Did we let Dallas score with 1:13 remaining?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I watched that play where Prescott scored at the end and it just looked different. The blocks were easy, the pursuit was lackadaisical and the DL barely bothered to push back against their OL. Also nobody really seemed overly upset at allowing the TD neither on the field or the sideline. I really feel like they intentionally allowed Dallas to score. I mean the defense had been on the field a long time on that drive. It's 3rd and 2 and you're in 4 down territory. Logically, you know the odds of keeping them from getting 2 yards on 2 downs is minuscule. If they do get a first down before scoring, the odds are high that they end up scoring anyway and kill the remaining clock in the process. Knowing that Cowboys D is worthless, it gave us the perfect amount of time to march downfield comfortably and win the game. Teams do allow their opponents to score at times in these situation but rarely do they admit it. Given how perfectly it played out and the overall situation, I really think this was the case. Yes, the was the token tackle just as Prescott entered the end zone, but I do think you still hit the QB if the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really didn't see it that way. To me it looked like they expected Zeke to get the ball and were just completely caught off guard by the call.

It also would not make much sense to allow a TD on 3rd down when a stop forces them into another do or die 4th down conversion play. Had they intended to allow a score on that sequence I would have imagined they would have simply allowed the 2nd and 2 pass to the end zone to be complete. I can't imagine after forcing an incompletion there to take it to 3rd down that they would then decide at that point to purposely allow the score.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, they did not. Dallas had a great call, Brooks crashed way too hard to the middle. He should have tackled them at the exchange and caused a fumble :) But they all crashed on Zeke, who I now affectionately call the ***** ****ing fat faced woman beating ewok in constant need of feeding and beating, and left Dak a wide open run to the endzone. Great call by their offense. But GB did not "let" them score.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I watched that play where Prescott scored at the end and it just looked different. The blocks were easy, the pursuit was lackadaisical and the DL barely bothered to push back against their OL. Also nobody really seemed overly upset at allowing the TD neither on the field or the sideline. I really feel like they intentionally allowed Dallas to score. I mean the defense had been on the field a long time on that drive. It's 3rd and 2 and you're in 4 down territory. Logically, you know the odds of keeping them from getting 2 yards on 2 downs is minuscule. If they do get a first down before scoring, the odds are high that they end up scoring anyway and kill the remaining clock in the process. Knowing that Cowboys D is worthless, it gave us the perfect amount of time to march downfield comfortably and win the game. Teams do allow their opponents to score at times in these situation but rarely do they admit it. Given how perfectly it played out and the overall situation, I really think this was the case. Yes, the was the token tackle just as Prescott entered the end zone, but I do think you still hit the QB if the opportunity presents itself.

When I was watching, in my mind i was saying it may be better to to get the ball back and just let them score. Also if they score too fast they will give us a chance to tie with field goal and win with a td.

D

Deleted member 6794

You know, I watched that play where Prescott scored at the end and it just looked different. The blocks were easy, the pursuit was lackadaisical and the DL barely bothered to push back against their OL. Also nobody really seemed overly upset at allowing the TD neither on the field or the sideline. I really feel like they intentionally allowed Dallas to score.

There's absolutely no way the Packers let the Cowboys score leading by four points with under two minutes left.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they did not let them score,
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Maybe not. However, if they didn't, they should have. There was no way we were keeping them out of the endzone after being on the field 10 minutes and you have to give Rodgers a little time.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's put it this way. If Prescott had not scored when he did, chances were very low that we would have won that game. The coaches are smart enough to see that too. With the defense on the field for 9 minutes, what do you think the odds were of them from picking up 2 yards on 2 tries? Did you really think they were going to keep Elliot out of the end zone in 4 down territory? If there is ever a situation to do it, that would have been it. Again, I didn't that that is necessarily what they did yesterday, but it had a lot of similarities to plays where it was confirmed that they allowed the other team to score. Particularly, if you look at whomever it was that Witten was blocking, he didn't even make an attempt to get off the block and even though Prescott ran within about 2 inches of him, he didn't even make an attempt to grab at him.
I don't think they did it on this particular occasion for the reasons stated by others above, however, I'm sure there have been times when coaches have done this. I believe Holmgren admitted to having done it in the Superbowl against Denver claiming that it was a mistake at the time because he had gotta confused by what down it was...

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they did it on this particular occasion for the reasons stated by others above, however, I'm sure there have been times when coaches have done this. I believe Holmgren admitted to having done it in the Superbowl against Denver claiming that it was a mistake at the time because he had gotta confused by what down it was...
LOL You're right. I remember that. Not sure how you lose track of what down it is in the Super Bowl but I remember him saying something along the lines of "right decision, wrong time" which made not sense.

D

Deleted member 6794

There have definitely been examples of teams letting opponents score in a tied game or once a field goal would have given the other team the lead but there's no reason to do it being up by four points.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think they did, but even if Dallas runs the ball on 2nd & 1 which they absolutely should’ve I don’t have any doubt that McCarthy and co. let the Cowboys score after.

Rodgers still would’ve had over a minute. He just would’ve been without the time out. Ultimately the Dallas defense just isn’t good enough. Rodgers owns this football team. It’s frustrating, but you just have tip your hat to the guy.

99.9 percent of the quarterbacks lose that game with that amount of time left. Unfortunately for Dallas he is that .1 percent that won it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL You're right. I remember that. Not sure how you lose track of what down it is in the Super Bowl but I remember him saying something along the lines of "right decision, wrong time" which made not sense.

He got the down mixed up with the time his flight left for Seattle

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't believe they let them score but I'm glad the Cowboys did score when they did because there's no way we were going to keep them out of the end zone. That being said, I believe Dix did let score because he sure didn't put up any kind of fight when Witten was blocking him.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I was watching, in my mind i was saying it may be better to to get the ball back and just let them score. Also if they score too fast they will give us a chance to tie with field goal and win with a td.

I was convinced they'd score....thus I was happy when they got the TD with 1:13 remaining. Now, if I were Dallas I would've considered an onside kick...

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have definitely been examples of teams letting opponents score in a tied game or once a field goal would have given the other team the lead but there's no reason to do it being up by four points.

There is when the other team is in perfect position to run out the clock and score with only a few seconds left, especially on a 10 minute drive. Also especially when you can put the outcome of the game in Aaron Rodgers' hands.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't believe they let them score but I'm glad the Cowboys did score when they did because there's no way we were going to keep them out of the end zone. That being said, I believe Dix did let score because he sure didn't put up any kind of fight when Witten was blocking him.

No, he didn't. He pretty much let Witten walk him back without resistance and when Prescott ran within inches of him to get to the end zone, he didn't so much as reach for him. And then when the play was over, he didn't even respond as though it was anything to be concerned about, and that's more than a bit out of character for him. He's not Kevin Greene but he's usually a pretty fired-up kind of guy. Maybe he made a personal decision not to challenge the TD knowing that if he tackled Prescott on the 1 or 2 yard line, Dallas would almost definitely win. It could also be that they may have been told to try and stop them short of a first down but if they get the first to just let them take it all the way in. That might actually be the most reasonable interpretation of that play.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I don't know if GB allowed the score, but I know I was pleased to see it happen.

I rarely, if ever, cheer for a Dallas score against any team, but I did this time.

D

Deleted member 6794

There is when the other team is in perfect position to run out the clock and score with only a few seconds left, especially on a 10 minute drive. Also especially when you can put the outcome of the game in Aaron Rodgers' hands.

Once again there's no reason to let the other team score being up by four points, especially as it's extremely difficult to pull off a victory falling behind after the two minute warning has passed. While it seems a lot of Packers fans were extremely confident in the team scoring a touchdown it was actually the first time Rodgers pulled off a drive like that in his career without having to rely on a Hail Mary to win it. Overall it happened only 23 times in the entire league since the start of the 2011 season.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, he didn't. He pretty much let Witten walk him back without resistance and when Prescott ran within inches of him to get to the end zone, he didn't so much as reach for him. And then when the play was over, he didn't even respond as though it was anything to be concerned about, and that's more than a bit out of character for him. He's not Kevin Greene but he's usually a pretty fired-up kind of guy. Maybe he made a personal decision not to challenge the TD knowing that if he tackled Prescott on the 1 or 2 yard line, Dallas would almost definitely win. It could also be that they may have been told to try and stop them short of a first down but if they get the first to just let them take it all the way in. That might actually be the most reasonable interpretation of that play.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say but didn't do a good job of doing. I do believe Dix made a personal decision to let Dak score, and I thank him for it. There is no way an old man like Jason Witten should be able to manhandle Dix the way it looked like he did.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we did. If the Defence kept trying to stop them when Dallas would score there would not of been enough time for Rodgers to do anything.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we did. If the Defence kept trying to stop them when Dallas would score there would not of been enough time for Rodgers to do anything.
they would've just let dez catch it on 2nd down then. they needed a td and as jason garrett said "it's hard to score touchdowns in the nfl."

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say but didn't do a good job of doing. I do believe Dix made a personal decision to let Dak score, and I thank him for it. There is no way an old man like Jason Witten should be able to manhandle Dix the way it looked like he did.

It's true Clinton-Dix didn't give any effort to prevent Prescott from reaching the end zone. If the Packers truly let the Cowboys score in that situation it seems somebody forgot to tell Brice about it though.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's true Clinton-Dix didn't give any effort to prevent Prescott from reaching the end zone. If the Packers truly let the Cowboys score in that situation it seems somebody forgot to tell Brice about it though.
Yeah Clinton-Dix seemed to be the only guy on the field that didn't make an effort to stop Prescott, likely because he knew that by the time he could have made it to Prescott best case scenario would have been stopping the Cowboys on the 1 yard line. That would have greatly decreased the chances of the Packers winning the game, so I'm glad that he was clearly self aware enough to allow Prescott to score.

Members online

Latest posts