Datone Jones

D

Deleted member 6794

It's very disappointing. I remember when we took him, he's the guy I wanted, and I remember jumping up when we took him in excitement. I had extremely high hopes for him and now he looks to be another Ted 1st Rd disappointment.

Datone actually played pretty good after being moved to outside linebacker, let's hope he can build on it in 2016.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had Jones as my 'breakout player' before last season. Apparently he's now being reduced to an experiment to try to get some worth in line with his draft status.
I don't know about the "worth in line with his draft status" comment. More aptly, I would say that with one year left on his rookie contract the Packers want to see if there is any worth that he can offer elsewhere before they part ways. The cynical view would be Ted sticking with Ted's guys. The optimistic view would be that they are making one last effort to make something out of nothing. At this point it doesn't really hurt unless he's hogging a roster spot from a more deserving player.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about the "worth in line with his draft status" comment. More aptly, I would say that with one year left on his rookie contract the Packers want to see if there is any worth that he can offer elsewhere before they part ways. The cynical view would be Ted sticking with Ted's guys. The optimistic view would be that they are making one last effort to make something out of nothing. At this point it doesn't really hurt unless he's hogging a roster spot from a more deserving player.

Sounds like you're actually in agreement with the statement you're not sure of.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dump him, trade him and see if you can get a 5th-7th. Somebody might gamble. He's tying up some good money as a 1st Rounder and a roster spot.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dump him, trade him and see if you can get a 5th-7th. Somebody might gamble. He's tying up some good money as a 1st Rounder and a roster spot.

His cap # is $2.45M for 2016, or "peanuts" to use a term you're probably more familiar with. Jesus man if it were up to you the entire team would be traded.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why TT bothers drafting college DL's that weigh 285 or 290 because they (accept for Daniels) aren't worth anything in the "Green Bay 3-4". TT needs to quit ****ing-around and draft 6'-4"+, 320 lb+ guys for the 3 line positions. Neal, Perry, Jones are/were too small for DL so get "experimentally" tried at OLB... they may be stout run defenders on the edge but lack the speed to cover or rush the passer. If huge DL/OLB's are what is needed then draft huge DL's and huge OLB's rather than attempt to convert a guy. Just my $.04 out of frustration with failed experiments...

In 3 years Jones has 51 tackles and 8 sacks... is THAT worthy of $2.45Mil this year? I don't think so, save the $1.457Mil ($998K dead money), cut him and use his roster spot for a young OLB with OLB experience and coverage speed.

D

Deleted member 6794

In 3 years Jones has 51 tackles and 8 sacks... is THAT worthy of $2.45Mil this year? I don't think so, save the $1.457Mil ($998K dead money), cut him and use his roster spot for a young OLB with OLB experience and coverage speed.

I'm fine with discussing about not re-signing Datone after next season if he doesn't improve significantly in 2016. But either trading or releasing him right now doesn't make any sense.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you think Ted is going to take on damn near $1M in dead money you have another thing coming sir.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, Ace. We only have what in dead money now, 600K?

$678,593 according to overthecap.com. $1M in dead money on one guy still on his rookie deal that Ted himself drafted in the 1st Rd isn't going to happen.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For HALF of that $1.457Mil we could sign (for example) Sam Acho - 6'-3", 257 lbs OLB whose had 13 sacks and 163 tackles in his part-time role over the last 5 years... AND he'd help spread the love of Shakespeare in the locker room. Wins all around. ;)

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His cap # is $2.45M for 2016, or "peanuts" to use a term you're probably more familiar with. Jesus man if it were up to you the entire team would be traded.

Dead money aside, that's still cash that could be contributed towards a player who might have a chance of making a real contribution on defense. Barrington can put out his numbers and then some this year. Jones is little more than a guy to to come off the bench and give the real guys snaps off.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you think Ted is going to take on damn near $1M in dead money you have another thing coming sir.

Thompson did it with Hawk and Brad Jones last season. Their play was worse than Datone's and the cap savings significantly higher though.

For HALF of that $1.457Mil we could sign (for example) Sam Acho - 6'-3", 257 lbs OLB whose had 13 sacks and 163 tackles in his part-time role over the last 5 years... AND he'd help spread the love of Shakespeare in the locker room. Wins all around. ;)

Acho is for sure a worse player than Datone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Datone was going to be more than he has become so far. Looked to have what it took coming out of college in terms of strength and drive. He's had some highlights, but it it takes more than that and then he must sustain it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though Von Miller did boost the value of the position, having a bunch of average OLBs does not necessarily help. If they were going to make this move and also move Matthews outside, then they shouldn't have brought Perry back.

I know you can't have too many pass rushers, but that's only if they're good. I would rather TT have brought back Hayward if he was going to overpay one of his players, knowing this personnel move was going to take place. At least he's good at something.

D

Deleted member 6794

Though Von Miller did boost the value of the position, having a bunch of average OLBs does not necessarily help. If they were going to make this move and also move Matthews outside, then they shouldn't have brought Perry back.

I know you can't have too many pass rushers, but that's only if they're good. I would rather TT have brought back Hayward if he was going to overpay one of his players, knowing this personnel move was going to take place. At least he's good at something.

The Packers will use Peppers and Jones as elephants meaning both of them will at least partially move inside in subpackages. If the team hadn´t re-signed Perry that would have left them with only Matthews and Elliott to rush the passer from the edge on a significant percentage of the pass plays. I´m fine with Thompson bringing Perry back but he overpaid for him.

With Randall and Rollins flashing a ton of potential during their rookie seasons I was absolutely in favor of letting Hayward walk in free agency.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will use Peppers and Jones as elephants meaning both of them will at least partially move inside in subpackages. If the team hadn´t re-signed Perry that would have left them with only Matthews and Elliott to rush the passer from the edge on a significant percentage of the pass plays. I´m fine with Thompson bringing Perry back but he overpaid for him.

With Randall and Rollins flashing a ton of potential during their rookie seasons I was absolutely in favor of letting Hayward walk in free agency.
I was fine with it, as well. Best case scenario was to use Perry's money for an ILB, but free agency obviously isn't an option in this regime. I just meant he provided more value through production and depth to our best position on defense, and if I had a pick between the two for which unnecessary player he chose to keep, I'd pick him. They could easily draft someone who would match Perry's non-existent production.

MM referred to Perry as an "elephant" as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was fine with it, as well. Best case scenario was to use Perry's money for an ILB, but free agency obviously isn't an option in this regime. I just meant he provided more value through production and depth to our best position on defense, and if I had a pick between the two for which unnecessary player he chose to keep, I'd pick him. They could easily draft someone who would match Perry's non-existent production.

MM referred to Perry as an "elephant" as well.

While Perry´s sack production in the regular season has been disappointing over his career he has played pretty well in the playoffs. In addition he´s the better run defender out of the outside linebackers.

I was in favor of using free agency to address ILB and TE as well and am still disappointed Thompson once again chose to ignore it but nevertheless I´m convinced Perry fills a need on defense.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Perry´s sack production in the regular season has been disappointing over his career he has played pretty well in the playoffs. In addition he´s the better run defender out of the outside linebackers.

I was in favor of using free agency to address ILB and TE as well and am still disappointed Thompson once again chose to ignore it but nevertheless I´m convinced Perry fills a need on defense.

I agree on Perry. If he can stay healthy, I don't think it's crazy at all that he could have double digit sacks. Now, he just needs to stay healthy which is a big question mark.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree on Perry. If he can stay healthy, I don't think it's crazy at all that he could have double digit sacks. Now, he just needs to stay healthy which is a big question mark.

Perry missed two games last season but he only played a total of 38.7% of the defensive snaps in the games he played in. With Matthews moving outside again I don´t expect the number to increase significantly so expecting him to get double digit sacks it´s unrealistic.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry missed two games last season but he only played a total of 38.7% of the defensive snaps in the games he played in. With Matthews moving outside again I don´t expect the number to increase significantly so expecting him to get double digit sacks it´s unrealistic.

Is Mathews moving back outside though? I know MM wants that, I have my doubts that this will actually happen or at least not to the degree that MM suggested. Just too many questions at ILB. Assuming he does, I would agree with what you've said.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is Mathews moving back outside though? I know MM wants that, I have my doubts that this will actually happen or at least not to the degree that MM suggested. Just too many questions at ILB. Assuming he does, I would agree with what you've said.

McCarthy has been pretty adamant about moving Matthews back outside this offseason. It´s for sure not ideal to start Barrington and Ryan inside so I´m still holding out hope Thompson will finally address the position adequately either with one of the remaining free agents or in the draft.