Davante

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the gems you can find in the lower rounds will naturally push Cobb and even Nelson aside (if he doesn’t retire before) and Rodgers has probably been the best in the league in making average receivers look good. Adams is coming into his own and the two of them will be lethal next season

In "lower rounds" I assume you mean Rounds 1 or 2, where it seems the Packers will have to go to find a decent WR to replace Jordy and/or Cobb. Thompson hasn't found a WR worth much in any rounds but 1 and 2, since he found James Jones in Rd. 3 back in 2007.

It is actually interesting when you look at all the WR's that TT has drafted, while having 2 HOF QB's. The only ones that really amounted to much are the first and second rounders (and Jones). Maybe I am missing someone?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more interested in seeing what they do for D because that is what wins championships.
If it was only the O, we would be in the SB yet again.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Very true. So...extend Capers and give Clay a raise? :coffee:

Until they get faster in the middle of the defense it won't matter who the D coordinator is IMO. Need to get Haha closer to the box. Need a free safety that can fly around back there sideline to sideline. Also need an ILB that can fly and play well in coverage.

Right now it's just a bunch of spare parts on defense.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true. So...extend Capers and give Clay a raise? :coffee:
Something like that.
Seems to be what they think the only solution to our problems on D is.

IMH and very unprofessional opinion, I think they should only get the best D players through the draft they can get.
We got the O.
Just focus on fixing the D.
And either fire Capers or get him to change his strategy.

Unless they do these things, again IMHO, don't expect them to return to the SB.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davonte is awesome and he deserves this contract. That being said.....the best qb in the league should be able to win games with average wr's. There is absolutely no reason he needs 14, 12 and 12 million dollar wr's to make this offense work. Cobb and Jordy both need to go and the $$ needs to be spent on nasty, fast and elite defensive players.
Cobb and Jordy didn't have A-Rod throwing to them that much this year.
Agree with you on building up the D though.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until they get faster in the middle of the defense it won't matter who the D coordinator is IMO. Need to get Haha closer to the box. Need a free safety that can fly around back there sideline to sideline. Also need an ILB that can fly and play well in coverage.

Right now it's just a bunch of spare parts on defense.
I think that's just an excuse that Capers wants us to believe. Ryan and Martinez were two of the top 25 ILBs this year per PFF, Clark was one of the better run stoppers in the league, Burnett is one of the better box safeties, and we know how we know how good Daniels is. Why were they so awful against the run? Scheme.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think that's just an excuse that Capers wants us to believe. Ryan and Martinez were two of the top 25 ILBs this year per PFF, Clark was one of the better run stoppers in the league, Burnett is one of the better box safeties, and we know how we know how good Daniels is. Why were they so awful against the run? Scheme.

That's all great but we still need a "game changer" in the intermediate middle. I like Roquan Smith. I also like the idea of putting DR at free safety.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's all great but we still need a "game changer" in the intermediate middle. I like Roquan Smith. I also like the idea of putting DR at free safety.
No doubt it could be better. I just think that we should at least have an above average defense, as opposed to one which is a huge liability. We should at least be good against the run.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good coordinators can scheme properly and coach players into becoming game changers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Good coordinators can scheme properly and coach players into becoming game changers.

Let's not get carried away just yet. First they actually have to fire Capers or get him to retire or whatever. Then they need to bring a competent DC and coaching staff in. Then Thompson needs to shore up a few spots via free agency, draft etc etc.

Not trying to be negative but I will believe it when I see it.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not get carried away just yet. First they actually have to fire Capers or get him to retire or whatever. Then they need to bring a competent DC and coaching staff in. Then Thompson needs to shore up a few spots via free agency, draft etc etc.

Not trying to be negative but I will believe it when I see it.
I completely agree. My reply wasn't specifically directed at this team or Capers. Any team, any sport....coaches make or break a team. Good players "game changers" can alleviate a coaching void, but they are mostly useless if they and the team aren't coached/schemed to their potential.

Reaction score
Let's not get carried away just yet. First they actually have to fire Capers or get him to retire or whatever.
Will they have the intestinal fortitude it takes to man up and admit this system is failing? I’m still not so sure that the seed of doubt has been fully germinated

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is we've seen Rodgers not be able to make every receiver look great. Hell he struggled when Adams got thrust into a #1 role before he was ready just 2 years ago.

One of the biggest myths right now is Rodgers will make mediocre receivers look good/great even though we've seen that's not so much the case.

I love Rodgers but he needs talented pass catchers as much as any QB

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s a bunch of money no doubt. I hope that Adams can be a clear cut #1 wr. He’s gotta be on Julio Jones/Antonio Brown level next season. It’s a lot of pressure but going into his fifth season at damn near 14 mil a season he doesn’t have a choice. I need to see double digit TDS and at LEAST 1.000 yds.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
three receivers making big bucks isn't bad...if they're all in their prime. they're not sadly so adjustments will be made. i halfway expect to see all three still there next year (after the adjustments) to give it one more go.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a lot of money tied up in the WR group. I'm almost certain we do something with Cobb or Nelson now, if not this franchise is nuts.

My thoughts exactly. You cannot let Jordy and Cobb go into the season at 10 mil each...you just can’t. I love Jordy and Cobb but they need a playmaking TE just as much as they need a slot or another #2 wr hands down.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After having the Adams and Lindsley contracts sink in for a bit, Ted has completely lost it. I wanted both players to come back but they are WAY overpaid. Peppers, Bennett, and these 2 contracts are the exact same. All good players but are the worth the money Ted gave him, HELL NO. Age has caught up to Ted, time to get him the f out if he isn't retiring now. This is the exact same **** as the Favre run, a SB team early then an underachiever the rest of their careers. 2 championships in 30 years with 2 of the best 10 qbs of all time, gtfoh, tired of this ****. It's move like this is why we are in this position. Finally grow some ******* balls Murphy and make a move.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. You cannot let Jordy and Cobb go into the season at 10 mil each...you just can’t. I love Jordy and Cobb but they need a playmaking TE just as much as they need a slot or another #2 wr hands down.

Why Not?

They aren't strapped for cap space.

It's only for one year then they both cone off.

There's a pretty significant gap between them and any replacement on the roster and rookies take time to develop

Yes both will be grossly over payed but I just don't see the problem keeping both on for a year with our cap situation. I guess if your expecting us to go hog wild in FA, (and im talking BIG spenders), I can see cutting one of them or Mathews but as of right now i just dont seeing the point when weighted against savings + replacement production

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why Not?

They aren't strapped for cap space.

It's only for one year then they both cone off.

There's a pretty significant gap between them and any replacement on the roster and rookies take time to develop

Yes both will be grossly over payed but I just don't see the problem keeping both on for a year with our cap situation. I guess if your expecting us to go hog wild in FA, (and im talking BIG spenders), I can see cutting one of them or Mathews but as of right now i just dont seeing the point when weighted against savings + replacement production

You make a good point about the 1 year replacement argument, but their production without Aaron this year is comical. However even if he does cut them both (which I feel like would be the right move) I still don't trust Ted with any roster moves based on the most recent overpay extensions. If I gave him $10 for a meal, he'd probably use all $10 for 1 medium fries at McDonalds. People would still be satisfied with it because some food is better than none, but he overpays when he doesn't have to. The guy has lost it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seemed a little high to me at first also, but in a couple of years it will look good if not a bargain.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a few months it won't be the 4th highest. In a couple years it won't even be top 10. Relax.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the structure of the deals it clearly has Russ Ball’s telltale fingerprints on it. The only way Adams deal becomes a problem is if the salary cap comes down which would screw every team in the league and result in a massive bloodletting of starting players all across the NFL landscape. Adams deal looks pretty good to me and appears normal for a guy who they clearly expect to be the team’s number 1 receiver in the next year or two.