Deangelo Williams

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last time anyone inquired they said he wasnt available. Hopefully that has changed.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would you offer as trade bait?

Lemme guess- James Jones and a 4th. Don't you feel Carolina might feel that's a lowball offer for who could arguably be considered one of the top 5 RB's in the league?

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lemme guess- James Jones and a 4th. Don't you feel Carolina might feel that's a lowball offer for who could arguably be considered one of the top 5 RB's in the league?

yea but theyre going to be 0-6 after the weekend and deangelo is probably walking at the end of the year because its his last year under contract. if this deal were to ever happen, now is the time. but i still heavily doubt it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I actually think that would be high. I would do a 4th but no James Jones. Remember he is a free agent after this year anyways. If Moss gets a 3rd for the same situation I cant imagine Williams drawing the same or better.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're talking about a deal that's good for *us*, not necessarily them. Yes, his contract is over this year, but they can tag him at the end of the season and get a 1st and a 3rd for him (Or anything else they work out), so why would they take a 4th from us?

I know Moss was had for a 3rd. A lot of people are still questioning why the Pats took so little for him, but that's their deal. Doesn't mean Carolina would settle for less than premium for Williams.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the guy. Even if Carolina were openly offering him up for a trade, I don't see them taking less than premium value for him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're talking about a deal that's good for *us*, not necessarily them. Yes, his contract is over this year, but they can tag him at the end of the season and get a 1st and a 3rd for him (Or anything else they work out), so why would they take a 4th from us?

I know Moss was had for a 3rd. A lot of people are still questioning why the Pats took so little for him, but that's their deal. Doesn't mean Carolina would settle for less than premium for Williams.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the guy. Even if Carolina were openly offering him up for a trade, I don't see them taking less than premium value for him.

I cant see them pay him $6 million next season, so tagging him seems unlikely. at this point getting anything is good for them

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant see them pay him $6 million next season, so tagging him seems unlikely. at this point getting anything is good for them

Maybe, maybe not. They saved a ton of money when they moved Peppers, but who knows what they're thought process is. I know they also have Stewart and Sutton, and I know Stewart is pretty good. No idea how Sutton is doing though.

My thought is they're obviously in a rebuilding period. Draft picks at this point are probably more coveted than players, especially when you can get premium picks for good players.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
A fan wrote that artice. "For Fans, By Fans"

I could write an article about how we could trade for Brett Favre, would you guys believe it just because it's on the internet?

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. They saved a ton of money when they moved Peppers, but who knows what they're thought process is. I know they also have Stewart and Sutton, and I know Stewart is pretty good. No idea how Sutton is doing though.

My thought is they're obviously in a rebuilding period. Draft picks at this point are probably more coveted than players, especially when you can get premium picks for good players.

The Panthers will have to pay DeAngelo Williams next year (and wont do it) and Jonathan Stewart the next (they will) they won't invest that much money in 2 RB's when their team is in dire need of much more. Steve Smith is on his way out the door as well, James Jones would be a solid pickup, and a 4th round pick? IMO thats a lot of value for a team in Carolinas position. They won't play for this season anyways, so it makes no sense to not take a starter and a pick instead of getting absolutely nothing. Thats why the Pats traded Moss.. They got something from him instead of nothing.

That said, I would be shocked (happily shocked) if TT did this (or anything else for that matter) because he is simply too stubborn and stupid to do.

**Cue TT backers now...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From my understanding, Deangelo is a pretty good guy. I would support us acquiring him, and I wouldn't be afraid to go up to a 3rd plus a conditional pick the next year. I haven't seen him run this season, I am assuming he still looks pretty good. Carolina has a worse line than the Packers and he should do better for us (we also have a threat of a pass offense).

I hope TT does this move, but I wouldn't be upset if he didn't.

Reaction score
If we could get Deangelo Willams with a third that would be insane. He is a top 5 back easy. All cariolina has is a running game. So they are stacking the box against them. He can also help us out in the pass game he is a great receiving back

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have some kind of insight into the Panthers organization that we don't know about, or are you merely speculating that they won't re-sign him.

I'm not saying they will or won't, but a case could be made to keep him. They're currently $25 Million under what many think would be the 2010 salary cap of $135 Million, so they could easily re-sign him if they choose to.

I agree the simplest answer is they don't. Being that this is an uncapped year, they could have easily signed him to an extension and front loaded his payments. I suppose there's still time to do that and still have his salary hit this year, but since they haven't already, I agree it's not likely they do. But they have the money if they wanted to.

Topper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're probably right arman34, but let us dream! I think one of the best ways to stop the bleeding of this franchise right now, bring some positive news and get into the playoffs is to acquire DWill. I'm in the minority but I like TT philosophy, except for this kind of crap....he needs to make a move or the season is done! A stronger running game, where defensive have to game plan for and fear would take the pressure off of Arod, who definitely needs it. Not to mention give the defense more rest, stop the deep cover 2 and open up the passing game (Jennings) . This is a must trade and if it doesn't get done I may give up. I would give them as high as a 2nd rounder if we could sign him for 3 years as well. Imagine a Grant & Dwill combination next year. TT get this done to save our season and the long-term aspirations to be a dynasty!!!!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep dreaming. Per Adam Schefter, Carolina is NOT trading him. Besides, another starting RB is the least of our worries at the moment.

Chad (North Carolina)

Have you heard any noise out of Carolina regarding possibly trading DeAngelo Williams? I know publicly they have to say there is no interest to do so, but behind the scenes and given that Williams' will leave after the season, doesn't it make a lot of sense for them to move him? They have Stewart and Goodson already to replace him as well.
Adam Schefter (2:34 PM)

Let's make this simple, Chad. The Panthers are not trading DeAngelo Williams. At least two teams have called Carolina to see if he would be available. They were told exactly what I'm telling you: No. Not happening. Williams, despite the fact that his contract will be up after this season, is not leaving Carolina now. And after this season, if the two sides can't get a long-term deal done, I'd guess Carolina franchises Williams before he could become a free agent.

Chat: Chat with Adam Schefter - SportsNation - ESPN

Members online

Latest posts