.

There has been some flak from players about his rigorous training schedule this training camp, but I'd be willing to wager the players have a lot more respect for his directness and enthusiasm over Sherman's style of leadership.

This is why I'm enthuastic about his chances as succeeding. Obviously, time will tell, but the early returns are quite encouraging.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't see how you think players publicly whining about practice is a good reflection on the coach, but Henderson and others have certainly described him as a players coach and far less organized and intense as Sherman.

I hope you right, but at best his promotion to head coach was a gamble.

I agree with pyle on the lack of inspiration that showed up in the squad in 3 of 4 exhibition games, but I like to be optimistic -- so bring on da bears!

If they come out flat against the Bears THEN I would talk about his teams looking "uninspired" because we all know for a fact that many many many NFL starters in this league are "uninspired" by the preseason and the proof is in the pudding for all of those crying for a shorter preseason(and it's going to happen soon). I agree his promotion was a gamble. Jim Bates would have been a gamble, too. Sherman has a problem of "overpreparing" and MM likes to kee things simple. I agree with that method. As far as Sherman being intense? Well that didn't often get too good of results.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I think in alot of cases the preseason is a "Every man for himself!" routine as the guys scramble for roster spots. Once they MAKE the team, they can take more of a TEAM concept. The preseason is just that, a glorified contest to win a spot. Hopefully we will see a great showing next weekend by "our" Packers!

Great post. I agree. Very good insight, IMO.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
pyledriver80 said:
recte44 said:
I'm not sitting here proclaiming him to be "best coach ever", either. What I'm saying is I like the tone he's set, and I like the way he speaks. Leadership is the key element to being a successful head coach- not schemes. McCarthy has shown me leadership this season which is something we've lacked with Mike Sherman at the helm in the past years. Swap out Sherman for McCarthy two seasons ago and I think the results would have been difference.

There has been some flak from players about his rigorous training schedule this training camp, but I'd be willing to wager the players have a lot more respect for his directness and enthusiasm over Sherman's style of leadership.

This is why I'm enthuastic about his chances as succeeding. Obviously, time will tell, but the early returns are quite encouraging.

I disagree, the team has looked flat and uninspired 2,maybe 3, games out of 4. He doesn't seem to be the guy I expected him to be. He reminds me a wimpering *****cat. Someone please call Jim Bates

I can understand your disagreement and the content of your argument, but a "wimpering *****cat" based on what?

Based on the fact that he just sat thier emotionless while his team was getting thier ***** handed to them and playing uninspired. I would have rather seen him up in somebodies face. I am not a big fan of "player coaches" but I'm not saying it cannot work. Some coaches yell and scream because they are passionate and EXPECT it to be done right. You risk showing a lack of passion by being player friendly. The result is uninspired football.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
Bruce said:
recte44 said:

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't see how you think players publicly whining about practice is a good reflection on the coach, but Henderson and others have certainly described him as a players coach and far less organized and intense as Sherman.

I agree with pyle on the lack of inspiration that showed up in the squad in 3 of 4 exhibition games, but I like to be optimistic -- so bring on da bears!

If they come out flat against the Bears THEN I would talk about his teams looking "uninspired" because we all know for a fact that many many many NFL starters in this league are "uninspired" by the preseason and the proof is in the pudding for all of those crying for a shorter preseason(and it's going to happen soon). I agree his promotion was a gamble. Jim Bates would have been a gamble, too. Sherman has a problem of "overpreparing" and MM likes to kee things simple. I agree with that method. As far as Sherman being intense? Well that didn't often get too good of results.

Again, I clearly said that I was not commenting on whether that was a good or a bad thing. But to this point McCarthy seems to be in over his head. Though I sure do not hold him responsible for Ted not supplying him with answers to the troubles in the offensive line, however if he thought hiring Jags was going to be some miracle solution he is naive.

Interesting that nary a comment on the worst coaching staff in the NFL ratings that were provided from neutral writers. I think they are guilty of hyperbole, but do not think that they failed to make points based upon real performance VS hopes and wishes.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
cheesey said:

THANK YOU Cory! :D

I hope this weekend, we see the Packers man handle "Da Bears!" I really do think it's possible! I think Chicago's "D" isn't as good as it was last year, and their "O" is still suspect in my view. Plus, being at Lambeau will be a great first game venue for the "new" Packers! I'm excited about it! :D

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the fact that he just sat thier emotionless while his team was getting thier ***** handed to them and playing uninspired. I would have rather seen him up in somebodies face. I am not a big fan of "player coaches" but I'm not saying it cannot work. Some coaches yell and scream because they are passionate and EXPECT it to be done right. You risk showing a lack of passion by being player friendly. The result is uninspired football.

It's preseason. It's no different than any team in the league getting beat in the preseason. I've watched quite a few games this year alone in preseason and no matter the score players on both sides smiling and laughing it up. MM dress someone down in the preseason? Most of these guys know they have the perform or their butts are gone.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Cory said:
Well that didn't often get too good of results.

Uhhhhhh....57-39

Yeah, that awful

It still comes down to how you do in the playoffs. And that wasn't very good as i remember.
I want a passionate coach that EXPECTS his guys to perform, AND get in their faces when they mess up, AND to pat them on the back when they do well. Gotta do both, or you will lose your team.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Cory said:
cheesey said:

THANK YOU Cory! :D

I hope this weekend, we see the Packers man handle "Da Bears!" I really do think it's possible! I think Chicago's "D" isn't as good as it was last year, and their "O" is still suspect in my view. Plus, being at Lambeau will be a great first game venue for the "new" Packers! I'm excited about it! :D

I'm right there with ya, bud. Very excited. If Favre plays intelligently and to his ability then we have a real good shot at this one.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hopeful for da bears game, but I am a hopeful guy.

As to the playoff stuff, Sherman got this team to the playoffs after taking over a team headed in the wrong direction. How often has MM coached on teams that even made it to the playoffs? It is not pretty.

I hope not, but it is quite possible that in a couple of years fans will be calling the Sherman days the good old days.

BTW Sherman is coaching in a greatly improved Houston.

I am out of here.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Cory said:
Bruce said:
recte44 said:

Again, I clearly said that I was not commenting on whether that was a good or a bad thing. But to this point McCarthy seems to be in over his head. Though I sure do not hold him responsible for Ted not supplying him with answers to the troubles in the offensive line, however if he thought hiring Jags was going to be some miracle solution he is naive.

Interesting that nary a comment on the worst coaching staff in the NFL ratings that were provided from neutral writers. I think they are guilty of hyperbole, but do not think that they failed to make points based upon real performance VS hopes and wishes.

To this point he appears over his head based on what? Does Tony Dungy appear over his head? Bill Cowher? Their records in the preseason weren't too good either. I don't recall him ever saying Jags was some miracle solution, but that he believes in Jags history and the zone blocking scheme. It takes time. They are improving and from what I saw yesterday it appears to me that Gado and Davenport just do not understand the system. There were many holes for Gado to it and at times he looked like he was starting to get it only to run into his linemen on the next play. Why is it that when someone believes in what MM is trying to do its just "hopes and wishes" ? I couldn't care less what a writer said about MM.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:

As to the playoff stuff, Sherman got this team to the playoffs after taking over a team headed in the wrong direction. How often has MM coached on teams that even made it to the playoffs? It is not pretty.

I hope not, but it is quite possible that in a couple of years fans will be calling the Sherman days the good old days.

I am out of here.

Again greatly improved based on what? They had nowhere to go, but up.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
Bruce said:

I am out of here.

Again greatly improved based on what? They had nowhere to go, but up.

Cory: What gives? You are the one who asked what was Sherman doing. Further, it is you who is offering opinions with out any basis in fact.

Fact is MM was the offensive coordinator of (by far) the worst offense in the league last season. Before that he was the coordinator of a pretty ordinary NO offense that only made it to the playoffs once -- where they made a quick exit.

Comparing MM to Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher is so ridiculous that it does not deserve an answer. but you also asked:

Why is it that when someone believes in what MM is trying to do its just "hopes and wishes" ? I couldn't care less what a writer said about MM.

The answer is because there is nothing else to base it on. Every coach is trying to build a winner. His style has been that of a players coach and in three of 4 preseason games his team looked flat, uninspired and unpreparedm which resulted in them getting their ***** handed to them in embarassing fashion.

In contrast, the writers who you could careless to read offered opinions based upon actual performance.

Listen, I am hoping that you are the one who is right, but lighten up on the unsupported assertions that act like any questioning of McCarthy is sacrilige. It's not and it goes with the job descriptions of head coach (likewise for TT) and GM.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory: What gives? You are the one who asked what was Sherman doing. Further, it is you who is offering opinions with out any basis in fact.
I've gone over time and time again what I like about McCarthy. I'll do it again. I like his approach to practice. I like that he has the 11 on 11 drills when the players tired in order to try and eliminate penalties and mental errors. I like what he's done with the weightroom. I like his scheming in the pass game and I like the idea of a zone blocking scheme. I see improvement in all areas. I'm not saying it is at a level of where we all want it right now, but I see the direction it is headed at least IMO.

Fact is MM was the offensive coordinator of (by far) the worst offense in the league last season. Before that he was the coordinator of a pretty ordinary NO offense that only made it to the playoffs once -- where they made a quick exit.
That offense wasn't "ordinary" as the MM being the OC broke 25 New Orleans team offensive records during his tenure. He had 0 to work with in San Fran. They traded his best option at QB(that's when his offense was performing more respectively) in Tim Rattay and went with Alex Smith WAAAYYYYY too early. Brandon Lloyd was his #1 reciever. His Oline was constantly injured and beat up as well as young. That offense was horrible, no question, but he had pop warner players to work with....Everyone knew that team was going to be awful as they attempt to rebuild.

Comparing MM to Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher is so ridiculous that it does not deserve an answer. but you also asked:

Why is it that when someone believes in what MM is trying to do its just "hopes and wishes" ? I couldn't care less what a writer said about MM.

The answer is because there is nothing else to base it on. Every coach is trying to build a winner. His style has been that of a players coach and in three of 4 preseason games his team looked flat, uninspired and unpreparedm which resulted in them getting their ***** handed to them in embarassing fashion.
I'm not "comparing" MM to Dungy or Cowher at all as a coach. I'm saying they had poor preseasons as well. I don't think the team looked "flat" against San Diego I think their defense looked vanilla in scheme not to mention we held them to a 3.2 ypc on running and their Oline hadn't prepared for a 3-4 defense especially one that good. They came out flat and made stupid mistakes against Cincinatti and their first stringers forced a punt and scored on 2 plays against Tennessee. I don't see it as "bad" as some others do.

In contrast, the writers who you could careless to read offered opinions based upon actual performance.

Listen, I am hoping that you are the one who is right, but lighten up on the unsupported assertions that act like any questioning of McCarthy is sacrilige. It's not and it goes with the job descriptions of head coach (likewise for TT) and GM.

I understand the questioning of MM, but to judge anything he does off of preseason to me is ridiculous. I know we have nothing to go on other than preseason, but again it's PREseason. It doesn't matter nor does it count. Like I said I could care less what a writer says about MM at this point.

OP
OP
vikesrule

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been learning a lot about the Pack from this. Thanks to all
I have really enjoyed watching this thread progress from basic opinions to some thoughtful discussion
8)

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I admit vikes you're hard to hate but fun to smack with. I know what you mean though my friends are Vikes fans and I know almost as much about them as the Pack, makes the rivalry even better.

Members online

Latest posts