Does anyone think Gute will pull off a big trade?

Would you like to see Gute make a trade for Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters?

• Yes, but for no higher than a 3rd round pick

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Yes, even if it takes a 2nd round pick

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Yes, no matter the compensation

• No, not for a 3rd round pick

• No, not even if he can be had for a 4th or 5th round pick

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Yes, but only if he commands a 4th round pick or later

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a number of players who are rumored to be available in trade that could help the Packers defense. From Richard Sherman to Aquib Talib star cornerbacks seem to be up for grabs. I don't think I'd go after Sherman because he's coming off an Achilles injury and likely will demand a large contract extension although the draft pick needed to aquire him is likely much lower this time around. As for Talib I'd wait on him because the broncos will likely cut him to save 11 million against their cap. Another player available is Earl thomas who id love to have in Green Bay but he will likely command a first round pick in trade and he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league which means a cap number of around 10 million. So I think hes not a realistic option. That brings me to Marcus Peters he is unequivocally a number 1 corner but he seems to come with a lot of the same problems damarious Randall does albiet he's a much better player at this point. Because of the off field problems apparently the chiefs are done with him. You'd think a 25 year old top 5 or top 10 cb depending on who you ask would command at least a first round pick. However that does not seem to be the case. From what I've read the chiefs are likely to get no higher than a 3rd round pick. Which coincindently the Packers are set to have 2 of. Would you trade one of the 2 3rd rounders for Peters? I'd do it without thinking twice it's a steal of a deal even if he only plays out his rookie deal in Green Bay which runs thru 2019 with the 5th year option. Giving up only a third you still have 4 picks essentially in the top 100, 4th rounder is #110 to hopefully get a starting caliber pass rusher and reciever. The chances the cornerback you draft in the 3rd round turning out to be as good as Peters are not very good. Peters would add some much needed play making, 19 ints in last 3 seasons, to the defensive back group to go along with Randall who really is the only play maker the unit has right now. Josh Jones could become one as could Kevin king but it's wait and see on that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't really watch the Chiefs enough to know what I think of him. He sounds nice. As for Sherman? no thanks. Didn't really think he was worth it last year and now he's had a ruptured achilles? He was in decline before, i wouldn't commit much to him and Seattle will probably release him anyway if he's not back at 100%. Talib is POS, and he will be cut most likely. Wouldn't trade a thing for him. I'd rather go after any number of guys available or draft route than bring him on board. I really do think there is a line where certain people don't deserve anything they're given because of athleticism if they're that ****** of a person. Talib seems like that guy. I understand it's football, but there are so many others that are pretty good too, and they aren't complete POS's with the only thing going for them is the ability to run fast and cover people on a football field. I'd rather give them a chance. Talib is as likely to pull some BS stunt and be suspended as we make a playoff push, thereby eating a roster spot and some cap and be gone for the push, as he is to make the game changing INT to get to the super Bowl. i'd rather bet on good people than not.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the price on Peters is low enough that the Packers are interested, count on a pile of other teams also being in the mix.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
On Peters in particular, I’d think that the FO would have to really do their homework to find out why he’s being moved. Is he unmanageable, or is it more financial?

Allowing that it’s more financial, and given that it would be a one year rental, I would try to get it done with #76 plus maybe a little extra. If I could, I would try to protect #45.

That, however, might be unrealistic based on what the Jets got for head case Sheldon Richardson (SEA’s 2nd plus Jermaine Kearse).

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Peters has those 19 ints since 2015 that's the most in the league in the last 3 seasons. He was rookie of year and pro bowler in 2015. 1st team all pro and pro bowl in 2016. And missed 2 games in 2017 but still had 5 picks, 9 pds, 42 solo tackles, 3 forced fumbles, and 2 recoveries 1 returned for a td. He's also only 25 years old and 6-0 197 and plenty fast and athletic enough. He's being moved because he has value and the chiefs have decided they don't wanna try to manage him. It's the same thing the Packers are doing with Randall only they are choosing to continue managing him. Could Joe witt manage Peters better, maybe could he mature a bit being he's 25 just like Randall maybe. Would they make one of the best play making cornerback duos in the keague, yes. And Peters has 2 years left so he's be a 2 year rental at least as the team holds the 5th year option. And when/if he leaves better believe you're getting a 3rd round compensatory pick back

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sherman is one guy that just doesn't interest me. I can't understand investing a pick in renting a 30 year old corner for big money on a one year deal. I'd rather keep the pick and spend the money on a younger FA.

Vinny Curry, the edge from Philly is kind of interesting. The Eagles' top 51 currently has them at -6.1M in cap space. They gave Curry an extension after 2015. They can release him for 5M in cap savings, but it would create 6M in dead money. He's signed through 2020, but it would be easy to get out of the last year of the deal. His production is pedestrian, but my understanding is that he's remained a strong pass rusher on a per snap basis. Because they're in cap trouble and his cap number has outpaced his statistics, a team might be able to acquire him relatively cheaply.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curry is ok hes had 3 sacks a year basically for the past 3 seasons. He played 576 snaps and had 3 sacks, 42 tackles, 1 pd, and 1 forced fumble. I think his cap number would be too high for that production I'd you were to trade for him. If he gets cut maybe on the cheap.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And Peters has 2 years left so he's be a 2 year rental at least as the team holds the 5th year option. And when/if he leaves better believe you're getting a 3rd round compensatory pick back

Not sure if the Chiefs have invoked the 5th year option (2019) on Peters yet, which would probably be close to $9M. Also, I am not sure if he is traded before that is done, if the right to do it would transfer to his new team?

All that being said, I would be worried about why the Chiefs want to dump a player that appears to be one of the best at his position, when they have him pretty cheap for 2 more year and then would get a decent compensatory pick if they let him walk in Free Agency. If they are willing to deal him cheap, let the buyer beware.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking towards a big trade in general its obviously difficult to say how BG will act but I could totally see him wanting to put his mark on the team from the start and he has a lot of draft picks to work with. I would not be at all surprised to see a big trade, either for a player like Peters or to move in the draft or to sign a flashy free agent. I honestly don't see that the Packers chose to move on from TT just to get more of the same? If they were not looking for a bit of a shakeup in style they would have stuck with him for his last year (assuming it wasn't all his idea)

As for any player in particular I really don't like the idea of giving up draft picks, especially 1st or 2nd day ones, for anyone who is looked at as a 1 year rental. Obviously if you get the guy in for a year you can try to work out a long term deal but if he plays well enough he may just price himself out of your range. Either a sign and trade or trade with the stipulation that a long term deal can be worked out by draft day if not it is void.

For Peters specifically, as Poker said, you have to be leery of a young guy who is near the top at his position that any team wants to trade. Quick says he has value and they don't want to try to manage him. What does that mean exactly. I get the value part as he obviously has that but the rest? Is he a huge head case? Is he already making outrageous demands for his next contract. Is he just a major PITA? I don't know the answer to that but as others have said, its something any team trading for him had better find out. Assuming the Packers and Dorsey still have a good relationship and from the rumors this past season it would appear that they do, maybe they have an inside track on some of the details and could get the questions answered that way. Although with the way players and staff move around these days I'm guessing just about every team has some sort of "inside information" available to them (Nagy and the Bears for example)

Lastly, good players without baggage rarely come cheap so if you are looking to snag a guy like Peters for a 3rd round pick I doubt it will happen unless he has some serious problems that come with him. Same with free agents. There are 30 other teams (31 if the current team is interested in retaining him) and many have the same needs and a lot more money to throw around. I see comments like "if he will play for the minimum sure" and he ends up signing for 4 million somewhere (not saying he is worth the 4 million) or "on a cheap 1 year prove it deal yeah" and he turns out to be neither 1 year or cheap or he doesn't prove it. Bottom line if you want a difference maker you are going to have to pay for him and if you think he is worth it you might as well get him for more than a year. If you are not willing to do that I wouldn't recommend spending the money in most cases.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It is kind of ironic that TT took a lot of grief for being too cheap and a bottom of the bin shopper, yet many of us posters think along the same lines.....don't run the risk of sinking the ship by overpaying for a FA or trading away too much for one guy. Maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong here, but I'm putting Martellus Bennett as TT's biggest FA signing Failure and possibly Spriggs as his worst "trade deal", that one still hasn't played out fully. He could have done a lot worse (and better).

While I think Gute may want to make a big splash in his first year, I don't see him doing a complete 180 from TT's approach, especially given the team he inherited. Let Russ Ball manage the cap in the efficient way he has, listen to the coaches and what their needs are and try to go out there and sign/trade/draft without taking too big of risks.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong here, but I'm putting Martellus Bennett as TT's biggest FA signing Failure and possibly Spriggs as his worst "trade deal", that one still hasn't played out fully. He could have done a lot worse (and better).
Spriggs really started playing good last season and improved towards the end of the season. A couple years to develop isnt unusual for OL.

I think the worse trade is Jerel Worthy at 52 for 59 and 153. I guess thats not much invested in trading up, but he was a bust.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Spriggs really started playing good last season and improved towards the end of the season. A couple years to develop isnt unusual for OL.

I think the worse trade is Jerel Worthy at 52 for 59 and 153. I guess thats not much invested in trading up, but he was a bust.

Forgot about trading up to get Worthy, thanks for pointing that out ;) Definitely a bust move. The Eagles ended up getting DE Vinny Curry (still playing pretty well) with the 59th pick and CB Brandon Boykin with #153.

I agree with you, the jury is still out on Spriggs and while he had a decent few games at the end of the year, I'm not quite ready to say he was a good pick for what the Packers gave up to get him. ;)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you, the jury is still out on Spriggs and while he had a decent few games at the end of the year, I'm not quite ready to say he was a good pick for what the Packers gave up to get him. ;)
I'm biased as I was pulling for us to get him. He is very athletic and skilled. He only lacked the strength and needs a bit more weight. That takes a little more time and he appears to be on his way.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to wonder why he is available. Sometimes the issues off the field are more important than abilities on the field. I would be very cautious.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking towards a big trade in general its obviously difficult to say how BG will act but I could totally see him wanting to put his mark on the team from the start and he has a lot of draft picks to work with. I would not be at all surprised to see a big trade, either for a player like Peters or to move in the draft or to sign a flashy free agent. I honestly don't see that the Packers chose to move on from TT just to get more of the same? If they were not looking for a bit of a shakeup in style they would have stuck with him for his last year (assuming it wasn't all his idea)

As for any player in particular I really don't like the idea of giving up draft picks, especially 1st or 2nd day ones, for anyone who is looked at as a 1 year rental. Obviously if you get the guy in for a year you can try to work out a long term deal but if he plays well enough he may just price himself out of your range. Either a sign and trade or trade with the stipulation that a long term deal can be worked out by draft day if not it is void.

For Peters specifically, as Poker said, you have to be leery of a young guy who is near the top at his position that any team wants to trade. Quick says he has value and they don't want to try to manage him. What does that mean exactly. I get the value part as he obviously has that but the rest? Is he a huge head case? Is he already making outrageous demands for his next contract. Is he just a major PITA? I don't know the answer to that but as others have said, its something any team trading for him had better find out. Assuming the Packers and Dorsey still have a good relationship and from the rumors this past season it would appear that they do, maybe they have an inside track on some of the details and could get the questions answered that way. Although with the way players and staff move around these days I'm guessing just about every team has some sort of "inside information" available to them (Nagy and the Bears for example)

Lastly, good players without baggage rarely come cheap so if you are looking to snag a guy like Peters for a 3rd round pick I doubt it will happen unless he has some serious problems that come with him. Same with free agents. There are 30 other teams (31 if the current team is interested in retaining him) and many have the same needs and a lot more money to throw around. I see comments like "if he will play for the minimum sure" and he ends up signing for 4 million somewhere (not saying he is worth the 4 million) or "on a cheap 1 year prove it deal yeah" and he turns out to be neither 1 year or cheap or he doesn't prove it. Bottom line if you want a difference maker you are going to have to pay for him and if you think he is worth it you might as well get him for more than a year. If you are not willing to do that I wouldn't recommend spending the money in most cases.

Yeah Peters is a headcase just like damarious Randall is a headcase. And that is why the chiefs would trade him for a 3rd round pick the article I read said the NFL exceutive said a 3rd rounder was the best the chiefs would get now idk if I believe that. How about throw them Randall Cobb and the 3rd round compensatory pick? I'd say that's equal value to a high second rounder. And that's in my mind the best the chiefs will do for Peters because he's a headcase. It was the knock on him coming out of Washington and it's why he didn't go til the 18th pick had he fallen to the Packers he'd be the Packers headcase instead of Randall.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Adam Shefter; Chiefs finalizing a deal to trade Peters to the Rams.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chiefs have agreed to trade Peters to the Rams. No word on compensation yet. But this does prove we had a shot if we had been interested, since we pick before the Rams.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's too bad but good for the Rams Peters is a huge step up from trumaine johnson

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's too bad but good for the Rams Peters is a huge step up from trumaine johnson

Possibly, but what does it say about him that the team that drafted him and still has him on a rookie contract for 1-2 years, wants to cut ties with him? Either the Rams paid a big price for him or the Chiefs dumped a headache.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly, but what does it say about him that the team that drafted him and still has him on a rookie contract for 1-2 years, wants to cut ties with him? Either the Rams paid a big price for him or the Chiefs dumped a headache.

Or possibly both. But here's the thing damarious Randall is the same kind of headache. When the guy plays well enough to warrant dealing with it you deal with it. To me Randall is right on the cusp of that but the Packers are choosing to deal with it because they have no better option and they think he will develop into an even better player than he is right now

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Or possibly both. But here's the thing damarious Randall is the same kind of headache. When the guy plays well enough to warrant dealing with it you deal with it. To me Randall is right on the cusp of that but the Packers are choosing to deal with it because they have no better option and they think he will develop into an even better player than he is right now

I think there is a big difference between what Peters and Randall do on the field, with Peters being the much better and more consistent CB of the 2.

It sounds like the Rams are trading multiple picks for him, so this probably isn't the case of the Chiefs just wanting to recoup something on a guy they are having off field issues with.

This should mean Trumaine Johnson won't be back with the Rams and someone the Packers could look at.