Derek Sherrod?

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
For a first round pick......whatever. I guess you have to trust in ted.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he sees the field, it will be late in the season. I have pretty much chalked up this season for him. Hopefully riding the pine a year will do him some good. Want to see what someone is made of? knock them down a few pegs, see how they respond.

I dont think I need to list all the players we have had that needed a year or more before they came into their own.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Probably do with him what we meant to do with bulaga last year prior to all those injuries. Sit him and let him learn.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im excited to see what Derek can do.
Based on preseason, I am not, but he was doing Guard duty then, and all indications are he's Clifton's replacement at LT. He's going to suit up now, due to injuries. LT is his natural position. They do have Dominguez on the practice squad as well, so it depends on progression on where Sherrod is. As good as he was in college, I would hope he would be ready for spot duty if called upon.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One would think a 1st round pick shouldnt be inactive..Was one thing said about him at the draft was he was smart? Or was that Cobb?

But kind of odd he isnt active..He must not be picking up the system like they hoped..

But I also heard he could wait a year and then play next year...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a natural LT; long, lean, and athletic. He was given a chance to compete for a starting spot because Mike and Ted truly believe that the 5 best players should be on the field. They gave him a chance to prove that he was one of the 5 best, and he was not. He didn't win the guard spot because he's not a guard, he's a tackle. His footwork and his body type would've made it a long shot to make the starting roster this year. So, he's doing what they drafted him to do; learn the LT.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was anyone else super worried about what would happen if Clifton or Newhouse got injured with Sherrod inactive? I guess we would put Dietrich-Smith in at guard and swing Lang out to tackle, but I was worrying about it for the rest of the game after Bulaga went down. I do not feel comfortable with only 7 active offensive linemen.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
They usually have 7 OL active on game day with one backup OT and a backup for the interior of the OL. I understand not liking that but they would leave themselves shorthanded elsewhere if they activate more OL. IMO they retarded Sherrod's development by putting him at LG. If Bulaga can't go vs. Denver he'll be active Sunday. I don't have any concerns at all about Sherrod at this point. I agree with bozz 2006 he's a true LT and I hope he'll have an entire season and OTAs, minicamps and TC to learn the position. IMO it took Thompson a long time to address the backup OT positions so I think it's fantastic the Packers have a capable backup in Newhouse and a player with the potential to replace Clifton's production at LT.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yep we should be good. Sherrod is a real smart cookie. He was thrown in to sink or swim out of position. He has had a couple of months worth of work with the line coaches now, so he might be more ready than we know. Also don't forget that Thompson has a roster spot he hasn't filled yet if things get really desperate for some reason. Newhouse handled Peppers, I don't know how much bigger a test you could give a backup coming off the bench. I noticed they started giving him help over there right off the bat.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was anyone else super worried about what would happen if Clifton or Newhouse got injured with Sherrod inactive? I guess we would put Dietrich-Smith in at guard and swing Lang out to tackle, but I was worrying about it for the rest of the game after Bulaga went down. I do not feel comfortable with only 7 active offensive linemen.

It couldnt be any worse than what happened to Pittsburgh the other night

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Tauscher should get a look if Bulaga struggles to come back from the injury. Sherrod was awful in training camp and in the preseason and I would be very worried if he had to play.

Members online

Latest posts