Donald Driver

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
When Donald Driver does finally retire who do you see coming up and taking his place?
It's definitely some big shoes to fill but maybe a young Randall Cobb? I personally see A lot of potential with this kid I love his playing style and can't wait to see him more involved in this packer offense!

Reaction score
Randall Cobb is pretty much Donald Driver 2.0.. Stronger, faster, more versatile, and used in the slot just like DD.. I can't wait to see when he is at his full potential!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There won't be another WR like driver, but yeah Cobb will get the work load.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Donald Driver does finally retire who do you see coming up and taking his place?
From a roster perspective, take your pick. From a team perspective, I don't know that the Packers have anyone coming up through the ranks that can fill the leadership role that Driver plays, or fill the role that Driver plays in the media and fan community. He is beloved for much more than his receiving skills. It's part of what makes good players special.

I'm sure that we'll have a receiver in his spot at some point, maybe even this season. Unfortunately it will be some time before we see another personality like Donald's leading the Pack. It's the unique qualities and limited supply that make those players so hard to come by.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Randall Cobb is pretty much Donald Driver 2.0.. Stronger, faster, more versatile, and used in the slot just like DD.. I can't wait to see when he is at his full potential!

I don't know if I would go as far as saying he's DD 2.0 because Driver has some HUGE shoes to fill! he's been in the league for ever and know's what he needs to do and how to do it, I love Randall Cobb and I to am very excited to see what this kid can do but I think he has a few years before he's up to the caliber that DD is and I don't know who can fill the leadership role the Donald has.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
From a roster perspective, take your pick. From a team perspective, I don't know that the Packers have anyone coming up through the ranks that can fill the leadership role that Driver plays, or fill the role that Driver plays in the media and fan community. He is beloved for much more than his receiving skills. It's part of what makes good players special.

I'm sure that we'll have a receiver in his spot at some point, maybe even this season. Unfortunately it will be some time before we see another personality like Donald's leading the Pack. It's the unique qualities and limited supply that make those players so hard to come by.

totally agree man, the leadership that Driver brings is like the of Charles Woodson, they both poor their heart out into the team and I love to see that these days because it doesn't happen a lot, Donald Driver will always have a special place in my heart and it will be a very sad day when he finally goes.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love DD as well but Cobb imo is the better wr at this point. DD can still get seperation tho so don't sleep on the old cat. The fact that he still has young legs at this stage of his career has to be a major reason he was bought back and is rare for a guy his age. I'm predicting 34 receptions and 3 touchdowns for him.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
i love DD as well but Cobb imo is the better wr at this point. DD can still get seperation tho so don't sleep on the old cat. The fact that he still has young legs at this stage of his career has to be a major reason he was bought back and is rare for a guy his age. I'm predicting 34 receptions and 3 touchdowns for him.

I think at this point Cobb is definitely the more explosive receiver but DD will always play smarter because that's just who he is, as for the prediction I think he might just have a few more receptions and maybe one or two more touchdowns.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think at this point Cobb is definitely the more explosive receiver but DD will always play smarter because that's just who he is, as for the prediction I think he might just have a few more receptions and maybe one or two more touchdowns.

lol one could only hope.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I love DD's contribution and dedication to the Packers. But let's not overstate the "shoes" he will leave to be filled since we are not talking about Driver in his prime. Here's how he ranked on the team during the last regular season. He was fifth in: Receptions, yards receiving, yards per reception (of course), and receiving TDs. He was 7th in longest gain. James Jones was better in all of those categories. If Cobb gets the number of touches most of us expect, he will surpass Jones in these categories and Jones will fill the shoes of DD, whom he surpassed last season.

Again, I really appreciate Driver but everything I've read and heard indicates to me that Woodson is much more important regarding locker room leadership than Driver. Rodgers is the leader of the offense.

Reaction score
I don't know if I would go as far as saying he's DD 2.0 because Driver has some HUGE shoes to fill! he's been in the league for ever and know's what he needs to do and how to do it, I love Randall Cobb and I to am very excited to see what this kid can do but I think he has a few years before he's up to the caliber that DD is and I don't know who can fill the leadership role the Donald has.
I never compared DD's leadership skills or what he has done in the league :).. I am just saying potential wise Cobb has what it takes.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
I never compared DD's leadership skills or what he has done in the league :).. I am just saying potential wise Cobb has what it takes.
okay I gotcha, yea I agree I think Cobb has major potential and I'm actually really excited to see him get some playing time because he got me fired up when he got the ball! love the way he plays.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bingo. Cobb is probably more explosive comparatively. But with him at least for me his ball handling has been scary whether it is taking a punt and getting smoked when he should have just fair caught the ball or getting stripped like we saw last week. I know you have to take the good with the bad so take his 108 yd TD return probably shouldn't have came out of the endzone but results are results so I still nudge cobb a bit higher in production this year but mostly because he will impact more than just the offensive side of the ball.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I love Driver's roll on the team. He has to be working with the younger guys like Cobb, Gurley and Borel on a daily basis to get them to tap their potential.

Cobb is going to be a game breaker. Lined up in the slot, he is going to be deadly. Once he gets better at ball security I think Cobb will become one of the better 3 WR's in the league if not the best (assuming Jennings stays).

Cobb is no doubt the one to take over the position Driver left, unless he doesn't fully tap his potential, which I doubt. I think Cobb has the talent to be the real deal. Guy is electrifying.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Bingo. Cobb is probably more explosive comparatively. But with him at least for me his ball handling has been scary whether it is taking a punt and getting smoked when he should have just fair caught the ball or getting stripped like we saw last week. I know you have to take the good with the bad so take his 108 yd TD return probably shouldn't have came out of the endzone but results are results so I still nudge cobb a bit higher in production this year but mostly because he will impact more than just the offensive side of the ball.

couldn't agree more! when he took that kick out from 8 yards deep I was like "what is this idiot doing" lol but then he made it happen, his ball handling is VERY scary every time he gets the ball in his hand I always cringe a little hoping he doesn't fumble, and his decision making with when to call for a fair catch or not definitely needs to improve because it will cost us if he continue's to cough up the ball on simply not calling for a fair catch when he needs to, all in all he has a lot of potential can't wait to see him start maturing and becoming the amazing receiver I know he can be!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no replacing DD, he's more than just a player. But, if anyone could fill the role, I think it's Cobb. He's shown a lot of potential and will almost certainly benefit from DD.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see DD retire after we win the SB & if he wants to come back I say go for it as long as its a WR coach & not as a player

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert Brooks anyone? lol Seriously though, Driver is a very nice option due to putting him in the offense to give others a blow. Got to admit, he is a physical specimen with a lot of savvy. The Packers organization is treating his swan song season well. If the pack gets hot at the end of this season, and Driver is still healthy, he WILL make an impact at some point that could be pivotal due to his veteran moxy. The team won't shy away from that potential.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Robert Brooks anyone? lol Seriously though, Driver is a very nice option due to putting him in the offense to give others a blow. Got to admit, he is a physical specimen with a lot of savvy. The Packers organization is treating his swan song season well. If the pack gets hot at the end of this season, and Driver is still healthy, he WILL make an impact at some point that could be pivotal due to his veteran moxy. The team won't shy away from that potential.

I definitely think that DD still has the big play potential and can bust a big play at any moment! love his experience and his awesome attitude.

Members online

Latest posts