Divisional Round: Rams at Packers on the frozen tundra (Sat, 1/16 @4:35pm)

D

Deleted member 6794

That ranking is going to fluctuate depending on the source based on a couple factors-- what the viewer recognizes as an RPO, and whether they're ranking total number of plays, or percentage of total plays run. Ben Fennell had mentioned that by his count, the Packers were 2nd in the league.

Regardless, the point is that the Packers use RPO a lot more than the Rams.

I took the numbers from Pro Football Reference, which you can look up under the following link (you need to select play type and sort it based on RPO plays run).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/advanced.htm

I highly doubt Fennell has analyzed every snap from every team in the league to rank them accurately. In addition there's strong reason to believe that at least the Ravens and Cardinals run way more RPO plays than the Packers.

You're right about the Rams though as they're dead last in the category according to PFR as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I took the numbers from Pro Football Reference, which you can look up under the following link (you need to select play type and sort it based on RPO plays run).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/advanced.htm

I highly doubt Fennell has analyzed every snap from every team in the league to rank them accurately. In addition there's strong reason to believe that at least the Ravens and Cardinals run way more RPO plays than the Packers.

You're right about the Rams though as they're dead last in the category according to PFR as well.

I'm not trying to call your numbers into question Captain-- I'm merely explaining where I got mine and why they might be different.

EDIT: I take that back. I am calling those numbers into question. PFR has the Packers with only 51 total RPO plays in 2020. Just the eyeball test says that GB has used RPO more than three times per game.

Here's what I was referencing per The Athletic:

The RPO (run-pass option) is used heavily in Green Bay’s offense – 17.7 percent of the time during the regular season – trailing only the Chiefs. Adams led the NFL in receiving in RPO situations with 29 receptions for 200 yards and five touchdowns.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB 23
LAR 10

They will do little to nothing offensively. Their elite defense will force a turnover (more than likely a fumble of sorts) or make a special teams play or something that sets them up in our territory which leads to a TD. This will be a relatively easy win in a low scoring game.

Not a real student of the game, but isn't there only one kind of fumble? The player has possession, then drops it. :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to call your numbers into question Captain-- I'm merely explaining where I got mine and why they might be different.

EDIT: I take that back. I am calling those numbers into question. PFR has the Packers with only 51 total RPO plays in 2020. Just the eyeball test says that GB has used RPO more than three times per game.

I am curious as to what makes a run pass option. I would think you really would need a running QB for that. Otherwise it is just a play action. I guess RPO could be when a receiver comes from the outside for a handoff, but that does not happen anywhere near as often as say a RPO by Kyler Murray. So what are the boundaries between the two?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I am curious as to what makes a run pass option. I would think you really would need a running QB for that. Otherwise it is just a play action. I guess RPO could be when a receiver comes from the outside for a handoff, but that does not happen anywhere near as often as say a RPO by Kyler Murray. So what are the boundaries between the two?
I think you are mistaking a RPO for the read option. That is the running QB option to handoff or run. The RPO is more of a snap throw to the WR or handoff to the back. Not quite but similar. The QB decides based on what looks to be most successful against how the defense is aligned..

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are mistaking a RPO for the read option. That is the running QB option to handoff or run. The RPO is more of a snap throw to the WR or handoff to the back. Not quite but similar. The QB decides based on what looks to be most successful against how the defense is aligned..
OK...thanx. I have to say we use that play more than I would like. But it seems like he throws it so quickly that there is rarely a fake to the back. I guess the option part is if he decides not to throw it. Not too often imho

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the play much. It looses its effectiveness when used too often. Another play I don't like much is the fade to the corner of the endzone. Though I admit it works sometimes. Just hate to see it on 3rd or 4th down.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't like the play much. It looses its effectiveness when used too often. Another play I don't like much is the fade to the corner of the endzone. Though I admit it works sometimes. Just hate to see it on 3rd or 4th down.
I'm not a huge fan of the goal line fade myself, but it's interesting to dislike the RPO given how often the Packers utilize it, and how successful the offense has been as a result.

D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly have no idea how much RPO plays the Packers have used this season. It would be interesting to know where Fennell has his numbers from.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea how much RPO plays the Packers have used this season. It would be interesting to know where Fennell has his numbers from.

He is employed for various things by NFLN, ESPN, and The Athletic. So I wouldn’t know for sure, but I’m guessing all those guys have access to advanced statistics.

What does PFF say?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Interesting that we have the oldest QB matchup ever on the other side of the NFC, while having the youngest head coaching matchup in playoff history with McVay vs LaFleur in this game.

Youngest matchup since Shula/Madden in 1970.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is employed for various things by NFLN, ESPN, and The Athletic. So I wouldn’t know for sure, but I’m guessing all those guys have access to advanced statistics.

What does PFF say?

Fennell frequently gets the All-22 before a lot of other people. I think he has access to a lot better resources than most. He also puts a ton of film time in.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Fennell frequently gets the All-22 before a lot of other people. I think he has access to a lot better resources than most. He also puts a ton of film time in.

He also watches every single Packers snap every week for his film breakdown.

D

Deleted member 6794

Where's the "wow" facebook reaction when you need it? ;)

In all seriousness I'll miss some of the snippets.

We need a big eyed shock emoji.

My world has been turned upside down. I don’t even know what to believe any more.

I actually got tired of paying $200 a year and not receive every information they track. If I remember correctly information about RPO plays wouldn't have been accessible for me anyway.

Fennell frequently gets the All-22 before a lot of other people.

I usually get access to All-22 footage the day after a game via the NFL game pass. Unfortunately I hardly have enough time to watch any of it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the goal line fade myself, but it's interesting to dislike the RPO given how often the Packers utilize it, and how successful the offense has been as a result.
Yes, a good point. I just think use it less. And definitely watch out. That Ram corner (whoever he was) got his pick 6 on that play last week.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Quarterbacks with 11 or more postseason victories:

31 - Tom Brady
16 - Joe Montana
14 - Terry Bradshaw
14 - John Elway
14 - Peyton Manning
13 - Roethlisberger
13 - Favre
11 - Aikman
11 - Staubach

With a win today, Rodgers would join Aikman and Staubach with 11 wins. Some pretty elite company he would occupy with the 9 QB's listed above.

Members online

Latest posts