End of season WR2 for the packers predictions.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers offense is going to be great this year then the 2nd WR need to be either MVS or ESB; cause if it's Lazard then that means the Packers #2 receiver was basically a TE who can't block and if it's Jones again then Gute really f'd up.

Sounds like it's gonna be mvs I had my money on eqsb but we'll see haven't heard anything about him and have been hearing a lot of good things about mvs lately...I agree that one if those two needs to sieze the number 2 role. What would be the best case scenario is mvs grabs the 2 spot eqsb takes the 3 spot and Lazard is pushed down to 4 where he belongs. Because you're correct on a super bowl champion team Lazard is no better than the 4 or 5 wr and that's not a knock on him, just the reality

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering who will be running out of the slot. None of the incumbents look like a good fit; they're all long striders. There's Adams, money out of the slot, but that should be only occasionally as in the past.

Probably Jace Sternberger and Josiah deguara with Jones Adams and eqsb mixed in

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably Jace Sternberger and Josiah deguara with Jones Adams and eqsb mixed in

I really hope Deguaera becomes the extremely rare TE that can play as a rookie but it will probably be 2-3 years, at best, before he becomes close to an average NFL TE. Chances are that Tonyan is the starter from the slot with Sternberger playing as the occasional backup. Again, TEs don't usually play well for their first few years in the NFL.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering who will be running out of the slot. None of the incumbents look like a good fit; they're all long striders. There's Adams, money out of the slot, but that should be only occasionally as in the past.

Jones and Ervin will get a decent amount of looks there, I think.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we’ll see plenty of Funchess.

Did I miss some news? I thought Funches opted out of the season due to COVID.

Also, I really doubt MVS will get much better. I read that he had a sore knee for the last 8 games, but he's just not strong at the top of the route. He'd have to change his whole style of catching, reach out & fight for balls, rather than body catch everything. Do receivers make these kind of fundamental improvements?

H

HardRightEdge

Jones and Ervin will get a decent amount of looks there, I think.
Occasionally, perhaps. For his few snaps last year Ervin was out wide. Jones was most effective when they could get him isolated on a linebacker.

Not counting TEs in the slot, which happens a lot everywhere, I'm gonna say the first time they line up in 3-wide on a passing down it will be Adams or MVS in the slot, not that it will stay that way.

The notion that the Packers will be running a predominently 2-WR offense, something that has been floated around here, is highly implausible. I'm expecting the Adams-MVS-Lazard combo for a lot of snaps unless and until those last two guys start ******** up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we failed to add anyone in the draft or free agency that looks like a clear cut #2 behind Adams who do you guy's think finishes the season as our WR2, and I am not including RB's or TE's just WR's.

My prediction is ESB.

Both ESB and Lazard are solid choices, but I wouldn't rule out MVS. Injury may have set him back last year, but he has a combination of vertical speed and size that no other Packer can match. Camp followers have reported improved route-running, especially intermediate routes. If he keeps that up, he could blossom into the best option not named Davante.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious if people really think the slot receiver is going to matter that much in MLF's offense? He doesn't strike me as a 3 WR set guy, his history with the Titans and his statements appear to indicate he wants to run more of a 2RB/1TE/2WR or 1RB/2TE/2WR offense. For reference, in 2018 (when MLF was offensive coordinator), the Titans had 2 receivers with over 750 snaps and the third had a grand total of 178 offensive snaps.

OP
OP
Fredrik87

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both ESB and Lazard are solid choices, but I wouldn't rule out MVS. Injury may have set him back last year, but he has a combination of vertical speed and size that no other Packer can match. Camp followers have reported improved route-running, especially intermediate routes. If he keeps that up, he could blossom into the best option not named Davante.
I am warming up to MVS his camp has been very impressive the question is if he can translate that to the field if he can he's got great homerun speed and would probably be very valuable for us.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am warming up to MVS his camp has been very impressive the question is if he can translate that to the field if he can he's got great homerun speed and would probably be very valuable for us.[/

With his speed, MVS certainly has home run potential. I'd like to see him get some snaps out of the slot as well. That's gonna require a real jump in his route running, but it seems like that's (finally) improving in camp. I'm pulling for him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can only hope it sure would be nice!
The thing is...how long of a leash do you give him. It's gonna be a lot of pressure for whoever is in that number 2 spot with a bunch of fans calling for the head of the receiver that drops one or two. I think they are going to have to do some rotating and let the number two kind of fall into place. I would not expect to see a number two right away.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is...how long of a leash do you give him. It's gonna be a lot of pressure for whoever is in that number 2 spot with a bunch of fans calling for the head of the receiver that drops one or two. I think they are going to have to do some rotating and let the number two kind of fall into place. I would not expect to see a number two right away.

Well there won't be fans booing him in the stands. He's just gotta impress the coaching staff, which it sounds like he's doing. That should lead to more and more opportunities (targets) to show what he can do.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Sanu may become available. Worst case he is a Funchess level type guy for us...I'd place a call for sure.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it’s going to be more pressure for opponents #2 CB guarding him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there won't be fans booing him in the stands. He's just gotta impress the coaching staff, which it sounds like he's doing. That should lead to more and more opportunities (targets) to show what he can do.
That's true. I forgot about that for a moment.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@gopkrs why the hate for Sanu?

I'm not saying he's going to light the world unfire, but at this point he isn't going to be expensive, offers instantly a very experienced ball catcher in a system that his type fits. I would hope he'd work out to be our #3a or #3b...but sadly if he'd been here in camp dude most likely would be our #2

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not saying he's going to light the world unfire, but at this point he isn't going to be expensive, offers instantly a very experienced ball catcher in a system that his type fits. I would hope he'd work out to be our #3a or #3b...but sadly if he'd been here in camp dude most likely would be our #2
He may not be expensive but he will disrupt the continuity of what is going on. And NE had him last year when he got hurt and now let him go after spending a 2nd round draft pick on him. The pundit I read says he just is not going to come back from that injury. NE let him go and they don't have really good receivers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may not be expensive but he will disrupt the continuity of what is going on. And NE had him last year when he got hurt and now let him go after spending a 2nd round draft pick on him. The pundit I read says he just is not going to come back from that injury. NE let him go and they don't have really good receivers.

Well I'd expect medical issues to be spotted before we sign him. He may have trouble passing physicals.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Patriots are worse than us at WR and let him go.

I wouldn't expect much.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna call and work him out to see. Shoot I want us to call and work out Gordon too though and it ain't happening.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gordon just signed back with Seattle. Doubt they're signing AB now for what that's worth. I think we stick with our dudes. If the hype on MVS is real then we'll be in ok shape, assuming Adams remains healthy and Tonyan steps up.

Members online

Latest posts