Davante Adams

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Got to believe in the coaching staff. They're with these guys everyday and know who belongs in our locker room and which ones don't.

D

Deleted member 6794

Got to believe in the coaching staff. They're with these guys everyday and know who belongs in our locker room and which ones don't.

While the front office and coaching staff were correct about Adams they have gotten it wrong more often than right evaluating wide receivers since the start of the 2016 season. Here's a list of WRs who made the initial 53 over the past six seasons:

Jared Abbrederis, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis, Jeff Janis, Jake Kumerow, Ty Montgomery, J'Mon Moore, Darius Shepherd, Malik Taylor, EQ, MVS.

Aside of MVS none of them ever had a season with more than 328 receiving yards and none of them ever caught 40 passes in a single year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
True, but the front office didn't feel the need to spend more capital on adding talent at wide receiver. That was a mistake.
Maybe, maybe not.
One would have to look at where the draft capital was spent and how that has affected the team's success. There are more positions than just WR to consider when putting together a roster.

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not.
One would have to look at where the draft capital was spent and how that has affected the team's success. There are more positions than just WR to consider when putting together a roster.
If our D team can get under that <19.0 points per game scoring area? I have absolutely no concern that this WR grouping is good enough to help Win the vast majority of games. Obviously in combination with our RB’s TE’s etc..

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not.

Hmmm, very good receiver in Michael Pittman or Tee Higgins vs backup QB who hasn’t helped at all…. I’ve looked at draft capital and firmly concluded it was spent VERY poorly in this situation.

Reaction score
Hmmm, very good receiver in Michael Pittman or Tee Higgins vs backup QB who hasn’t helped at all…. I’ve looked at draft capital and firmly concluded it was spent VERY poorly in this situation.
No GM hits in every draft selection.

So now what?

Even if Love never takes a snap, Gute grades out decent for a GM. If you recall he got us an extra Day 1 selection in trading around just a few years ago. So technically? That #26 pick was a wash.

We have no idea which player we would’ve even selected if not Love. The chances of the Packers selecting a WR were 50/50 at best and I think I’m being very generous. Go look at when the last time we selected a Day 1 WR.
There’s about a 55% he goes Defense, another 20% chance OL etc.. You can wish for a WR in a redo of that draft but I’d submit that odds were against you in that WR assumption.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Even if Love never takes a snap, Gute grades out decent for a GM.

Actually Gutekunst grades out pretty well since taking over as the Packers general manager. It's possible that he will be mostly remembered for how trading up to select Love works out, especially if the team doesn't win another Super Bowl with Rodgers though.
If you recall he got us an extra Day 1 selection in trading around just a few years ago. So technically? That #26 pick was a wash.

I don't consider that to be a decent approach to look at it.

We have no idea which player we would’ve even selected if not Love. The chances of the Packers selecting a WR were 50/50 at best and I think I’m being very generous. Go look at when the last time we selected a Day 1 WR.
There’s about a 55% he goes Defense, another 20% chance OL etc.. You can wish for a WR in a redo of that draft but I’d submit that odds were against you in that WR assumption.

Actually it doesn't matter if Gutekunst had selected a wide receiver instead of Love. Every other player drafted until the end of the second round that year aside of Isaiah Wilson has had a larger impact on their team than Love.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No GM hits in every draft selection.

So now what?

Even if Love never takes a snap, Gute grades out decent for a GM. If you recall he got us an extra Day 1 selection in trading around just a few years ago. So technically? That #26 pick was a wash.

The question was on draft capital and ignoring needs at receiver. If he goes defense then it further supports my contention, does it not?

Reaction score
The question was on draft capital and ignoring needs at receiver. If he goes defense then it further supports my contention, does it not?
Gute selecting love has become an ongoing pity party for some posters. The level of whimpering has almost catapulted Dom Capers to expert DC status in comparison.

I’ve got news.

It’s nearly 2.5 years since the 2020 draft. We’re not going to do a draft over. We don’t live in the past, you’ve got me confused with a Chicago Bears fan! :eek:

Also on thread for once:

Davante Adams is gone and he’s NOT coming back. He 100% purposefully and willfully negated the Packers offer to stay.

Between the “anti-Love” guys and those stroking Adams for his adamant decision to bail? We’ve probably got enough Whiners in our fanbase alone to have a Whiners banquet event and fill the Lambeau atrium area. Soon to be enough that you guys could start your own derivative forum.

Whimperersforum.com

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute selecting love has become an ongoing pity party for some posters. The level of whimpering has almost catapulted Dom Capers to expert DC status in comparison.

I’ve got news.

It’s nearly 2.5 years since the 2020 draft. We’re not going to do a draft over. We don’t live in the past, you’ve got me confused with a Chicago Bears fan! :eek:

Also on thread for once:

Davante Adams is gone and he’s NOT coming back. He 100% purposefully and willfully negated the Packers offer to stay.

Between the “anti-Love” guys and those stroking Adams for his adamant decision to bail? We’ve probably got enough Whiners in our fanbase alone to have a Whiners banquet event and fill the Lambeau atrium area. Soon to be enough that you guys could start your own derivative forum.

Whimperersforum.com

So, after 2.5 years all mistakes are forgotten? Pretty cushy gig for a GM if you ask me.

I’d rather be “whiner” who demands accountability and good results than an “apologizer” making excuses. Forums would be super-fun if everyone just said “i agree!” so good luck with your dream on that one.

For the record, I’m perfectly fine with Adams wanting to play with a close friend and the Packers trading him once they realized he wouldn’t play for them long-term.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’ve got news.

Wait a moment, while it's common sense that it takes at least three years to fairly evaluate a draft class a terrible pick shouldn't be allowed to be criticized after only two???

Reaction score
Wait a moment, while it's common sense that it takes at least three years to fairly evaluate a draft class a terrible pick shouldn't be allowed to be criticized after only two???
I’m not sure that was meant to be funny but if it’s intended consequence was to be serous then it’s really more funny!!
Well in here we get critical before their plane lands in GB! Why wait to complain when you can just start the pity pile on early! :roflmao: (E.g.Rashan Gary was just 1 recent example, but the best example was Davante Adams… What a cluster of mistaken identity we had for him)

To answer your question as objectively (and without smiling!) as humanly possible.
If a player has only 1 complete year of on-field experience (camp plus preseason)?? I think it’s much too early to make a firm determination on their life expectancy career prognostication

Amari has had 1 year
Love has had 1 year
Newman has had 1 year
Etc..

So yes! hold all career evaluations until the 2023 offseason! Good luck with that! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction score
So, after 2.5 years all mistakes are forgotten? Pretty cushy gig for a GM if you ask me.
Ha. Well yeah I guess that’s the debate isnt it? Was it an error to choose at the most volatile position of QB in the event our GM thought there was doubt as to a particular players convictions or allegiance or even quite possibly even declining performance? (as I’ve shown the latter multiple times) . My answer is a simple NO.
Is insurance bad if you don’t use it?? You could argue that all day long at always come out on top.. until you need it anyways.

For the record, I’m perfectly fine with Adams wanting to play with a close friend and the Packers trading him once they realized he wouldn’t play for them long-term.
ok. I respect that. Then in your case, that part was not directed at you, I apologize for using “reply”

The reply is directed the sentiment heard in the media. Unfortunately the media is making it sound like the Packers (our GM) purposefully wanted to ship Davante away, when the truth is that it was Davante himself that got that ball rolling and put the finishing touches on his own willful departure. Truthfully Brian did everything short of throwing $35m at him (I believe from recent reports that the final # was approaching $29m-30M)

The ultimate departure of #17, in-turn, falls squarely on Davante Adams own shoulders. We could even say #17 is directly to blame for our WR situation

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure that was meant to be funny but if it’s intended consequence was to be serous then it’s really more funny!!
Well in here we get critical before their plane lands in GB! Why wait to complain when you can just start the pity pile on early! :roflmao: (E.g.Rashan Gary was just 1 recent example, but the best example was Davante Adams… What a cluster of mistaken identity we had for him)

To answer your question as objectively (and without smiling!) as humanly possible.
If a player has only 1 complete year of on-field experience (camp plus preseason)?? I think it’s much too early to make a firm determination on their life expectancy career prognostication

Amari has had 1 year
Love has had 1 year
Newman has had 1 year
Etc..

So yes! hold all career evaluations until the 2023 offseason! Good luck with that! :rolleyes:

Case-in-point, take a gander at Davante Adams first two seasons in the NFL:

"A bust".... :p

D

Deleted member 6794

Amari has had 1 year
Love has had 1 year
Newman has had 1 year
Etc..

It wasn't meant to be funny at all. I agree that it takes at least three seasons to fairly evaluate a draft class. With that being said it should be OK to criticize the general manager for making a mistake years after making a selection.

Was it an error to choose at the most volatile position of QB in the event our GM thought there was doubt as to a particular players convictions or allegiance or even quite possibly even declining performance? (as I’ve shown the latter multiple times) . My answer is a simple NO.

At this point there's zero doubt selecting Love was a big mistake.

We could even say #17 is directly to blame for our WR situation

No, Adams isn't the one to blame for the receiving corps having lacked talent behind him on the depth chart for several years.

Reaction score
No, Adams isn't the one to blame for the receiving corps having lacked talent behind him on the depth chart for several years.
Let’s both count together to make sure we get the correct answer.
How many Superbowl rings does Davante Adams have?

Hmmm. Ummm. Jeeesh. You go first :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

Let’s both count together to make sure we get the correct answer.
How many Superbowl rings does Davante Adams have?

Hmmm. Ummm. Jeeesh. You go first :coffee:

That has absolutely nothing to do with Adams not being responsible for a lack of talent at wide receiver.

Reaction score
That has absolutely nothing to do with Adams not being responsible for a lack of talent at wide receiver.
I was just having fun.

As long as you entertained my silliness though, I’ll play :)

Let me begin by reiterating that the man wanted to be close to his family and I actually respect that very much.
Now that that’s behind us. It was his decision to leave for less $$ Han the Packers offered. Correct me if I’m wrong here. It was beyond control of our FO to retain him within reason. You normally seem like a logical fellow, I highly doubt you pay Adams over $30M annual

Any team that loses their #1 WR ..
let me rephrase that…. Any team that loses an All-Pro level WR is going to be dramatically lessened.
I don’t think that comes as such a big surprise.

Take into account that MVS wanted $10M annual area in FA and then you have a very tough decision. Take Compensatory draft selection plus save $10.5M annual (approx, but less the replacement player). Call it Romeo Doubs etc..

Put your Captain GM hat on. You have zero control over Adams leaving. Done deal. Bye bye.

Then MVS asks you to beat his offer or he’s bye bye. What would you do??
If you retain him. Which players do you cut around $10M? Let’s balance our teams checkbook together. I’m on your team. :tup:

Please give yes or no. Then list your player cuts if it’s yes.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just having fun.

As long as you entertained my silliness though, I’ll play :)

Let me begin by reiterating that the man wanted to be close to his family and I actually respect that very much.
Now that that’s behind us. It was his decision to leave for less $$ Han the Packers offered. Correct me if I’m wrong here. It was beyond control of our FO to retain him within reason. You normally seem like a logical fellow, I highly doubt you pay Adams over $30M annual

Any team that loses their #1 WR ..
let me rephrase that…. Any team that loses an All-Pro level WR is going to be dramatically lessened.
I don’t think that comes as such a big surprise.

Take into account that MVS wanted $10M annual area in FA and then you have a very tough decision. Take Compensatory draft selection plus save $10.5M annual (approx, but less the replacement player). Call it Romeo Doubs etc..

Put your Captain GM hat on. You have zero control over Adams leaving. Done deal. Bye bye.

Then MVS asks you to beat his offer or he’s bye bye. What would you do??
If you retain him. Which players do you cut around $10M? Let’s balance our teams checkbook together. I’m on your team. :tup:

Please give yes or no. Then list your player cuts if it’s yes.

MVS was NEVER going to be a team's #1 receiver. The front office absolutely knew that the receiver room was a wasteland outside of Davante and did nothing to rectify that (in any meaningful way) in the draft for years. The better question is why this team doesn't have Tee Higgins or Pittman Jr. on it. You're creating some false test where the ONLY option to replace Adams was to re-sign an inconsistent vertical threat, that's nonsensical. Gute incorrectly thought he should move on from Rodgers and it has cost the team a replacement for Adams already being on the roster. Gute, overall, is a very good GM but the way people avoid the obvious answer on this is just stunning.

Reaction score
MVS was NEVER going to be a team's #1 receiver. The front office absolutely knew that the receiver room was a wasteland outside of Davante and did nothing to rectify that (in any meaningful way) in the draft for years. The better question is why this team doesn't have Tee Higgins or Pittman Jr. on it. You're creating some false test where the ONLY option to replace Adams was to re-sign an inconsistent vertical threat, that's nonsensical. Gute incorrectly thought he should move on from Rodgers and it has cost the team a replacement for Adams already being on the roster. Gute, overall, is a very good GM but the way people avoid the obvious answer on this is just stunning.
OOHHHH!!
I got it now.

You’re saying had we not drafted Love 3 drafts ago, we’d be in primo shape at WR. I gotcha.

I just never considered that we’d be just perky at WR because whoever we drafted would’ve replaced like 2,000 yards and 20 TD’s.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok. Ok. @Sunshinepacker Let’s do it your way and convince me please.
You get Pittman. I’ll fire Sammy.

We lost 1,983 yards of 2021 WR production. Plus 14 TD (MVS+Adams)
Pittman scored 3.5 TD average per season. Sammy scored 4.375 TD per season.

Sammy Watkins career average
(632 yards per)is -158 yards less than Pittman career (792 per average season) and 1 TD less per year.
We gain 158 season yardage and lose a TD.

- 158 (I’m giving you the Pittman + adjustment)
______
______

We’re also allowing you a +158 yards bonus difference in ability adjustment to because I’m feeling fair! :) So Pittman gets 950 yards (792 career avg + 158 per season adjust over Sammy average) adjusted and thus 1033.5 yards left over ti be accounted for.

Also 14 TD lost f/2021 season
+ Sammy picked up about 1 TD more Using Pittman though we lose 1 TD

Where are the other LOST
15 TD’s and 1,033 yards coming from? ?

Heaven help me if you say TE’s :cry:

And who is our backup QB again?? We need to list him here to be fair because Jordan never happened.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts