De’Vondre Campbell

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drue was a Domer and therefore I saw a TON of him in college. You guys essentially have hit everything on him...I don't believe he will ever give you an elite level year, but I also don't think you're ever going to be thinking he needs replaced ever either. He's that perfect 7/7.5 out of 10 floor type guy that makes teams successful. He is a high level tackler, great athleticism but it doesn't always show in his coverage skills. He took a $3M one year deal last year with the Chiefs...I kinda bet he feels it is a good place to set up shop, but then again maybe he is a guy you toss a two or three year "decent" deal at. I prefer Baker from Miami, but imagine a world where you turn the post june Campbel cut $10M into those two guys....

For an athletic comp from this year's draft:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any predictions what the Packers do with Campbell? On 3/15 his $2.9M roster bonus kicks in. I don't see the Packers letting that happen, unless they are either restructuring the deal or planning on keeping him on the team.

If they release him in the next 8 days and declare him a post 6/1 release, his cap hits are:

2024 Dead Cap: $3,657,000
2025 Dead Cap: $7,971,000

That's a big chunk of cap, especially in 2025.

However, if nothing is done, he will be a $14,230,532 cap hit this season and STILL have $7,971 if dead cap going into next season.

As I type this, I can't imagine the Packers keeping Campbell. His play has declined and throwing good money at bad money isn't what should be done here.

Only chance of keeping him is a full restructure, with the idea that if he is healthy and playing in a new system, he is a much better player than we have seen in the last 2 seasons. Even with a restructure, the Packers have way too much cap on the books for a vet that appears to be going downhill.
I think they keep him one way or another.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read that Gute wants both Runyon and Campbell back. That's a bit disappointing to me. You don't recycle the same guys who aren't good enough or the same team that isn't good enough, you get better. In the case of Runyan and Campbell, you need to and can get better..

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read that Gute wants both Runyon and Campbell back. That's a bit disappointing to me. You don't recycle the same guys who aren't good enough or the same team that isn't good enough, you get better. In the case of Runyan and Campbell, you need to and can get better..
Runyan isn’t gonna cost much at all and in all likelihood will be a quite minimal level. I’d much rather he over Rhyan be your starting guard.

I still think a draft pick may make whomever the back up anyways.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree. I'd like to have both in the depth. I don't expect rookies could beat out either one of them.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Runyon wants a starting job somewhere, and he didn't switch agents to Drew Rosenhaus because he's interested in any kind of a team-friendly deal with Green Bay. I know Runyon and the Packers would prefer to work something out where he stays, but it seems pretty likely that there'll be at least one team willing to pay him more than we consider him worth. If someone offers him 3 years at $5-6 million, we won't match that.

I read ysterday that the Eagles are already interested. They're reshuffling their whole O-line to adjust for Kelce's retirement, and the right guard spot appears open.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Runyon wants a starting job somewhere, and he didn't switch agents to Drew Rosenhaus because he's interested in any kind of a team-friendly deal with Green Bay. I know Runyon and the Packers would prefer to work something out where he stays, but it seems pretty likely that there'll be at least one team willing to pay him more than we consider him worth. If someone offers him 3 years at $5-6 million, we won't match that.

I read ysterday that the Eagles are already interested. They're reshuffling their whole O-line to adjust for Kelce's retirement, and the right guard spot appears open.
I actually took the switch to DR as a good sign. Aaron Jones is also repped by him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are quite a few teams with garbage OL's (Giants, Bears, Carolina, Washington, Denver) that could be upgraded. Runyan will find a new home where he's wanted.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually took the switch to DR as a good sign. Aaron Jones is also repped by him.
Yes, that's true, and I think he has another client who's also a key player on our roster. Can't recall who it is at the moment, but I recall when I read it, I noticed it was a player who seemed to be making a reasonable figure for his market value. Hopefully I'm remembering that detail correctly, because it somewhat matters in the context of this discussion.

But one difference (IMO) is that with Jones and the other player, they're getting paid, true.... but they're not overpaid relative to the market. Green Bay probably had no real problem agreeing with the proposed numbers, because they understand that it was fair value. So it was easy for the Packers to keep those players, because both sides knew it was unlikely anyone else was going to pay significantly more.

I think Runyon's situation is different. I can't estimate what his fair market value is, because that's over my head. But somewhere, there is a range of numbers that would be widely accepted as Runyon's fair market value, and Green Bay is going to be starting from that number. But Rosenhaus' job is to act in the best interests of his client and get the best deal available, and I think there's a really good chance that he'll find at least one team that is wiling to pay well above that figure because they think Runyon's worth the gamble; that he may be a key piece in solving their O-line problem.

And it would only take one of those teams to make it very difficult for Green Bay (starting from "X" million dollars) to get within range of what Runyon may be offered by someone else. Because Green Bay is probably never going to see him as a "key piece" - we see him as a backup, a depth player, someone who can play a role but we're not counting on him to move us to the next level. We're never going to outbid a team that sees him as a serious need, rather than insurance.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, I'd love to be a fly on the wall for a private conversation between Rosenhaus and Russ Ball. Irresistible force meets immovable object.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There are quite a few teams with garbage OL's (Giants, Bears, Carolina, Washington, Denver) that could be upgraded. Runyan will find a new home where he's wanted.
Plus about 5-6 more teams now. It's an annual problem putting together and keeping together decent offensive lines in the NFL.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus about 5-6 more teams now. It's an annual problem putting together and keeping together decent offensive lines in the NFL.
Which is why I believe it is a position that continually needs to be addressed via the draft. And this year seems to be a good year to start doing that. Having some good run blockers is going to help out Jordan Love more than anything else at this point. imho

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Which is why I believe it is a position that continually needs to be addressed via the draft. And this year seems to be a good year to start doing that. Having some good run blockers is going to help out Jordan Love more than anything else at this point. imho
As it has been in a very big way with 9 draftees in the last 4 years. I doubt any other team in the league has drafted more offensive linemen in the last 4 years.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As it has been in a very big way with 9 draftees in the last 4 years. I doubt any other team in the league has drafted more offensive linemen in the last 4 years.
Well, I do like that we have drafted that many. But you, imho have to keep the washing machine going. You have to each year cut out the bad or mediocre picks. And we have not done all that well with that imo. We have Nijman, Newman, Meyers, Runyon and Rhyan with Maybe Jenkins regressing for some reason. Not a batch that is the envy of the league. Who knows about Caleb Jones and so a 3rd tackle seems prudent also. That is why I say every year. I don't like the idea of picking late round picks and hoping they get better. If we are going to pick em late, so be it, but start letting them really try and beat out the dead weight. And sometimes like probably Meyers it's just a good idea to go for someone else. See who sticks. Keep the competition going. I don't think we can say, hey, we picked a bunch of O linemen and now we are going to give them a couple years and see how they work out. So I think we have to keep drafting them. Also, because once you do get a good say OT; they get very expensive when the original contract is up.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drue was a Domer and therefore I saw a TON of him in college. You guys essentially have hit everything on him...I don't believe he will ever give you an elite level year, but I also don't think you're ever going to be thinking he needs replaced ever either. He's that perfect 7/7.5 out of 10 floor type guy that makes teams successful. He is a high level tackler, great athleticism but it doesn't always show in his coverage skills. He took a $3M one year deal last year with the Chiefs...I kinda bet he feels it is a good place to set up shop, but then again maybe he is a guy you toss a two or three year "decent" deal at. I prefer Baker from Miami, but imagine a world where you turn the post june Campbel cut $10M into those two guys....

For an athletic comp from this year's draft:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Tranquil re-signed with KC so is no longer an option. 3yr/$19mil deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tranquil re-signed with KC so is no longer an option. 3yr/$19mil deal.
Saw that and kind of figured they would try to keep him. We might see that (resigning with old team) with a lot of the higher end Free Agents, maybe even our own (Runyan and Nixon). Seems like feet have to be put to the fire before some people make up their minds.

Reaction score
While thats probably true, only 4/9 remain under contract. 2 more of 10 players (Bak) on our Roster may be gone after this season or next (Myers). So while in the past we’ve done good stocking the shelves, it’s now imperative we get a couple either in FA or Draft or both.
I see us adding at minimum 2 OL in the draft and possibly a 3rd either through the draft or FA

I’m ok with keeping Devondre if he does a restructure. Otherwise? I’m not at all afraid to grab a LB earlier in the draft and a second one in the latter part of the draft #168,#206,#216 etc) or FA

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While thats probably true, only 4/9 remain under contract. 2 more of 10 players (Bak) on our Roster may be gone after this season or next (Myers). So while in the past we’ve done good stocking the shelves, it’s now imperative we get a couple either in FA or Draft or both.
I see us adding at minimum 2 OL in the draft and possibly a 3rd either through the draft or FA

I’m ok with keeping Devondre if he does a restructure. Otherwise? I’m not at all afraid to grab a LB earlier in the draft and a second one in the latter part of the draft #168,#206,#216 etc) or FA
Actually 5 of those picks are currently under contract. I'd expect two OL to be drafted. One in the front half and one in the last 3 rounds. I have no idea how they feel about Tenuta, Telfort and Jones. I think if Newman gets cut before free agency begins, it is likely a sign they'll try to get Runyon back for IOL insurance.

Edit: I'm working under the assumption that Bakhtiari is not going to be on the team.

Reaction score
Actually 5 of those picks are currently under contract. I'd expect two OL to be drafted. One in the front half and one in the last 3 rounds. I have no idea how they feel about Tenuta, Telfort and Jones. I think if Newman gets cut before free agency begins, it is likely a sign they'll try to get Runyon back for IOL insurance.

Edit: I'm working under the assumption that Bakhtiari is not going to be on the team.
That might be what they are thinking. Either that or using Newman as the insurance policy and just walking away from Runyon in search of his replacement. I like Jon, but he had a rough year and I’m not sure he’s not already near Ceiling. We shall know shortly as many puzzle pieces will come together in a few days.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts