Enlighten me

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with some other of teams, I know that the Packers have some players that are aging and injury prone,. They also have some very young players.
Who do you think that Pack will rely on as "young veterans" to help in the years to come?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk OLB
Greg Jennings WR
Jason Spitz OG
Tony Moll OG

Those will be primarily the 4 that have to help us the most.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, not rookies. i think you have to rely on barnett, scott wells, and nick collins to play above their pre-supposed ability and turn into the team's new leaders. you can't rely on rookies to do that, sorry.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikesrule said:
As with some other of teams, I know that the Packers have some players that are aging and injury prone,. They also have some very young players.
Who do you think that Pack will rely on as "young veterans" to help in the years to come?

Actually there aren't very many aging, injury prone players left on the Packers roster. Many have been replaced with rookies and 2nd year players. That is a big concern for this team though when it comes to veteran leadership. This is definitely a good question and I hope not just a bait coming from a Minny fan.

Harris is definitely the leader for the secondary. I think that once Manuel proves himself, he will become a leader. He's sat out most of preseason though and therefore hasn't earned that role yet. Woodson will likely be a leader. Barnett will be the leader for the LB's and has definitely earned that role. Kampman and Pickett should step up as leaders for the DL.

On offense, Favre is unquestionably the leader. I see Tauscher and Wells being there as leaders for the OL. Henderson and Green will be leaders for the RBs/FBs. Franks will be the leader for the TEs and Driver for the WRs.

Young guys also stepping up as leaders will likely be Collins and Jenkins. I just can't see any rookies stepping up as leaders yet because they haven't earned that status yet.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I think it will be the older players that the younger players have to watch and learn from. The rookies dont usually make an inpact on a team for a few years.

I to believe it will be KGB, Barnett, Wells, Harris, DD I know I am forgetting a few.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this year favre,driver,henderson d-line they arent many there kgb harris,kampman next year rodgers will have to step up and get the confidethe players that he can be a tough q.b.

OP
OP
vikesrule

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
This is definitely a good question and I hope not just a bait coming from a Minny fan.
No, this is not bait. I may lay some smack down in the smack area, but that is where it will stay.
I was really curious as to Packer Fans opinions as to the question.
I really do not know much about the Packers as far as the entire team as a whole.
Thanks for the input, I will have to check out the individuals that you have mentioned.
8)

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikesrule said:
Bobby Roberts said:
This is definitely a good question and I hope not just a bait coming from a Minny fan.
No, this is not bait. I may lay some smack down in the smack area, but that is where it will stay.
I was really curious as to Packer Fans opinions as to the question.
I really do not know much about the Packers as far as the entire team as a whole.
Thanks for the input, I will have to check out the individuals that you have mentioned.
8)

Sounds good. I hope my response was helpful then.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Jennings
Brady Poppinga
AJ Hawk
Abdul Hodge
Tony Moll
Jason Spitz

All those guys will be starting with the exception of Hodge. I expect Poppinga to beat out Taylor in the near future. As early as Week 4. I expect Hodge to see a lot of playing time as well. I think he'll spare Barnett some minutes this year.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Greg Jennings
Brady Poppinga
AJ Hawk
Abdul Hodge
Tony Moll
Jason Spitz

All those guys will be starting with the exception of Hodge. I expect Poppinga to beat out Taylor in the near future. As early as Week 4. I expect Hodge to see a lot of playing time as well. I think he'll spare Barnett some minutes this year.

I think out of the group we are going to need Tony Moll and Jason Spitz to catch on quickly and step up the most.

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1: Aaron Rodgers. He's going to be the key to the next five years. Everything he's shown me this fall has me thinking he's going to be an excellent NFL quarterback.

#2: Jason Spitz. He's going to e the stalwart of the line for years to come once he figures everything out. I have little confidence that Moll will be a long term solution, however....

#3: Daryn Colledge. This guy has come into the league exactly like Wahle. An athletic tackle/guard with strength issues. He's almost a carbon copy of Wahle physically. I know many have already written him off, but I remember the same thing happening with Wahle and we all know how that turned out. TT will be proven right on this pick by the third year of Colledge's career.

#4: Abdul Hodge. Yes, I think Hodge will be a more key performer for the Pack than Hawk in the long run. Hawk is going to be a nice player, but not a dominating player. Hodge will run the defense for years after Barnett leaves town, which he's made no bones about.

#5: Nick Collins. Will be one of the best safeties in the league, he'll be a Pro Bowl selection this year and many after.

#6: Greg Jennings. The last two Packer rookie recievers to start on Opening Day of their rookie years are James Lofton and Sterling Sharpe. That should give you some idea of the type of player I expect him to be, as does the coaching staff.

#7: Mike McCarthy. I love this guy. I think he's going to be an awesome coach. You have to look very closely to see the signs of it right now, but don't get blinded by the game results. Look at his practices, look at his development of young players. I think he was an outstanding hire and will be given time to develop, just as he's charged to do with this young and promising roster.

There are several more, but I think these are the key guys that will help propel the Packers back to the top of the division within three years.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1: Aaron Rodgers. He's going to be the key to the next five years. Everything he's shown me this fall has me thinking he's going to be an excellent NFL quarterback.
I don't know about "excellent" but possibly servicable. He made strides no doubt and has worked hard, but his reads and decision making is still questionable at best.

#2: Jason Spitz. He's going to e the stalwart of the line for years to come once he figures everything out. I have little confidence that Moll will be a long term solution, however....
I agree. I like Spitz. He gets to the second level very quickly. Just needs to settle in the system.

#3: Daryn Colledge. This guy has come into the league exactly like Wahle. An athletic tackle/guard with strength issues. He's almost a carbon copy of Wahle physically. I know many have already written him off, but I remember the same thing happening with Wahle and we all know how that turned out. TT will be proven right on this pick by the third year of Colledge's career.
I agree here, too. Colledge will be fine either at LT or LG whichever they put him in the long run.

#4: Abdul Hodge. Yes, I think Hodge will be a more key performer for the Pack than Hawk in the long run. Hawk is going to be a nice player, but not a dominating player. Hodge will run the defense for years after Barnett leaves town, which he's made no bones about.
Hodge will run the defense? I don't agree with this as he is still very poor in coverage and inconsistant against the run, although he is a rook of course. Hawk leaving after the first series ought to tell you what the coaches think of him because if they felt he needed the extra work he would have played alot more. That's not to say he doesnt need work, but suggests that hes one our more ready defensive players. That and Hawk has been performing so well in practice as of late they have made him a focal point in this defense.

#5: Nick Collins. Will be one of the best safeties in the league, he'll be a Pro Bowl selection this year and many after.
I don't know about "one of the best" but I think he will be very good. Definitely our best safety for sure since Butler. Just not quite the ballhawk that Sharper was...

#6: Greg Jennings. The last two Packer rookie recievers to start on Opening Day of their rookie years are James Lofton and Sterling Sharpe. That should give you some idea of the type of player I expect him to be, as does the coaching staff.
I love Jennings, but I would hold the comparisons to Sharpe and Lofton. No one would have caught Sharpe of Lofton from behind like yesterday. I think Jennings is just the obvious best option for a #2 right now. He does in SOME ways remind me of Cris Carter because he's not overly fast, but hes quick and crafty.

#7: Mike McCarthy. I love this guy. I think he's going to be an awesome coach. You have to look very closely to see the signs of it right now, but don't get blinded by the game results. Look at his practices, look at his development of young players. I think he was an outstanding hire and will be given time to develop, just as he's charged to do with this young and promising roster.
Amen I agree 100%. Good thoughts for sure on this topic. He's a no nonsense coach that knows what he wants from his players. I don't know if well beat the bears, but well give them everything they want for sure.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
[quote:2ncy0j7k]#7: Mike McCarthy. I love this guy. I think he's going to be an awesome coach. You have to look very closely to see the signs of it right now, but don't get blinded by the game results. Look at his practices, look at his development of young players. I think he was an outstanding hire and will be given time to develop, just as he's charged to do with this young and promising roster.
Amen I agree 100%. Good thoughts for sure on this topic. He's a no nonsense coach that knows what he wants from his players. I don't know if well beat the bears, but well give them everything they want for sure.
[/quote:2ncy0j7k]

I am hoping for the best and that Mike McCarthy will grow into the job, but cannot see the proclamation of “sure thingâ€

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one.....coach OR player is a "sure thing." It will take time to see if McCarthy turns out to be a good, bad, or so-so coach. Just like TT, i am giving him time to prove himself either way.
The jury will be out till the season is over as i see it. We have nothing to really judge MM on either way yet.

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sitting here proclaiming him to be "best coach ever", either. What I'm saying is I like the tone he's set, and I like the way he speaks. Leadership is the key element to being a successful head coach- not schemes. McCarthy has shown me leadership this season which is something we've lacked with Mike Sherman at the helm in the past years. Swap out Sherman for McCarthy two seasons ago and I think the results would have been difference.

There has been some flak from players about his rigorous training schedule this training camp, but I'd be willing to wager the players have a lot more respect for his directness and enthusiasm over Sherman's style of leadership.

This is why I'm enthuastic about his chances as succeeding. Obviously, time will tell, but the early returns are quite encouraging.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recte44.....i like what i see so far too!!! I'm just trying to remain level until we see what happens when the REAL games start. I have high hopes for MM! Right now, thats all they are, hopes!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recte44 said:
I'm not sitting here proclaiming him to be "best coach ever", either. What I'm saying is I like the tone he's set, and I like the way he speaks. Leadership is the key element to being a successful head coach- not schemes. McCarthy has shown me leadership this season which is something we've lacked with Mike Sherman at the helm in the past years. Swap out Sherman for McCarthy two seasons ago and I think the results would have been difference.

There has been some flak from players about his rigorous training schedule this training camp, but I'd be willing to wager the players have a lot more respect for his directness and enthusiasm over Sherman's style of leadership.

This is why I'm enthuastic about his chances as succeeding. Obviously, time will tell, but the early returns are quite encouraging.

I disagree, the team has looked flat and uninspired 2,maybe 3, games out of 4. He doesn't seem to be the guy I expected him to be. He reminds me a wimpering *****cat. Someone please call Jim Bates

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wishing that MM would be alot like Cower since they are both from Pittsbugh...Cower is a great coach that takes NO crap...I want to see MM spit alittle..lol

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
I was wishing that MM would be alot like Cower since they are both from Pittsbugh...Cower is a great coach that takes NO crap...I want to see MM spit alittle..lol

Hey Hedder......look how long it took Cowher to win a Super Bowl! Sometimes taking no crap leaves no room for a player/coach relationship to grow. Of course i never played in the NFL, but i think guys will play their hearts out for someone they not only fear, but like as well.
None of us knows what MM is like behind closed doors. He might get on the guys alot more then we see.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recte44 said:

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't see how you think players publicly whining about practice is a good reflection on the coach, but Henderson and others have certainly described him as a players coach and far less organized and intense as Sherman.

I hope you right, but at best his promotion to head coach was a gamble.

I agree with pyle on the lack of inspiration that showed up in the squad in 3 of 4 exhibition games, but I like to be optimistic -- so bring on da bears!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recte44 said:

Some players also comment on the fact that he gets to know them personally and they like that. They also comment on that he isn't willing to risk their futures in a preseason game if they are injured, but can still play. Less intimidating than Sherman(answering another post), maybe but that can also be contributed to the fact that it was well known Sherman had problems with different opinions in the staff. I'd rather the players respect MM than be intimidated by him for the wrong reasons. They seem to respect him and buy into his system. I think Favre has been HUGE in MM's transition to the head coach for the other players around him. Favre has answered McCarthy and thus far is making better decisions with the football and playing within the system more than in years past. The team will be well prepared for chicago, but of course we have to wait and see.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
recte44 said:

I disagree, the team has looked flat and uninspired 2,maybe 3, games out of 4. He doesn't seem to be the guy I expected him to be. He reminds me a wimpering *****cat. Someone please call Jim Bates

I can understand your disagreement and the content of your argument, but a "wimpering *****cat" based on what?

Members online

Latest posts