Duds vs Jets

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That tells me the other options are struggling in practice with right side duties. No way to know if some are coming around or not unless they show up as a starter this Sunday.
I just don't have faith that our coaches are choosing players and positions correctly no matter what they see at practice. I base this on the past two years in the playoffs and when it was really important, they put players where they should not have been on the O line, and when it did not work; the coaches still did not make changes.

D

Deleted member 6794

We really don't know what our o-line capabilities are for RG or RT. No one has ever played NFL snaps on the right side other than Newman and Jenkins to my knowledge. That tells me the other options are struggling in practice with right side duties. No way to know if some are coming around or not unless they show up as a starter this Sunday.

It seems the Packers have an abundance of offensive linemen who excel playing on the left side of the line. Unfortunately they lack players who are best suited to line up on the right side though. Maybe that's why they claimed Tenuta off waivers this week.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the scientific definition of a vacuum?
Answer: The Minnesota Vikings trophy case!!!!
They must be feeling like we did the last few years again. No matter how good that team looks they find a way to blow it. They had a shot at 2 seed and even 1 seed. Will the Lions take control of the division next year? They went 5-1 in the North.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say....Seeing Kirk throw a 3-yard checkdown on 4th and 8 with the game on the line was about as bad as watching our defense play a 10 yard cushion when Detroit needed 3 yards to ice the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have to say....Seeing Kirk throw a 3-yard checkdown on 4th and 8 with the game on the line was about as bad as watching our defense play a 10 yard cushion when Detroit needed 3 yards to ice the game.
Or as bad as watching Favre and Rodgers throw up season ending long prayers, when they didn't need.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
my whole thing was giants and jets could be really good
You’re right they are much improved, I wish could have been better at predicting the Packers, OH! I owe you one for the food, I have to figure out how to post pics, I keep getting message “server will not allow content”

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was as happy any they lost, but again, people need to watch the game. There was a 300+lb'er about to sit himself if Kirk Cousin's lap. 2 guys deeper on his left were covered, completely and were nowhere near breaking open before that ball was thrown. He had a RB about 5-7 yards behind the LOS to his left and a semi open TE with 1 guy to beat. He had no time left, and seemingly 1 decent option. Sometimes Hockenson breaks those tackles and it's a 1st down. SOmetimes not, but you can't tell me he had any other better option and 3 that were worse and no time left.

on the flip side, you have some that will blast cousins for throwing too short and then blast Rodgers for pretty much the same situation except it was a blitzing linebacker right up the gut that sped up the clock and very limited options. So he throws it up for his speedster to hopefully make a play. and he's wrong. Should have thrown it shorter to someone more covered in the face o the blitz I guess? I know the the old adage, just win baby. But not every Qb has AJ Brown that routinely catches thrown up balls into double and triple coverage like it's routine.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was as happy any they lost, but again, people need to watch the game. There was a 300+lb'er about to sit himself if Kirk Cousin's lap. 2 guys deeper on his left were covered, completely and were nowhere near breaking open before that ball was thrown. He had a RB about 5-7 yards behind the LOS to his left and a semi open TE with 1 guy to beat. He had no time left, and seemingly 1 decent option. Sometimes Hockenson breaks those tackles and it's a 1st down. SOmetimes not, but you can't tell me he had any other better option and 3 that were worse and no time left.

on the flip side, you have some that will blast cousins for throwing too short and then blast Rodgers for pretty much the same situation except it was a blitzing linebacker right up the gut that sped up the clock and very limited options. So he throws it up for his speedster to hopefully make a play. and he's wrong. Should have thrown it shorter to someone more covered in the face o the blitz I guess? I know the the old adage, just win baby. But not every Qb has AJ Brown that routinely catches thrown up balls into double and triple coverage like it's routine.
Rodgers should have seen that the Lions were unloading the house. And his receivers should have seen it also and modified their routes for a quick pass. If it came up short we still have 4th down. Jordy Nelson used to adjust all the time. Jevon Walker did it when Favre was his QB. And Carroll Dale did it with Bart Starr.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers should have seen that the Lions were unloading the house. And his receivers should have seen it also and modified their routes for a quick pass. If it came up short we still have 4th down. Jordy Nelson used to adjust all the time. Jevon Walker did it when Favre was his QB. And Carroll Dale did it with Bart Starr.

Just take a lot at the last two plays of the drive that ended with Rodgers throwing an interception. On second down Tom got beat badly forcing an incompletion. On the interception the Packers had enough blockers to take on the pass rushers but Dillon ended up not blocking anyone resulting in Anzalone having a free shot at Rodgers.

Of course there will still be fans who solely blame the quarterback for not completing a pass in those situations.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just take a lot at the last two plays of the drive that ended with Rodgers throwing an interception. On second down Tom got beat badly forcing an incompletion. On the interception the Packers had enough blockers to take on the pass rushers but Dillon ended up not blocking anyone resulting in Anzalone having a free shot at Rodgers.

Of course there will still be fans who solely blame the quarterback for not completing a pass in those situations.
Defenses are going to beat some of your blockers at times and even many a time. Sometimes they even do it with just 4. But even with the blockers a fly pattern is low percentage especially with a high safety playing over the top. Even Randy Moss would have had a hard time with that coverage. That is why you take what the defense may give you. A checkoff at the line and that middle zone is there to gain something. For the great QBs it is a no brainer.. Now if you have receivers that cannot figure some of that out then get someone who can. Think of that long shot to Adams in double coverage against the 9ers on 3rd down. It was low %.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Defenses are going to beat some of your blockers at times and even many a time. Sometimes they even do it with just 4. But even with the blockers a fly pattern is low percentage especially with a high safety playing over the top. Even Randy Moss would have had a hard time with that coverage. That is why you take what the defense may give you. A checkoff at the line and that middle zone is there to gain something. For the great QBs it is a no brainer.. Now if you have receivers that cannot figure some of that out then get someone who can. Think of that long shot to Adams in double coverage against the 9ers on 3rd down. It was low %.
Agreed. I would rather see a higher rate of completion short pass, with the hopes that the receiver can pick up YAC to get a first down, then to throw deep Hail Mary's into double coverage. Maybe all those Hail Mary's that Rodgers completed in the first half of his career has tainted his memory into thinking that they are easier than they look?

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had the blockers, go back and watch the play. Dillon moved to the left and blocked nobody at all and the linebacker came right thru the gap between Meyers and the RG and was ready to Rock Rodgers as soon as he was throwing. why change the play? How do you know Watson wasn't just to take safety out of there and 2 guys working deeper from left to right weren't the intended targets of the play? They should have been able to block it, they should not have had to change anything. It was 3rd and 10.

Even if he could have stepped in and drove the ball more, it could have been completed rather than his altered motion knowing he was getting blown up leaving the ball hang a bit again and Joseph was able to get over there.

And yes, Cousins should throw it deeper, Rodgers should throw it shorter. But who was shorter in a pattern? Tonyan 4 yards behind the LOS? I wouldn't bet on him gaining 14 yards after the catch if you spotted him 13.5 yards head start.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts