Davante Adams

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted this link in another thread, but it belongs here. This PFT piece was posted in June. It starts by referencing Cobb saying he probably won’t be able to match his 2014 production because players like Adams will reduce his opportunities. Then it quotes Rodgers: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/16/aaron-rodgers-davante-adams-is-going-to-be-a-star/

So Rodgers didn’t like Adams’ practice habits early in his rookie season but as of the middle of June of this year he was proud of his “approach and his attitude”. We’ve obviously seen a huge regression from Adams on the field. I kind of wonder how Rodgers would evaluate Adams’ practice habits now, but it really doesn’t matter – his 'approach and attitude' when it counts is crap. The best thing I can write about Adams is he's young and can still it together, but someone needs to give him a huge kick in the ***. The other thing I think is worth mentioning is many of us expected Adams' return to full health would provide the outside and deep threat that would free up Cobb and allow Jones to move to his more natural #3 WR spot. Adams’ performance – particularly his lack of effort - are bad enough, but I think (some of) our expectations magnify it.
But when has Adams proved to be a deep threat? He doesn't have the speed. Many LBs could cover him downfield.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But when has Adams proved to be a deep threat? He doesn't have the speed. Many LBs could cover him downfield.
I think many of us saw him as a deeper threat than Cobb or Jones. And he certainly should have been a threat outside. In spite of his recent play, I don't think "many" LBs could cover him downfield.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think many of us saw him as a deeper threat than Cobb or Jones. And he certainly should have been a threat outside. In spite of his recent play, I don't think "many" LBs could cover him downfield.
Jones, at age 30, sure. Cobb isn't a great deep threat, but he's certainly faster and more explosive than Adams. I've just seen no proof of Adams being that guy now, last year, or even in college. If you can find one shred of promising evidence that he could be, I'd like to see it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Adams reaction to his performance:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp.../davante-adams-angry-drops-vs-bears/76485210/

By no means am I trying to exonerate Adams from his poor play this year, but keep in mind it is only his second year in a rather complicated offense and having to deal with a nagging sprained ankle. Jordy's career didn't really take off until his 4th season (2011). I think too much was expected out of Adams this year, especially after Jordy went down and so far Adams hasn't lived up to those expectations or the pressure put on him to take up the slack. I doubt the Packers are ready to declare Adams a bust, nor am I. If there was a ton of talent waiting behind him, I would say bench him for a few games, but without that luxury, I think think the Packers are stuck letting him try to play through it and play Janis a bit more until Montgomery or Abby are back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Jones, at age 30, sure. Cobb isn't a great deep threat, but he's certainly faster and more explosive than Adams. I've just seen no proof of Adams being that guy now, last year, or even in college. If you can find one shred of promising evidence that he could be, I'd like to see it.
Cobb is getting the most attention from opponents so as I said Adams should have been the deeper threat of the three, and most certainly an outside threat. BTW, If you can find one shred of evidence that many LBs could cover Adams downfield, I'd like to see it.

Sky King

Reaction score
So another INT or stalled drive? Why, he's been the "go to guy" for the past 3 losses!:mad:

Lacy and Starks are pulled and seated after 1 fumble, even if they're on a roll... why does Adams deserve chance #24 to make a play?
Boy, this is something that I have been wondering about, too. It has to be a bit demoralizing for players like Lacy, Starks and others to be on a very short leash when this guy can seemingly do no wrong. From the outside looking-in it sure seems to look like a double-standard has been applied.

Adams may be ready for the big stage someday but it does not seem to be right now. The kid needs to be taken out of the pressure cooker for a while. He's sure not making the plays and his confidence has to be shot. Bench time may actually do him some good.

Last edited:

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
Where is this Adams? Shoot where is this whole offense?!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...If there was a ton of talent waiting behind him, I would say bench him for a few games, but without that luxury, I think think the Packers are stuck letting him try to play through it and play Janis a bit more until Montgomery or Abby are back.
If his butt is parked on the bench (active, but only in dire emergency) then AR won't target him double-digit times.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we just want a guy out there who can make a simple catch, juke a guy and push for extra yards, I'd rather it be Montgomery when he is healthy and bury Adams in the practice squad.

There's absolutely no chance Adams would clear waivers and make it to the Packers practice squad.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams looks slow and lethargic. While he looks like a monumental bust it's still too early to tell. Perhaps he could develop into a good possession receiver like James Jones. For now he looks bad but the Packers can't afford another high draft pick bust. There have been wY too many busts in recent drafts for the Packers to cut him The Packers are stuck with Adams for now.

Mat Bastian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear that when Adams was drafted the trait that was most trumpeted was his amazing hands. It was his huge reception numbers in college that were offered up as evidence of this. It's like he was drafted as a possession receiver with upside as far as I could tell. When I watched him last year he reminded me a bit of Javon Walker. Not any more. GB has a team full of possession receivers and Cobb. GB needs a quick, fast field stretcher in the worst way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Adams looks slow and lethargic. While he looks like a monumental bust it's still too early to tell. Perhaps he could develop into a good possession receiver like James Jones. For now he looks bad but the Packers can't afford another high draft pick bust. There have been wY too many busts in recent drafts for the Packers to cut him The Packers are stuck with Adams for now.

While there's no denying that another early round bust would be a huge disappointment the draft position shouldn't matter when decisions are made about the final 53, game day actives and playing time. If Adams can't get his act together pretty fast I could see the Packers spending an early selection on the position in next year's draft and putting him on notice.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't write off Adams in his second season... He's been bothered by injury this year and is still young. Certainly it's disappointing that he hasn't stepped up to the plate... He looks terrible out there.

He's kind of been talked up by coaches and teammates without ever having really done anything. He should be benched and have to fight his way back into the lineup...he seems to need that motivation. Problem is were thin as it is...tough situation to be in.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why doesn't this staff make moves and change things? Most NFL teams when they see a problem they fix it immediately. I would say losing at home to Detroit and Chicago that requires a change! How long do we have to suffer before they do something?!
No reason to panic. Remember our last SB? Remember the Giants, Ravens and Cardinals? All of those teams had losing stretches.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No reason to panic. Remember our last SB? Remember the Giants, Ravens and Cardinals? All of those teams had losing stretches.
I'm not going to go looking for the stats but guessing I can find the other 98% of teams through NFL history that had the same kind of losing stretches that didn't fare so well. I'm an optimist, but also a realist and so far the Packers offense, or lack there of, has proven that you can't rest on what they did in the past nor can they just expect to flip a switch and all is well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Since when do players get 24 games to prove how good they can possibly be? Adams has more yards and receptions than Jordy Nelson had in his first 29 games. Jordy's longest reception in his first two seasons was 51 yards. Adams longest catch is 45 yards. Is that six yards the difference between deep threat and not-deep threat?

D

Deleted member 6794

Since when do players get 24 games to prove how good they can possibly be? Adams has more yards and receptions than Jordy Nelson had in his first 29 games. Jordy's longest reception in his first two seasons was 51 yards. Adams longest catch is 45 yards. Is that six yards the difference between deep threat and not-deep threat?

Well, the difference being that Adams has started 19 games in his career so far with Nelson only getting two starts during his first two years, behind stuck on the depth chart behind Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and at times James Jones with the Packers getting additional production out of the tight end position from Donald Lee and Jermichael Finley in 2008 and ´09.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
As much as I am disappointed with Adams so far this year it is way to early to give up on him. He proved last year he can play.

I remember a time early in JJ's career where there were similar concerns about drops and lackluster play. It ended up working out okay.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As much as I am disappointed with Adams so far this year it is way to early to give up on him. He proved last year he can play.
I've posted Adams should sit until he gets his act together but this, as his highlights as a rookie remind us, is the reason not to give up on him (not that there was anyway they were going to before his rookie deal was up). Adams has shown he can play, unlike another second rounder Jerel Worthy for example. Even before he got injured Worthy never showed he could succeed in the league.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not ready to give up on Adams, I was never sold on him to begin with, but he's shown he's capable of playing better than he has been. If he gets it mentally, he'll be more productive for us but this level of production can not continue if he wants to play another season for anybody.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which reception are you referring to? The one against the Carolina prevent defense, or the one against the Cowboys? He made a good move against a defender, but he was not far down the field.

I haven't seen the energy and effort from him that makes believe he will get open or do anything when the ball is not in his hands. Even during the TD against the Cowboys, which should be exciting for a young WR in a playoff game, he basically jogged into the end zone once he was in the clear. I'm not saying he should do a front flip like Brown, but I would rather see a player excited to score and want to race to the end zone each and every time.

Intensity is something you can't coach, and I don't see him having much.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the difference being that Adams has started 19 games in his career so far with Nelson only getting two starts during his first two years, behind stuck on the depth chart behind Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and at times James Jones with the Packers getting additional production out of the tight end position from Donald Lee and Jermichael Finley in 2008 and ´09.

So, then Nelson saw easier coverage in his first two seasons. The starts and other players on the team have nothing to do with the point I was making. It's absolutely ridiculous to say a guy can't be a deep threat after 24 games.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've posted Adams should sit until he gets his act together
That is an interesting take, one I agree with. I wonder if that could be a scheme or play calling issue, something that could be, you know, a coaching problem? Or is the onus for Adams to sit entirely on the player to make that choice?

Last edited: