Earl Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers might be in position to trade up in next year's draft to get Deionte Thompson who looks like he might be the successor to Earl Thomas. I know pass rusher is a need but Thompson looks like he might be a once-every-five years level of coverage safety.

Well, if the safety situation doesn't improve you may be able to argue it is a bigger need.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers might be in position to trade up in next year's draft to get Deionte Thompson who looks like he might be the successor to Earl Thomas. I know pass rusher is a need but Thompson looks like he might be a once-every-five years level of coverage safety.

How come anytime I see the name "Thompson" , my interest level now goes to zero? :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

Think they'd take Jason Spriggs + a 4th for him? or Beluga?

The Packers would lack a decent starter at right tackle if they trade Bulaga.

Why do people want to get rid of our only good OL backup?

Unfortunately you might be right that Spriggs is our best backup offensive lineman but that doesn't automatically mean he's any good.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately you might be right that Spriggs is our best backup offensive lineman but that doesn't automatically mean he's any good.
Our backup OL played poorly, but that doesnt mean each player played poorly. I watched Spriggs on 20 -25 plays and he did well. He won many of the 1 on 1s or had a draw. He didnt loose any. Now, maybe I just didnt watch enough, or maybe Spriggs detractors are allowing Spriggs' struggles last year cloud their judgement.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our backup OL played poorly, but that doesnt mean each player played poorly. I watched Spriggs on 20 -25 plays and he did well. He won many of the 1 on 1s or had a draw. He didnt loose any. Now, maybe I just didnt watch enough, or maybe Spriggs detractors are allowing Spriggs' struggles last year cloud their judgement.
I don't think many people actually watched him, they just watched to see if the QB had to run or got tackled. He's a whipping boy for a lot of people, the same ones that would have said they wanted to see Murphy more when he looked 10x's worse. Spriggs is not a starter, and guess what? he's not starting. He's probably as good as more than a handful of starting tackles in this league and he's our back up. Good Tackles aren't everywhere and easy to find.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers would lack a decent starter at right tackle if they trade Bulaga.
If Spriggs were at least competent, shipping off Beluga to a team desperate for OL may return a bounty.

If he's not, ship him out for a decent player and bank on McCray, Lang, Bell being able to cover for OT openings.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Didn't the Seahawks turn down a 2nd round pick for Thomas? Do people think their price will come down now that it's obvious that they suck? If it does, why wouldn't Dallas acquire him?

I'd be good with flipping a day two pick for him and giving him a 2 year extension. But I'm not sure that would work.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if the safety situation doesn't improve you may be able to argue it is a bigger need.

If the corners mature well enough Id go with pass rush. Good corners can cover up questionable safety play, but even good corners can't cover forever.

D

Deleted member 6794

Spriggs didn't play vs. a lot of starters during the preseason. As long as he doesn't prove capable of performing at a decent level during a regular season game I won't feel confident with him being on the field.

Spriggs is not a starter, and guess what? he's not starting. He's probably as good as more than a handful of starting tackles in this league and he's our back up. Good Tackles aren't everywhere and easy to find.

It' true that it's tough to find decent backup tackles but I definitely disagree with Spriggs being as good as some starters in the league.

If Spriggs were at least competent, shipping off Beluga to a team desperate for OL may return a bounty.

If he's not, ship him out for a decent player and bank on McCray, Lang, Bell being able to cover for OT openings.

Why should another team be interested in trading for Spriggs if he's not competent???

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs didn't play vs. a lot of starters during the preseason. As long as he doesn't prove capable of performing at a decent level during a regular season game I won't feel confident with him being on the field.
Yes he did play a few series against starters. All we can go on is the evidence before us. He was always quick with great feet. Near elite in that area. He was good with technique. He needed to work on his strength and understanding/!vision. This preseason he played with more power and feel for the game.

It's back to looking at team results in preseason for assessing individuals. If you want to know if Spriggs can play you actually have to watch him play and assess his skills and performance. That's all we have to go on at this point and definitely has improved. He is likely ahead of some starters in this league.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you want to know if Spriggs can play you actually have to watch him play and assess his skills and performance. That's all we have to go on at this point and definitely has improved. He is likely ahead of some starters in this league.

I have watched Spriggs play in the regular season over the past two seasons and he struggled mightily. Therefore I vehemently disagree that he's better than any starter in the league, him performing at a decent level during the preseason doesn't change that a bit.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the only thing he struggled with was strength, and because of that he had to overcommit to a position or he'd lose his leverage and lose. Even when he "sucked" he was mostly at least good enough. But some guys were able to set him up outside and he'd have to overcommit to it and they could beat him back inside. It looked terrible when it happened, but it was what made him look bad and look probably worse than he was. Because other than that, he didn't lose many snaps. Even last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the only thing he struggled with was strength, and because of that he had to overcommit to a position or he'd lose his leverage and lose. Even when he "sucked" he was mostly at least good enough. But some guys were able to set him up outside and he'd have to overcommit to it and they could beat him back inside. It looked terrible when it happened, but it was what made him look bad and look probably worse than he was. Because other than that, he didn't lose many snaps. Even last year.

FWIW Spriggs didn't have a PFF grade of over 50 during both of his seasons so far and is one of the team's worst draft picks according to them using wins above replacement as a metric from 2013-17.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's fine, I know what I saw when I watched him. and this year when he was doing a decent job out there at his position and Murphy was getting beaten like a drum on every snap, you'd think they swapped jerseys by listening to people talk.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have watched Spriggs play in the regular season over the past two seasons and he struggled mightily. Therefore I vehemently disagree that he's better than any starter in the league, him performing at a decent level during the preseason doesn't change that a bit.
Have you watched every starter in the NFL?

Can a player improve?

If your answer is no and yes to the above questions, how can you 'vehemently' state an opinion on the matter?

D

Deleted member 6794

Have you watched every starter in the NFL?

Can a player improve?

If your answer is no and yes to the above questions, how can you 'vehemently' state an opinion on the matter?

Once again, because Spriggs has already played 518 snaps over the past two seasons and struggled for most of them. Of course it's possible that he will improve but as long as he doesn't perform at a decent level in the regular season I will remain skeptical.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's fine, I know what I saw when I watched him. and this year when he was doing a decent job out there at his position and Murphy was getting beaten like a drum on every snap, you'd think they swapped jerseys by listening to people talk.

There's no doubt Spriggs performed significantly better than Murphy during the preseason this year.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course it's possible that he will improve but as long as he doesn't perform at a decent level in the regular season I will remain skeptical.
You really need to make this your signature. It sums up all of your player evaluations, no matter who it is.

D

Deleted member 6794

You really need to make this your signature. It sums up all of your player evaluations, no matter who it is.

I'm sorry that it seems to annoy you that I don't wear green and gold glasses and therefore refuse to believe that every player on the roster will turn into an All-Pro. Using hindsight it has been a pretty smart approach so far ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.