DT Colin Cole placed on IR, S Marviel Underwood re-signed

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colin Cole placed on IR, sign Marviel Underwood

I was putting this post together when you beat me to the submit:

JSOnline reports:

Safety Marviel Underwood is back. Cut in training camp this year after trying to come back from ACL surgery, Underwood was back on the field. While it's not known whether he was signed to the practice squad or active roster, it appeared that he's on the active roster because he got reps with the starting special teams units here and there. Underwood's signing may be an indication that Aaron Rouse's knee injury is worse than has been let on.

WOW! I sure didn't see this coming.

Good for Marviel, and yes, Colin Cole was placed on the IR this afternoon.

Also, safety Aaron Rouse said he was "fine" despite not doing anything at practice. Not sure if I believe him. We'll see on Monday...

If Underwood is fully recovered (which I assume he is or we wouldn't see this move) he adds talent and experience to a position we are young and banged up at.

Healthy, he is an immediate upgrade from Charlie Peprah, who is a great special teams player.

In other news:

Collins completed practice with the starters on Sunday. Bubba Franks and Will Blackmon practiced and looked back as well.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: DT Colin Cole placed on IR, S Marviel Underwood re-signe

Thanks all for the updates!
I REALLY hope Woodson can play. He seems like a tough dude that will show up on game day.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
charles woodson was at the bucks game last night all smiles......id be surprised if he wasnt out there on thursday

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
charles woodson was at the bucks game last night all smiles......id be surprised if he wasnt out there on thursday

I would've much rather heard that he was at practice on Sunday instead of at a Bucks game on Saturday night, even if he was all smiles. But I do think he will find a way to play, even if it means taking a painkilling injection before the game.

Reaction score
Greg, if I'm not mistaken hasn't Woodson (along with some other players including Al and Clifton) usually been given Wednesday off?

Today would of been a Wednesday in a normal week....

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Greg, if I'm not mistaken hasn't Woodson (along with some other players including Al and Clifton) been given Wednesday off?

Today would of been a Wednesday in a normal week....

You could be right. So maybe his non-attendance at today's practice means nothing. There have been times when he's missed almost every practice during the week anyway, and then he played in the game.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You didn't see it coming? I sure did. Thompson prefers familiarity. I bet if Manuel were available, he'd be the one signed.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

You didn't see it coming? I sure did. Thompson prefers familiarity. I bet if Manuel were available, he'd be the one signed.

No.

Marviel would have been signed over Manuel. Dig up the article where Woodson and Harris lost trust in Manuel.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Danreb said:

No.

Marviel would have been signed over Manuel. Dig up the article where Woodson and Harris lost trust in Manuel.

BINGO!!!!

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Underwood was a promising young player who was unfortunately injured and let go to make room for the other talented safeties on our team. I'm happy to see him back.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
How much does not having Colin Cole affect our D-line rotation?

Being that he was only active a few games this year.. and Harrell actually was active before him... Not a crushing blow.

Actually.. this might be a bit of a blessing.. being it is Cole's last year if his contract.. maybe he will resign on the cheap next year.. because Williams isn't going to come cheap.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Colin Cole placed on IR, sign Marviel Underwood

If Underwood is fully recovered (which I assume he is or we wouldn't see this move) he adds talent and experience to a position we are young and banged up at.

Not tryin' to grill you... but... The guys played one full season (and saw little time as a back up) his rookie year. He was hurt all last year. He should know our defense from the two and a half seasons he was here, but the guy really doesn't have much on field experience.

I am so happy he's back, though. I was praying for this guy to replace Manuel, since he outplayed him in training camp last season. His early release last offseason made me believe his career was prematurely ended due to his injury. Hope he's back to 100% because our safeties are banged up.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Colin Cole placed on IR, sign Marviel Underwood

Bruce said:

Not tryin' to grill you... but... The guys played one full season (and saw little time as a back up) his rookie year. He was hurt all last year. He should know our defense from the two and a half seasons he was here, but the guy really doesn't have much on field experience.

I am so happy he's back, though. I was praying for this guy to replace Manuel, since he outplayed him in training camp last season. His early release last offseason made me believe his career was prematurely ended due to his injury. Hope he's back to 100% because our safeties are banged up.

Yes. Having both Rouse and Collins hurt scares me. We'll need to look at getting some depth in our safeties position in the off-season.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so would Atari Bigby, or Ryan Grant..

what about Jarrett Bush?

I guess good players just don't play for Green Bay.

Reaction score

If Underwood was any good, he'd been playing somewhere else

Much like Tramon Williams?

KGB94, given our circumstances (meaning the S we signed was just an injury away from potentially getting a lot of reps) we needed someone familiar with our D scheme and defensive plays. We couldn't afford to have wait 3-4 weeks while any S we brought in learned our system.

From that end, Underwood was as good a choice as any. It isn't as if Underwood never flashed any potential, he did before he injured himself last season. So he does have some potential.

Members online

Latest posts