Did TT do the right thing with Flynn?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that Flynn is signed and back in his favorite number, 15, do you think TT made the right call by not franchising him and trying to trade him?

At this point to me it seems like yes. If we get a 3rd rounder next year I think we came out pretty well.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point to me it seems like yes. If we get a 3rd rounder next year I think we came out pretty well.
I read that based on his contract, it would more likely be a 4th round pick. I think part of the equation is performance, so its still may be up in the air.

It appears that there was a smaller market for Flynn than I thought. If SF loses out on all their QB options, the price may have escalated. But, I think looking at it now, TT did the prudent maneuver.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would've been screwed. Every team in need of a QB was waiting on Peyton before they made a move. We would've been left in the breeze. Nobody would've traded us until peyton signed. And that would have put us too far behind the curve to make anything happen.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea but if Alex smith signs with the Fins the 49ers may go to "oh ****" mode and traded us something crazy so they wouldn't be left with nothing. Oh well too late anyways >.<

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he made the right call. I hate the idea of losing Flynn but the fact remains we could not of kept him here forever. It wouldn't be fair to Flynn. If it wouldn't of happened this year, it would of happened next year. I look at it an inevitable choice and TT managed the situation to the best of the Packers advantage without ******** Flynn in the process.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea but if Alex smith signs with the Fins the 49ers may go to "oh ****" mode and traded us something crazy so they wouldn't be left with nothing. Oh well too late anyways >.<

Ted couldn't wait for that. He'd have had to have a deal in place before the tag deadline. And he wouldn't have had that deal, because all the teams were waiting on Peyton.

There was no choice. He didn't do the right thing. He did the only thing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As said, he did the only thing that a GM could do. The double scoop is knowing that TT doesn't take unnecessary risks. This whole discussion is moot.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it's a lose-lose situation....
If Flynn and the Seahawks beat us in a playoff game, then there may be some doubt that TT did the right thing.
On the other hand, if the Packers beat Flynn and the C-Hawks in a playoff game, I wouldn't help but feel a bit bad for him.
Oh well, that's the way it goes for a business which is dog-eat-dog competitive.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT really screwed up on this one. Would've been nice to have a $11mil backup qb. wooo! wooo!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the kings of hindsight are going to point fingers at Ted if Flynn has an awesome year and say, "You could have traded him!" but at this point it's important to point out that Ted did the only thing he could- Let him walk in free agency.

Without so much as a handshake deal in place, franchising Flynn would have been a huge risk. We ultimately saw a rather cold and soft market for Flynn's services, and as is evidenced by his contract, it's highly doubtful any team would have traded for that contract. Letting him walk was the only choice.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's hands were tied on this. He couldn't hold onto Flynn forever. Flynn in all likelihood will enjoy some success in Seattle but that is hardly the fault of TT letting go of a player that he couldn't or rather shouldn't hang onto. At least Flynn didn't go to a team within the division or a team that we would have to play a lot and likely meet in the playoffs. I think this is the best outcome for this situation for both Flynn and the Packers.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Can't blame TT for what is happening if anything we blame lesser SB wins, greedy Manning who corrupted Flynn's future, along with Kolb who was the failed Qb that was supposed to have a future.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Manning hadn't been cut loose, the Market would have been much different, and it would have been the wrong move, but with Manning in the Market...it schewed things a lot...

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted couldn't wait for that. He'd have had to have a deal in place before the tag deadline. And he wouldn't have had that deal, because all the teams were waiting on Peyton.

There was no choice. He didn't do the right thing. He did the only thing.

He didn't "need" to have anything in place. If 49ers end up scrambling for a starter if Smith leaves who knows what could of happened.. Maybe got at least a 3rd rounder for this year since it doesn't look like well get a 3rd round comp. pick next year, likely a 4th unless he plays like a stud. TT did surely the safest and maybe the smarter thing, but he did have another choice. I'm just excited to see Harrell as our #2 I think he'll be just as solid as Flynn was, maybe better :eek:

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't "need" to have anything in place. If 49ers end up scrambling for a starter if Smith leaves who knows what could of happened.. Maybe got at least a 3rd rounder for this year since it doesn't look like well get a 3rd round comp. pick next year, likely a 4th unless he plays like a stud. TT did surely the safest and maybe the smarter thing, but he did have another choice. I'm just excited to see Harrell as our #2 I think he'll be just as solid as Flynn was, maybe better :eek:

Ridiculous. Like anyone knew two weeks ago that Alex Smith might be leaving the Niners. Since you apparently have the ability to predict the future, perhaps you'd like to offer your gift of insight to the Packers front office?

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol I don't think I ever made that claim but nice try. If we franchised Flynn and the market sucked right away and we still had him when/if Alex Smith leaves that would of been an option. I'm NOT saying I called this whole scenario I'm saying it would of been interesting to see what would of happened.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO it doesn’t matter what Flynn does this season; Thompson had to make his decision based upon what the market was for Flynn this off season. If Flynn leads the Seahawks to the title or completely flops, how does that change what the trade market was for Flynn in early 2012? Many of us thought Flynn’s value was higher than it was. But it’s been reported that Flynn got $10M guaranteed. The tag amount was about $14.5M and no team was willing to pay him more than $10M guaranteed. If Thompson had tagged him and he signed the tender, Flynn may not have been willing to accept less guaranteed money for a chance to start. And the Packers would have been really stuck cap wise… IMO it’s now obvious Thompson made the right call and it may not have been as close a call as many of us thought if he and/or his staff had some pointed “hypothetical” conversations with the Dolphins, Seahawks, Browns, etc.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO it doesn’t matter what Flynn does this season; Thompson had to make his decision based upon what the market was for Flynn this off season. If Flynn leads the Seahawks to the title or completely flops, how does that change what the trade market was for Flynn in early 2012? Many of us thought Flynn’s value was higher than it was. But it’s been reported that Flynn got $10M guaranteed. The tag amount was about $14.5M and no team was willing to pay him more than $10M guaranteed. If Thompson had tagged him and he signed the tender, Flynn may not have been willing to accept less guaranteed money for a chance to start. And the Packers would have been really stuck cap wise… IMO it’s now obvious Thompson made the right call and it may not have been as close a call as many of us thought if he and/or his staff had some pointed “hypothetical” conversations with the Dolphins, Seahawks, Browns, etc.

Agreed!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol I don't think I ever made that claim but nice try. If we franchised Flynn and the market sucked right away and we still had him when/if Alex Smith leaves that would of been an option. I'm NOT saying I called this whole scenario I'm saying it would of been interesting to see what would of happened.

So slap the tag on him just in case something develops. Got it.

Again, too big of a risk to use the tag. Playing the "What If" game is moot. There were absolutely no signs the Niners and Smith weren't going to get a deal done until recently, well past the deadline. You don't franchise a player and risk paying him more than the reigning NFL MVP with the hope of trading him later.

mrmaxxx58

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Dolphins signed David Gerard. I think Smith will sign with the 49ers.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So slap the tag on him just in case something develops. Got it.

Again, too big of a risk to use the tag. Playing the "What If" game is moot. There were absolutely no signs the Niners and Smith weren't going to get a deal done until recently, well past the deadline. You don't franchise a player and risk paying him more than the reigning NFL MVP with the hope of trading him later.

ARE YOU KIDDING?!?! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY SHOULD'VE DONE!!!

-Matt Millen

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ARE YOU KIDDING?!?! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY SHOULD'VE DONE!!!

-Matt Millen

Right on Bozz! I wish Matt Millen was our GM so we could have done some kind of elaborate franchise tag and trade of a $11mil Flynn. That would have been... Genius! Pure Genius!

2 first rounders and a pile of cash... The market was there! Yeah, it was there!

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Ted did the right thing. Some commentators had a good point. Flynn stepped into an established offense full of stars and a proven system. When he did step in he looked great. He may have looked better than AR in the Detroit game. It will be interesting to see how well he does. I wish him well but time will tell how good he actually is.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts