Donnel Washington cut

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 8511.shtml

The Green Bay Packers released defensive lineman Donnell Washington, coach Mike McCarthy announced Friday following the team’s practice.

Washington (6-6, 328) was a third-round draft pick of the Packers in 2004. He was held out of the Packers’ first mandatory minicamp in early May because he was out of shape.

McCarthy on Friday said the team wanted to move in another direction.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and Washington wanted to move in another direction...towards Dairy Queen.

good job Packers!

good info, hoos.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw this coming. He was really promising when he was 1st drafted as well. High hopes for him and he emerged as nothing.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take two things from this.

1.) Washington wasn't working to get in shape.
2.) Our other DT's have impressed enough to allow this cut.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just happened soonerthan later. The guy never contributed a thing to the Packers. Why risk injury and his year's salary on IR?

With his Wonderlic score he won't be able to follow Truluck to Canada.

He was just another gem from Clemson.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:( Too bad! He never made the effort to be what they thought he could be. Best to cut the losses as quickly as they can. Wonder who'll be the next MM candidate for unemployment due to failure to live up to expectations or not being in shape?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2004 draft

1) Ahmad Carroll
3a) Joey Thomas
3b) Donnell Washington
3C) BJ Sander

2005 - 2006 Harlan excuses Sherman from his GM duties. Is this debate finally over? I still have some hope for Carroll, but the rest leave me angry.

My brother uses a term for a guy like Washington - oxygen thief - because some poor tree is working too hard to provide him air. I hope the stick his *** on a Greyhound instead of a plane.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ouch, Dakota T!!

The best player of that draft is probably Scott Wells who was fourth to the last pick overall. The only reason the Packers got him is because Sheman was not permitted to trade a compensatory pick.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oxygen thief and greyhound...Great stuff. But Donnell showed a lot of promise...I don't question why Sherman went after him...he really should have panned out but it just turned out he was lazy and didn't give a *****.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another kid with a great future ahead of him that he chose to pizz away. Some day he will GREATLY regret his one shot at the big time, that he chose to eat away!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
My brother uses a term for a guy like Washington - oxygen thief - because some poor tree is working too hard to provide him air. I hope the stick his *** on a Greyhound instead of a plane.

Wow, man, these are real people we are talking about. I'm sure you've messed up at your job before. You make it seem like he should be shot for his under performance.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Sherman will try to talk the Texans into bringing Washington to Houston. What a joke.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's called venting rabidgopher. What else are you suppose to do when a day one pick never dresses for your team?

He is an exceptional human being with all the talent to become a pro bowler. He chose the low road. I was harsh, but should we hold his hand in training camp again so he can go on IR later. Cletidus Hunt ruined me for guys like this. Get rid of them all.

He doesn't need to be shot, the Greyhound trip home will suffice!

Sorry my words offended you!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
DakotaT said:

Wow, man, these are real people we are talking about. I'm sure you've messed up at your job before. You make it seem like he should be shot for his under performance.

Everyone has messed up at some time. Washington (and Hunt) got chance after chance to "grab the gold ring", and they blew it. I think most of us DREAM of getting the chance to play for the Packers, and to see these mental midgets, who have the WORLD by the tail if they just give SOME effort act like it's no big deal frustrates "average" people like us. They should not be shot, they should be taken into a room and slapped by their Mommys for being such idiots! Work hard for 5 to 10 years, and your family be set for LIFE. And they don't care. They have ALL the physical tools, but NO drive. A waste of talent. If I had that chance, i would have done everything to keep it! I just never had the physical tools.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodbye, time to move on.

What a waste of potential, though he never was able to learn to play low enough to make an impact in the NFL which was the bigger potential killer for him.

This is one of the reasons some teams think Grady Jackson is a cancer. He never works out, is in terrible shape, but because he is a huge man who can stay low and use leverage he can make an impact on the plays that he gives full effort (which is about half the time even as a part time player). Jackson ends up being a terrible influence on younger players. Not only does his inflated ego (much like his belly) set a "it is all about me" attitude, he is terrible role model and "anti-leader" when it comes to practice and getting ready for a game.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
DakotaT said:

Didn't quite get that "he should be shot for his under performance" by Dakota T's post...get a clue rabid. Greyhound takes great pride in the safety of all their passengers I'm sure :)

Washington had plenty of potential coming in during his first year and chose to be lazy and out of shape. The NFL is a harsh business and I guess Mr. Washington just found that out. Better to cut the losses sooner than later.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Washington had a reputation as a slacker even before he was drafted. It was a strange pick right from the beginning. And as soon as I saw him actually take to the field in the preseason last year, I could see that he looked all wrong. He played way too high. He looked like he was playing basketball instead of football.

Members online

Latest posts