Don't go jumping off the bridge

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were awful today. The guard situation was just as we all thought it would be. It is not a cohesive unit, but it still could be. The defense gave up 17 points, but only 10 through 3 quarters. Here is the problem. You have a former GM who is now the coach who is seriously faced with the team that he basically drafted. The players that he chose aren't very good, but mabye they can get better with good coaching. The real pressure isn't on the players, it's on the coaching staff.

Here are a couple of questions. Why was Carroll starting and why was he still playing after 3 penalties and even more, why after four. What has this team been working on for the past month? No team can win with 14 penalties. That's not lack of talent, that's lack of coaching and lack of expectations. And finally, other than the two guards, this is an offense that can work, why isn't it? Isn't that what preseason is for, to prepare for the season? How can this offense only score 3 points? Who is responsible for that?

As far as I am concerned everything starts at the top. Harlan and Thompson had better have expectations of winning. Coach Sherman shouldn't be surprised at all at what he saw today because just like last year, it's what he saw all training camp.

And finally, it looks like we've lost Walker for the season. Now we get to see what Thompson knows because his kids are going to have to play. Bring on Murphy, Collins, Montgomry, Popinga, Underwood etc. Lets see if these kids can play. Unfortunately for Thompson his draft is going to be judged earlier than it should.

It could be fun to see it all develop. And remeber, a team that was expected to win the Superbowl got whooped on their turf by a team that is supposed to be second rate.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ted thompson finally got rid of Hunt, shermans boy...hopefully it is only a matter of time before the carroll experiment is deemed a failure and aborted. Trade him...bench him...cut him....something.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
The guard situation was just as we all thought it would be. It is not a cohesive unit
No, they were as bad as I thought they would be. Everyone else said that they would be fine.

Here is the problem. You have a former GM who is now the coach who is seriously faced with the team that he basically drafted. The players that he chose aren't very good, but mabye they can get better with good coaching.
I said all along that they do not have the players and the coach can not make plays for them on the field.

Why was Carroll starting and why was he still playing after 3 penalties and even more, why after four.
Lack of depth in just about every area of this team.

No team can win with 14 penalties. That's not lack of talent, that's lack of coaching and lack of expectations.
Actually it is a combonation of the both. First you say these players "aren't very good, but mabye they can get better with good coaching" then you say "That's not lack of talent, that's lack of coaching" Which is it?

And finally, other than the two guards, this is an offense that can work, why isn't it? Isn't that what preseason is for, to prepare for the season? How can this offense only score 3 points? Who is responsible for that
Because Favre can no longer carry this team by himself and the defense can not pick up the slack if the offense does not score in bunches.

I made all of these points many times here. Am I still just trolling? :wall:

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
We were awful today. The guard situation was just as we all thought it would be. It is not a cohesive unit, but it still could be. The defense gave up 17 points, but only 10 through 3 quarters. Here is the problem. You have a former GM who is now the coach who is seriously faced with the team that he basically drafted. The players that he chose aren't very good, but mabye they can get better with good coaching. The real pressure isn't on the players, it's on the coaching staff.

Here are a couple of questions. Why was Carroll starting and why was he still playing after 3 penalties and even more, why after four. What has this team been working on for the past month? No team can win with 14 penalties. That's not lack of talent, that's lack of coaching and lack of expectations. And finally, other than the two guards, this is an offense that can work, why isn't it? Isn't that what preseason is for, to prepare for the season? How can this offense only score 3 points? Who is responsible for that?

As far as I am concerned everything starts at the top. Harlan and Thompson had better have expectations of winning. Coach Sherman shouldn't be surprised at all at what he saw today because just like last year, it's what he saw all training camp.

And finally, it looks like we've lost Walker for the season. Now we get to see what Thompson knows because his kids are going to have to play. Bring on Murphy, Collins, Montgomry, Popinga, Underwood etc. Lets see if these kids can play. Unfortunately for Thompson his draft is going to be judged earlier than it should.

It could be fun to see it all develop. And remeber, a team that was expected to win the Superbowl got whooped on their turf by a team that is supposed to be second rate.

sweet, a losing, walker-less season AND we have sherman for a two year contract extension, i'm really happy to be alive right now

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
Sweet, a losing, walker-less season AND we have sherman for a two year contract extension, i'm really happy to be alive right now
Everyone said that the Packers did not need Walker this season anyway. Remember?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
JavonWalker084 said:
Sweet, a losing, walker-less season AND we have sherman for a two year contract extension, i'm really happy to be alive right now
Everyone said that the Packers did not need Walker this season anyway. Remember?

that 'everyone' did not include me...i said from the start of the holdout, get his @$$ back here, a moot point now but...

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
Philtration said:
JavonWalker084 said:

that 'everyone' did not include me...i said from the start of the holdout, get his @$$ back here, a moot point now but...
True. You were one of the few who did not try to castrate this guy a few weeks ago. The same with Grady Jackson and Bubba Franks. Everyone ran them through the ringer and wanted them gone until they got on board and then it was

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings' loss started the day showing that their offense couldn't score a touchdown without Moss. Despite all the preseason hype, the Vikings aren't a lock for the division title yet. Hopefully the loss of Moss continues to slow down the Viking offense. That was one reason not to jump off the bridge yet.

I later felt good that the Packer defense played better than I expected considering we were without Diggs, and played Thomas instead who just arrived this week. They were aggresive and swarming to the ball better than I seen. The early returns on Bates defense were promising, but Harrington helped too. We'll have to see if Bates can continue the good performances, (minus Carroll's penalties) against teams with a better offense, but today he gave us a reason to hope for a defense which is Green but growing. So I felt good about the potential the defense displayed.

The Walker injury though made the loss to Detroit a lot tougher to take. The Packers were still able to win games a few years ago when Walker was struggling to become a receiver, so they might be able to go on OK without him. But I think it's going to be harder now because Walker draws so much attention away from Driver.

I won't be jumping off any bridges or off the Packer bandwagon, but the injury to Walker sure is a tough way to start the season :(

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually it is a combonation of the both. First you say these players "aren't very good, but mabye they can get better with good coaching" then you say "That's not lack of talent, that's lack of coaching" Which is it?

What I meant by that is that we haven't drafted great talent, but I'm hoping the coaching can make these players better. The team simply looked unprepared to play this first game, and that part is coaching. I think Mike Sherman's MO is that he doesn't movitvate. Penalties to me simply mean sloppy practices. If you do it in practice you do it in gmes. All of these problems have to be fixed in practice. For gosh sakes, how can you not be ready to play the first NFL game of the season?

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
JavonWalker084 said:

Knock it off Phil. We don't need your lame-duck "I told you" so antics right now.
The problem with this team is the coaching staff. They cruise controlled through the pre-season and it showed yesterday as this team was not prepared to play football. In the NFL the players can't just be expected to make plays when the coaches don't put them in the position to do so.
This loss sits squarely on the shoulders of Mike Sherman.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Minneapolis radio station is stating that the Vikings are the upcoming SuperBowl Champs. That was about an hour ago. Now, that is what I call positive thinking--especially after yesterday!!!!! : : : :roll: :roll: :roll:

Members online

Latest posts