Davante

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a few months it won't be the 4th highest. In a couple years it won't even be top 10. Relax.
I'm sorry, did I seem stressed? By your logic, pretty much every deal is ok because eventually the cap will go up. Adams isn't even a top ten WR in the NFL. Not sure why the team needed to pay him that much. Just thought it was interesting that the team paid so much for a WR that really hasn't been way anyone would call dominant.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, did I seem stressed? By your logic, pretty much every deal is ok because eventually the cap will go up. Adams isn't even a top ten WR in the NFL. Not sure why the team needed to pay him that much. Just thought it was interesting that the team paid so much for a WR that really hasn't been way anyone would call dominant.

He's tops in the NFL in TD receptions the last two years despite missing games and playing with Brett Hundley. Is that not dominant?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's come a long way, and it's a testament to his desire, dedication and work ethic. I was one calling for him to be gone a couple of years ago, but man, it's like night and day. I don't think he'll ever be considered in the class of some super WR's like Julio Jones, but he's way more than good enough.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
He's tops in the NFL in TD receptions the last two years despite missing games and playing with Brett Hundley. Is that not dominant?
Exactly.

He's the only guy that stood out with Hundley behind center (talking about pass catchers). That's how you know you have a difference maker.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
players salaries aren't getting cheaper. 5-6 years ago $10-12m was the going rate...now it's $14-15m+. the cap keeps going up so percentage wise it's probably about the same...so no biggie.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jhezzzz what NFL do you watch? I would put him above AJ Green, Dez Bryant and Doug Baldwin as of this season.

Top young talent that has been signed to a solid deal that keeps him happy and producing but not breaking the bank. Well deserved.

H

HardRightEdge

There's "who else ya got?" money in that deal. I believe it says either Nelson or Cobb will not be around for 2018. If I had to guess, which I don't, I'd say Nelson is on borrowed time.

H

HardRightEdge

"...the Green Bay Packers were able to use $5.6 million in 2017 salary-cap space, therefore lessening the burden on future caps over the life of those contracts."

Demovsky persists in this faulty line of reasoning despite the obvious fact that unused cap rolls over. It makes absolutely no difference if you use $5.6 mil in cap in both 2017 and 2018, or zero in 2017 and $11.2 in 2018, to take one example.

Whatever reasoning may have resulted in the timing of this extension, it surely is not to use 2017 cap.

As noted elsewhere, it could be the accelerating of $25 million in signing bonuses for the two players into 2017 might yield a $2.5 million cash tax savings for the ballclub with the reduction in corporate tax rates taking affect in 2018. This is certainly far more plausible than Demovsky's empty rationale, a bit of financial engineering right up Ball's alley.

I think Mr. D. was fed a line of crap by a source who did not want to disclose the actual rationale, whatever it might have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
This year fellows was a hard year to judge any coach or player in GB.
So many unknowns with injurers, players playing with a backup QB, etc.

Now the job comes down to who do we keep and who to let go.
Who deserves a pay raise and even then it's a crap game for the future.

Who here would like to have that job to make choices to put the correct pieces in place,
then have thousands of stock holder fans screaming down your throat when we loose a game or two.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Any other category in which he's been top 10 or so? If it's TDs, somebody like Bubba Franks would come a lot cheaper.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jhezzzz what NFL do you watch? I would put him above AJ Green, Dez Bryant and Doug Baldwin as of this season.

Top young talent that has been signed to a solid deal that keeps him happy and producing but not breaking the bank. Well deserved.

AJ Green worse than Adams?!? I might be talked into Baldwin and I'll grant you Bryant but Green is a FAR better receiver than Adams...look what Green has accomplished with Dalton for goodness sakes!

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Green worse than Adams?!? I might be talked into Baldwin and I'll grant you Bryant but Green is a FAR better receiver than Adams...look what Green has accomplished with Dalton for goodness sakes!

“As of this season”.......

Adams has done more with less “this season” than Green has done with a much better QB than Hundley

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"as of this season" implies a body work, including 2017. "this season" would have been more clear, and, given that Adams played two less games, probably pretty accurate.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“As of this season”.......

Adams has done more with less “this season” than Green has done with a much better QB than Hundley

Uhmmm, Green had 75 catches for 1,078 yards. Adams had 74 for 885. And Rodgers still played 7 games...and seven games of Rodgers is >>>>>>> than 16 games of Dalton.

Look, there are a lot of other receivers you can try and compare Adams to but arguing that Adams is better than Green is kind of a silly hill to plant your flag on.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"as of this season" implies a body work, including 2017. "this season" would have been more clear, and, given that Adams played two less games, probably pretty accurate.

Uhmmm, Green had 75 catches for 1,078 yards. Adams had 74 for 885. And Rodgers still played 7 games...and seven games of Rodgers is >>>>>>> than 16 games of Dalton.

Look, there are a lot of other receivers you can try and compare Adams to but arguing that Adams is better than Green is kind of a silly hill to plant your flag on.

So “this season” Adams in my opinion was better than Green and I stand by that. Adams was carted off during the Bears game and missed a further 2. Compared to the one Green missed due to suspension. I think if Adams had his starting QB like Green all season and without the concussions, he would of finished not only with more TD’s but yards and catches. I mean the stats werent even that far away.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Evans’ deal in TB is about a 17% jump over Adams’ yearly average.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's not surprising as Evans has put up significantly better numbers than Adams.

Absolutely. I’m just pointing it out because some posters were mad that Adams’ contract made him a top five receiver in salary. Several, myself included, noted that the next round of extensions would put his deal in perspective. So now I’m pointing out that it has started.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's almost like teams and agents project ahead for an increasing cap and other players deals.

What a wild thought!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And 7 of those games how many were played with a mash unit at OL? Even Aaron needs time to throw and through the first 7 games he was markedly less effective than usual.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of Cobb and Nelson Nelson is the older receiver and you'd think he'd be the one to get cut... But A) he's been more team conscious in the past and even gave the team a discount on his current deal and B) he's shown he could still be effective with Rodgers under center as recently as 2016. Cobb has produced at a pedestrian level ever since we paid him. I suspect that Nelson would not only be easier to work with on an extension but that he might offer more value to the team assuming Aaron could stay healthy.