1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Derek Sherrod?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Pat4DaPack, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    Our 1st rd pick from Mississippi. Has he seen the field yet?

Edit: didnt see he was inactive, sorry.

2. Future12

Future12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Not in the regular season, at least not that I know of.

3. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    Yeah just saw he was inactive on Packers.com

4. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    He has been inactive all season.

5. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    Coming back soon?

6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    He's not gone. He's just not ready.
    They might still have to dress him anyway and hope Newhouse & Clifton last the whole game vs Denver.
    Tauscher might get another look.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    Oh ok, thanks for the info guys!

8. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    For a first round pick......whatever. I guess you have to trust in ted.

9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    If he sees the field, it will be late in the season. I have pretty much chalked up this season for him. Hopefully riding the pine a year will do him some good. Want to see what someone is made of? knock them down a few pegs, see how they respond.

I dont think I need to list all the players we have had that needed a year or more before they came into their own.

10. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    Don't forget the lockout probably slowed down his rookie learning curve. We will see a major improvement from him by next year guaranteed.

11. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    Im excited to see what Derek can do.

12. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    Probably do with him what we meant to do with bulaga last year prior to all those injuries. Sit him and let him learn.

13. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +206
    Based on preseason, I am not, but he was doing Guard duty then, and all indications are he's Clifton's replacement at LT. He's going to suit up now, due to injuries. LT is his natural position. They do have Dominguez on the practice squad as well, so it depends on progression on where Sherrod is. As good as he was in college, I would hope he would be ready for spot duty if called upon.

14. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    One would think a 1st round pick shouldnt be inactive..Was one thing said about him at the draft was he was smart? Or was that Cobb?

But kind of odd he isnt active..He must not be picking up the system like they hoped..

But I also heard he could wait a year and then play next year...

15. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    He's a natural LT; long, lean, and athletic. He was given a chance to compete for a starting spot because Mike and Ted truly believe that the 5 best players should be on the field. They gave him a chance to prove that he was one of the 5 best, and he was not. He didn't win the guard spot because he's not a guard, he's a tackle. His footwork and his body type would've made it a long shot to make the starting roster this year. So, he's doing what they drafted him to do; learn the LT.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Big E

Big E Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    Was anyone else super worried about what would happen if Clifton or Newhouse got injured with Sherrod inactive? I guess we would put Dietrich-Smith in at guard and swing Lang out to tackle, but I was worrying about it for the rest of the game after Bulaga went down. I do not feel comfortable with only 7 active offensive linemen.

17. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    They usually have 7 OL active on game day with one backup OT and a backup for the interior of the OL. I understand not liking that but they would leave themselves shorthanded elsewhere if they activate more OL. IMO they retarded Sherrod's development by putting him at LG. If Bulaga can't go vs. Denver he'll be active Sunday. I don't have any concerns at all about Sherrod at this point. I agree with bozz 2006 he's a true LT and I hope he'll have an entire season and OTAs, minicamps and TC to learn the position. IMO it took Thompson a long time to address the backup OT positions so I think it's fantastic the Packers have a capable backup in Newhouse and a player with the potential to replace Clifton's production at LT.

18. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Two words about Sherrod being innactive:

Marshall Newhouse.

• Like Like x 1
  19. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Yep we should be good. Sherrod is a real smart cookie. He was thrown in to sink or swim out of position. He has had a couple of months worth of work with the line coaches now, so he might be more ready than we know. Also don't forget that Thompson has a roster spot he hasn't filled yet if things get really desperate for some reason. Newhouse handled Peppers, I don't know how much bigger a test you could give a backup coming off the bench. I noticed they started giving him help over there right off the bat.

20. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    It couldnt be any worse than what happened to Pittsburgh the other night

21. Future

Future He did WHAT?

Ratings:
    +87
    Tauscher should get a look if Bulaga struggles to come back from the injury. Sherrod was awful in training camp and in the preseason and I would be very worried if he had to play.