End of season WR2 for the packers predictions.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we failed to add anyone in the draft or free agency that looks like a clear cut #2 behind Adams who do you guy's think finishes the season as our WR2, and I am not including RB's or TE's just WR's.

My prediction is ESB.

H

HardRightEdge

Lazard. I base that on his outstanding 3rd. down performance. There's no guarantee that will persist under a heavier target load, but it's more than the other guys have shown. I suspect we're going to be pretty disappointed with Funchess. "Disappointed" might be the wrong word in talking about a 1 year, $2.6 mil guy wth an injury history. "Get what you pay for" would be the final analysis I suspect.

I wouldn't entirely rule out Jones. He was 3 yards short of #2 in receiving yards last year while winning 13 games. While it is highly implausible he's going to make some inverse-Montgomery switch to WR, it is conceivable he could spend enough time there to pull down, say, 700 yds including yards out of the backfield. Nowadays, if you pick a RB in the second round you better be projecting him to be a stud. If that shows up in year 1, which happens with RBs more than any other position, why not put your best talent on the field more often? Jones has shown he's a good route runner out of the slot, at least.

We wouldn't be happy that a running back turns in the #2 receiving yards tally in any season, but spreading the rest of the non-Adams balls around to a variety of WRs and TEs could have it turn out that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard is the favorite right now. My faith is shaken but I'm not giving up on MVS just yet.

Reaction score
My reasoning would lean towards who I think sees the most playing time moreso than the most talented. I think we’ll see plenty of Funchess.
He’s likely that guy.

I do agree though that EQ is kinda a dark horse candidate. EQ is the largely forgotten WR and IMO he’s the primary reason GB didn’t go WR after day 1 draft.
The majority of fans have forgotten that with Kizer throwing the ball in 2016, EQ basically put up 960+ yards and 9TDs as a Sophomore.

That said, EQ was not draft eligible or in that class he would’ve went top #75 and easily.
Instead, Wimbush came in as Kizer’s successor.
I remember a stat post season that said only 72% of EQ’s counted targets were even catchable, yet he got dinged in 2018 for a 58.3% catch rate when it was probably in the 70+% range in actuality, he had one of the worst QBs in all college throwing the ball (1,800 yards, 16TDs, 49% completion rate) Had even Kizer remained at QB it’s my opinion EQ would’ve went day 2 draft. It was no secret at the time that there were was some in the scouting community saying EQ graded as an early day 2 selection the year before Wimbush took the helm and hit an iceberg.

We have to absolutely consider production, but even us novice fans know that certain players on certain teams would perform drastically different (good or bad). They were saying Kizer didn’t do EQ any favors either, but actually I thought Kizer was pretty good while at Notre Dame

I have EQ ahead of Lazard long term, but Lazard may see more playing time earlier. If they can find ways to get the ball to EQ in space (he’s one of our best pure route runners) he’s going to tear it up and pass everyone not named Adams by the close of 2021.

PS. I agree with you HRE about Jones. I didn’t consider him, but that’s a great point.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

My faith is shaken but I'm not giving up on MVS just yet.
Sure. I'm not much of a believer in 3rd. year jumps with players who went backward in the 2nd. year. That goes for Jackson and Burks as well. You can't rule out that jump altogether so why bother until there is some evidence one way or the other. They're all on the roster, they will all be in camp whenever that happens, they'll maybe get a preseason to show something new or maybe not. The prospects for high snap counts are not good for any of these guys, but I'm not immune to be being pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
Fredrik87

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My reasoning would lean towards who I think sees the most playing time moreso than the most talented. I think we’ll see plenty of Funchess.
He’s likely that guy.

I do agree though that EQ is kinda a dark horse candidate. EQ is the largely forgotten WR and IMO he’s the primary reason GB didn’t go WR after day 1 draft.
The majority of fans have forgotten that with Kizer throwing the ball in 2016, EQ basically put up 960+ yards and 9TDs as a Sophomore.

That said, EQ was not draft eligible or in that class he would’ve went top #75 and easily.
Instead, Wimbush came in as Kizer’s successor.
I remember a stat post season that said only 72% of EQ’s counted targets were even catchable, yet he got dinged in 2018 for a 58.3% catch rate when it was probably in the 70+% range in actuality, he had one of the worst QBs in all college throwing the ball (1,800 yards, 16TDs, 49% completion rate) Had even Kizer remained at QB it’s my opinion EQ would’ve went day 2 draft. It was no secret at the time that there were was some in the scouting community saying EQ graded as an early day 2 selection the year before Wimbush took the helm and hit an iceberg.

We have to absolutely consider production, but even us novice fans know that certain players on certain teams would perform drastically different (good or bad). They were saying Kizer didn’t do EQ any favors either, but actually I thought Kizer was pretty good while at Notre Dame

I have EQ ahead of Lazard long term, but Lazard may see more playing time earlier. If they can find ways to get the ball to EQ in space (he’s one of our best pure route runners) he’s going to tear it up and pass everyone not named Adams by the close of 2021.

PS. I agree with you HRE about Jones. I didn’t consider him, but that’s a great point.

I went with EQ because of a few different reasons it appeared at least to me like he was starting to get a few more looks thrown his way at the end of the 2018 season and I can't remember him dropping anything and since you brought up his route running think he is a better route runner than the other guys we have outside of Adams.

Also I didn't include Jones or Sternberger for that matter as possibilities as I limited my options to WR's only otherwise I might have gone with one of them.

D

Deleted member 6794

I suspect we're going to be pretty disappointed with Funchess. "Disappointed" might be the wrong word in talking about a 1 year, $2.6 mil guy wth an injury history. "Get what you pay for" would be the final analysis I suspect.

I don't consider it to be fair to consider Funchess as injury-prone based on him suffering a broken clavicle with the Colts last season.

He missed a total of only four games the previous seven years with Michigan in college and the Panthers in the NFL.

EQ might end up developing into a decent #2 wide receiver but with a lot of uncertainty about it that shouldn't have resulted in Gutekunst not selecting a WR early in this year's draft.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we failed to add anyone in the draft or free agency that looks like a clear cut #2 behind Adams who do you guy's think finishes the season as our WR2, and I am not including RB's or TE's just WR's.

My prediction is ESB.

I completely agree. He has the talent. He has great measurables.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018estbrown.php

I also found a link for the reasons he slid in the 2018 NFL Draft.

https://walterfootball.com/ws2018estbrown.php

OP
OP
Fredrik87

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider it to be fair to consider Funchess as injury-prone based on him suffering a broken clavicle with the Colts last season.

He missed a total of only four games the previous seven years with Michigan in college and the Panthers in the NFL.

EQ might end up developing into a decent #2 wide receiver but with a lot of uncertainty about it that shouldn't have resulted in Gutekunst not selecting a WR early in this year's draft.

Agreed on both counts though I do have concerns about Funchess's drops and speed I agree that I wouldn't call him injury prone.

And in as deep a WR class as this past one was we should have drafted at least one.

Reaction score
Well it’s a fact that our entire personnel staff as a whole disagrees with you, because if they felt WR was a desperate need I’m pretty sure they would’ve used one of the 9 selections. It’s not like they forgot. :laugh:
I believe the GB staff felt like the signing of Funchess, the return of EQ, the emergence of Lazard and some sparks from MVS all showed encouraging signs. We now know that they feel confident that one or more of that group gets a significant increase in production. Of course that won’t be hard for Funchess or EQ because they were both injured last season.

Once let’s not be vague. If you’re going to continue naysaying every move c we made let’s get your players in now.

Captain. Which WR would you have picked at #62 or beyond again? Also. Would you have taken more than one? If so.. specifically by name which ones.​

Last edited:

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Doubt Edelman goes to the Packers. But it would be nice however. Just hope Furness will learn from his drops. You can only hope

OP
OP
Fredrik87

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna go for broke with this one... Reggie Begelton.

2nd pick: Julian Edelman (mid-season trade).

I was wondering if anybody would go with him to be honest I don't know what to think about him his highlights look good but it was against the CFL definitely will be interested to see what he does in preseason "if" there is a preseason.

Kind of doubt we get Edelman and I really doubt we get him without Bill fleecing us but I could see us adding a veteran if by midseason no one steps up as a clear #2.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can we focus on the posed question and not yet again turn a thread into a "I'm pissed we didn't draft a WR this year" discussion? We've all beat that dead horse 100 times over...myself included :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we focus on the posed question and not yet again turn a thread into a "I'm pissed we didn't draft a WR this year" discussion? We've all beat that dead horse 100 times over...myself included :)
beatings will continue until morale improves...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction is a split one.

I don't believe we will have a WR2 that, behind Adams, leads the WR group in total snaps and stat production.

As for who lines up and sees the most snaps behind Adams I believe Funchess will be that guy. However, the stability he will offer behind Adams I think will truly benefit that #3 and #4 guy as they wash out through the season. I think Lazard steals some early season snaps from other guys I truly think project better longterm than he (EQ being the main one to mind) has.

So I'll go Funchess gets the 2nd most snaps, but I don't feel he will be the 2nd "most productive" stat wise. I wouldn't be shocked if a EQ or a Lazard are 2nd in TDs, EQ or MVS 2nd in yardage, MVS or darkhorse Begelton 2nd in 20+ yard recepts - all of these are after Adams of course.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tough year to make predictions. I'd say Funchess. My dark horse is EQ because I think he likely has a decent knowledge of the offense and I think he has the physical attributes to be really good. I think he's a different type of receiver than Lazard, but i've seen more from Lazard. At least it's more fresh in my mind. EQ had ok rookie year for late round pick. Nothing spectacular, but showed he had the tools to be good. That potential has to be realized though, and it's been a year since he's had the chance to play any meaningful football. We'll see I guess. I've had some pretty good hopes for this kid.

Funchess "should", but then he's coming into a new offense and the little pre seasons stuff they could do before to get up to speed has been greatly hampered this year. Does he get up to operating speed quickly or struggle all year? Though then our offense is probably not going to be as "complicated" from a know your assignment as a WR as it has been in in the past. Not sure how it goes.

Lazard was working hard and producing late last year, he continues on that path and he's poised for a pretty good year and could easily be that #2 production guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well it’s a fact that our entire personnel staff as a whole disagrees with you, because if they felt WR was a desperate need I’m pretty sure they would’ve used one of the 9 selections. It’s not like they forgot. :laugh:

Well, let's hope I'm the one being wrong about the wide receiver corps entering this season.

Captain. Which WR would you have picked at #62 or beyond again? Also. Would you have taken more than one? If so.. specifically by name which ones.

I would have liked the Packers to draft a wide receiver at #26 and already named some of them in various threads.

Gutekunst should have taken another one with a late round pick as well, Tyler Johnson would have been a decent option.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading skills on forums illustrate a need for a better education system LOL