Defense continues to improve...with takeaways!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JSOnline:

The first- and second-team offense, led by quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, respectively, took over at midfield or in the red zone and attempted to score. On four occasions, the defense caused a turnover, with interceptions by linebacker Nick Barnett, safety Marviel Underwood, tackle Jerome Nichols at the line and end Jason Hunter, who hauled in a pass that was tipped around first.

"That's something we need to improve on from last year, getting turnovers," Sanders said. "It just so happened we got a few today. Those things come in bunches. Our linemen got their hands up and we were positioned and made the plays."

Hodge has been with the Packers for every minicamp practice. Hodge, who last season averaged 13.2 tackles per game for Iowa to rank third in NCAA Division I, has picked up on the scheme quickly, Sanders said.

"He's a very smart player," Sanders said. "He's been well-coached in college, is an attention-to-detail guy."
-------------

I think this is key. Our Dline will be good(like last year), our LBs are improved, and our safeties should be solid. We also have possibly the best CB duo in the league. But none of that means ANYTHING if we dont generate more turnovers! last years D was statistically good in a lot of categories...except takeaways. I REALLY hope this is a sign of things to come...

And watch out for Hodge! HE knows what its about....being at EVERY CAMP he can be at. Watch out for that young man!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. The Pack had a lot of turnovers under Donatell, but it really dried up under Slowik, and even with Bates, the turnovers did not come, in spite of the defense's overall improvement. I'm hoping that Woodson stays healthy and plays to his potential. If our CB's can lock down the primary receivers most of the time, we should get more turnovers. Collins, Hawk, and Barnett are the players who may have the best chance of coming up with some turnovers.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Our Dline will be good(like last year),

I don't know if I would say that our D-line was good last year. I thought our lines were weak on both sides of the ball. I don't remember that many disruptive plays by the d-line... maybe it's my memory.

Either way though, I too believe that each group on D has improved this off-season (Line, LB's, 2ndary) We'll find out in a few months.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always question whether turnovers in practice are a good sign. Does it mean the D is getting better or that Favre and Rodgers are sucking?

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The D-line was solid last year, the weak linebackers with the exception of Barnett is what made the line look worse than they were.