Davon House taking his leadership role seriously

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...ffseason/758fb292-ec0c-408b-adb9-cbae204747ec

Interesting read. I sure hope that he continues to take the same initiative throughout the season. Though I'm skeptical that our secondary is good enough to get us a Super Bowl this year, veteran leadership could really motivate these guys to work even harder and push each other more.

When Shields went down, it was obviously a huge loss in the talent of the secondary unit, but not having his veteran presence out there I think had a huge impact on those younger guys.

I don't think Thompson has added enough, but even though this might be a puff piece, it's encouraging to know that he's doing more than what is required of him to make a difference.

Reaction score
Davon brought a good attitude back with him, makes me want to see him excel this year even more.
I thought it funny how at the end of talking about how Davon took initiative to get back to practice Joe Whitt was like"I wouldn't have done that"!! :roflmao:Hilarious

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well, I hope he backs up his confidence with good playing. Either way, we have enough for the super bowl. imho
I hope like hell you are right about that. But my hesitation to believe in that will remain until this defense shows that it can at least put up a fight against an Atlanta level offense.

All Rodgers needs is an offense that doesn't turn the ball over, and a defense that gets him a few timely stops. He has proven that he can and will take care of the rest.

Look at the Atlanta game. He did his part for the team to be in a 10-10 tie. Crosby misses the kick, Rip fumbles the ball. And the defense got shredded to the tune of 44 points.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bringing House back was a no-brainer.

I'm not expecting a TON from him, but he had a pretty solid season in 2015. I'll take some good plays here and there.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's great that House is taking his leadership role seriously but unfortunately I don't believe he's capable of backing it up with his play.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know House isn't a #1 CB by now. But he is experienced and brings a physical aspect we need more of. Also think he is capable of another 60 tackle 4INT season. Can't say that wouldn't help our defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

We all know House isn't a #1 CB by now. But he is experienced and brings a physical aspect we need more of. Also think he is capable of another 60 tackle 4INT season. Can't say that wouldn't help our defense.

In my opinion House is a decent backup cornerback but I don't feel confortable about him starting all season long.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Shields went down, there was a notable lack of a veteran presence among the cornerbacks. House can certainly help with that as well as providing some solid though not spectacular corner play himself. I expect GB's secondary to be better, and find myself less concerned with that unit than I am with the linebacking corp.

D

Deleted member 6794

When Shields went down, there was a notable lack of a veteran presence among the cornerbacks. House can certainly help with that as well as providing some solid though not spectacular corner play himself. I expect GB's secondary to be better, and find myself less concerned with that unit than I am with the linebacking corp.

I'm still worried about the cornerback position entering this season, especially as you mentioned with the pass rush being a question mark as well.

Reaction score
Well, I hope he backs up his confidence with good playing. Either way, we have enough for the super bowl. imho
I hope ur right. I still think we're 1 more year of Defensive seasoning away from homefield throughout. Until we can form a top 8 or so Defense in scoring, it will be necessary to go through other stadiums in postseason and win which will increase the level of difficulty extensively. I hope these young guys surprise us tho, I think this year is our Defense being primed for next year's overdrive gear

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope ur right. I still think we're 1 more year of Defensive seasoning away from homefield throughout. Until we can form a top 8 or so Defense in scoring, it will be necessary to go through other stadiums in postseason and win which will increase the level of difficulty extensively. I hope these young guys surprise us tho, I think this year is our Defense being primed for next year's overdrive gear
Imo, we're less vulnerable than all other NFC teams to having a lost year due to slump or injuries. I think we are only vulnerable to another NFC team where everything goes well for them and they hit top stride at the right time. I think we are the safest bet in the NFC to show up in the conference championship game. Just like the Patriots are perenially that team in the AFC.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still worried about the cornerback position entering this season, especially as you mentioned with the pass rush being a question mark as well.
Just the opposite with me. If the pass rush is consistently good, I think our corners will do fine.

D

Deleted member 6794

Imo, we're less vulnerable than all other NFC teams to having a lost year due to slump or injuries. I think we are only vulnerable to another NFC team where everything goes well for them and they hit top stride at the right time. I think we are the safest bet in the NFC to show up in the conference championship game. Just like the Patriots are perenially that team in the AFC.

In my opinion the Packers will once again be vulnerable against elite offenses, possibly resulting in coming up short of winning the Super Bowl because of it once again.

Just the opposite with me. If the pass rush is consistently good, I think our corners will do fine.

I highly doubt the pass rush will be consistently good this season though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I highly doubt the pass rush will be consistently good this season though.
I take comfort in the fact that there are plenty of teams with offensive line problems and the 17 draft probably did not do much to help that. Also, I think a healthy Matthews, and up and coming youth like Clark, Lowry and Fackrell is likely to produce better results.

D

Deleted member 6794

I take comfort in the fact that there are plenty of teams with offensive line problems and the 17 draft probably did not do much to help that. Also, I think a healthy Matthews, and up and coming youth like Clark, Lowry and Fackrell is likely to produce better results.

I truly wish that I could share your optimism about the Packers pass rush entering this season.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Matthews & Perry, when healthy, are pretty good. The problem is that they're very often not healthy, and the depth (Elliott, Fackrell, & Biegel) isn't reassuring. On the inside, Ryan is a liability in pass coverage, Thomas covers well but is light and not a run-stuffer, and Martinez is just so-so at both. This seems, for now at least, an area for concern.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not believe the Mathew's problem is only related to injuries. He is just not big enough to deal with those athletic left tackles they have on the good offenses.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately, I do not believe the Mathew's problem is only related to injuries. He is just not big enough to deal with those athletic left tackles they have on the good offenses.

I firmly believe that the Packers are absolutely fine with Matthews and Perry starting as long as both stay healthy, quality depth is a major concern though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the new strategy defensively. Bring more power and push from the dline.
With LBs being more involved in coverage. Playing Mathews more like a ilb/olb at the olb position, and rookie Jones who was a 220 pound safety/cb who runs. 4.43 40, at ilb....
This is going to allow the new big physical CBs to be more aggressive. Man up...

House is good in man coverage. Never was good in zone. Jax defense I read, used him wrong. In that they played zone most the time.... I'm certain Ted knows what house is good for, and that's why we brought him in and plugged him into the #1 cb spot. Because we need his physical play at cb, to disrupt the wrs, and give everyone time to get to the qb...

This physical play is hopefully contagious with the rest of the dbacks

D

Deleted member 6794

With the new strategy defensively.

House is good in man coverage. Never was good in zone. Jax defense I read, used him wrong. In that they played zone most the time.... I'm certain Ted knows what house is good for, and that's why we brought him in and plugged him into the #1 cb spot.

I don't know where you get the idea from that the Packers are going to use a new defensive strategy this season. Capers definitely made some tweaks to it but overall the scheme is still the same.

House has never been a #1 cornerback over his career and I don't expect him to excel on top of the team's depth chart this season by any means. In addition you have to realize the Packers are playing zone quite a bit as well.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know where you get the idea from that the Packers are going to use a new defensive strategy this season. Capers definitely made some tweaks to it but overall the scheme is still the same.

House has never been a #1 cornerback over his career and I don't expect him to excel on top of the team's depth chart this season by any means. In addition you have to realize the Packers are playing zone quite a bit as well.
You don't see the change? First, he has been stacking the dline for the first time ever. He has been keeping who he has, adding Francois in fa. Adding high draft picks, 1St, 3rd and 4th rounders in last two years.... he plans to play more 3 man fronts, and man coverage with bigger, stronger, more physical starting CBs. King, Jones, and free agent house, are proof of that. Totally outside of Ted Thompson's norm.
Thompson keeps 5 Dlinemen, two of which are usually rookie projects. Totally abandons the trenches on defense imo. He concentrates on olbs and developed ilbs from late Round picks. Then he plays 5'11" 190 pound CBs...
Now he has house who is slightly bigger at 6' 195. But he is mean. He plays scrappy, like Al Harris used to. King, who is 6'3"! Then he drafts 6'1", 220 pound cb/s to play ilb. Highest pick spent on ilb since hawk. Then we let half the olbs go, and only draft a 4th rounder?
It's like he did a total 180!

Members online

Latest posts