Does DD get his number retired?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgot about Wolf--but every player and coach named are in the HOF. Driver won't likely be a member. And morality isn't a "defined credential" in anything today--the reason we're in the state we're in, imo.

Who would serve judgement? Dare not I.

Should Marino be pulled from the hall bc of an affair?

Should drew brees be not even nominated bc of the sin of greed?

Should brett Favre... I think you know

Should ray Lewis not be nominated bc he plead guilty to obstruction?

What about junior seau for killing himself?

What about someone who wasnt found guilty like OJ? If yes do we rejudge those who have already been judged by their peers?

I don't know who or how you can place a judgement of morality in this situation. I don't want to go to the hall of game to find a shrine of Tim tebow. Seems like he might be the only player who qualifies to some.

M

mayo44

The voters state they only look at one the field, not off the field.

When did all 46 of them say that, because I googled for a quote every way I could and couldn't find anything indicating as such.

The truth is they don't look at only stats. If that was the case, Kramer would have been there decades ago. The selection committee can base their votes on any reasoning they choose. All things being equal, they also look at leadership. They look at on-field conduct. They look at consistency. They look at work ethic. They look at drive. Moss falls well short in many of those aspects.

Out of 46 voters, most of whom are sportswriters, he would need 80% of them to vote YES the first time his name comes up. I don't think it would be difficult to find 9 or more who would vote NO for his first time through, especially with so many deserving players that will have been waiting longer than him. I would bet anything that it takes at least 7 or 8 years for him to get in.

But then again, he's the best receiver to ever play the game. Just ask him.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am willing to bet with all the people who don't think Randy Moss is a first ballot HOF'er. I am serious. We can set an amount and put it in escrow or we don't have to escrow if you are trustworthy. I bet Randy Moss will be first ballot, of course we will have to wait 5 years for the bet to take place (if he retires after this year) but it is a bet i will always be willing to take.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD won't get his number retired nor should he have it retired. One of my all time favorite players though, in any sports for any team.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When did all 46 of them say that, because I googled for a quote every way I could and couldn't find anything indicating as such.

The truth is they don't look at only stats. If that was the case, Kramer would have been there decades ago. The selection committee can base their votes on any reasoning they choose. All things being equal, they also look at leadership. They look at on-field conduct. They look at consistency. They look at work ethic. They look at drive. Moss falls well short in many of those aspects.

Out of 46 voters, most of whom are sportswriters, he would need 80% of them to vote YES the first time his name comes up. I don't think it would be difficult to find 9 or more who would vote NO for his first time through, especially with so many deserving players that will have been waiting longer than him. I would bet anything that it takes at least 7 or 8 years for him to get in.

But then again, he's the best receiver to ever play the game. Just ask him.

Just said it Wednesday when interviewed on inside the nfl. Check it out.

7-8 years? SMH. You are clearly letting personal issues cloud your mind. That's beyond ridiculous.

Most list have him too 3 WR all time.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would serve judgement? Dare not I.

Should Marino be pulled from the hall bc of an affair?

Should drew brees be not even nominated bc of the sin of greed?

Should brett Favre... I think you know

Should ray Lewis not be nominated bc he plead guilty to obstruction?

What about junior seau for killing himself?

What about someone who wasnt found guilty like OJ? If yes do we rejudge those who have already been judged by their peers?

I don't know who or how you can place a judgement of morality in this situation. I don't want to go to the hall of game to find a shrine of Tim tebow. Seems like he might be the only player who qualifies to some.
Last time I checked OJ was in prison, convicted. Comparing Marino and Favre to someone obstructing a murder investigation is specious. But if it's inappropriate to pass judgement, then Bonds, McGuire, Sosa and the rest of the steroid era players should be in the baseball Hall. Had Carruth had a long, productive career he should be considered for the Hall. Basically, anything goes. At least baseball voters are obliged to take morality into consideration "for the good of the game". The NFL should do the same.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last time I checked OJ was in prison, convicted. Comparing Marino and Favre to someone obstructing a murder investigation is specious. But if it's inappropriate to pass judgement, then Bonds, McGuire, Sosa and the rest of the steroid era players should be in the baseball Hall. Had Carruth had a long, productive career he should be considered for the Hall. Basically, anything goes. At least baseball voters are obliged to take morality into consideration "for the good of the game". The NFL should do the same.

Baseball is taking into account something impacting the play on the field. Not morality. Christ Ty Cobb is in their hall so don't act like they are superior.

OJ is in for having a gun in a robbery to attempt to get back what was previously his. I'll make sure to add that to your list of moral outrage that disallows people in the hall.

Take Paul hornung out too right? He did bet on the game. You know how Pete rose is banned in baseballs HOF.

Michael Irvin out too?

Lawrence Taylor?

M

mayo44

Just said it Wednesday when interviewed on inside the nfl. Check it out.

Who? All 46 of them? Either way, even if you only look at what he did while wearing a football uniform, there are a multitude of reasons to delay his induction. His lack of work ethic and anything resembling leadership are right at the top of the list.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who? All 46 of them? Either way, even if you only look at what he did while wearing a football uniform, there are a multitude of reasons to delay his induction. His lack of work ethic and anything resembling leadership are right at the top of the list.

Really?!? You didnt know that they only judge players on the field, and contributors for what they did in help the sport? This is pretty common knowledge among football fans.

When you googled you couldnt find anything about it? Yikes, its not that tough to find stuff on it. Here is PFT talking to the commish about it. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-should-be-considered-in-hall-of-fame-voting/

If we were talking about work ethic and leadership you could argue against Brett Favre not being inducted. Yeah the argument is that insane.

2nd most TD receptions of all time.
3rd in receiving yards.
One of the most dangerous weapons of all time and a primary reason why the 98 vikes and the 07 pats had 2 of the top 5 highest scoring offenses of all time.
Ask Dowler what he thinks about Moss. Ask Thompson. (Dowler was a scout for many years and has a highly valued opinion in nfl circles). ESPN.com did a panel not that long ago with the top 10 WRs of all time. The panel consisted of former players, coaches, and GMs. Moss was 2nd.
Led the league 5x in TDs.

The 9ers say he is a wonderful teammate and mentor now if that makes you feel better.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though most seem off the idea that DD is a HOF-er, consider this: at the time of retirement, Cris Carter was second all-time in receptions, yards, and TDs. He was an 8-time Pro Bowler, with 8 straight seasons of 1,000+ yards, and 5 straight with 10+TDs. Heck he was voted to the 1990 All Decade team. Yet, he still can't get enshrined in the HOF.

Also, WR's have a tougher time getting into the HOF compared to their skilled-position contemporaries. Before last season's HOF class, there were 4 WR's in the HOF that played in the 1990s, compared to 7 each for QB and RB. And the WRs that made it waited twice as long as the QBs and RBs. For some reason, WR's have a tough time gaining entry - most noticeable by the continued omission of Cris Carter. This is most evident in the fact that Curtis Martin was elected last year - no denying he was a great player, but his end-of-career numbers don't stack up like CC's.

We did an article on this last season that talks about this if you care to read more: http://wp.me/p29VCs-2V

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How do you know what his work ethic is? Were you at practice? If you want to criticize someone for stating what the NFL HOF said in regards to their voting process (on the field, I have heard it also) by saying not all 46 said it then it seems funny to me you criticize someones work ethic and leadership when you literally have no clue about it besides what you have "heard" also. Moss is a first ballot HOF and its not even an argument. Bump this in 5 years or feel free and take my offer to escrow money on a bet.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though most seem off the idea that DD is a HOF-er, consider this: at the time of retirement, Cris Carter was second all-time in receptions, yards, and TDs. He was an 8-time Pro Bowler, with 8 straight seasons of 1,000+ yards, and 5 straight with 10+TDs. Heck he was voted to the 1990 All Decade team. Yet, he still can't get enshrined in the HOF.

Also, WR's have a tougher time getting into the HOF compared to their skilled-position contemporaries. Before last season's HOF class, there were 4 WR's in the HOF that played in the 1990s, compared to 7 each for QB and RB. And the WRs that made it waited twice as long as the QBs and RBs. For some reason, WR's have a tough time gaining entry - most noticeable by the continued omission of Cris Carter. This is most evident in the fact that Curtis Martin was elected last year - no denying he was a great player, but his end-of-career numbers don't stack up like CC's.

We did an article on this last season that talks about this if you care to read more: http://wp.me/p29VCs-2V

I think almost everyone has shared your sentiment that DD is not an NFL HOFer, no?

M

mayo44

Really?!? You didnt know that they only judge players on the field, and contributors for what they did in help the sport? This is pretty common knowledge among football fans.

If what you claim is true then Jerry Kramer would have been in the HOF a LONG time ago. Nobody revolutionized his position more than Kramer did except for maybe Sammy Baugh.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If what you claim is true then Jerry Kramer would have been in the HOF a LONG time ago. Nobody revolutionized his position more than Kramer did except for maybe Sammy Baugh.

How did Kramer "revolutionize" his position?

The whole Kramer thing has been beaten to death here so many times its tiring. The idea that his book offended so many people he isn't in the hall is ridiculous.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did sapp just get in on first ballot? I'm sure this annoys most packer fans almost as much as moss

M

mayo44

How do you know what his work ethic is?

Are you kidding me?! That's the number one thing he's been criticized for over the years! He has a well-established history of quitting on him team when the chips are down. You think his quitter attitude won't be considered? Do a google search of "randy moss 'work ethic'" and see how many positive comments you find compared to negative about HIS. Maybe he's developed a half-decent work ethic in the last few months, but he certainly didn't have one for the first 12 years.

Moss is a first ballot HOF and its not even an argument. Bump this in 5 years or feel free and take my offer to escrow money on a bet.

All of these guys should get in before Moss (including possible retirees for the next 2 years):

JERRY KRAMER
Charles Woodson
Andre Reed
Sterling Sharpe
LaDainian Tomlinson
Joe Jacoby
Roger Craig
Tony Gonzalez
Terrell Davis
Brian Urlacher
Ray Lewis
Leroy Butler
Daryl Johnston
Kevin Greene
Tim Brown
Henry Ellard
Will Shields
Brett Favre
L.C. Greenwood
Charles Haley
Champ Bailey
Sam Mills
Alex Karras
Clay Matthews II
Darren Woodson
Marvin Harrison
Ahman Green
Mark Bavaro
Steve Atwater
Ken Anderson
Gary Anderson
Mark Stepnoski
Jimmy Smith

Besides, a lot of guys get the HOF snub and Moss is a prime candidate to be snubbed for at least a few years.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you kidding me?! That's the number one thing he's been criticized for over the years! He has a well-established history of quitting on him team when the chips are down. You think his quitter attitude won't be considered? Do a google search of "randy moss 'work ethic'" and see how many positive comments you find compared to negative about HIS. Maybe he's developed a half-decent work ethic in the last few months, but he certainly didn't have one for the first 12 years.

All of these guys should get in before Moss (including possible retirees for the next 2 years):

JERRY KRAMER
Charles Woodson
Andre Reed
Sterling Sharpe
LaDainian Tomlinson
Joe Jacoby
Roger Craig
Tony Gonzalez
Terrell Davis
Brian Urlacher
Ray Lewis
Leroy Butler
Daryl Johnston
Kevin Greene
Tim Brown
Henry Ellard
Will Shields
Brett Favre
L.C. Greenwood
Charles Haley
Champ Bailey
Sam Mills
Alex Karras
Clay Matthews II
Darren Woodson
Marvin Harrison
Ahman Green
Mark Bavaro
Steve Atwater
Ken Anderson
Gary Anderson
Mark Stepnoski
Jimmy Smith

Besides, a lot of guys get the HOF snub and Moss is a prime candidate to be snubbed for at least a few years.

you should be jumping at the chance to take my bet then for a large sum :)

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

People that shouldn't be ahead of Moss marked with an X

JERRY KRAMER - X
Charles Woodson
Andre Reed - X
Sterling Sharpe - X
LaDainian Tomlinson - X
Joe Jacoby - X
Roger Craig - X
Tony Gonzalez
Terrell Davis - X
Brian Urlacher - X
Ray Lewis
Leroy Butler - X
Daryl Johnston - X
Kevin Greene - X
Tim Brown - X
Henry Ellard - X
Will Shields - X
Brett Favre
L.C. Greenwood - X
Charles Haley - X
Champ Bailey - X
Sam Mills - X
Alex Karras - X
Clay Matthews II - X
Darren Woodson - X
Marvin Harrison - X
Ahman Green - X
Mark Bavaro - X
Steve Atwater - X
Ken Anderson - X
Gary Anderson - X
Mark Stepnoski - X
Jimmy Smith - X

Your list was pretty funny though, take off the green and gold glasses and try and be objective, Moss is one of the greatest players in NFL history.

M

mayo44

you should be jumping at the chance to take my bet then for a large sum :)

Well, for starters, I don't have a large sum to put up. I have kids to raise and the associated expenses come WAY before any petty bet on a forum. Second, even if I did have it, winning said bet would be akin to stealing candy from a baby, and I'm not one to do that.

I think a sufficiently self-deprecating "I was wrong, you were right" post from you in 4 or 5 years will be sufficient.:D

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, for starters, I don't have a large sum to put up. I have kids to raise and the associated expenses come WAY before any petty bet on a forum. Second, even if I did have it, winning said bet would be akin to stealing candy from a baby, and I'm not one to do that.

I think a sufficiently self-deprecating "I was wrong, you were right" post from you in 4 or 5 years will be sufficient.:D

I would jump at the chance to make the easy money you are claiming you can make, we obviously think differently, I support my opinions and beliefs and if I am willing to lose then I obviously have no problem in being wrong. Let me know if you want to take the bet, it will stand for you.

M

mayo44

Moss is could have been one of the greatest players in NFL history.

Fixed it for you.

Great players don't quit on their teammates.

Great players aren't lazy.

Great players don't find themselves traded away because of their ****-poor attitude.

Great players don't routinely make ***** of themselves on the field.

Great players don't wilt in the face of adversity.

All of those guys deserve to be in the HOF ahead of him because they belong in it and most of them have waited long enough. Most of the voters are sportswriters and Moss spend most of his career thumbing his nose at those guys. They won't forget that.

M

mayo44

I would jump at the chance to make the easy money you are claiming you can make, we obviously think differently, I support my opinions and beliefs and if I am willing to lose then I obviously have no problem in being wrong. Let me know if you want to take the bet, it will stand for you.

A person's willingness to put their livelihood on the line for a bet does nothing to either strengthen or weaken their argument. I'll be perfectly happy simply being right when the time comes. You're perfectly welcome to thump your chest all you want until then.

Staff online

Members online