End of season WR2 for the packers predictions.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Lazard is what many think he is, at least not at this point in his career (and I HOPE I'm wrong) but let's not forget had the MVS experiment as #2 not fallen flat and Lazard been given a whole season he did project to some rather respectable stats.

He played in only 11 regular season games. 477 yards on 35 receptions along with 3 TD's. Easily projects to around 700 yards - 50 receptions - 4.5 TDs

While that isn't eye popping, and I suspect conservative, as basically a first year depended on guy he showed some reason for folks to have hope.

NOW granted MVS on the other hand as a rookie showed similar if not better "hope for the future"....is Lazard a similar story, just from an entirely different type WR? Or does he excel. Truthfully I think it lies somewhere inbetween and he will be a solid long term #2/#3 type guy never truly finding which he is.

I have said before while I'd have drafted Pittman, I still have hope that Funchess can easily be a team's #2 if health is no issue and I strongly feel between Lazard, EQ or MVS someone is going to excel (each of the three have something serious to prove this year)....and no one should be shocked if Reggie Begelton comes in and does a Kumerow type rise from the bottom.
Well said Ty. I guess I didn’t notice MVS much in season 1. I think he is the least likely to make the 53. Begelton is interesting and worth a shot.

Reaction score
Well said Ty. I guess I didn’t notice MVS much in season 1. I think he is the least likely to make the 53. Begelton is interesting and worth a shot.
I think MVS can still be utilized and will make the Roster. In 2020 MVS needs to show some improvement.
What’s intriguing to me about Begelton is he has more the ideal Slot measurables. He’s also very elusive if given a few yards of space and he has thus far excelled at a ST gunner so that doesn’t hurt his cause. I see Begelton making the Roster as our #6 starting on ST and maybe given some Offensive snap opportunities along the way. MVS I have more as a #5 WR in pecking order.
All that said, anything goes and each season presents new struggles and new opportunities to descend or ascend.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS is gonna explode or fizzle in this year. He has to, there has never been more heat applied to his butt than now. If he fizzles he will be gone by years end if not sooner. Even if he does well...he very well may not see 2021 contract offer...or it will be another small one year prove it year.

D

Deleted member 6794

MVS is gonna explode or fizzle in this year. He has to, there has never been more heat applied to his butt than now. If he fizzles he will be gone by years end if not sooner. Even if he does well...he very well may not see 2021 contract offer...or it will be another small one year prove it year.

Just for the record, MVS is signed through the 2021 season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
St. Brown is the most talented and complete wr on the roster not named davantae Adams. I expect him to have around 50 catches and avg around 15 yards a catch. I think it was a mistake to not carry him onto the initial 53 so he could be placed on ir with the designation to return. I think he would have made an impact in the playoffs had they played it right from the start.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct, but another year like last I don't see him seeing it.

Idk maybe that's just the player he is. A number 4 that gets you 25/30 catches 500 yards and a couple tds a year while bringing that dangerous speed/deep threat dimension. I'd say there's a spot on the roster for that. Pretty good roll player as your number 4. Which is what I think he is this season behind Adams, EQ, and funchess. If he can put up similar production to his first 2 years in that spot in 2020 he definitely makes the roster in 2021.

2019 38 for 581 15.3 and 2
2020 26 for 452 17.4 and 2

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk maybe that's just the player he is. A number 4 that gets you 25/30 catches 500 yards and a couple tds a year while bringing that dangerous speed/deep threat dimension. I'd say there's a spot on the roster for that. Pretty good roll player as your number 4. Which is what I think he is this season behind Adams, EQ, and funchess. If he can put up similar production to his first 2 years in that spot in 2020 he definitely makes the roster in 2021.

2019 38 for 581 15.3 and 2
2020 26 for 452 17.4 and 2

Oh don't get me wrong he is the type of WR that we currently do not have on the roster, pure speed. However, I fully suspect should he continue to regress as he has they will attempt to find a replacement. I think he can put up those numbers but perform MUCH better and more consistent.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong he is the type of WR that we currently do not have on the roster, pure speed. However, I fully suspect should he continue to regress as he has they will attempt to find a replacement. I think he can put up those numbers but perform MUCH better and more consistent.

I agree and if he does as the number 4 we I think that means the packers have a top 5 offense in 2020

D

Deleted member 6794

Correct, but another year like last I don't see him seeing it.

That's possible. While MVS performed at decent level the first half of last season he regressed and completely disappeared in the second. If that happens again the Packers might move on from him.

A number 4 that gets you 25/30 catches 500 yards and a couple tds a year while bringing that dangerous speed/deep threat dimension.

MVS needs to be on the same page with the quarterback way more often to be considered a deep threat. Otherwise he won't see the field despite having the potential to develop into one.

So was J’mon Moore.
MVS dead cap in 2021 is just $54K.

There's no doubt the Packers can move on from MVS without taking a meaningful cap hit. I just put it out for the record that he's under contract for another two years.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still don't understand the love for St. Brown as he never really popped off my screen. Imo MVS is just as good if not better than he is and has higher upside.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still don't understand the love for St. Brown as he never really popped off my screen. Imo MVS is just as good if not better than he is and has higher upside.

A lot of it seems to be wishful thinking. He has a grand total of 21 career receptions. There really isn't much body of work to judge him on

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you see him and MVS as similar you have not watched enough tape of them both. EQ does not rely solely on raw speed or ever only one aspect of his position to get open. Those that remember his draft remember I was high on the guy, the dude is a genius and can digest any playbook thrown at him. That is why when he was thrown into action his rookie year late in the season he did very well and appeared to be where Rodgers assumed he should be when he should be (something MVS still is hit or miss on).

EQ also combines a rare mix of height, speed, route ability and smarts. Now does it all come together or fall apart...that is the question with as much of a chance on either outcome honestly.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you see him and MVS as similar you have not watched enough tape of them both. EQ does not rely solely on raw speed or ever only one aspect of his position to get open. Those that remember his draft remember I was high on the guy, the dude is a genius and can digest any playbook thrown at him. That is why when he was thrown into action his rookie year late in the season he did very well and appeared to be where Rodgers assumed he should be when he should be (something MVS still is hit or miss on).

EQ also combines a rare mix of height, speed, route ability and smarts. Now does it all come together or fall apart...that is the question with as much of a chance on either outcome honestly.
There is not enough body of work to make a fair assessment on him imo. As @Pintsizedbox9 pointed out he only had 21 receptions throughout his career. This seems like wishful thinking, similar to how people were so confident Geronimo would replace Cobb. I don't wish for him to fail, but I don't him in the same light as you and some of the others do.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There isn't a big body of work, there's even less on the picks from this last draft. All you have is physical skills and potential. But i do think EQSB has as much potential as anyone and plenty to be a very good WR. He needs to do it, but that would be the same for anyone we picked. His size is great, he has historically had good hands. He seems pretty bright. He runs well, he's plenty fast.

I don't remember too many thinking Gmo would replace Cobb. They're not remotely similar in how they play, but I and others did think this offense would have enough to be plenty potent. Well Gm and MVS both regressed and our young TE's were hurt much of the year and Graham stayed steady at underwhelming. But, there are plenty of ways to win football games and had we been paying Cobb 10 million per for another 38 catches for under 400 yards and 2 TD's, I doubt we'd have won as many with that money tied up in that production.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember too many thinking Gmo would replace Cobb.
Oh YES THERE WAS! I remember because I was one of the LONE people insisting on how getting rid of Cobb was a mistake, and how a majority of people felt Allison could fill in for what Cobb did based on what he did prior to going down with injury. Yes there was!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probably just picking apart words, so i'll concede.

I still don't think getting rid of Cobb was a mistake, his cost was way too high for what he had been giving us for a couple seasons.

as far as the offense went, I think it was year 1 offense and year 1 coach way more than it was Cobb being gone that affected it.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
his cost was way too high for what he had been giving us for a couple seasons.

True, but then he re-emerged at Dallas with 828. How can you predict anything....

One thing we know is GB loves big receivers. They're all 6'4" or 6'5" except Devante and, if he makes it, Begelton.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but then he re-emerged at Dallas with 828. How can you predict anything....

One thing we know is GB loves big receivers. They're all 6'4" or 6'5" except Devante and, if he makes it, Begelton.
and for 5 million bucks with is experience I'd take it. had they paid him the 10 we were for that? suddenly that 828 and 3TD's doesn't look all that inviting either.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is not enough body of work to make a fair assessment on him imo. As @Pintsizedbox9 pointed out he only had 21 receptions throughout his career. This seems like wishful thinking, similar to how people were so confident Geronimo would replace Cobb. I don't wish for him to fail, but I don't him in the same light as you and some of the others do.

Clearly you missed the part he didn't even see many snaps till late, or the fact the direct quote of mine ended with

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's unpack the MVS and EQ comparison by the numbers (which to be fair is something I had not done discussing).

MVS in 2018 saw the field for:
16 Games Played In
692 Snaps
72 Targets or .10 per snap.
38 Receptions or .055 per snap.
581 Yards or .839 per snap.

That same season EQ saw the field for:
12 Games Played In
358 Snaps
36 Targets or .10 per snap.
21 Receptions .058 per snap.
328 Yards or .92 yards per snap

In half the amount of time/snaps EQ impresses when compared to MVS in each of their respective rookie seasons (2018).

As we know EQ could regress which MVS arguably did in 2019 in comparison to his 2018. That said is very fair and valid in the limited time EQ saw, he showed reasons why the staff, scouts and teammates think they might have something there. Still a VERY unproven factor, but valid reasons to think there may be something there.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will also add that MVS or ESB becoming the #2 WR would help this offense more than Lazard being the #2 for the simple reason that MVS or ESB add a deep threat element that is missing with Lazard on the field. Adams/Lazard/Sternberger/Lewis is not a receiving group that is going to have any defenses fearing the deep pass. Replace Lazard/Lewis with MVS or ESB and you have a guy on the field that safeties have to worry about getting behind them and that will also open up more space for underneath routes or running lanes.

Although this is also assuming that either of those two can be good run blockers because that's going to be a more important requirement under MLF than it was under MM.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh YES THERE WAS! I remember because I was one of the LONE people insisting on how getting rid of Cobb was a mistake, and how a majority of people felt Allison could fill in for what Cobb did based on what he did prior to going down with injury. Yes there was!
Well, I was one for Geronimo. But not to replace Cobb. Geronimo was played out of position all year long. He should be a W/O! We'll see what happens with him in Detroit but I can't believe anyone else would put him in the slot.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am going to say Reggie Begelton...Lazard is the smart pick, as Begelton may not make the team, but if he is the real deal, the Packers could be in very good shape.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts