Defence vs Offence

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should retain only 2 out of Nelson, Cobb and Adams and then re-invest the money in a defensive playmaker. Maybe a shutdown corner or a rusher.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We should retain only 2 out of Nelson, Cobb and Adams and then re-invest the money in a defensive playmaker. Maybe a shutdown corner or a rusher.

I think Adams is already a done deal, although he could be traded, but that wouldn't be the smart move IMO.

If you cut Nelson and/or Cobb, its just a matter of who takes their place and at what cost?

One thing people still need to remember, how long will it take for a replacement to get in sync with AR? The chemistry between AR and Nelson/Cobb has an inherent value to it. Just how much is anybody's guess.

Reaction score
I thInk you meant Clay? I’m not opposed to that one bit. I think we could get his successor at #14 and then spend up to 5M+- in FA for some depth at LB. Nigel Bradham?

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think Adams is already a done deal, although he could be traded, but that wouldn't be the smart move IMO.

If you cut Nelson and/or Cobb, its just a matter of who takes their place and at what cost?

One thing people still need to remember, how long will it take for a replacement to get in sync with AR? The chemistry between AR and Nelson/Cobb has an inherent value to it. Just how much is anybody's guess.

I would argue that there's significantly more of that "chemistry value" in Nelson than in Cobb.

Reaction score
I would argue that there's significantly more of that "chemistry value" in Nelson than in Cobb.
Agreed. Also Nelson’s agent may be more prone to a short term contract restructure due to Nelson’s age, which could in turn add more Cap savings. Whereas Cobb is still in his prime.
Jordy can slide into the slot where Cobb can’t do the inverse as effectively.
Monty is an option to play inside slot in the meantime.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, Cobb seems to be the odd man out, if we sign Nelson back for a lesser contract.

We have loads of pass catching option off the back now.
- Richard Rodgers is good
- Hands of Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams haven't been explored fully.
- TyM is back.

Plus we have Geronimo in the wings. We can afford to lose Cobb and maybe draft a WR early instead. Chemistry is just a matter of time and practice. Given time, I'm sure AR12 has the skills to lead the offence without Cobb.

Cobb's pay should be invested in a defensive playmaker. A good shutdown corner would be my preference. Probably draft a linebacker in #2 or #3 picks and that should give a lot of solidity to the defence.

I thInk you meant Clay? I’m not opposed to that one bit. I think we could get his successor at #14 and then spend up to 5M+- in FA for some depth at LB. Nigel Bradham?

I'd give Clay one season under the new DC. If Capers was the one holding them back, we should see better returns this season from the whole D, including Clay, Perry and the likes.

Reaction score
Yeah, Cobb seems to be the odd man out, if we sign Nelson back for a lesser contract.

- TyM is back.
I'd give Clay one season under the new DC. If Capers was the one holding them back, we should see better returns this season from the whole D, including Clay, Perry and the likes.
I’m not opposed to that either just throwing mud at the wall. Cobb is being underutilized and thus overpaid (not necessarily his own doing). It’s always a juggling act getting the best available talent on the field sort of like we did when we moved Clay to ILB.
We need to draft a WR early to develop and also a TE, there will be some great options in second day draft.
btw there’s a lot of folks throwing RR to the wolves. I think he can be a very productive veteran Backup for minimal cost while we rebuild.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

- TyM is back.

Plus we have Geronimo in the wings. We can afford to lose Cobb and maybe draft a WR early instead. Chemistry is just a matter of time and practice. Given time, I'm sure AR12 has the skills to lead the offence without Cobb.

Cobb's pay should be invested in a defensive playmaker. A good shutdown corner would be my preference. Probably draft a linebacker in #2 or #3 picks and that should give a lot of solidity to the defence.

I would argue that if we cut both Jordy and Cobb, we are very thin at WR. Sure, we have the bodies on the current roster, but not the talent.

The only way I would give Clay another season would be if he restructures or the Packers have no other options available to fill his shoes.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way you find a trade partner for Cobb is to renegotiate his contract. Otherwise, why would anyone want him at $9.5M on a 1 year deal?

Which I forgot to add; a 'sign and trade'. Although a team flush with room-hello SF or OAK- might take him as is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Which I forgot to add; a 'sign and trade'. Although a team flush with room-hello SF or OAK- might take him as is.

If Cobb would renegotiate and extend, I actually would love to see him stay in Green Bay, just not used as a RB. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really hate it when they line him up in the back field. I don't remember that ever being successful.

Early in his career it had some success. But either he has lost his abilities to pick up yards coming out of the backfield, defenses are ready for it or both.

Reaction score
I really hate it when they line him up in the back field. I don't remember that ever being successful.
Suuure. It’s the same series of play calls where were hell bent on throwing to him starting 5 yards behind the LOS, only to watch him get punished for -1. :tdown:

Members online

Latest posts