Earl Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When was the last time the pack got a seattle safety....Eugene Robinson. Worked out pretty well - this guy has got all the tools needed for AR to get a shot at 2 additional rings, but it is truly a financial pitfall to say the least.

D

Deleted member 6794

You missed my point. C-D is vested. Even If his salary is not guaranteed now it will be by opening day. I don't see how it being fully guaranteed now makes much difference.

Well, it makes a huge difference when discussing about the possibility of trading for Thomas before the start of this season as the Packers could release Clinton-Dix without any ramifications on the cap if he was a vested veteran only. With his salary being fully guaranteed since the Packers exercised the fifth year option on him the team doesn't have that option though.

Vaccaro's a bust and a SS to boot. Boston may be getting the Kaepernick / Reid blackball treatment. But most of all, I wasn't being all that serious.

You're right about Vaccaro but it's stunning that Boston is still a free agent. Maybe the Packers should take a look at him.

**** long term..... It's time we looked at 1-3 years and shot for the SB. We need this.

I'd say go all out. If needed, I'm happy to trade Matthews for him. He's younger and will have better impact.

The Packers can't afford to trade for Thomas on a short-term contract without having to get rid of a veteran saving them significant cap space.

I'm absolutely convinced the Seahawks wouldn't be interested in acquiring Matthews in return at his current price tag. In addition the Packers can't afford to part ways with him as the team lacks quality depth at outside linebacker.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, it makes a huge difference when discussing about the possibility of trading for Thomas before the start of this season as the Packers could release Clinton-Dix without any ramifications on the cap if he was a vested veteran only. With his salary being fully guaranteed since the Packers exercised the fifth year option on him the team doesn't have that option though.
I was casually proposing trading Clinton-Dix, not cutting him. Clearly, absorbing both C-D's $6 mil and whatever Thomas' cap hit would be is out of the question.

H

HardRightEdge

...it's stunning that Boston is still a free agent.
With a couple of possible exception, such as Jerry Jones who took a knee with his players, NFL ownership is a conservative bunch and looks dimly on activists fearing further alienation of a large segment of the fan base with TV ratings down for the second consecutive season.

The owners tried to keep activism off the sidelines, now up in the air with the NFLPA weighing in. While there may be other contributing factors for viewership decline, as with MLB attendance, such as sports media oversaturation or following the goings and doings of the POTUS as a new hobby, activism is perceived as a factor.

It's hard to account for Carolina releasing Boston before a dirt cheap 4th. year on a 4th. rounder's rookie deal, even as a backup, except for his activism.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article209111609.html

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/panther-tracks/article104608791.html

Liberal LA took a chance on a cheap one year deal that conservative Carolina would not tolerate. Why not re-sign him?

Was he proselytizing in the Chargers locker room? Has he refused to keep it to himself in contract discussions with the Chargers or others? Has he refused to take a sharp discount in view of his perceived risk?

Those questions, I believe, go to the heart of the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I was casually proposing trading Clinton-Dix, not cutting him. Clearly, absorbing both C-D's $6 mil and whatever Thomas' cap hit would be is out of the question.

I was solely responding to your false claim that it wouldn't make a difference if Clinton-Dix was just a vested veteran instead of his fifth-year option being picked up by the Packers.

I understand that you're well aware of the fact the team can't release HHCD at this point.

H

HardRightEdge

I was solely responding to your false claim that it wouldn't make a difference if Clinton-Dix was just a vested veteran instead of his fifth-year option being picked up by the Packers
Maybe that's because you didn't notice I was talking about a trade.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe that's because you didn't notice I was talking about a trade.

Well, the problem being that I don't believe any other team is interested in trading for Clinton-Dix, extremely limiting the Packers' chances of acquiring Thomas because HHCD's salary is already fully guaranteed at this point.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
**** long term..... It's time we looked at 1-3 years and shot for the SB. We need this.

I'd say go all out. If needed, I'm happy to trade Matthews for him. He's younger and will have better impact.

Absolutely no way you can trade Matthews off this defense. He's gonna be a 10 sack guy under pettine. Now trading Clinton Dix for whatever you can get and then trading a first for Thomas would be a great move. The team would finally find their replacement for Nick Collins. The thing about Dix is he seems to be a bit of a malcontent. And although I expect him to have a bounce back season under pettine in a contract year I would not be in favor of paying him as an elite playmaking safety which is what he's gonna demand. If the Packers have the chance to pay Earl Thomas instead of Dix that's a no brainer. Also as for giving up the first that to is a no brainer as the chance of drafting a future hall of famer at the end of the first round seems a bit like winning the lottery

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the problem being that I don't believe any other team is interested in trading for Clinton-Dix, extremely limiting the Packers' chances of acquiring Thomas because HHCD's salary is already fully guaranteed at this point.

I think a team would trade for him but I don't think the Packers would get much in return maybe a 4th round pick at the highest but probably more likely a 5th or 6th. But in my opinion if you get Thomas that's worth it

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tre Boston is a player I really liked coming out of north Carolina and I'd be in favor of the Packers signing him I really don't understand how he's still on the market they're must be something going on behind the scenes. And for that matter I like Eric Reid too but Im guessing he isn't willing to play for Morgan Burnett money and I doubt gute would pay more than that

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would I want him? Sure. Could we use him? Sure. Will he be worth the price is the question. I say no.

When your generational HOF QB is almost 35, you do whatever it takes to win a SB. I'd rather they overpay Thomas, and potentially face a cap crunch, if it improves their SB hopes. The clock is ticking on this franchise.

H

HardRightEdge

When your generational HOF QB is almost 35, you do whatever it takes to win a SB. I'd rather they overpay Thomas, and potentially face a cap crunch, if it improves their SB hopes. The clock is ticking on this franchise.
This team is not Super Bowl caliber with or without Thomas. What you should be looking for is an inordinate number of young players rising and starring, then stack that with another good draft next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now trading Clinton Dix for whatever you can get and then trading a first for Thomas would be a great move. The thing about Dix is he seems to be a bit of a malcontent. And although I expect him to have a bounce back season under pettine in a contract year I would not be in favor of paying him as an elite playmaking safety which is what he's gonna demand. If the Packers have the chance to pay Earl Thomas instead of Dix that's a no brainer. Also as for giving up the first that to is a no brainer as the chance of drafting a future hall of famer at the end of the first round seems a bit like winning the lottery

While Thomas would definitely be a significant upgrade over Clinton-Dix at this point you have to consider that he's already 29 years old when thinking about what to give up for him.

I agree that there's no way the Packers should pay HHCD elite money but it might be smart to offer him a reasonable long-term deal if he excels with Pettine coordinating the defense.

I think a team would trade for him but I don't think the Packers would get much in return maybe a 4th round pick at the highest but probably more likely a 5th or 6th. But in my opinion if you get Thomas that's worth it

I highly doubt another team would be interested in giving up a draft pick for Clinton-Dix and pay him $6 million after he struggled last season.

And for that matter I like Eric Reid too but Im guessing he isn't willing to play for Morgan Burnett money and I doubt gute would pay more than that

No team is going to sign Reid after he filed a grievance against the league this spring.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers repeated this week that he plans to play until 40. While I want the Packers front office to be aggressive there's no reason to go all-in this season.

This team is not Super Bowl caliber with or without Thomas.

The Packers acquiring Thomas would definitely improve their chances of winning the Super Bowl in 2018.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas is a stud. The Seattle defense fell apart every time he gets hurt... cam gets hurt? OK. Sherman gets hurt? OK... Thomas gets hurt? The whole defense looks weak...

He would be a great motivator and director for the secondary... great.

I'd cut Cobb to bring him in. I think Cobb could be replaced. Mathews doesn't have much proven olbs behind him

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd cut Cobb to bring him in. I think Cobb could be replaced. Mathews doesn't have much proven olbs behind him

The Packers can't afford to cut Cobb either as the team lacks any proven wide receiver on the roster aside of him and Adams.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No question Thomas is a talented safety. He is also in the process of building a great deal of animosity in Seattle:

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/49483...sforms-to-object-of-scorn-for-seahawks-fans/?

Whoever lands him gets a guy who can play, and also a guy who brings a lot of drama. A GM has to weigh the good and the bad, and evaluate how this might affect the locker room.

Of course, fans have no such burden. If the GM brings in a player and it doesn't work guy, fans simply blame the GM.

Which perhaps explains why Thomas, for now at least, remains a Seahawk. A disgruntled Seahawk.

D

Deleted member 6794

No question Thomas is a talented safety. He is also in the process of building a great deal of animosity in Seattle:

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/49483...sforms-to-object-of-scorn-for-seahawks-fans/?

Whoever lands him gets a guy who can play, and also a guy who brings a lot of drama. A GM has to weigh the good and the bad, and evaluate how this might affect the locker room.

Of course, fans have no such burden. If the GM brings in a player and it doesn't work guy, fans simply blame the GM.

Which perhaps explains why Thomas, for now at least, remains a Seahawk. A disgruntled Seahawk.

It seems Thomas was a consumate pro during his eight seasons in Seattle before threatening to hold out and later asking to be traded this offseason. I guess that might make it risky trading for him but in my opinion he wouldn't bring any drama if signed to an extension.

Of course the biggest obstacle is to structre it in a reasonable way.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah there's no way Thomas would be a problem in the locker room in fact he'd be a leader to all the young dbs dare I say a lot like charles woodson was. Getting Thomas would be the same as getting woodson was, a total game changer for the defense

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not think he'd be a distraction or locker room problem either. Like most things, it's a money thing. Sure he could help this team all the way around. From locker room presence to on the field play, but he's going to be on the downhill side of his career very soon, if he isn't already. The body doesn't sustain itself like a Julius Peppers very often. There will be a point when it starts to break down and I don't want to be on the hook for big money when it does. We are already dealing with that with other big contract guys. If they can find a way to make it work, i'm for it, but I don't want to push big money out 3 years or 5 years when I see the chances are much higher that hurts us than helps us.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah there's no way Thomas would be a problem in the locker room in fact he'd be a leader to all the young dbs dare I say a lot like charles woodson was. Getting Thomas would be the same as getting woodson was, a total game changer for the defense

A team acquiring Thomas has to consider that he's already 29 years old. There haven't been a lot of free safeties on the wrong side of 30 still performing at an elite level. He might be one of the exceptions but playing a different position than Woodson I don't want the Packers to take a huge risk by trading for and signing him to a lucrative long-term contract.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Second thought... too expensive. He would be nice, for sure... but if I was shopping for parts. I'd go for something cheaper, and needed more.

What's Vince Wilfork doing?

Lol jk

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are still rumours that Seahawks might be willing to trade him.

I don't think Clay's contract will be as big (if he gets one at all) next year so we can replace him with Earl.

And a 2 or 3 year contract (less guaranteed and more performance) to Earl might be worth the while. We can give them Whitehead or a late round pick in addition to the 2nd round pick Cowboys are already offering.

I reckon we'll not pay for a edge rusher and will pick in drafts next year. With 2 first round picks, we can afford to trade our 2nd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts