Does anyone think Gute will pull off a big trade?

Would you like to see Gute make a trade for Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters?

• Yes, but for no higher than a 3rd round pick

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Yes, even if it takes a 2nd round pick

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Yes, no matter the compensation

• No, not for a 3rd round pick

• No, not even if he can be had for a 4th or 5th round pick

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Yes, but only if he commands a 4th round pick or later

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's lots of levels of headaches, and lots of various reasons to keep them. At this point, we have no idea how relatable their "headaches" are. Randall's aren't that bad relatively speaking. Getting players to be coachable is a pretty routine challenge faced by NFL teams and at this point, it seems that's what kind of headache randall is/has. and it appears to be getting better.

I would really question why a team is getting rid of a good player on a cheap rookie deal. Either way, he's a Ram and it's probably Ted's fault.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a big difference between what Peters and Randall do on the field, with Peters being the much better and more consistent CB of the 2.

It sounds like the Rams are trading multiple picks for him, so this probably isn't the case of the Chiefs just wanting to recoup something on a guy they are having off field issues with.

This should mean Trumaine Johnson won't be back with the Rams and someone the Packers could look at.

Yeah you're right Peters is roughly twice the player Randall is yet the Packers still choose to deal with him. The Rams clearly view Peters as a huge upgrade over Johnson and who can blame them. Like I said it was a great move by the Rams as it sounds like they aren't giving up any pick higher than a 3rd. They don't have a 2nd and I'd be suprised if they are giving up a 1st and another pick but that could be the case. I'm thinking a 3rd and a 5th

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's lots of levels of headaches, and lots of various reasons to keep them. At this point, we have no idea how relatable their "headaches" are. Randall's aren't that bad relatively speaking. Getting players to be coachable is a pretty routine challenge faced by NFL teams and at this point, it seems that's what kind of headache randall is/has. and it appears to be getting better.

I would really question why a team is getting rid of a good player on a cheap rookie deal. Either way, he's a Ram and it's probably Ted's fault.

Being coachable seems to be the biggest concern with Peters as well. What I read is he doesn't react well to being critized and he will come back at coaches when they critize him

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really know nothing of Peters, I probably saw 3 chiefs games, and that would be if you added up all the parts and highlights i saw all season long.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Like I said it was a great move by the Rams as it sounds like they aren't giving up any pick higher than a 3rd. They don't have a 2nd and I'd be suprised if they are giving up a 1st and another pick but that could be the case. I'm thinking a 3rd and a 5th

In your eyes it was a great move by the Rams, are you 100% sure it wasn't a great move by the Chiefs? As I have said and many others have pointed out, the Chiefs just didn't give away one of the best CB's in the NFL to be stupid and generous, they had their reasons. For all we know Peters is facing suspension, got arrested or some other peril that NFL players face or the Rams paid a big price for him. So until all the details are known and a year or 2 goes by, nobody really can accurately say who got the better end of the deal.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In your eyes it was a great move by the Rams, are you 100% sure it wasn't a great move by the Chiefs? As I have said and many others have pointed out, the Chiefs just didn't give away one of the best CB's in the NFL to be stupid and generous, they had their reasons. For all we know Peters is facing suspension, got arrested or some other peril that NFL players face or the Rams paid a big price for him. So until all the details are known and a year or 2 goes by, nobody really can accurately say who got the better end of the deal.

If he was facing a suspension then the Rams really messed up by not doing their due diligence.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he was facing a suspension then the Rams really messed up by not doing their due diligence.
.... or they were willing to gamble on whatever baggage comes with a great player. You would have to guess that the price reflected everything that was known.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.... or they were willing to gamble on whatever baggage comes with a great player. You would have to guess that the price reflected everything that was known.

Yep exactly and I was hoping the Packers were willing to entertain that price. We'll see what they payed I'm betting on no better than a 3rd rounder and a fifth which I would if done. We'll see ?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well the Packers didn't get the expected extra 3rd rounder anyway

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have good starters and average depth. I think we could use at least 1 more guy that's a bonafide starter before we even think of losing some depth guys, and the depth guys are just that. Depth. They aren't going to bring much in return, probably nothing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
well the Packers didn't get the expected extra 3rd rounder anyway

Just saw that....only got a 4th rounder for Lang. :(

Packers 2018 Draft Picks
Round Pick Overall Notes
1 14 14
2 13 45
3 12 76
4 14 114
4 33 133 Compensatory
5 13 150
5 35 172 Compensatory
5 37 174 Compensatory
6 12 186
6 33 207 Compensatory
7 14 232
7 21 239 expected from BUF for Lerentee McCray*

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think Gute may want to make a big splash in his first year, I don't see him doing a complete 180 from TT's approach, especially given the team he inherited. Let Russ Ball manage the cap in the efficient way he has, listen to the coaches and what their needs are and try to go out there and sign/trade/draft without taking too big of risks.

Definitely not a 180 I agree on that. At least I hope not. Big spending isn't the way to do it either. We have 12 draft picks now I believe. I'd like to see them package about 5 of them and either move up a few spots on day 2 or make a trade to at least bring in some experienced depth.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know about the reasons behind the Chiefs having traded Peters to the Rams but in my opinion he would have definitely been worth the risk having allowed the lowest passer rating in the lesgue when targeted over the past three seasons.

On the other hand Gutekunst shouldn't be interested in acquiring Sherman. In addition it seems the Seahawks currently aren't interested in moving him.

Vinny Curry, the edge from Philly is kind of interesting. The Eagles' top 51 currently has them at -6.1M in cap space. They gave Curry an extension after 2015. They can release him for 5M in cap savings, but it would create 6M in dead money. He's signed through 2020, but it would be easy to get out of the last year of the deal. His production is pedestrian, but my understanding is that he's remained a strong pass rusher on a per snap basis. Because they're in cap trouble and his cap number has outpaced his statistics, a team might be able to acquire him relatively cheaply.

Curry might present a decent option but there's no way the Packers should take a $9 million cap hit for next season to bring him in.

Spriggs really started playing good last season and improved towards the end of the season. A couple years to develop isnt unusual for OL.

Spriggs improved over the course of last season but still hasn't lived up to being a second round pick by any means.

looks like he's not an option now but again...you got to give up something to get something. give up one of them for a comparable guy. Packers are pretty deep at dt. they could afford to lose one to cure the cb position.

There's absolutely no reason for the Packers to trade away a starter on defense to acquire another one. That would just leave them with a different position to upgrade.

Reaction score
Its still relatively early and we’re going to keep our cards close. We’re already working deals behind the scenes I’m quite sure.
With 12 draft picks (granted many late rounders) expect either a trade in FA or several trades in the draft or slight chance of a combination of both.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs really started playing good last season and improved towards the end of the season. A couple years to develop isnt unusual for OL.

I think the worse trade is Jerel Worthy at 52 for 59 and 153. I guess thats not much invested in trading up, but he was a bust.
Spriggs was considered a project when he was drafted. I see him getting better every year,and may still become a very good otackle for us.

Reaction score
He earned some valuable snaps and I think it’s still early in his career so one would expect further improvement. I think we’ll get a much better feel this year. I also liked the little bit I saw from Kyle Murphy.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason for the Packers to trade away a starter on defense to acquire another one. That would just leave them with a different position to upgrade.

that's how trades work. we're deep at dt. we're $#!+ at cb. peters is the #5 ranked cb in the nfl.

Clark for Peters straight up would have been a rip off in KC’s favor.

one of the cb positions would have been completely cured...made iron clad. an every down shutdown corner for a rotation dt. i love clark but the Packers are deep at dt. they could afford to lose one of them for an "interception machine."

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB doesn't have 5 stud DT's in it's rotation. They have really good in Daniels and Clark and solid in Lowery. The rest have just been guys and if you send off Clark, who's very good, has a very good head on his shoulders, is very young and is very cheap, you're an idiot as a GM. You'd take one of our positions where we are halfway decent and turn it into what? Daniels and Clark are great for each other. Take one away and it's easy for an offense to key on one guy. NOBODY else on this roster is going to take attention away from which ever one you'd keep.

you do not take core players and trade them away for someone else's headache. If we still had Bennett or something, yeah, send him on his way. Headache for headache.

D

Deleted member 6794

He earned some valuable snaps and I think it’s still early in his career so one would expect further improvement. I think we’ll get a much better feel this year. I also liked the little bit I saw from Kyle Murphy.

Both Murphy and Spriggs have to improve a lot before the Packers should feel comfortable about any of them protecting Rodgers.

that's how trades work. we're deep at dt. we're $#!+ at cb. peters is the #5 ranked cb in the nfl.

That's not how smart general managers should handle trades by any means. With the Packers having 12 selections in this year's draft I would have been absolutely fine with acquiring Peters for a combination of those picks but there's no way Gutekunst should have given up Clark as that would have resulted in the defensive line being in need of an immediate upgrade.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of this depends on the depth at the position in the draft if you ask me.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the chiefs got a 4th in 2018 while giving up their 6th and a 2nd in 2019. However thinking about it I don't think Gute had a chance even had he offered more because I'm thinking that Peters was only willing to play in California. Sounds plausible to me so im going with it otherwise huge mistake by Packers front office in not offering something slightly better than that steal of a deal for the Rams.

D

Deleted member 6794

So the chiefs got a 4th in 2018 while giving up their 6th and a 2nd in 2019. However thinking about it I don't think Gute had a chance even had he offered more because I'm thinking that Peters was only willing to play in California. Sounds plausible to me so im going with it otherwise huge mistake by Packers front office in not offering something slightly better than that steal of a deal for the Rams.

According to Ian Rapoport only two teams inquired about trading for Peters which leads me to believe the Packers weren't the other one.

Members online

Latest posts