Does DD get his number retired?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt it because it seems the Packers keep retired numbers for the truly special players. And I'm not sure DD was anything special. He was a great player that enjoyed a long career with great QB's. He holds the all-time receiving records. But I don't think that gets it done. I'm curious to see what others think.

Also, as an FYI, here are the retired numbers to date:

3 - Canadeo
***4 - Player that shall not be named, yet.
14 - Hutson
15 - Starr
66 - Nitschke
92 - Reggie

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt they retire his number, but he's a cinch for the Packers HOF; and he is more deserving for the NFL HOF than Moss, imo.

Reaction score
He should but no because James Lofton also wore number 80..

Also, besides Rodgers and Favre, nobody else from now on should have their number retired due to the fact that we would frankly run out of numbers in for a 53 man roster in a century! (and the fact that the Packers have had and will get many legendary players)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They better retire no. 5 before they retire no. 4. In Titletown, it's all about Championships, as it should be. 12 should be retired only if he leads us to 3 or more Championships.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
DD did a lot for our franchise, but he's just not that kind of icon. Packers HOF yes, maybe ROH, but Retired Jersey? I'm not even sure we take it "out of service" like we did Hornung's #5.

M

mayo44

Not a chance. There are only 10 numbers in the 80-89 range and those are still the preferred numeration for WRs and TEs, unless you play for the Bengals.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD did a lot for our franchise, but he's just not that kind of icon. Packers HOF yes, maybe ROH, but Retired Jersey? I'm not even sure we take it "out of service" like we did Hornung's #5.

You mean majik mans #5?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson ring of honor, dd ring of honor and hopefully someday Rodgers and Matthews ring of honor.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You mean majik mans #5?
I'm only old enough to remember #7. :D
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Such a sweet Mullet... He switched a year or two before I was born because they took Hornung's #5 out of service.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt they retire his number, but he's a cinch for the Packers HOF; and he is more deserving for the NFL HOF than Moss, imo.

You've got to be kidding me that DD is more deserving of the NFL HOF over Randy Moss! Yes, Moss may not have the overall numbers that he should have had given his talent. But, there is simply no denying the fact that Moss was one of the best WR's of all-time. He single-handedly could determine an outcome of the game. There was no WR that had his vertical threat and skill-set. Remember, the Packers essentially devoted an entire draft to counter Randy Moss after his rookie year. When he wanted to play, he was unstoppable.

Of course, his attitude was one of the worst ever. It's a shame he took plays off, was immature, and didn't apply himself like Jerry Rice did. But that doesn't detract from his overall greatness. He will be a sure-fire HOF-er.

In contrast, DD was nothing more than a solid starter. Defenses never game-planned to stop DD. He was very good in his role. But it's just not HOF-worthy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Moss should be first ballot. A top 7 WR of all time.

The argument I like is TO vs Moss

M

mayo44

Agreed. Moss should be first ballot. A top 7 WR of all time.

No way in hell will Moss be first ballot. He'll probably be a guy who waits a long time to get in, if he ever does. They look at a lot more than raw stats for HOF consideration. They look at character, leadership, work ethic, how much of an ambassador for the game the player is as well as other things. Moss has none of those things. He might get in, but it won't be on his first year of eligibility.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way in hell will Moss be first ballot. He'll probably be a guy who waits a long time to get in, if he ever does. They look at a lot more than raw stats for HOF consideration. They look at character, leadership, work ethic, how much of an ambassador for the game the player is as well as other things. Moss has none of those things. He might get in, but it won't be on his first year of eligibility.

The voters state they only look at one the field, not off the field.

Moss was the monster on 2 of the highest scoring offenses of all time. No Viking has ever put fear in packer fans like moss did.

It sounds like you are letting personal feelings dictate your opinion on his candidacy into the HOF.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The voters state they only look at on the field, not off the field.

Moss was the monster on 2 of the highest scoring offenses of all time. No Viking has ever put fear in packer fans like moss did.

It sounds like you are letting personal feelings dictate your opinion on his candidacy into the HOF.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree. No way Moss is a first ballot HOF'er. If u just look on the field then his comments like I'll play when I want to. Then act like u moon the Packers or any team for that fact. If was to retire after losing this yrs SB 2022 would be the absolute earliest he makes. Cris Carter should make it this yr.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson ring of honor, dd ring of honor and hopefully someday Rodgers and Matthews ring of honor.
"ring of honor"?? If you mean the names around Lambeau, they're all members of the NFL HOF, and I agree that he's more deserving than the sociopath Moss--a person who's attitude is exactly the opposite of what a decent parent hopes his child will possess. Of course, the NFL is a league that wants Ray Lewis to be an ambassador after he retires; and has O.J. in its HOF; so it is certainly true that character and decency have no part in determining who their heroes are.

H

HardRightEdge

In order of difficulty for Driver:

Packer Hall of Fame: Of course. There are about 135 guys in already. The WRs already included are Robert Brooks, Boyd Dowler, Antonio Freeman, James Lofton, Sterling Sharpe and Max McGee. I'd rank him 3rd. in this group behind Lofton and Sharpe. You can figure Jennings will get in eventually...he's about on a par with Brooks and Freeman.

NFL Hall of Fame: I'm tempted to say "no way", but I'll be sensitive and say "highly unlikely". Andre Reed, Chris Carter and Tim Brown are lined up and having trouble getting in. There's a pipeline of current and eventual 10,000 yd. receivers in the league now. I'd rank Driver a bit behind Stanley "Steamer" Morgan, who probably elicits a "who?" from voters under the age of 40, and about on a par with Anquan Boldin among current players, and Boldin will pass him soon on career stats. Nobody talks about Boldin as a HOF player; that might change for a little while if he has a big game on Sunday, otherwise not. It's possible you won't see Driver making a final nominations list.

"Ring of Honor": See NFL HOF above. I think there might be a misunderstanding about this honor. First, whatever you call it, it's a misnomer because that series of names displayed around the perimeter of Lambeau field has no official designation. It is actually just a complete list of NFL Hall of Famers who played or coached the bulk of their careers for the Packers. Nothing more, nothing less.

As an aside, Favre is an NFL HOF lock, probably on the first ballot. When he goes into Hall of Fame, he will certainly be added to the "ring". To do otherwise would set a remarkable precedent while marking current management as bitter, foolish d*ckheads, which they are not. And you're hearing this from a guy who thought we should have traded him around 2000.

Jersey Number Retired: No way. There are 17 Packers in the NFL HOF who have not received that supreme team honor; 16 if you count Hornung's #5 unofficial retirement. As for Favre, that's a tough call. I'd lean toward "probably not" in the foreseeable future, but "perhaps" at some future date once the bitterness has faded and the principals are no longer in the front office. One caveat: if there's a massive grass roots petition drive to make it happen, current management and the board may take the path of least resistance.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"ring of honor"?? If you mean the names around Lambeau, they're all members of the NFL HOF, and I agree that he's more deserving than the sociopath Moss--a person who's attitude is exactly the opposite of what a decent parent hopes his child will possess. Of course, the NFL is a league that wants Ray Lewis to be an ambassador after he retires; and has O.J. in its HOF; so it is certainly true that character and decency have no part in determining who their heroes are.

Yes, ring of honor. Packers HOF calls it that and so does the JS.

Real quick, can you tell me when Ron Wolf went into the NFL HOF? Oh he didnt... but wait... his name in the ring... huh how about that.

Thankfully, the NFL HOF doesnt agree with you, and morality isnt a defined credential to go into the Hall.

H

HardRightEdge

Real quick, can you tell me when Ron Wolf went into the NFL HOF? Oh he didnt... but wait... his name in the ring... huh how about that.

Thankfully, the NFL HOF doesnt agree with you, and morality isnt a defined credential to go into the Hall.

Good point about Wolf. I stand corrected. He's an exception, but not a player. Regardless, I cannot see Driver being another non-HOF exception.

Lots of people call it the "ring of honor" for lack of a better term. The Packer Hall of Fame web site references it in one article as lower case "ring of honor", apparently for expediency, but I've seen nothing to indicate that's what it is officially called. It seems like an unofficial designation, like the unofficial retirement of #5.

H

HardRightEdge

Totally agree. No way Moss is a first ballot HOF'er. If u just look on the field then his comments like I'll play when I want to. Then act like u moon the Packers or any team for that fact. If was to retire after losing this yrs SB 2022 would be the absolute earliest he makes. Cris Carter should make it this yr.

It is hard to think much of Moss as a human being. Also, given his track record with Mary Jane, and having had some experience with it in my youth, I believe I've seen him playing stoned at times in past seasons...they called it "taking games off" or "indifferent effort" when he might have been just wandering in a fog.

However, the stats are undeniable: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00.htm

4-time first team All Pros go to the HOF. If you look just at the numbers, Moss and Owens are the best WRs of the post-Rice pass-happy era, and there is a good chance both will be first ballot choices. It's not like they got busted for performance enhancing drugs. And lest we forget, Hornung is in the Hall despite being suspended for a year for gambling. Namath owned a bar frequented by hoods and gamblers which the NFL forced him to sell under threat of suspension. Ray Lewis, certainly another first ballot HOFer, used to hang out with guys who shoot other guys to death outside bars.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a recent DD interview

What he thinks of Randy Moss saying he is the best wide receiver ever:
"What defines greatness is when you hold all the records and what you mean to your fans on and off the field, because that is who ranks you as the greatest receiver of all-time. The guy that holds all the records, the guy that has set the stage for all of us, you have to give it to Jerry Rice. I think Randy would probably be No. 2, then you have Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce and the list goes on and on. For me, I have to give it to Jerry Rice because he is the greatest to ever play, put that uniform on and be successful at it."

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely hate when players fail to mention Hutson. It bothers me even more when its a Packer.

H

HardRightEdge

I absolutely hate when players fail to mention Hutson. It bothers me even more when its a Packer.

The bias is always toward recent memory; nonetheless Donald should know better. If voted today by folks with some sense of history (like writers), the all-time NFL first team would still be Hutson and Rice. Donald also forgot about Owens in particular, and arguably Reed, among recent players but this was probably some off the cuff comment, not a studied opinion.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Forgot about Wolf--but every player and coach named are in the HOF. Driver won't likely be a member. And morality isn't a "defined credential" in anything today--the reason we're in the state we're in, imo.

Members online

Latest posts