David Bakhtiari as LT... What are the chances?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think the chances are that our 4th round pick becomes a suitable LT? I'm hoping we found a steal in the 4th and he's a stud. I know I'll get a few optimistic tags for that ;)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows... but he still has 4 presason games left to get to the opener healthy.
Let's not jump the gun here.

ArkansasPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will do alright. I read some recent articles about Bakhtiari and from what it sounds like, he has been actually a bit impressive at LT in camp so far.

Maybe there's hope yet....

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think he'll get help and the coaches will do what they can to make his job easier. San Fran being our first opponent doesn't help, they've got a crazy good pass rush and our passing attack won't be 100% since it will be Jordy's first game. May see more short routes than usual in the game plan to limit the number of times Rodgers has the chance to hold the ball for too long.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll do just fine. There are bound to be lapses here and there but he has very quick feet. He might have the best footwork on the entire roster. Combine that with a high intellect and there's no reason to believe he can't succeed.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
well, he does get to go against some pretty darn good guys in camp and at practice. Hell, if you can hold off CM3 for just half the time, you are doing a damn good job.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Camp reports about Bakhtiari have been nothing short of outstanding so far. Not only is he not overwhelmed at the NFL level, McCarthy has said on a couple of occasions that so far in camp he’s only had one mental error. For a rookie playing two spots on the OL, that too is remarkable. He is said to be very mature and probably benefits from the experience of his brother who played for 7 NFL teams in 5 years.

Before the draft the knock on him was he is a finesse blocker who’s soft and lacks strength. From what I’ve read, a couple of sources have said he does need to add strength but his technique, from his feet to hand use is very solid. Two quotes from recent articles stand out for me.
"The first day I did go against him and he rolled me back about 6 yards," defensive end Mike Daniels said of a drive block by Bakhtiari. "He's a long guy. Strong kid. You can tell he's been well-coached.

"He reminds me of (Josh) Sitton. He's got that real nice, cool personality, but when he gets on the field he turns into a psychopath."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...i-has-all-the-tools-b9965102z1-217699871.html

Regarding the family night scrimmage:
Perhaps most noteworthy was the degree of nastiness he displayed.

When Lang double-teamed Palmer on a rush, Bakhtiari applied the finishing touch and put him down hard. He pancaked C.J. Wilson at the point. He locked up with B.J. Raji, gained movement and pushed him over a pile.

Time after time, the rookie tried to get the last shove in. That might not be important in the outcome of a play, but over time a player that seeks to establish a level of physical superiority eventually will win out.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...e-move-to-left-side-b9970102z1-218618331.html

Losing Bulaga is bad and there’s no way to paint lipstick on that pig. Of course we all would prefer Bakhtiari starting on the other side of the OL with Bulaga still at LT. But very early indications are Thompson struck gold in the fourth round on an OL who probably fell in the draft because of a reputation that looks not to be true from early indications and perhaps because his college team stunk. He’s a rookie so he’ll no doubt make rookie mistakes. But to answer the question posed in the OP, ‘what are the chances he becomes a suitable LT?’, I’d say they are better than Newhouse’s chances and believe it or not that’s a lot to say about a rookie 4th rounder compared to a vet with two years’ experience at the position - even considering Newhouse’s level of play. One of the biggest knocks on Newhouse is he isn't nasty and consistently doesn't finish plays. Again, very, very early indications say that is not going to be a problem for Bakhtiari.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bakhtiari just has to be better than Newhouse, Barclay is decent at right tackle - Sitton/Lang are good, EDS is better than Saturday. We need to help the oline with more running plays - quick throws - screens - etc.

Improve the running game, we improve the oline and open things up deep for Rodgers.
Let's just hope the rest of the team is healthy this sea-... ugh, we'll probably lose another dozen starters - who am I kidding.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

The word is that David Bakhtiari is a gym rat. He loves to lift the weights. If the staff can build ten or more pounds of muscle on an already deceptively strong frame, we may have a strong LT for the long haul. He is said to be very smart and quickly picks up on what the coaches are teaching him. He has very quick feet and moves well. He comes from a quality program at Colorado and I have heard no reports of any bad behavior. I believe he will be a new and shining star on the O-Line.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we already know where the bar is set....at Newhouse. If Bakhtiari is better then it's gravy. If he's worse then GB will stick Newhouse back in and we can still at least be a team that makes the playoffs. It's time to be optimistic

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fear Bakhtiari is the key to the game Sunday.
And I have bad expectations.
#1- Alden & Justin Smith are the best 1-2 combo any LT could possibly face. That's not fair for a rookie.
#2- I think Bak is pretty good, but not that good.

I don't know if Campen and McCarthy expect Bak to handle these Pro Bowlers one on one. I doubt it. What I do expect is they give him a lot of help on that side, but we see too many leaks on the other side and in the middle.

Watch out for Ahmad Brooks.
Watch out for the other DL, and also Bowman and/or Pat Willis up the middle

I hope we catch them on some A-gap blitzes with quick hitters to J-Mike and screens to DuJuan Harris, check that, Eddie Lacy and Jonathan Franklin.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being like the job old Clifton did on James Harrison in the Super Bowl, and a 1 being the job Bulaga did last year in Seattle or all of them did vs the Chiefs and Giants in 2011, I expect about a 2 or 3 in San Fran from Bakhtiari.

How about you?
http://packersinsider.com/?p=5859

Hope I am wrong.

12theTruth

It's either 3-step drops or shotgun for Sunday. If Bakhtiari is as good as some people suggest, the Packers would have more confidence in standard formations allowing a 5 step drop. How much do you bet that we see very little if for nothing of that Sunday.

McCarthy needs to open the vault to get the 49er D off balance with his play calling. Mis-direction plays, WR screen, Cobb as an option QB for a play or two, off tackle to the weak side, Finley as a 4th wideout, etc., etc.

There is NO way our line can match up with the 49ers without MUCH help by the play calling. or even by a short field via special teams returns, or defensive turnovers.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Bakhtiari should get plenty of help Sunday. Hopefully we see a strong dose of the running game. Would love to see Cobb in the backfield a number of times as well. He was probably our best weapon in both games last year. McCarthy might think twice though with Cobb's bicep injury.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fear Bakhtiari is the key to the game Sunday.
And I have bad expectations.
#1- Alden & Justin Smith are the best 1-2 combo any LT could possibly face. That's not fair for a rookie.
#2- I think Bak is pretty good, but not that good.

I don't know if Campen and McCarthy expect Bak to handle these Pro Bowlers one on one. I doubt it. What I do expect is they give him a lot of help on that side, but we see too many leaks on the other side and in the middle.

Watch out for Ahmad Brooks.
Watch out for the other DL, and also Bowman and/or Pat Willis up the middle

I hope we catch them on some A-gap blitzes with quick hitters to J-Mike and screens to DuJuan Harris, check that, Eddie Lacy and Jonathan Franklin.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being like the job old Clifton did on James Harrison in the Super Bowl, and a 1 being the job Bulaga did last year in Seattle or all of them did vs the Chiefs and Giants in 2011, I expect about a 2 or 3 in San Fran from Bakhtiari.

How about you?
http://packersinsider.com/?p=5859

Hope I am wrong.

Don't worry too much, but Dujuan Harris is out for the year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
To answer the question in the OP, I think the chances of him becoming a “suitable LT” are very, very good. But talk about a baptism of fire – he’ll no doubt get schooled tomorrow as almost any rookie LT would be. My hope is Bakhtiari does so well, when Bulaga comes back next year he goes back to RT and they spend maybe a third round pick on an interior OL. Along with the return of Tretter and I hope some progress by Barclay would mean the starting OL as well as the depth becomes a little more than adequate. But that’s getting way ahead of ourselves.

Is Bakhtiari the key tomorrow? I don’t think so, but he’s one of the keys. Barclay at RT is another. I expect him to be OK run blocking but what about pass blocking? If both OTs need help, that severely restricts what the play-caller can do. What about Jordy and Cobb having to knock the rust off to get in sync?

On defense the Packers will likely be missing three starters, Brad Jones, Hayward, and Burnett. Even at full strength they would have their work cut out for them, missing 3 of 11… Because of the quality of their replacements they’re likely to miss Burnett the most. Hyde looks like a pretty good replacement for Hayward but counting on a rookie in a big game isn’t ideal. How about Tramon Williams? He had exactly one preseason play. Yes, he intercepted the ball but will rust be an issue for him too?

Anyway, I am not as pessimistic as this post may indicate. I expect a good game but I don’t expect a Packer win. BTW, I hope future threads aren't ruined by the presence of so many opposing fans (not entirely their fault). It seems any legit discussion of the game was overwhelmed by the back-and-forth BS. Maybe in the future at least one thread could be saved for just serious discussion?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good reasons ThxJ for me being somewhat pessimistic about a Packer win tomorrow. Having 2 OTs neither of whom has been tested is also what jumped out at me as cause for concern. It's a shame we have to play the 49ers coming right out of the gate with basically no time for an inexperienced OL to have a chance to work together and improve individually and as a group.

If the Packers can generate a decent running game they may have a chance, but that's also putting a lot of weight on another rookie's shoulders, Lacy. I have high hopes for him, but the 1st game of the year without a lot of reps in the preseason?

It will also take a good effort from what we are expecting to be an improved DL to have a chance at this one. I am particularly curious about Datone Jones, whom we've heard very little from after his ankle injury. Is he ready? Is he still hobbled by the ankle and playing with pain? Not a word on his status that I've seen.

In short, if the Packers win this one it will be a helluva victory. If the Packers get stomped, well, then we'll be revisiting the Fire Capers thread sooner than later I imagine.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

12theTruth

Bakthiari wasn't bad for a rookie. But he gave up his share of pressures. The Packers had 5 or 6 three and outs due in no small part to the line and a rookie LT.

Granted Bakthiari should continue to improve and he looks better than Marshall Newhouse, that's for sure.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Bahktiari Bandwagon is rolling out jump on while u can, Bryan "Knee Injury" Bulaga, and Marshall "Holding" Newhouse bandwagons have crashed off of Lombardi Lane.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts