despite weapons, offense needs another piece

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Murphy did a decent job protecting Rodgers' right side but I don't consider his performance to have been strong on Sunday. There's no reason to feel comfortable about any other backup currently on the roster though.

In describing it as strong, I meant relative to a guy making his first start against that pass rush.

Reaction score
In describing it as strong, I meant relative to a guy making his first start against that pass rush.
While Murphy was no mode of perfection, I think he began to get more comfortable as the game went on, he only got help on several occasions too. That real game experience against one of the better Defensive units was invaluable to his confidence. Getting some good film to help him improve will be a side benefit. If we recall, Corey Linsley started his career against Seattle at Seattle.. he also had a few errors and I specifically remember Aaron yelling at him.
Look at where Corey is now

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Look at where Corey is now
Rolling the ball back to the QB in a shot gun snap.:whistling:
OK everyone messes up now and then. One difference I noticed between Linsley and any of the backups is the time it takes for the ball to get to the QB. His snaps are on a line. The backups seem to float the ball on an arc. Possible 150-200 msec delay in the play starting.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think these ISO routes are going to hold us back again. We don't have the athleticism at receiver for them. They are all fine and dandy until we go against a defense in the playoffs who figures out how to stop them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Does that mean that Ted missed with all three of those RBs he picked?

It's way too early to come up with that conclusion as Williams, Mays and Jones combined to receive two touches and six snaps during the opener vs. Seattle.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's way too early to come up with that conclusion as Williams, Mays and Jones combined to receive two touches and six snaps during the opener vs. Seattle.
Agree that the jury has to wait quite awhile before delivering their verdict on those 3 RB's. Right now though, none of the 3 are building up much of a case to argue that they were great picks. The OL isn't providing much support either. The Packers are either going to have to incorporate their running game into a spread out pass formation to spread the defense out or find a back who can make his own holes. Not a whole lot there when the Packers line up in run formation and try to run it between the tackles.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Agree that the jury has to wait quite awhile before delivering their verdict on those 3 RB's. Right now though, none of the 3 are building up much of a case to argue that they were great picks. The OL isn't providing much support either. The Packers are either going to have to incorporate their running game into a spread out pass formation to spread the defense out or find a back who can make his own holes. Not a whole lot there when the Packers line up in run formation and try to run it between the tackles.
That move Williams made on his first run in the 4th quarter to allude one of the Seattle defenders (cannot remember which one), and turned a no gainer into a 5-6 yard gainer was pretty sweet. And he's shown an ability to make something happen with nothing at times. I'm cool with Montgomery being the #1 back, but I'm interested to see what Williams provides moving forward.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

I believe the offensive line struggling to block for the run will be continue to be the biggest obstacle to successfully run the ball going forward this season.

Sky King

Reaction score
I believe the offensive line struggling to block for the run will be continue to be the biggest obstacle to successfully run the ball going forward this season.
Add to that the injuries to the two starting tackles plus the #1 backup at LT and this team is going to need a lot of luck to survive the next few weeks. The backup positions were questionable to begin with -- featuring players with questionable talent, limited experience and maybe both. TT rolled the dice on good health and UDFA-D&D.

The Packers started out last season fairly strong at the starting DB positions and we all saw how injuries and associated poor play ultimately would doom them in the playoffs. This is looking all too familiar. In a left-handed way the OL situation is now at risk of mimicking that same misfortune. If either Bakhtiari or Murphy go down against Atlanta it's going to be a long game and maybe the precursor to an even a longer season. I'm hoping "Murphy's Law" will not prevail.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Add to that the injuries to the two starting tackles plus the #1 backup at LT and this team is going to need a lot of luck to survive the next few weeks. The backup positions were questionable to begin with -- featuring players with questionable talent, limited experience and maybe both. TT rolled the dice on good health and UDFA-D&D.

The Packers started out last season fairly strong at the starting DB positions and we all saw how injuries and associated poor play ultimately would doom them in the playoffs. This is looking all too familiar. In a left-handed way the OL situation is now at risk of mimicking that same misfortune. If either Bakhtiari or Murphy go down against Atlanta it's going to be a long game and maybe the precursor to an even a longer season. I'm hoping "Murphy's Law" will not prevail.
what do you expect from him? what hurts is 2nd year guys aren't looking that great, though Murphy did ok against Seattle. If we only had to use 1 guy on that line, we'd be fine. Not perfect, but ok. I think you're expecting a little much. You can't have starters as backups everywhere. and Tackles aren't cheap. even marginal ones are getting decent money if they have experience at all. and those guys are getting signed as starters by someone that doesn't have 2 already. and in GB you've made investments in 2 pretty good ones. We can't have both guys go down at the same time, but what do you expect if they do? you can't pay 5 million dollars a year for back up tackles and what would that get you? Most teams don't have 2 good tackles and now Ted is supposed to have 4 or 5 on the roster, because you know, the top 2 and the top back up are hurt already? I don't get it.

Sky King

Reaction score
what do you expect from him? what hurts is 2nd year guys aren't looking that great, though Murphy did ok against Seattle. If we only had to use 1 guy on that line, we'd be fine. Not perfect, but ok. I think you're expecting a little much. You can't have starters as backups everywhere. and Tackles aren't cheap. even marginal ones are getting decent money if they have experience at all. and those guys are getting signed as starters by someone that doesn't have 2 already. and in GB you've made investments in 2 pretty good ones. We can't have both guys go down at the same time, but what do you expect if they do? you can't pay 5 million dollars a year for back up tackles and what would that get you? Most teams don't have 2 good tackles and now Ted is supposed to have 4 or 5 on the roster, because you know, the top 2 and the top back up are hurt already? I don't get it.
Not an indictment of Kyle Murphy. Rather using his name as an opening to bring-up "Murphy's Law" as it applies to the Packers as a whole. You know, "If things can go wrong they will." That pretty much sums up the DB situation last year. It looks to me as though the OL is in a precarious situation this season. But thanks for the lecture defending TT, anyway.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on, i know what happened at DB last year, and if we lose House, Randal and Rollins for much of the year things won't look much different again. and if we had Shields, Tramon and Woodson and they all went down, they probably would be the same too. Now on to this year. you expect 4 deep at starting caliber tackle? or can you at least see that what you're asking is damn near impossible unless your draft picks work out. Murphy did a passable in his opening gig against a very good team. I hope to not to have to find out anymore.

If you want a lecture, I'll give you one LOL i thought some perspective might be needed, but I guess you don't need any. ****ing Teddy, get us 4 starting tackles and if 4 isn't enough GET US 5! o

Sky King

Reaction score
Come on, i know what happened at DB last year, and if we lose House, Randal and Rollins for much of the year things won't look much different again. and if we had Shields, Tramon and Woodson and they all went down, they probably would be the same too. Now on to this year. you expect 4 deep at starting caliber tackle? or can you at least see that what you're asking is damn near impossible unless your draft picks work out. Murphy did a passable in his opening gig against a very good team. I hope to not to have to find out anymore.

If you want a lecture, I'll give you one LOL i thought some perspective might be needed, but I guess you don't need any. ******* Teddy, get us 4 starting tackles and if 4 isn't enough GET US 5! o

When I was a kid my Dad would say to us kids on occasion, "You want to cry? "I'll give you something to cry about!" None of us ever wanted to find out what that "something" would be. The mystery of dread was enough.

So, I'm appealing to your kind nature: No more lectures, p-l-e-a-s-e. ;)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, RB is a wait and see proposition. The most likely final outcome will be, one makes it as a starting calibre RB, one becomes a career backup journeyman/role player, and one ends up washing out after a year or two. Those would be reasonable expectations. Short term, they are rookies and performance will likely be spotty and inconsistent like most of their other rookie peers in the NFL.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, RB is a wait and see proposition. The most likely final outcome will be, one makes it as a starting calibre RB, one becomes a career backup journeyman/role player, and one ends up washing out after a year or two. Those would be reasonable expectations. Short term, they are rookies and performance will likely be spotty and inconsistent like most of their other rookie peers in the NFL.

Agree with all your points. IMO, the tricky part is that they are all different kinds of backs, each with a different strength to bring to the table.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had expected more out of the rookie RBs, I had thought one would have stepped up and distinguished himself by now. My thinking was RB was a position that rookies can do well at. But I guess I was basing that on guys who were coming in behind a good blocking OL, which we don't have. So apparently I was wrong. McCarthy is probably slow to trust young players with the ball too, he doesn't like turnovers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

If you want a lecture, I'll give you one LOL i thought some perspective might be needed, but I guess you don't need any. ******* Teddy, get us 4 starting tackles and if 4 isn't enough GET US 5! o
Interesting analogy about Shields, Woodson and Williams. Didn't we have all 3 of those guys in 2011 when our pass defense stunk so bad? I still blame a lot of that mess on a pitiful pass rush.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had expected more out of the rookie RBs, I had thought one would have stepped up and distinguished himself by now. My thinking was RB was a position that rookies can do well at. But I guess I was basing that on guys who were coming in behind a good blocking OL, which we don't have. So apparently I was wrong. McCarthy is probably slow to trust young players with the ball too, he doesn't like turnovers.
It's tough to take the job away from Montgomery after the way he played last year. But GB's rookies had the fewest number of snaps of any team in the league in week 1. I believe Williams and King had 6 a piece (and people thought they weren't noticing King because he was doing a good job). I fully expect their workloads to increase, though it will be tough to gauge Williams' effectiveness on a few carries if he's going to get hit in the backfield or run into a brick wall on every play.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's tough to take the job away from Montgomery after the way he played last year.
Oh, I didn't think Montgomery would lose the #1 spot. But I thought someone would step up as a strong third down back, or that we'd have something closer to running back by committee. Maybe later in the year.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't think Montgomery would lose the #1 spot. But I thought someone would step up as a strong third down back, or that we'd have something closer to running back by committee. Maybe later in the year.

Problem with thinking that is that Montgomery is pretty much the ideal 3rd down back already.

I get thinking we'd have more of a RB by committee but this is a pass first offense so I'd expect the better receiving RBs to play the most, regardless of whether they plan on running it that play, and as it stands thats Montgomery by a mile.

The moment Montgomery goes down you'll see a RB by committee

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that there's absolutely no way to equivalently replace Bakhtiari or Bulaga with a backup let alone both of them. On the other hand it would definitely be possible for the Packers to have better quality depth at the tackle spots.