Davenport valuable backup to Green

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers: The Packers have re-signed restricted free agent Najeh Davenport, the club announced Friday.

A powerful running back, Davenport returns for his fourth season in Green Bay, where he has served as the top backup to Pro Bowler Ahman Green, and also as the team's primary kickoff returner. In 11 games last season, with one start, he rushed for 359 yards on 71 carries (5.1 avg.), including two touchdowns; he also had four receptions for 33 yards and 14 kickoff returns for 286 yards (20.4 avg.).

Davenport, a 6-foot-1, 250-pound veteran out of Miami (Fla.), enjoyed the top performance of his career vs. St. Louis Nov. 29, rushing 19 times for 178 yards and a touchdown. The output ranked as the NFL's third-highest total over the last 20 years for a player in his first league start, in addition to being the fifth-highest one-game total in team history.

Originally a Packers compensatory selection in the fourth round of the 2002 draft, Davenport has averaged 5.1 yards per carry (187 carries, 963 yards) with five touchdowns, and 25.6 yards per kickoff return (36 returns, 921 yards). In other news, the Packers, who are looking for more speed at the linebacker position, are looking into the possibility of signing Kansas City free agent Monty Beisel.

The 26-year-old Beisel, a former defensive end who made the transition to linebacker in 2002 and started nine games last season, will visit Green Bay during the middle of next week, after visiting New England.

Beisel was in Pittsburgh on Wednesday and has remained in contact with the Chiefs during the free-agent period.

Beisel missed five games last year with calf and groin injuries, but started all but two he didn't play in. He finished the season with 54 tackles, 2

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Contract was only a one yr extension. Does anyone else feel like GB missed a golden opportunity to sign him to more than 1yr and at a very good price? At least a two year deal would have given GB a little wiggle room @ TB should Green's contract demands become outragous after next season. Maybe there's a club option involved?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
Contract was only a one yr extension. Does anyone else feel like GB missed a golden opportunity to sign him to more than 1yr and at a very good price? At least a two year deal would have given GB a little wiggle room @ TB should Green's contract demands become outragous after next season. Maybe there's a club option involved?

good point..maybe they want to wait for one healthy season from him before they give him years. he's definately got some durability issues. on the other hand, a healthy solid season from him=even more scratch next season.

maybe those nagging injuries are more serious?

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they missed a golden opportunity when they didn't take the Dolphins 2nd rd pick, at the beginning of last year, for him. But you are right as far as this signing, a 2 year deal automatically gives them a fall back if things can't be worked out with Green.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Traxx, I thought Miami inquired about him around the trade deadline this year? Was there an offer on the table before that? I think Miami sent this year's 2nd rd pick to Philly for the QB? I believe Miami was offering one of their DBs? I don't think GB could have added any of those contracts even if they had wanted to? I am w/ you though, I think something could have and should have been worked out w/ them. 2006 2nd rd pick wouldn't have been bad if GB couldn't add payroll.

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
turd boy davenport is a very valuable member of the team, it makes me wonder why he wasnt locked up to a 5 year deal, also makes me wonder why the tender was so low and he could have left for a 5th round pick to a different team

yes its all nice the numbers he has had over the last couple years, dont look for that performance this season

theres a considerable lack of talent in the oline, 30 and 44 are going to take a real pounding this year as will old 4.

Members online

Latest posts