De’Vondre Campbell

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed him during the Lions game. He's a very good linebacker and a definite upgrade that we've needed for YEARS.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Another DeVondre Campbell appreciation post. He has been consistently the best defensive player through the first four games of the season. With Ty Summers or Oren Burks next to him, his presence was not lost. Find a way to pay this guy NOW. I think the longer we wait, the higher the price tag.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another DeVondre Campbell appreciation post. He has been consistently the best defensive player through the first four games of the season. With Ty Summers or Oren Burks next to him, his presence was not lost. Find a way to pay this guy NOW. I think the longer we wait, the higher the price tag.
As much as I agree with this sentiment I also think Gute will do everything he can to keep as much flexibility as possible with future contracts. There are only 39 players under contract for '22 right now, and all but 6 have contracts where there is some salary cap savings if they are traded or cut. I don't think Gute will pigeon-hole himself by signing Campbell long term limiting available $$ that might be used to keep a more-high-priority vet.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I agree with this sentiment I also think Gute will do everything he can to keep as much flexibility as possible with future contracts. There are only 39 players under contract for '22 right now, and all but 6 have contracts where there is some salary cap savings if they are traded or cut. I don't think
If Campbell continues to play like he does right now, there arent many players with a higher priority next offseason. Packers finally have a good ILB. Someone that helps the defense in a way no one did for the last 10 years. I am not saying give him all the money but dude is an important piece of this defense and makes it so much better.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Campbell continues to play like he does right now, there arent many players with a higher priority next offseason. Packers finally have a good ILB. Someone that helps the defense in a way no one did for the last 10 years. I am not saying give him all the money but dude is an important piece of this defense and makes it so much better.

While I agree I'd love to see us resign him, Barnes played excellently last year and has done well this year. They do make the PERFECT pairing in my opinion...but to say there is not other higher priority this next offseason is very very tough for me to swallow.

We've been one of the best teams in the entire NFL the last ten years with the ILBs we've had - which many tend to believe is equivalent with the **** layer on the bottom of a septic tank if you believe them...so why would that position be cause for concern more than WR - where literally the only guy of substance that has a contract is Cobb, whose contract is ludacrisly high for his age and use.

Or how about CB - where we are set to lose Sullivan, Yiadam, and King - essentially our #3/#4 (if you are with the crowd of saying Stokes is our #2) CBs in a passing league, plus Yiadam who is past starter in reserve and does well on STs.

Some might even argue the following:

Or TE also, Tonyan deal is up, Dafney and Lewis's contract is like Cobbs' - inflated beyond reasonable number IMO.

Or the OL - with Patrick, Nijman and Kelly (main three reserves presently) being up. BUT I argue this is becoming less of an issue with Nijman a ERFA and not UFA - and these games of experience are showing he is 100% worth keeping around.

D

Deleted member 6794

As much as I agree with this sentiment I also think Gute will do everything he can to keep as much flexibility as possible with future contracts. There are only 39 players under contract for '22 right now, and all but 6 have contracts where there is some salary cap savings if they are traded or cut. I don't think Gute will pigeon-hole himself by signing Campbell long term limiting available $$ that might be used to keep a more-high-priority vet.

The most important thing to look at is that the Packers have allocated a total of $248 million of cap space to those 39 players under contract for next season, resulting in them having to create a significant amount of cap space to even get under the cap. Therefore re-signing a player to add to that number at this point might not be a smart approach.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
If De’Vondre Campbell did not play today, the Packers would not have won. That is all.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As long as he continues playing this well, he will go down as a great signing by Gute. Wasn't nearly as costly as some FA's and is definitely giving the Packers something they lacked for way too many years in the middle of the defense.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as he continues playing this well, he will go down as a great signing by Gute. Wasn't nearly as costly as some FA's and is definitely giving the Packers something they lacked for way too many years in the middle of the defense.
He's already a great signing. I never expected it based on how much money he's making and I did not know him. But no matter grades; I think our D is tougher and better when both he and Barnes are on the field together.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So little rumor on De'Vondre Campbell has folks swirling with speculations...

He posted on his instagram what appeared to be a current photo of Lambeau field and some "eyes" hinting at lookout for what is happening...

Now this could be he was in town to see IF something could be done NOT that something was getting done. Although either way appears some of the BIG discussions are happening (Zadarius clearly having been told he is gone...now this...)

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He posted on his instagram what appeared to be a current photo of Lambeau field and some "eyes" hinting at lookout for what is happening...

Now this could be he was in town to see IF something could be done NOT that something was getting done. Although either way appears some of the BIG discussions are happening (Zadarius clearly having been told he is gone...now this...)
Multiple reports that they are close to a multi year deal. Hope it’s the case sounds like it is

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

At the right price, he would be my #1 target to resign. Obviously, everyone wants Davante back, but I just don't see paying any WR that kind of money.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the right price, he would be my #1 target to resign. Obviously, everyone wants Davante back, but I just don't see paying any WR that kind of money.

I'm not paying ANY WR that type of money. That type of money better be a QB, high level OT or a shut down CB only.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Multiple reports that they are close to a multi year deal. Hope it’s the case sounds like it is

However if all the reports are true, he did not leave GB Sunday with a deal which apparently is a "big/small deal" in that the voided years will hit...so apparently these voided years can be avoided or reworked @captainWIMM in some capacity if stories like this one https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/packers-did-not-re-sign-all-pro-lb-devondre-campbell are true. I only tagged you Captain because I know you and I both shared the confusion as to how those years are handled in future years should a player with them be resigned/extended before league year ends or apparently some deadline passes as it seems occurred with Campbell.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However I question that reporters knowledge as he lists Krys Barnes as on the roster which isn't true seeing as he is also a FA

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not paying ANY WR that type of money. That type of money better be a QB, high level OT or a shut down CB only.
I doubt I would pay that kind of money to a CB or OT. I love Bahk, but look what happens when you tie up that kind of money in a LT. Maybe if you had an average paid QB, you can spend more on your stud(s) at other positions. Getting too cap heavy with 2-4 players making up much of that cap, just doesn't seem like a way to build a team with both depth, as well as a team you are able to keep together for very long.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt I would pay that kind of money to a CB or OT. I love Bahk, but look what happens when you tie up that kind of money in a LT. Maybe if you had an average paid QB, you can spend more on your stud(s) at other positions. Getting too cap heavy with 2-4 players making up much of that cap, just doesn't seem like a way to build a team with both depth, as well as a team you are able to keep together for very long.

Oh I don't disagree. And I'm talking more so if I had cap space and securing a LT or shutdown CB for a year deal at such a tag I'd do it, but man it would be tough to convince me to do - roster would have to be solid with young talent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh I don't disagree. And I'm talking more so if I had cap space and securing a LT or shutdown CB for a year deal at such a tag I'd do it, but man it would be tough to convince me to do - roster would have to be solid with young talent.
Much like I love Jaire, but we seem to have a really good CB in Stokes, on a rookie deal for 3-4 more years. If Jaire wants top 5 CB money, I'm weighing in his shoulder injury and the Packers cap situation, as well as what mode they are in (win now VS rebuild).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like I love Jaire, but we seem to have a really good CB in Stokes, on a rookie deal for 3-4 more years. If Jaire wants top 5 CB money, I'm weighing in his shoulder injury and the Packers cap situation, as well as what mode they are in (win now VS rebuild).
His shoulder injury is the sole reason if Rodgers is leaving I may hold tight on no extension and pay him the massive increased hit he has this year $13M....see how well he is doing and extend him even in season if good to go.

Staff online

Members online