End of season WR2 for the packers predictions.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gordon just signed back with Seattle.
I am so sick of this guy getting opportunity after opportunity after blowing it so many freaking times. Idc how talented he is, so far he has not lived up to his potential and is more trouble than he's worth. Better people have received less opportunities than him.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so sick of this guy getting opportunity after opportunity after blowing it so many freaking times. Idc how talented he is, so far he has not lived up to his potential and is more trouble than he's worth. Better people have received less opportunities than him.

Talent gets paid. Must be dynamite on the practice field. Not too many built like JG.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm curious if people really think the slot receiver is going to matter that much in MLF's offense? He doesn't strike me as a 3 WR set guy, his history with the Titans and his statements appear to indicate he wants to run more of a 2RB/1TE/2WR or 1RB/2TE/2WR offense. For reference, in 2018 (when MLF was offensive coordinator), the Titans had 2 receivers with over 750 snaps and the third had a grand total of 178 offensive snaps.
Actually, the 2018 Titans had only one WR with over 750 offensive snaps and the third most was 444, but no matter, total WR snap counts are shown below.

2018 Titans: 245%, averaging 3-wide on 45% of snaps
2019 Packers: 254%, averaging 3-wide on 54% of plays

That difference in a 62 play game is about 6 snaps. I'd say that would be around the max you'll see of the reduction in Packer 3-WR sets this year vs. last.

Of course the Titans had Mariotta throwing to Corey Davis (2nd. season), Taywan Taylor (meh) and Tajae Sharpe (also meh), so you might want to adjust that 6 snaps down a bit.

You wouldn't expect a WR to top a 90% snap count in a healthy season. Adams has never reached that number and over 80% only twice. If you get lucky and your top two go 85% and 85%, there's a 75% WR snap count out there for one or more guys if that Titan number is matched. If your thought is that the question marks at WR are mitigated by not putting many of them on the field, I think you'll be surprised at how small the difference might be over last season. Whoever the top two might prove to be, one or the other or both are likely to miss games. It could be 85-60-60-40.

Really, it comes down to where the talent shows up and what works. You run what is working and that usually means you put as many productive and playmaking guys on the field as possible. It will largely come down to how the TEs show up. If a TE runs out of the slot with another guy in-line, it's a distinction without much difference given the leading slot candidates are big slots, not ankle breakers.

Regardless, I'd be pretty surprised if 2-Back is at all a staple. If Deguara is any good as a FB, it might be with Kuhn-type frequency, 10 or 12 snaps a game against some opponents, less against others, more if burning clock in the 4th. quarter, less if trailing. I still don't understand why people persist in refering to FBs as RBs in this day and age when FBs rarely carry the ball.

If by 2RB you mean Jones and Dillon on the field at the same time, I doubt you'll see that very much. The Jones/Williams combo was pretty rare last season. Jones and Ervin? Well, we saw a very little bit of that last season with Ervin split wide and I'd expect a very little bit of it this year. Ervin may get more carries on end arounds than he'll see targets.

The biggest variable isn't some preconceived notion of philosophy and personnel. It's how well the defense plays. Field a top 5 defense that keeps points off the beoard and you are afforded the luxury of running the ball more. Fall behind and you'll need speed on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm going to make the prediction that the #2 WR for the Packers at the end of this season is currently not on the roster. :cool: Keep your eyes on Free Agents or potential trades.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to make the prediction that the #2 WR for the Packers at the end of this season is currently not on the roster. :cool: Keep your eyes on Free Agents or potential trades.
Anyone in mind? I mean I don't think there is really anyone right now that's impressive out on the market. And who do you think we'll trade with and who will we part with?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone in mind? I mean I don't think there is really anyone right now that's impressive out on the market. And who do you think we'll trade with and who will we part with?

Josh Gordon

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signed with SeaHawks. I million one year I think.

I was just joking cuz do7 was so mad about it...but yeah that's a no brainer signing. The Packers should of tried to sign him, at that rate what's to lose. Either he plans out and you got a steal or he fizzles out and you lose basically as little as you could

H

HardRightEdge

Lazard. I base that on his outstanding 3rd. down performance. There's no guarantee that will persist under a heavier target load, but it's more than the other guys have shown. I suspect we're going to be pretty disappointed with Funchess. "Disappointed" might be the wrong word in talking about a 1 year, $2.6 mil guy wth an injury history. "Get what you pay for" would be the final analysis I suspect.

I wouldn't entirely rule out Jones. He was 3 yards short of #2 in receiving yards last year while winning 13 games. While it is highly implausible he's going to make some inverse-Montgomery switch to WR, it is conceivable he could spend enough time there to pull down, say, 700 yds including yards out of the backfield. Nowadays, if you pick a RB in the second round you better be projecting him to be a stud. If that shows up in year 1, which happens with RBs more than any other position, why not put your best talent on the field more often? Jones has shown he's a good route runner out of the slot, at least.

We wouldn't be happy that a running back turns in the #2 receiving yards tally in any season, but spreading the rest of the non-Adams balls around to a variety of WRs and TEs could have it turn out that way.
It's nice that somebody agrees with an opinion, sort of. That view has since been moderated, on several occasions.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Nobody in mind. I made the statement: "the #2 WR for the Packers at the end of this season is currently not on the roster", merely to point out how weak the current group is. Lazard ended 2019 as the #2 and he began 2019 on waivers and then the Packer PS. I don't see this current group of WR's as an improvement over last years group.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talent gets paid. Must be dynamite on the practice field. Not too many built like JG.

Yeah but that can also be a knife that stabs you in the back. A guy like OBJ becomes worth double digits millions, and then goes on auto pilot giving you very little the way he's been so far in Cleveland. Gordon looks about the same so far.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah but that can also be a knife that stabs you in the back. A guy like OBJ becomes worth double digits millions, and then goes on auto pilot giving you very little the way he's been so far in Cleveland. Gordon looks about the same so far.

Agreed. I don't get the desire by some Packer fans to sign guys like Gordon, Antonio Brown, OBJ, etc. When a player is THAT talented on the field and teams are purging them for reasons beyond money, that should be a big red flag. Sure, some of these guys finally get with a team and figure it out and end up being less of a distraction, but the risk reward in most cases isn't worth it IMO. Gordon hasn't even been reinstated to the NFL after his 6th suspension. He may look like a bargain at $1M to some, but sorry, for me its nothing but an insult to those guys who put 110% into being on your team and he gets a roster spot if and when he is reinstated?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd toss out last year for OBJ. He was in Kitchens system and that whole offense regressed big time. OBJ had #'s tracking him as a HOF receiver. Though his antics make the paper a lot, his ability on the field is top notch.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd toss out last year for OBJ. He was in Kitchens system and that whole offense regressed big time. OBJ had #'s tracking him as a HOF receiver. Though his antics make the paper a lot, his ability on the field is top notch.

Kitchens may have been in over his head as HC, but that's no excuse for multi million dollar WR to be lazy and make a stink on the field. Sorry, but he gets no pass from me on that regardless of the HC.

It's fine to sign a guy who has a little baggage if he's got the talent and work ethic to overcome it. Nobody is perfect and a few errors in ones past shouldn't negate second chances. But if you're habitually lazy, undisciplined, immature and and always bringing drama with you, you got no place on my roster.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitchens may have been in over his head as HC, but that's no excuse for multi million dollar WR to be lazy and make a stink on the field. Sorry, but he gets no pass from me on that regardless of the HC.

It's fine to sign a guy who has a little baggage if he's got the talent and work ethic to overcome it. Nobody is perfect and a few errors in ones past shouldn't negate second chances. But if you're habitually lazy, undisciplined, immature and and always bringing drama with you, you got no place on my roster.

Even in a down year he had over 1000 receiving yards. Baker had poor protection for much of the season which they addressed in the draft. I know obj is an easy target but there is a very good chance he rebounds. From what I've read he's been putting a lot of work in for the season. Definitely some room for him to rebound.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even in a down year he had over 1000 receiving yards. Baker had poor protection for much of the season which they addressed in the draft. I know obj is an easy target but there is a very good chance he rebounds. From what I've read he's been putting a lot of work in for the season. Definitely some room for him to rebound.

And if he does, then good, but he's still built up a bad reputation to overcome.

If there's a big name WR that pops up who becomes available, hey, I'm all for trying to get him here. Still better though if it's someone that has fewer incidents and isn't a head case.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is really going to be interesting next Sunday to see who our receivers are and how they do. I am hoping that when MVS takes two defenders deep, that Rodgers will find somebody else open and take the easier completion. TE is going to be very interesting to me also. Starting to get excited.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody in mind. I made the statement: "the #2 WR for the Packers at the end of this season is currently not on the roster", merely to point out how weak the current group is. Lazard ended 2019 as the #2 and he began 2019 on waivers and then the Packer PS. I don't see this current group of WR's as an improvement over last years group.
A lot will depend on whether Lazard picks up where he left off last year, or better, how much he has improved in the offseason. I don’t have any reason to think he’ll fail as the #2 WR, and God help us all if he does.

As to whether someone else ends the season as the #2 WR, who is not on the roster - well that’s a prediction and a bit of conjecture. Here’s hoping Lazard continues to ascend, one of the TEs steps up big time, and MVS turns into the player we all hope he becomes. That certainly seems to be Gluten’s take on things.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is really going to be interesting next Sunday to see who our receivers are and how they do. I am hoping that when MVS takes two defenders deep, that Rodgers will find somebody else open and take the easier completion. TE is going to be very interesting to me also. Starting to get excited.
Yeah I hope MVS steps up, that Lazard continues to ascend, and that one of the TEs has a great year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot will depend on whether Lazard picks up where he left off last year, or better, how much he has improved in the offseason. I don’t have any reason to think he’ll fail as the #2 WR, and God help us all if he does.

As to whether someone else ends the season as the #2 WR, who is not on the roster - well that’s a prediction and a bit of conjecture. Here’s hoping Lazard continues to ascend, one of the TEs steps up big time, and MVS turns into the player we all hope he becomes. That certainly seems to be Gluten’s take on things.

I liked Lazard coming out of College and was super happy when the Packers eventually poached him off the Jaguars practice squad in Dec. of 2018. That said, while he looked decent last season, relying on him to be your #2 is a big hope and a stretch IMO. Same goes with MVS and beyond. I really hope Lazard continues to get better, MVS forgets about last year and gets better, ESB improves in his "2nd year" and so and so on......just nothing I am too excited about or counting on with a group of 5 out of 6 players being described as "if they can ......"

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Lazard coming out of College and was super happy when the Packers eventually poached him off the Jaguars practice squad in Dec. of 2018. That said, while he looked decent last season, relying on him to be your #2 is a big hope and a stretch IMO. Same goes with MVS and beyond. I really hope Lazard continues to get better, MVS forgets about last year and gets better, ESB improves in his "2nd year" and so and so on......just nothing I am too excited about or counting on with a group of 5 out of 6 players being described as "if they can ......"
Absolutely agree with you. Every WR in GB not named Adams has the word "if" to describe their upcoming season. That adds up to a lot of "ifs" and not all of them will come to pass. I'll be happy if Lazard maintains or improves on last season's performance, and if MVS OR ESB break out. There's still a lot of unknowns about the WR group as a whole. Clearly Gluten sees potential with the guys he's got, just based on the draft and FA. Hope is not a strategy, but for now, hope is all we've got.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Completely agree. Let some loser team disrupt their locker room by bringing in the jack wagons.