Do you think...Capers & Co. could coach up Vernon Gholston if he was available?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vernon Gholston could be released and would be a very accessible player to add in 2011...probably for very cheap

Guys like Walden, Zombo, Francois have filled in @ OUTSIDE LINEBACKER...but it was suppossed to be Chillar & Poppinga

I'm not too excited about that spot on the Defense.

Now DC and Greene have done a GREAT job with the guys coming in @ the OLB position(along w/ all the other positions)...I think it's not too far fetched they could coach up someone who probably has all the tools to play the position, but maybe has never been "congruent" with any of the coaching staffs the JETS have had in his short career.

I'm thinking if Walden could be coached up to play so well, why couldn't a former 6th-overall-pick can be coached up to be better?

Pre-draft measureables Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic
6 ft 3 in 266 lb 4.58 s 1.53 s 2.63 s 4.40 s 7.12 s 41 in 10 ft 5 in 37 rep 21

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I don't know. The Jets just this last season actually developed some plays specifically geared towards getting this guy his first NFL sack, and he still couldn't do what he was drafted to do. :rotfl: He's a bust.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we could get him really cheap possibly. He does have special team experience. New scenery does some guys good.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. The Jets just this last season actually developed some plays specifically geared towards getting this guy his first NFL sack, and he still couldn't do what he was drafted to do. :rotfl: He's a bust.
hence the cost of picking him should be minimal

people thought charles woodson was at the end of his career @ oakland

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Considering how bad he's been he has no leverage money-wise.

If he came cheap I'd be thrilled about it. Lots of upside there.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I agree, the guy has ZERO chance of demanding a large contract...I think he has more upside the Shawn Merriman who is basically an injury mess and a USED TO BE...Gholston is healthy, young, cheap, & potentially available!

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible he could turn it around. If he's willing to work hard for cheap, why not give him a shot?

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't put much weight into your statement, that fat,big mouthed, tootsie luvin' slob in New York couldn't coach a thirsty horse to water...

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vernon Gholston could be released and would be a very accessible player to add in 2011...probably for very cheap

Guys like Walden, Zombo, Francois have filled in @ OUTSIDE LINEBACKER...but it was suppossed to be Chillar & Poppinga

I'm not too excited about that spot on the Defense.

Now DC and Greene have done a GREAT job with the guys coming in @ the OLB position(along w/ all the other positions)...I think it's not too far fetched they could coach up someone who probably has all the tools to play the position, but maybe has never been "congruent" with any of the coaching staffs the JETS have had in his short career.

I'm thinking if Walden could be coached up to play so well, why couldn't a former 6th-overall-pick can be coached up to be better?

Pre-draft measureables Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic
6 ft 3 in 266 lb 4.58 s 1.53 s 2.63 s 4.40 s 7.12 s 41 in 10 ft 5 in 37 rep 21

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I've been thinking about this too. Guys like Gholsten and Aaron Maybin were drafted in the high first round for a reason. They have great speed/size measurables. In theory, a good coach or coaches can bring the true potential out of these players.

Once their rookie contracts are expired and either player could be signed as a FA for CHEAP, why not take a flyer on one or the other.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this too. Guys like Gholsten and Aaron Maybin were drafted in the high first round for a reason. They have great speed/size measurables. In theory, a good coach or coaches can bring the true potential out of these players.

Once their rookie contracts are expired and either player could be signed as a FA for CHEAP, why not take a flyer on one or the other.
yes but they have to be motivated to want to win

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a different note, I think a big factor in Green Bay winning the Super Bowl was the low-key, humble nature of the players. Guys like Zombo and Walden worked because they were undrafted and had to prove themselves. Hell, CM3 is still proving people wrong for not offering him a colledge scholarship or letting him play for four years. ARod slid in the first round and rode the bench for 3 years.

If guys like Gholsten and Maybin come in humble, they may just end up producing.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hence the cost of picking him should be minimal.
people thought charles woodson was at the end of his career @ oakland
exactly.
james harrison was also cut 3 times before he blossomed into a man-beast for the steelers.

gholston is a total bust, no doubt about it.

but it doesn't have to be the end of the story.
like aj hawk and ryan pickett, he's a former buckeye 1st round pick.

he's for sure worth a shot. he could blossom, and then tt would make every other gm in the nfl get ripped on for not going after a premiere talent with no downside (cheap), and potentially huge upside.

the thing is, if gholston is a thug type, he would never be considered because tt seems to do a great job of bringing in good people more than any other team.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of person he is. But I would be surprised if he all of a sudden made an impact. I would rather go the Dolphins route and snag someone from canada if we are looking beyond the draft to get a pass rusher.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Well, if ya all get him, good luck. He just can't seem to get the hang of being a DE in a 3-4 defense. I don't think Capers would be interested in him. He'll end up on some team that sucks, where they are looking for anything that will at least make the fans say "Hey, the front office is trying..." ;)

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of person he is. But I would be surprised if he all of a sudden made an impact. I would rather go the Dolphins route and snag someone from canada if we are looking beyond the draft to get a pass rusher.

eh...not super interested in CFL players...

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think, regardless of how little it might cost, TT and company would have to do their homework on the guy. It seems that his work ethic is one of his biggest problems. Granted, you can change scenery but thst doesn't guarantee he will change. If he's lazy, it's not going to sit well with the other players and sooner or later going to create more problems than it's worth.

Latest posts